APC Tour 2017 discussion (includes spoilers!)

Discuss Maynard and Billy's side project
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Re: APC Tour 2017 discussion (includes spoilers!)

Post by Ettan »

Best APC tour since 2003! Glad to have seen it live.
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Ettan wrote:Best APC tour since 2003! Glad to have seen it live.
Agreed. They redeemed themselves. Let's just act like the 2011 eMOTIVe tour never even happened.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

fortysixand2 wrote:
Agreed. They redeemed themselves. Let's just act like the 2011 eMOTIVe tour never even happened.
Huh? How can you possibly act like it never happened when Feathers and Hourglass have eMOTIVE written all over them? Moreover, the new album, whenever the fuck it comes out, is apparently going to be Puscifer Lite mixed with Depeche Mode...hardly think redemption is the word I would use for APC at the moment. Regression seems more apt.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

I honestly enjoyed the 2011 show that I went to more, despite the heavy Emotive set list. That had more to do with being in a slightly better venue and having better seats though, along with the better crowd.

Different experiences for everyone, and all that.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:
fortysixand2 wrote:
Huh? How can you possibly act like it never happened when Feathers and Hourglass have eMOTIVE written all over them? Moreover, the new album, whenever the fuck it comes out, is apparently going to be Puscifer Lite mixed with Depeche Mode...hardly think redemption is the word I would use for APC at the moment. Regression seems more apt.
I think you need to enjoy the moment more, rather than keep dwelling on the past, and worrying about the future.

The recent tour seemed to be a good one - comparisons to old tours are inevitable, but in my experience a great show can go a long way to reducing the blow of old mediocre ones.

As to the next album, I hold concerns as you do, however it's not really worth spending time debating until they are actually releasing it. After all 10k Days didn't really end up sounding like Meshuggah, despite them being widely touted as a strong influence by the band at the time.

Maybe the album will be shit, but personally I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt until they start releasing tracks.
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

I didn't like Hourglass at all and Feathers was just alright but they're works in progress so who knows how they'll sound by they time they're released. The eMOTIVe tour certainly had its moments (Annihilation, When The Levee Breaks and Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie sounded good live) but overall I thought it lacked energy and passion, kinda like Tool in 2009.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

hellboy wrote:
THE1TRUEMOG wrote: Huh? How can you possibly act like it never happened when Feathers and Hourglass have eMOTIVE written all over them? Moreover, the new album, whenever the fuck it comes out, is apparently going to be Puscifer Lite mixed with Depeche Mode...hardly think redemption is the word I would use for APC at the moment. Regression seems more apt.
I think you need to enjoy the moment more, rather than keep dwelling on the past, and worrying about the future.

The recent tour seemed to be a good one - comparisons to old tours are inevitable, but in my experience a great show can go a long way to reducing the blow of old mediocre ones.

As to the next album, I hold concerns as you do, however it's not really worth spending time debating until they are actually releasing it. After all 10k Days didn't really end up sounding like Meshuggah, despite them being widely touted as a strong influence by the band at the time.

Maybe the album will be shit, but personally I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt until they start releasing tracks.
I am very much in the moment. At this moment in time the new songs APC have played live don't give me much to be positive about. Feathers is okay, but Hourglass is an absolute piece of shit. Add to that Billy's RECENT statement about new APC being more electronic and dancey and having a Depeche Mode sorta vibe...well that literally is an instant meh for me. eMotive was a terrible album. This iteration of APC seems to want to go the eMotive/Puscifer lite route and I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in that.

Add to that Tool's complete lack of movement on actually completing a new album and Maynard's RECENT tweets that no new album will be out in 2017 from either band...well again...not much to be positive about.

In both cases the benefit of the doubt is long past it's expiration date.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Again, I agree with pretty much everything you're saying (but they were killer live, even the eMotive songs). And maybe this is not actually consuming you as much as it seems from your posts... but it sure seems like you're giving this more weight than needed.
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:This iteration of APC seems to want to go the eMotive/Puscifer lite route and I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in that.
This statement alone suggests you're not living in the moment, despite claiming otherwise.

I agree with what you're saying, but don't see any reason at all to be making judgements and assumptions on unwritten and incomplete material at this point in time. That's not very "in the moment"
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

I'd have to agree with Mog. Right now, in this moment the only thing we can judge APC's new material is what it is or was live recently/right now. Wether or not they change it in future is TBD.

Take that and Billy's recent comment about being electronic/dancy/DP like, it is what it is for the time being. Hope they prove us wrong and put out decent material but at this time they are what they are.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Krazy_blah wrote:I'd have to agree with Mog. Right now, in this moment the only thing we can judge APC's new material is what it is or was live recently/right now. Wether or not they change it in future is TBD.
And that's just fine, it sounds to me though like Mog has already made his mind up over future material, which is the point I'm trying to make.
bonebroke
Geacon

Post by bonebroke »

Ravenpig wrote:Eh I saw them last Wednesday and they weren't that into it so whatevs
That's because it wasn't really Maynard back there moving in and out of the shadows...
► Show Spoiler
I'm kidding. I'm glad I went, but I do know where you're coming from. It's tough being on the road all the time.
rinkwhopper
Has been

Post by rinkwhopper »

bonebroke wrote: It's tough being on the road all the time.
It's tough living millions of people's dreams, getting paid boat loads of cash, and having women throw themselves at you...?
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

rinkwhopper wrote:
bonebroke wrote: It's tough being on the road all the time.
It's tough living millions of people's dreams, getting paid boat loads of cash, and having women throw themselves at you...?
Those parts maybe not so much, but the rest probably does suck. Living on a tour bus and having to catch up on sleep, waking up in a different city just about every day of the tour, being away from home, etc. You end up doing too much partying it'll come back to bite you in the ass too. Usually the reason why musicians end up getting addicted to drugs or alcohol.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

my opinion... For what it's worth:

I will not make judgements or broad assumptions regarding music that isn't released.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

If it's out there for you to hear, is it not released?
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:If it's out there for you to hear, is it not released?
Has the new APC album been secretly released?
ZYV
My pain is just an excuse

Post by ZYV »

this is cool. I really like most of the rig rundown videos but this a great one of APC.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

^That was a thorough rundown. Thanks for posting that.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
nousername
of Arimathea

Post by nousername »

Yes, a thorough APC rig run down. Next I hope they post a thorough APC wig rundown.
ZYV

Post by ZYV »

nxrm wrote:^That was a thorough rundown. Thanks for posting that.

No problem. It would be cool if they did a tool one and included all four members. I'll just keep dreaming. Lol.
ZYV

Post by ZYV »

They're back in tour and I got a ticket. Anyone know who is opening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

ZYV wrote:They're back in tour and I got a ticket. Anyone know who is opening?
The Beta Machine I think
ZYV

Post by ZYV »

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

Setlist Aftershock

The Package
The Hollow
The Noose
Weak and Powerless
Rose
3 Libras (All Main Courses Mix)
Thomas
Magdalena
Hourglass
Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drums