Cinquanta - Puscifer, APC and Failure (MJK's 50th BDay)

Maynard's multimedia extravaganza!
Ns1
Bronco's Fan

Re: Cinquanta - Puscifer, APC and Failure (MJK's 50th BDay)

Post by Ns1 »

yeah that shit was awesome. if you have a chance to go and you don't go, well you're a fucking idiot.
HarrySeaward
Bronco's Fan

Post by HarrySeaward »

Setlist?
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Seems as though Sober was performed, though Adam wasn't there from what I've heard:

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Word is that Three Little Pigs was played as well
3po1nt0
of Arimathea

Post by 3po1nt0 »

oh what a show

setlist:

3.1.97||7.11.97||7.3.98||8.15.01||11.24.02||4.30.06||9.7.06||9.8.06||7.14.07||12.10.07||12.14.07||8.22.09||7.18.10||7.19.10||3.12.14||3.16.14||10.31.15||1.9.16||6.17.17||10.20.19||10.21.19||1.18.22||10.8.23||2.14.24||2.15.24||2.17.24
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Nice work - looking forward to what tomorrow brings. I expect they will mix it up a little, but who knows.
3po1nt0
of Arimathea

Post by 3po1nt0 »

all the APC songs sounded immaculate.

puscifer was also excellent. failure too.

this was a special night. 32 songs!

the one low point was sound mix during sober, something was up with justin's bass. i would like to know who the keyboardist was (and why adam wasn't there?)

the green jello reunion was preposterous. i'm sure you'll see videos soon. that has to be seen to be believed
3.1.97||7.11.97||7.3.98||8.15.01||11.24.02||4.30.06||9.7.06||9.8.06||7.14.07||12.10.07||12.14.07||8.22.09||7.18.10||7.19.10||3.12.14||3.16.14||10.31.15||1.9.16||6.17.17||10.20.19||10.21.19||1.18.22||10.8.23||2.14.24||2.15.24||2.17.24
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

hellboy wrote:Seems as though Sober was performed, though Adam wasn't there from what I've heard:

Justin was there too? My guess was 3/4 right, maybe tomorrow.

So who played Adam's part, Billy?
Hey! Denty!
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

What an epic show. 100 miles and I am back in my bed! Justin coming out for sober was so sick. Danny played at least 3 maybe 4 songs. Thanks for posting the setlist. What a venue the Greek is. What a fucking setlist. Failure was pretty damn good in my opinion. Junior defiently help with the visuals for Failure. They had this really crazy clip of what I think is from a movie that has this house burning in the back ground and these pych ward looking guys trying to get this crazy person in the white mental instatution car. It freaked me out alittle. ;) what can I say it was an amazing night. Tons of surprises. Green Jello coming out for 3 little pigs made my night! 12 years ago in high school radio class we would always play that song in studio. It was played perfect and the video in the back ground made it come alive. They had people in costume during the song dancing on stage. So happy I bought Sunday tickets. Can't wait to see what tommorrow has in store. Hopefully Adam can make it out. So tired........ Long drive..zzzz
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I can't see that setlist (it's probably cause of my phone) anyone care to cut and paste it for me?
Hey! Denty!
fortysixand2

Post by fortysixand2 »

Fucking excellent show! Danny was hanging out on stage a little bit after intermission and was on drums for the last Puscifer set. No Adam Jones for Sober. Still can't believe they played it. It was nice to hear the original 3 Libras and not the remix. Members from Green Jello came out to perform 3 Little Pigs with MJK and Danny. Can't wait to see what gems we'll get tomorrow!
Fuck Mountain
Bronco's Fan

Post by Fuck Mountain »

So just got back to my hotel in LA a few hours ago. My older brother and I attended night 1 of Cinquanta (Maynard's 50th bday bash) at the Greek Theatre in LA. This concert was the final event in an 9 day roadtrip my bro and I did througout the SouthWest US. We just got lucky that a roadtrip we were planning anyways happened to coincide with us being in LA during this weekend.

Annnnnyyyyways, Cinquanta was absolutely fucking awesome and totally shattered my expectations. Going into this gig I thought a few things would happen / was worried that:

1. Failure would get the opening slot and play to a half empty Greek Theatre
2. APC would play second and do an underwhelming set, the last time I saw em a few years ago they did the shitty Three Libras remix, some underwhelming Emotive tracks and not great Thirteenth Step material. It was a far cry from when I saw em in 2000 and 2004.
3. Puscifer would play the headliner set and it would be long and sort of disinteresting (not a huge fan of Puscifer on record)
4. Nobody from Tool would show up.

Well all 4 of those things didn't happen.

Failure is a band that I've LOVED since I was a teenager in the late 90's. Got into them through Stuck On You and have been waiting for a reunion for ages. They arent everyone's cup of tea, but I love em and I knew like 95% of the lyrics I heard tonight off by heart.

The big surprise was that each of the three bands opened the show by playing THREE songs each. 3 Failure. 3 APC. 3 Puscifer. Then they took a break, and repeated this TWICE. And since there was a LOT of sharing of member and band members playing on each others songs the show had a really unique variety to it and it made things so fresh. So the show "opened" with Failure AND Maynard doing The Nurse Who Loved Me (which APC covered on Thirteenth Step). So Failure got to play two more three song sets later in the night to the full packed crowd in the darkness of the LA night. And I, as one of the few Failure magafans there, LOVED this. Maynard also sang on Failure's song Solaris which was AWESOME. I LOVE Solaris so seriously dug seeing him duet with Ken Andrews on that one.

Next is APC, and they sounded like classic APC. They played some of the better Mer Des Noms material and better Thirteenth Step. They played Rose, they played Orestes and they played the proper version of Three Libras, and they didnt play any of the underwhelming stuff from Emotive. They sounded great!

Puscifer also just sounded fucking awesome. Their sound is so different from APC or Tool and it really does work better LIVE. They sounded solid, Carina sounded great, the visuals were amazing. I especially loved some of the background shots which features the desert and Joshua Tree (my bro and I visited Joshua Tree a few days prior).
So yeah, all the Puscifer stuff I heard I liked. I still wont know those tunes nearly as well as Tool or APC, but live they worked and MJK seems to have a lot of FUN playing them live.

The other surprising things were video screens that showed the band members. I'm used to not seeing MJK on screen at shows, but whoever handled the mix of live video and visual elements did a great job. Also NO MJK hiding in the back like with (all) Tool shows and (most) APC shows. He was front and centre and all over that stage tonight. He wore a porkpie Heisemberg hat for most of the night and seemed very comfortable on stage.

and then....Danny Carey's drum set was rolled out late in the night during Puscifer's final three song set. Kanaduh had told me he had seem online Danny's set was seen at the rehersals. So Maynard came out in the full Puscifer set and Danny the lionfucker Carey came out on drums and the band did Cuntry Boner and it was just funny and weird and entertaining. Danny stuck around for another Puscifer song and then shit got even weirded when GREEN JELLO came out and they did Three Little Pigs (with Puscifer, Maynard, and Danny on drums)!!! I wonder just how fucking long its been since that tune has been done live WITH MJK and Danny. 20 years? Was awesome. Not MANY people in the crowd got it, but I was singing along to that chorus and loving it.

and....then Justin came out (im not fully sure on this but it looked like him) and Puscifer with Danny and Justin did SOBER! I dont recall seeing Adam on stage. My brother and I sang out absolute guts out to Sober and the old girl still sounds good all these years later, the whole crowd predictably loved it to all fuck. It was pretty weird hearing Sober live with Puscifer visuals on screen and the Puscifer guitarist (I think?) playing Adam's parts. Kanaduh was second row, I was last row in Section B, so maybe he'll know what was going on the stage better than me. Then after sober on more Puscifer song and the show was a wrap.

Fucking awesome awesome show. Loved it a lot. No disappointments. I'd have loved to have Tool (including Adam) do a set, but in some ways I think this show was better without them.

-Mike/Sianspheric
Fuck Mountain
Bronco's Fan

Post by Fuck Mountain »

Ravenpig wrote:
hellboy wrote:Seems as though Sober was performed, though Adam wasn't there from what I've heard:

Justin was there too? My guess was 3/4 right, maybe tomorrow.

So who played Adam's part, Billy?
no Adam

Junior confirmed in the other event review thread I created that a keyboardist named Rae (that I think played in one of Carina's old bands) handled Adam's part on keys.
Ns1
Bronco's Fan

Post by Ns1 »

carina round version of package = fucking recockulous
i hate the cd version of counting bodies like sheep, but live that song rips.

puscifer gets a lot of shit but there are some hardcore fans out there. the couple sitting next to me knew every single word of country boner. man, if you know the lyrics to country fucking boner you're hardcore.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Carina singing the Package sounds like a good combo to me, hopeful someone out there will YouTube that shi
Hey! Denty!
satanbakesale
Maynard Believer

Post by satanbakesale »

According to reddit Adam was at the show atleast for the first set, seating in the first couple rows. I myself can't confirm as I was in the B section. Seeing Manspeaker up there with Maynard and Danny was truly a great moment. It felt like a MJK timeline going back all the way to Green Jello.
returnoftheyeti
Maynard Believer

Post by returnoftheyeti »

Here are the pictures I took, some better than others, and they all need captions. The show was awesome, one of the best I have seen. A big FU to the asshole that stole my poster tube / t shirt from under my seat. A big thanks to Bill Manspeaker for giving me the set list you all see here.

Highlights of the show was the guy dressed like a centurion passing out bananas to the crowd and laying with his ass up in the air in front of Maynard. Who was that guy? Carina and Juliette taking pictures and posting on twitter / instagram. Billy drawing a picture in a magazine and handing it to a girl in the front row.

Click the link, I turned it up to 11, brace your self for 12

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50198110@ ... 616995542/

For those going tonight, have a kick ass time...

Fuck Mountain
Bronco's Fan

Post by Fuck Mountain »

Further to NS1's comment there were definitely some big Puscifer fans in my section.

Was kind of surprising to see them not go nuts for Three Libras or Sober but lose it for some of the Puscifer material.

I'm sure there are some people at these shows who favour Puscifer's eclectic sound over APC/Tool
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

returnoftheyeti wrote:
Highlights of the show was the guy dressed like a centurion passing out bananas to the crowd and laying with his ass up in the air in front of Maynard. Who was that guy?
Seems it may have been Danny Lohner, as Maynard tagged him in an Instagram picture of the centurion.
Don't mow your lawn
3po1nt0
of Arimathea

Post by 3po1nt0 »

tonight was a nice complement to last night. a little more family minded.

forgive the notes but this is what i remember as the differences

APC's first set did not begin with weak and powerless, that song appeared in 2nd APC set

juliette commagere sang a song in spanish, not sure if this is commonplace at puscifer shows

maynard introduced his son during encore who gave us a long, incredibly skilled cello solo. memorable for sure

no tool (or 3/4)

danny did perform final 3 songs which were cuntry boner, 3 little pigs and humbling river. maynard did not dress as billy d for these, which seemed to throw off hildy a bit.

i had a bench seat and stayed there entire show. awesome sound and view
fortysixand2

Post by fortysixand2 »

Another great show from all bands with some slight variations. Really glad I went to the Saturday show as I think it was the best of the two. Here's the setlist

SUN-11-MAY
FAILURE
Nurse w/ MJK, Billy, Carina
Sgt politeness
Dirty blue balloons

APC
Package w/ Carina
Rose
Noose *schleyer

PUSCIFER
Vagina mine
Polar bear
Breathe

INTERMISSION

PUSCIFER
Oceans
Monsoons w/ Billy
Horizons

FAILURE
Another space song
Frogs
Solaris w/ MJK

APC
Weak and powerless
Blue
Orestes

PUSCIFER
Undertaker Spanish fly w/ Juliette commagere
Rev 22:20
Man overboard
Telling ghosts

APC
Counting bodies
By and down
Hollow

FAILURE
Stuck on you
Wet gravity w/ friedl
Heliotropic

PUSCIFER
Cuntry boner w/ Danny, Zac Rae
3 little pigs w/ Danny, green jelly
Devo cello solo
Humbling river w/ Danny, devo
Ns1
Bronco's Fan

Post by Ns1 »

oh fuck they did undertaker spanish fly remix? that shit is badass.

carina and juliette are fucking bangin'.

too bad no sober night 2, tooooooooooooo bad.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

LA Weekly has posted a Cinquanta photo gallery.
arbutron
Maynard Believer

Post by arbutron »

Just a quick couple thoughts - Rant portions not meant to offend if you disagree - I read the "Adam was there - said someone on reddit" a couple times, there is no way in fuck he was in the crowd. The pit isn't that big and he would've been pretty easy to spot. While it was cool to see them play Sober, it was also as sad, for me anyway, to have it played without Adam. I thought Zac Rae was cool on the Puscifer songs, but he had no clue what he was doing during sober, and he was really frustrating himself trying to find pitch and get the combinations of pedals below him to cooperate. He looked really frustrated and uncomfortable, and as an attempt to be a fill in for Adam's part, it was incredibly bad. As for last night, does anyone have an idea whether Rynne was on 1. Acid 2. really drunk 3. shrooms or 4. She's just like that. It looked like Danny had to reel her in a couple times there, she was screaming attempts at belting out The Hollow, heh. Oh and Devo was really impressive as fuck of course, and it was one of the most touching moments of the weekend when you saw his face as thousands of people went crazy for him. When MJK walked over and shook his hand it looked like a really cool moment for them both.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'd be pretty surprised if Adam was there and didn't play Sober. Thanks for the review arburton. From the video, I didn't think Zac Rae's performance on Sober was that bad, especially considering they'd probably only rehearsed it a handful of times (if at all).

As for Rynne, I've met her a couple of times, and she seemed quite sober then. Who knows what happened on the night, we all have times when we let our hair down.