Sip & Listen tasting event

Maynard's multimedia extravaganza!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

As most of you know, I went along to the free Sip & Listen wine tasting event, and figured I'd give you my thoughts on the night.  The event was being run by Matt & Trent from Sip & Listen - I had a chance to have a decent chat to both of them, both really nice guys, and obviously big Tool/Marnard fans.  They both seem to know their wine pretty well, and are pretty happy to be lucky enough to bring this wine to the Australian market.

There were four different wines for tasting tonight (and a fifth one as well I'll mention later).  I'm not wine connoisseur, so here are my unvarnished thoughts on them:

2006 Merkin Vineyards Chubacabra: Had this one before.  Apparently it's hitting it's peak for drinking, so if any of you have some stashed away in your cellars, then I'm told now it the time to enjoy them.  Nice full flavoured red wine.
2011 Arizona Stronghold Mangus: Another red made up of a large variety of grapes.  Had a really interesting flavour, quite strong flavours.  Probably my least favorite of the lot, but the second galss seemed to go down better than the first.
2011 Arizona Stronghold Dala Cabernet Sauvigion: Don't have a strong memory of this one.  A nice red though didn't stand out compared to the others
2011? Arizona Stronghold Mandala: I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly Matt told me this one was made up of California grapes rather than AZ ones.  I quite liked this red - I remember it being fruitier than the rest.

The serves were pretty generous (though I think they were quite happy to put a little extra in my glass!) and it was a good night.  Completely free and the wine is good, so if you're looking for a meeting place before the show, or just have some time to kill, you could do a lot worse than heading into one of these.

And the mysterious fifth wine?  It was the 2011 Arizona Stronghold Dala Chardonnay.  Now I'm not really a big fan of white wines, but I have to say this was a really good chardonnay.  They're not serving these up on the night (I think due to stock issues) but if you tell them Matt from Fourtheye sent you, then maybe they'd be happy for you to try a little.

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

You're good people, HB.  Have fun at the show tonight.
Hey! Denty!
Sprout
Bronco's Fan

Post by Sprout »

Make Trent get his rexstep on.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Did they provide 'palate cleansers,' hors doeuvres, or anything of the sort, H-boy?

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.