South American shows

Discuss Maynard and Billy's side project
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

South American APC and Puscifer shows are coming soon, and I got an email from a local fan today hinting that they will both be broadcast at Lollapalooza on a local TV Station:

apc and puscifer on tv. multishow (tv channel) will broadcast the entire show lollapalooza 2013 brasil (on tv and web)

Not sure exactly what site/channel this will be on as I haven't really researched it yet (an am unlikely to for a few days).  If anyone wants to do some legwork and get some more details then it'd be appreciated...
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

They already have some acts up on their site:

http://multishow.globo.com/Videos/

I don't know if they have a live broadcast or anything.  My Portugese is a little rusty.
Don't mow your lawn
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

You can view here: http://tvfree4.me/multishow-ao-vivo-online

or for less ads and better quality use: http://multishow.globo.com/lollapalooza ... cobertura/

You have to use a proxy for that one though.

QOTSA next. Just missed Tomahawk
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Glad I checked in.  Catching a few QOTSA tunes.  Josh sounds like he's seriously struggling on the vocals.  One of the guitars is out of tune.  Jon is killing it on the drums.  Good fit.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

APC on now, if anyone's interested.  Just started.  MJK is even speaking Portugese.  Looks to be heavily eMotive as expected.  Oh well....

EDIT:  Maynard's vocals are much too high in the mix, which is quite unusual.  I have to say that he sounds quite pitchy at times (dawg).  Horrible mix.  From what I can hear of the rest of the band, they sound great.  I guarantee Maynard would not be pleased.

Some Schleyer references and waaaaaay to much eMotive.  
Chimichanga
Maynard Believer

Post by Chimichanga »

Wow. That. Was. Bad.... Time to hang up the APC towel.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Chimichanga said
Wow. That. Was. Bad.... Time to hang up the APC towel.

Judging them based on a shitty video on the internet is stupid.

That said I agree.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

being that I've not seen them in a decade or so, and agreeing with Kittaan's sentiments about the mix, there were a few gems I thought... the tracks that can be delivered in a lower register, like the package for instance, didn't sound bad at all to me considering the source/web stream... counting bodies was decent also... nowhere near the delivery of the 'old' days, but I'd of likely not complained to have been there.

also, haven't seen anything else from this except a youtube of a new queens track and I thought that was decent also.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Quetzalcoatlus99
Maynard Believer

Post by Quetzalcoatlus99 »

Did anyone catch a stream of it at all? Especially By and Down or something?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Quetzalcoatlus99 said
Did anyone catch a stream of it at all? Especially By and Down or something?

Yeah, that's what Pete and I were talking about up there...    And yeah, they played By and Down.  It was decent.

The mix did improve, the vocals not so much.  On reflection, I'm not sure it was all Maynard's issue... I think much of the vocal cringes came from piss poor harmonies.

Regarding the "Time to hang up the APC towel" comment from Señor Chimichanga... basing an opinion solely on this performance, I couldn't agree more.  However, having recently seen them for two nights in a row in a small club in SF (Mer de Noms and 13th Step full album shows) I couldn't agree less.  They still kick major arse.  Just not in a massive festival setting.  It just doesn't translate well. There were likely other issues  - not being well prepared and possibly monitor issues.  It really appeared that the vocal awfulness might be due to them just not being able to hear themselves in relation to the music.

By the way, watching The Black Keys now, and they sound pretty good, including the vox.  Not my favorite, but good background music.  Especially for a duo (a bassist joined them for some tunes).
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Bottom line when Maynard has to extend himself vocally it is going to be problematic.  I have said for some time now that his voice is shot.  Yeah he can pull off variations of songs and can still get it done in small venues where he doesn't have to extend himself as much.  Much of his Puscifer work sucks, but, I have to admit, he is fantastic on songs like Polar Bear, The Humbling River, Horizons and The Green Valley.  The reality is that both age, and his love of drinking wine, has significantly weakened his voice.  He makes up for it with creativity, but in a festival setting there is nowhere to hide.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

most people aren't as good at 48 as they were at 28.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

ilikecheese said

Agreed.  However, Jimmy's obsession with Wine certainly hasn't helped things.

fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Early on in the show the crowd starting chanting what sounded like "Tool, Tool, Tool,.." Maynard then said quietly, "Good luck with that one." Not sure if he was replying the the crowd or something else happening on stage.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

^ I remember that comment.  I think MJK was referring to Billy speaking to the crowd in Portugese, and them responding.  None of them know more than a phrase, clearly.  I didn't hear any "Tool" chant.  But I may be wrong.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

fortysixand2 said
Early on in the show the crowd starting chanting what sounded like "Tool, Tool, Tool,.." Maynard then said quietly, "Good luck with that one." Not sure if he was replying the the crowd or something else happening on stage.

South Americans are obsessed with Tool coming to play over there, so it doesn't surprise me.  Really don't understand why they haven't already.
Quetzalcoatlus99
Maynard Believer

Post by Quetzalcoatlus99 »

Kittaan said

Yeah, that's what Pete and I were talking about up there...    And yeah, they played By and Down.  It was decent.

The mix did improve, the vocals not so much.  On reflection, I'm not sure it was all Maynard's issue... I think much of the vocal cringes came from piss poor harmonies.

Has anything been posted anywhere? There were a few clips on Youtube... But no By and Down.

From the clips, it doesn't sound like Maynard's (or Billy's) vocals are actually that bad. They're just really, really loud. Almost like he's singing karaoke. The mix sounds completely dry, too. It sounds like it's coming from a soundboard without any reverb or delay applied to the vocals.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

mogeffingmog said

ilikecheese said

Agreed.  However, Jimmy's obsession with Wine certainly hasn't helped things.

Agreed.  As far as his vocal chord health and resulting capability of such, I wonder what the sliding scale would be like if he we're never to have touched alcohol?  just how much better would he be able to sing now as opposed to using alcohol and how would you judge that...?  Hmmm..........vewy subjwective wabbit....
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Korax
Bronco's Fan

Post by Korax »

I felt the need to sign on and post about this.  He has been screaming his brains out for well over 20 years now, and to still be doing that at almost 50 years old is nothing short of commendable.  With that said, Happy Easter and enjoy Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead.  I know I will.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

^ Oh come off it.  Jens Kidman, age 46, (Meshuggah) has been screaming, literally, since 1989.  Meshuggah have been around longer than Tool and Kidman sounds better now than he did in 89 when they released their first EP Psykisk Testbild.  Maynard is two years older, 48, and his voice is a pale comparison to what it used to be.
lipanconjuring
of Arimathea

Post by lipanconjuring »

The full stream is on Youtube now.

Something about some of my favorite musical acts and proshot recordings from outdoor festival sets seems to never make for the most memorable performances... I don't know if its largely due to the mix or what, but it seems like the vox are usually too isolated which leads to you being able to pick out all the little fuckups and such.

Maynard sounded awesome on The Package, Rose & The Outsider though. Vicious singing during those numbers. I notice more and more how his voice has gotten lower, though. I'm sure its just the natural progression of age, but its kinda too bad it doesn't have that crazy high pitched rubber band element that it used to anymore. That thing was able to go all over the place in the span of a second at one point not too long ago, and it added so much to the quality of his performances.

Also, something about the way he dances is just beginning to look... geriatric. That's shitty to say, but its like he's trying to keep some of the possessed stage presence he had a decade ago except all he can do is bend his legs and brace his hands on his knees, or wave them in the air like spaghetti noodles. Or maybe he's just afraid of his sunglasses falling off.

Outsider
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Outsider »

just got done watching the live puscifer stream about an hour ago. it was a pretty good show. billy came out on stage and maynard gave him a glass of wine and Eddie Vedder also came out on stage and watched the show while drinking the wine straight from the bottle then after the song was over maynard walked over to him and eddie topped off maynards glass.  
Korax
Bronco's Fan

Post by Korax »

mogeffingmog said
^ Oh come off it.  Jens Kidman, age 46, (Meshuggah) has been screaming, literally, since 1989.  Meshuggah have been around longer than Tool and Kidman sounds better now than he did in 89 when they released their first EP Psykisk Testbild.  Maynard is two years older, 48, and his voice is a pale comparison to what it used to be.

I do agree with you there.  Saw Meshuggah last month in Boston, even with the flu...Jens killed it.  Just saying that people are being a bit harsh toward the man who has given us such great music and amazing tours throughout the years.  If you watch the fan videos from the show, it's much better than the TV broadcast.  You get the full sound spectrum of everything that is going on, rather than the crap mix we all heard.
topgun
Maynard Believer

Post by topgun »

I'm sorry... but this is rough. I know some have mentioned that the vocals were too high in the mix... and I think that highlights the actual problem: Maynard can't sing anymore. Fact.  And I'm sure anyone would have vocal damage after 20 years of screaming.  It's not meant as a mean-spirited indictment... it's just what's going on when he has to sing live.  Sure, he can 'hide' his vocals when they're buried in the mix... or when he gets to scream through a distorted microphone for songs like "Ticks and Leeches" and "Hooker with a Penis"... but that's about it.  See for yourself... APC on a pro-shot live broadcast from South America 2 days ago.  What do you think?

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

topgun said
I'm sorry... but this is rough. I know some have mentioned that the vocals were too high in the mix... and I think that highlights the actual problem: Maynard can't sing anymore. Fact.  And I'm sure anyone would have vocal damage after 20 years of screaming.  It's not meant as a mean-spirited indictment... it's just what's going on when he has to sing live.  Sure, he can 'hide' his vocals when they're buried in the mix... or when he gets to scream through a distorted microphone for songs like "Ticks and Leeches" and "Hooker with a Penis"... but that's about it.  See for yourself... APC on a pro-shot live broadcast from South America 2 days ago.  What do you think?

The man, the myth, the legend... creator of my hands down favorite TA thread - Jubal... 

"Maynard can't sing anymore. Fact."

Well, I do think you're being a bit harsh dude... as I mentioned above, that was my initial reaction.  But when you listen back to this track you posted, focusing on the parts MJK is singing on his own, yes there are some rough spots, but nothing heinous.  It's when you focus on the vocal harmonies (mostly Billy I believe), that's where you want to cover your ear holes.  Again, I'm not sure they aren't capable of hitting the right notes simultaneously... I am hoping that it was just a case of them not being able to hear each other due to technical issues in that huge venue or equipment malfunction... I could hear the vocals quite clearly on the last tour a couple of years ago and the harmonies sounded excellent.  I had no complaints in that area.  And I heard the two shows I saw from dead center on the rail, halfway back, on the sides and right in front of the soundboard.  Maynard also sounded quite good with Puscifer (where his vocals are highlighted more than usual) and great, for the most part, on the last two Tool tours I saw.

Saying Maynard can't sing based on this is just whack.  

Also, I believe that vid is from yesterday's broadcast (Saturday).