Donkey Punch The Night

Maynard's multimedia extravaganza!
ThatGuy
Bronco's Fan

Post by ThatGuy »

James said
I've only heard Dear Brother as of yet, which I love. Currently listening to Breathe through the website, and enjoying it so far...I will probably be buying a copy.

Where did you get a listen to Dear Brother at? Youtube has failed at giving me a sneak peak at EP.

Chill316
Maynard Believer

Post by Chill316 »

I downloaded this last night. After a good smoke and a listen I have some thoughts.

1: Bohemian Rhapsody- Not really that great. I mean its a good cover but I really don't like that song in the first place so this did nothing for me because Puscifer didn't make it their own. I listen to When the Levee Breaks by APC, that version is completely different then the Zeppelin version. Like it or not but APC really made it their own. Puscifer does a note for note kind of cover and I really don't hate it but wont be replaying it.

2: Breathe- This is what I like about Puscifer. What really made me like Puscifer is Rev 22:20, because it has such dark and sexy lyrics. Breathe has that and this the kind of, I want to have sex to this song, feel to it like Rev. Happy that it is original and different. I am sure you guys could care less about what music I have sex to but thats how I can describe this song to you. lol

3: Dear Brother- Again happy to have something original. Good funky flow to it. Not on my top Puscifer songs but its certainly not their worst. Would like to see it live because they always make there songs better live.

4: Balls to the Walls (Pillow Fight Mix)- Why the hell do the have track 7 when they have this? I really enjoy this song and have seen it on youtube but happy to have a good quality version. Can't say that I have heard the original version of this song by Accept, so I couldn't tell you if they "made it their own". I like it and will play this more then once for sure.  

5: Breathe (Drumcell rework)- Nothing special. If you really like Puscifer and remixed songs then you will like this. Thats stating the obvious but it's the truth. Trippy when stoned, but not much I can say about it. I might even delete it.

6: Dear Brother (Denton rework)(Big Black Delta)- Skip it. Repetitive and boring. Will never listen to again. I will delete

7: Balls to the Walls (Silent Servant El Guapo)- Boring!! HAHA. Skip it. Repetitive. I will delete a song once more.

8: Bohemian Rhapsody (Sonoio rework)- You know what? I really dig this song. Haha. As much as I dislike the first track this one is really trippy and cool to me. Gives you heavier reworking of Bohemian and it might be a little repetitive like the other reworks but it just sounds better and works for me. Sonoio whoever he or she is did a pretty good job in my opinion.

All in all if you are a fan of Puscifer it would be worth the $7 they are charging on Amazon. I myself don't think I will buy it now that I do own it. My wife might buy it to have the hard copy so at least somebody in my household will give Maynard money. I really wish that they threw away all the reworks except for Bohemian and put in live tracks from their tour. They have such great live tracks that I would really have paid $7 for it. Hell if they had 4 Live tracks added I would have paid $10! If there is just one bone in your body that doesn't like Puscifer, Pass. Not like you were going to buy it anyways. haha
fortysixand2

Post by fortysixand2 »

Something I noticed... The pre-order at puscifer.com says there are 7 tracks and amazon.com has 7 tracks as well but the leak has 8. I wonder if he decided to drop the last track, "Bohemian Rhapsody (Sonoio rework)?"
James
Fanboi

Post by James »

ThatGuy said

James said
I've only heard Dear Brother as of yet, which I love. Currently listening to Breathe through the website, and enjoying it so far...I will probably be buying a copy.

Where did you get a listen to Dear Brother at? Youtube has failed at giving me a sneak peak at EP.

This website has notoriously shitty audio upload quality, so I apologize if that happens. Anyway, here's a link

Davvda
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Davvda »

This EP has actually changed my opinion about Puscifer 180° for the worse. I've always sort of enjoyed Puscifer because of the vocals despite the boring instrumental work, themes and overall composition but this EP made me go listen to all Puscifer releases and made me realize how boring and empty it sounds. V is for Vagina and the EP C is for... is alright because Puscifer didn't take itself seriously. With ComP and DPtN it has just become too much and too serious. And that's just the music. The production in the last releases sounds like some electronic presets put together in FL studio. I'm done ranting now. 
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Davvda said
This EP has actually changed my opinion about Puscifer 180° for the worse. I've always sort of enjoyed Puscifer because of the vocals despite the boring instrumental work, themes and overall composition but this EP made me go listen to all Puscifer releases and made me realize how boring and empty it sounds. V is for Vagina and the EP C is for... is alright because Puscifer didn't take itself seriously. With ComP and DPtN it has just become too much and too serious. And that's just the music. The production in the last releases sounds like some electronic presets put together in FL studio. I'm done ranting now. 

I completely agree. After hearing this piece of shit, I've found it hard to go back to ANY PUSCIFER release.

It's hard to take an artist seriously when they insist on themselves so often. His "Bohemian . . ." cover is the sole reason why everyone hates "EMOTIVE": he's not good enough to pull off amazing songs that have been implanted in popular culture consciousness. He barely "reworks" them, and they often end up sounding limp and boring.

Seriously, who did he think he was covering that song?

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

crow011 said

Davvda said

I completely agree. After hearing this piece of shit, I've found it hard to go back to ANY PUSCIFER release.

It's hard to take an artist seriously when they insist on themselves so often. His "Bohemian . . ." cover is the sole reason why everyone hates "EMOTIVE": he's not good enough to pull off amazing songs that have been implanted in popular culture consciousness. He barely "reworks" them, and they often end up sounding limp and boring.

Maynard James Keenan, one of the most renowned frontmen in rock history.

"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

gamebounty said

crow011 said

Davvda said

Maynard James Keenan, one of the most renowned frontmen in rock history.

LOL, I don't know how "renowned" he is.

You're basically saying he's up there with Jim Morrison and David Bowie.

Holy shit is there anything funnier than a TOOL fanboi . . .

gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

If you don't know how renowned he is then you are ignorant. People go so ape shit over his lyrics alone that it has become a mission for the members of Tool (including kennan) to draw more attention towards the music.

And no, he doesn't have Morrison or Bowie status, but from all the rockers who came out of the 90's era, Maynard's among the top. Like it or not.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

gamebounty said
If you don't know how renowned he is then you are ignorant. People go so ape shit over his lyrics alone that it has become a mission for the members of Tool (including kennan) to draw more attention towards the music.

And no, he doesn't have Morrison or Bowie status, but from all the rockers who came out of the 90's era, Maynard's among the top. Like it or not.

I met a bunch of people last night from America and Canada who were huge music fans. Four of them played music together in a band-type situation.

We got to talking about music, and as we were all fans of 90s music, we talked about the big bands from that era.

None of them knew who TOOL were, let alone who the 'Nard was.

Dream on, fanboi.

ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

gamebounty said

All respect to Maynard and David

but Jim is in a class by himself.

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

In my book Morrison is the best frontman ever.
Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Ravenpig said
In my book Morrison is the best frontman ever.

And people from all walks of life, of all music taste, know who he is.

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

crow011 said

gamebounty said

I met a bunch of people last night from America and Canada who were huge music fans. Four of them played music together in a band-type situation.

We got to talking about music, and as we were all fans of 90s music, we talked about the big bands from that era.

Dream on, fanboi.

That's actually a little weird.  I could understand not knowing who Maynard was, but they hadn't even heard of Tool?  Tool's not the biggest band ever, but you'd think they would've at least have heard of them, if they were fans of '90s music.  What bands from the era did they talk about?
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Apples and oranges really.  If Tool were a 70s band I expect Maynard would be held in at least as high regard as Robert Plant, if not Morrison & Bowie.

That said, Bowie has released some fucking awful music as well...
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

crow011 said

gamebounty said

Dream on, fanboi.

Oh gee you got me with that one.
Davvda
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Davvda »

Chill316
Maynard Believer

Post by Chill316 »

I am confused about the track list now as well. When I wrote my review I had to check Amazon for the track listing because when I downloaded it I some how fucked up and messed up the track numbers. So when I wrote that review it has 8 tracks on Amazon as did my download. Why? I don't know but the missing track is really the only remix I liked. Haha. 

As to that review ^ that guy is a joke. "Keenan's like alternative music's Quentin Tarantino, pulling together cool cultural strands into his own wild, warped, and wonderful narrative. " I could maybe understand some of his lyrics like that but not pusicfer's music. Two original tracks on a 8 (now, 7 track) EP and you give it a 5 for 5?
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

^Pretty sure the dude's allowed his own opinion....

Davvda said
http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainme ... s/10380267

...Come...on...

...having said that, I haven't even heard it and knowing how Puscifer's remixes sound, I am 99% sure I'm not giving a 5/5.
Hey! Denty!
ThatGuy
Bronco's Fan

Post by ThatGuy »

Ravenpig said

^Pretty sure the dude's allowed his own opinion....

Davvda said
http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainme ... s/10380267

...Come...on...

...having said that, I haven't even heard it and knowing how Puscifer's remixes sound, I am 99% sure I'm not giving a 5/5.

Well at least you're non-judgemental and open to new possibilities

Thanks James for the link. Having only heard 3 songs from this release, I think this is a B- rated EP. Bohemian Rhapsody sounds the same as the original which i have always appreciated but never loved. Balls to the wall is a good song. The original is badass, this one sounds way different but still has a great beating drive to it. Dear Brother is catchy but I'm hoping the remixes are good otherwise this won't be anywhere near Puscifer's best release.

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

That's why I said "99%". I can't be completely sure yet.

I enjoy Puscifer to the point where its made me think APC has run its course, but their remixes have been totally awful so far.

I'll take 10 Emotives before that terrible V for Vagina remix album.
Hey! Denty!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

^and for the record (because someone will take it that way {heh}) I think APC is much better than Puscifer. It's just run its course, in my book.
Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Once again, there's nobody out there quite like Puscifer. That's why this act is so essential. No one's got balls like they do…

LOL x 1,000. That was the most objective review ever.

Can't wait for this guy to hear THE MELVINS.
fortysixand2

Post by fortysixand2 »

Stream the EP, if you haven't already heard it, and an interview with Maynard. Didn't Danny say they were over half-way done writing?

Speaking of recording, is there an end in sight for the Tool and A Perfect Circle records you're working on?

No idea. Basically right now it's a lot of ideas. Jamming. There's no actual songs for either project. It's still kind of noodles in a big basket.

http://www.spin.com/articles/puscifer-b ... mes-keenan
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

I think he also recently said that there's no plans for any APC releases. I've come to realize that Maynard is not the person to go to if you want coherent news on upcoming APC or Tool projects. He'll caress the fuck out of you with Puscifer stuff though. I think it's funny. xD