General Tour Discussion Thread

Discuss Tool live shows both past and future
junior
Green Herbsman

Re: General Tour Discussion Thread

Post by junior »

hellboy wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:This is totally off the wall but whatever. Is it possible that Tool goes into a concert practiced up on 15 songs or something and then they kinda wing it on a few sections. Let Maynard see how he's feeling, Adam starts playing a riff and then that's the song they play? I might have done a bad job explaining this. But my point is I'm not convinced they have the whole setlist, song for song, planned out exactly pre show.
I understand what you're saying, but I would hazard to guess that Junior may need a little more than a couple of seconds warning to get the video stuff queued up in time. Not saying it's impossible, but a little tricky I imagine.

Also, from what I remember reading Maynard picks the setlists (I presume in consultation with the other 3 of course). My guess is they have a 15 or so songs in the "pool" and they will be played over the course of the tour. I still think that
► Show Spoiler
are some chance to be trotted out this tour. And hopefully another "new" track or two.
The video is actually handled by another person.
It doesn't take that long to set up each song, but it does take a long time to prepare and program them.
Once that's done, they can be called up as easily as changing a channel on a TV.
When the set gets shuffled around, time has to be spent re-writing some parts to make them fit the placement in the show.

The setlist is usually finalized before doors open. They very rarely deviate from it, but it's been known to happen.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

junior wrote:
LOOT wrote:Junior, I know your not "in the band", but do you have any in sight as to why they were not happy with the stuff they recorded in 2002? And do you know if they've filmed anything in the past few years on these tours??
I can't comment on the 2002 recordings. What I saw looked good to me.
I don't anticipate a pending release. Maybe someday.

Nothing since then has been filmed with multiple cameras, but nearly every show has been filmed with a single wide shot from back at the soundboard area for archival purposes.
What exactly does "archival purposes" mean?
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

Not hearing much at all from the VIP q and A. Come on and share people.
alicetooljam
Maynard Believer

Post by alicetooljam »

Capt. Shipwreck wrote:Not hearing much at all from the VIP q and A. Come on and share people.
Doesnt help that t.d.n. opinion is down....REALLY starting to frustrate me...
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

I think we'll get a good Q&A review after the SF show with Kittaan.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

Has no one thought to use an app like Smart Voice Recorder to record these Q&A's?

Wear a shirt with a front pocket. Put the phone in said front shirt pocket with mic facing out and enjoy (upload audio file later)
aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

bigboy55693 wrote:Has no one thought to use an app like Smart Voice Recorder to record these Q&A's?

Wear a shirt with a front pocket. Put the phone in said front shirt pocket with mic facing out and enjoy (upload audio file later)
I thought the same thing.
Professor of Lesbian Science
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

They don't have the fucking BALLS!
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

The Boss wrote:What exactly does "archival purposes" mean?
Archival purposes = Investing in the future value of a possible valuable commodity for retirement/estate planning
Professor of Lesbian Science
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

The Boss wrote:
Meaning they want a copy of it for several non-commercial reasons.
If something happens during a show that they want to take a look at, there's their copy.
Maybe years from now they'll want to look at something they were doing on stage that they can't remember.
Most likely it will just sit in a box for eternity.
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

junior wrote:
The Boss wrote:
If something happens during a show that they want to take a look at, there's their copy.
Like something Lamb of God-eque?
aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
iloveposters
Geacon

Post by iloveposters »

Anyone with an iPhone has to do is simply hit the record button on the Voice Memo App before going into the Q n A session and put it in their pants pocket. You dont even really have to set the phone with the microphones out, but it will sound better if you do.

There is also a FREE app on iTunes for iPhones called ClearRecord Lite, and I have recorded TOOL shows and various concerts using it, it records in AAC and WAV and the recordings come out really well. I suggest using this as well.

Im absolutely shocked no one who has gone to the Q n A has thought to record it and then upload it for all of us to hear!!!! It's really easy!!!
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

The posters on this tour looks absolutely amazing, so much better than the fishes..
iloveposters
Geacon

Post by iloveposters »

Closing with
► Show Spoiler
is not how I invision a tool show coming to a close

I'm not going to hate on the
► Show Spoiler
as it added a nice tough to The Patient during 2002, but I see no reason for it. Also, when I had free tix to see Alice Cooper I saw no reason for the
► Show Spoiler
at the end of his show either. This isn't and was not a Britney Spears concert. Just my two and a half cents.
Freakasaurus
Maynard Believer

Post by Freakasaurus »

Is there a thread where people are gathering/compiling the Q&A stuff? A dedicated thread for that might be a good idea. It would suck to ask the same questions that have been already answered and posted.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Ettan wrote:The posters on this tour looks absolutely amazing, so much better than the fishes..
They do look great, it's just a pity it's the same one over and over with different colours.
iloveposters
Geacon

Post by iloveposters »

Freakasaurus wrote:Is there a thread where people are gathering/compiling the Q&A stuff? A dedicated thread for that might be a good idea. It would suck to ask the same questions that have been already answered and posted.
I would agree. Also, someone please record the Q n A even if its just on a voice memo app!
5/20/2001 - NYC, NY
9/22/2001 - Hartford, CT
8/12/2002 - Trenton, NJ
5/20/2006 - NYC, NY
9/28/2006 - Camden, NJ
10/5/2006 - Hartford, CT
10/6/2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
10/7/2006 - Uniondale, NY
8/1/2009 - Jersey City, NY
1/31/2012 - Uncasville, CT
Jool
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Jool »

Is this where I come to find reviews sans spoilers?
#9[align=center]#9[/align][align=right]#9[/align]
HarrySeaward
Bronco's Fan

Post by HarrySeaward »

Does Tool collude with custom frame makers? Their posters are among the best music posters ever but, goddamn, it wouldn't kill them to make them the size of a standard frame.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

You guys really like the skull?

Egh.
HarrySeaward
Bronco's Fan

Post by HarrySeaward »

It's no San Francisco 2010 poster, but it's certainly a lot better than the ones from 2012 designed by Adam's wife.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

True that, but they should be outsourcing it to other artists, just like they used to.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I thought the ones done by Adam's wife were pretty good. A nice change from Adam's usual style (which to be honest, is getting a little stale).

I'd like to see them working with more artists on these, but then again, from a sales point of view, they know that work by Adam is always going to sell better.
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

HarrySeaward wrote:Does Tool collude with custom frame makers? Their posters are among the best music posters ever but, goddamn, it wouldn't kill them to make them the size of a standard frame.
The 2010 prints were "standard size"

Cost of frame for 2010 print $34 - Off the shelf frame: No matte, basic glass, clip back secured
Cost of frame for Dallas 2012 night 1 and 2, $575 - 100% custom: Museum glass, double matte, acid free paper sealed back, weighs about 50 lbs.

Effing Aye!
aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

hellboy wrote:I thought the ones done by Adam's wife were pretty good. A nice change from Adam's usual style (which to be honest, is getting a little stale).

I'd like to see them working with more artists on these, but then again, from a sales point of view, they know that work by Adam is always going to sell better.
Not true IMO. EMEK (especially this guy), Jermaine Rogers, and Todd Slater just to name a few consistently sell for much higher amounts on the aftermarket.

I think the real driving force is contract cost.

Big names charge big money.

Adam did the artwork for free then takes his default file saved in MSPaint, changes a few things and BAM! "new" print.

I've spent most of my time collecting the prints from the real 100% rock print artists. They will hold their "value" better in the future.
aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA