General Tour Discussion Thread

Discuss Tool live shows both past and future
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Being their 3rd visit to our shores since 10K days, I'm hoping for a few we haven't seen in a while..Something like this would be nice.. 

Stinkfist

46 & 2

the Grudge

Cold & Ugly

Schism

Parabol/ Parabola

Vicarious

Disposition

Reflection

Lateralus

Aenima
trustinmeandfall
My pain is just an excuse

Post by trustinmeandfall »

Busty McCracken said
Being their 3rd visit to our shores since 10K days, I'm hoping for a few we haven't seen in a while..Something like this would be nice.. 

Stinkfist

46 & 2

the Grudge

Cold & Ugly

Schism

Parabol/ Parabola

Vicarious

Disposition

Reflection

Lateralus

Aenima

The grudge would be sweet. 

My guess:

Undertow

Jambi

46&2

Pushit

Stinkfist

Schism

Intension

Lateralus

Opiate

Aenima

Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

I'm hoping they'll play a 10k Days heavy set. Especially seeing as this is ostensibly their first 10k Days supporting show here in NZ since they last toured in '02 on the back of Lateralus (I don't really count their BDO appearances.)

So Vicarious, Rosetta Stoned, and Right in Two are the big ones I'm hoping for.

Opiate or Part of Me seems like a given.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Eulogy, please
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
James
Fanboi

Post by James »

hellboy1975 said

markuspoop said
Will Matt be making another "I went to a Tool show and all I got was the same set-list" tshirt for this tour too?

Those are still available for purchase!  Must be time for a new design...

Now see, if only I could buy this shirt with the TA logo grafted on to it, I'd meet up with the perfect mix of cynical but major fan. Or just a fellow Fourtheye follower, which is basically the same thing at this point.

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Stinkfist

Eulogy

H

46&2

Hooker with a Penis

Jimmy

Pushit

Aenima

(-) ions

3rd eye
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Id be pretty bloody stoked with that. 
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

Gwarden said
I'm hoping they'll play a 10k Days heavy set. Especially seeing as this is ostensibly their first 10k Days supporting show here in NZ since they last toured in '02 on the back of Lateralus (I don't really count their BDO appearances.)

Really? Even though it has been over ten years since NZ has had a stand alone tool show, I would much rather see a few rarities from the early days than have the likes of vicarious and right in two dished out. Don't have any problems with 10K days as an album, but catching the likes of hooker with a penis, Part of me, Opiate, sweat, parabola, ticks, pushit etc is far more my cup of earl grey.

Either way it's very promising from their last tour that we won't get a repeat of a few years back when the 'all I got was this setlist' t-shirt was your mufti day favourite
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

264zn said

Gwarden said

Really? Even though it has been over ten years since NZ has had a stand alone tool show, I would much rather see a few rarities from the early days than have the likes of vicarious and right in two dished out. Don't have any problems with 10K days as an album, but catching the likes of hooker with a penis, Part of me, Opiate, sweat, parabola, ticks, pushit etc is far more my cup of earl grey.

Either way it's very promising from their last tour that we won't get a repeat of a few years back when the 'all I got was this setlist' t-shirt was your mufti day favourite

I've never seen them play any 10K Days songs live. I saw them in '97, '01 and '02 so I have seen them play the likes of Reflection, The Patient, Flood, Pushit etc. Any of those I'd be stoked to see again, but I want to see the newer material above that.
dickleiper
of Arimathea

Post by dickleiper »

Love 10K days, but i dont think we'll see many songs from it this time round unfortunately. If the set list from the last US mini tour is any indication, it will be a wee trip down memory lane with mostly songs from aenima & Lateralus and few treats from Opiate to celebrate the re-release.

They played You lied, at the Brisbane Show in 2011, so i'm kinda hoping they might whip no quarter this time round. unlikely, but you never know. Personally, if i get Pushit, HWAP and 46 & 2 with new visuals, i'll be very happy. anthing else is a bonus

EDIT: having said all that, i'm still a little bitter NZ never got to experiience Wings/10K days so if maynard wanted to bring these out of retirement, well i'd be alright with that too.
rimb

Post by rimb »

Looking forward to my first tool show in five and a half years on Saturday night. Anyone know if there's a support act?

petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

t

rimb said
Looking forward to my first tool show in five and a half years on Saturday night. Anyone know if there's a support act?

there is an as yet to be opener, as of an hour or so ago... Rod Laver site says gates at 6pm, guest at 7:30, tool at 8:40, concludes 10:40 (2 hours, should it hold true, is about 30 minutes longer than most standard tool sets)
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Under a week out with nothing announced,  despite what the venue says I'll be surprised if there's a support act.  Maybe some local DJ or something at best.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Blair just posted this:

22 April, 2013 (09:37am)

AN EVENING WITH TOOL

Members* of the band will be departing today from Los Angeles on a long flight to Australia where they will kick off a number of concerts beginning at the Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne on Saturday, April 27. From what I've been told, this will be "AN EVENING WITH TOOL", meaning that there will be no opening band (although it is possible that a DJ could be added at the last minute).
*Maynard has already arrived down under, having traveled with Tool's manager.

Hey! Denty!
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

Must admit I'm pretty dissapointed that there hasn't been an opening band added to the bill, a last minute DJ doesn't really cut it. On the flip side, I'm hoping an evening with tool will mean exactly that...perhaps a slightly longer set than what we've had recently.

Either way I'm getting pretty excited now with only a few days to go - it has been 11 years since I caught these guys on a headlining tour, I'm guessing a bits changed...
dickleiper
of Arimathea

Post by dickleiper »

i agree, not too fussed there wont be an opening band. i'd much rather get an extended (from recent tours) set from Tool
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'd rather an extended set list as well, but I won't be holding my breath.  Shame there's no support act - there's plenty of good Aussie bands I'm there I'm sure would have relished the opportunity to play.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy1975 said
I'd rather an extended set list as well, but I won't be holding my breath.  Shame there's no support act - there's plenty of good Aussie bands I'm there I'm sure would have relished the opportunity to play.

But have they mustard up the skill to open for Tool or would they just be playing ketchup.

Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineEier said

hellboy1975 said

But have they mustard up the skill to open for Tool or would they just be playing ketchup.

I'm sure I could sauce a spread of Australian bands that could add some extra flavour to any Tool show.
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

hellboy1975 said

UndKeineEier said

hellboy1975 said

I'm sure I could sauce a spread of Australian bands that could add some extra flavour to any Tool show.

I'm just hungry for some tool and now a weird sandwich which mainly consists of condiments. 

I know what you mean though HB, it's a shame they didn't sort out something local. I was pleased to see Shihad supporting Black Sabbath this tour, and that reminds me, I have to source a ticket for next week! 
rimb

Post by rimb »

Should have got The Mark of Cain.

I hope the "can't be arsed" attitude doesn't extend to the show itself. 

Also not expecting many sort of extended show. 
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy1975 said

No thank you. We don't want the likes of Grinspoon or Regurgitator dumbing the evening down for us.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay said 
No thank you. We don't want the likes of Grinspoon or Regurgitator dumbing the evening down for us.

Nor would I ever suggest such bands support Tool. (though personally I think Regurgitator are pretty good).
dickleiper
of Arimathea

Post by dickleiper »

slightly off topic but i couldnt be arsed looking for the right thread.

My mate (coming with me to Auckland 8th VIP) -his fiance won the Frontier touring VIP Package competiton for the Auckland 9th show!!!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

dickleiper said
slightly off topic but i couldnt be arsed looking for the right thread.

My mate (coming with me to Auckland 8th VIP) -his fiance won the Frontier touring VIP Package competiton for the Auckland 9th show!!!

Excellent news!  What was his answer to the question?