Tool - 3rd May - Allphones Arena, Sydney, NSW

Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Busty McCracken said

Oh & Maynard dedicated Stinkfist to Jeff Hanneman at the end which was a nice touch..

Fixed in bold.

Anyone know what MJK said?  Crappy news out of the metal world yesterday, RIP.

EDIT: why in thee fook is my reply in the damn quote?...
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Someone's still feelin the effects of last night obviously... No fucking idea where Joe came from.. :/

He said something along the lines of 'we would like to dedicate this next song to Jeff''
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

^^^ Cool, thanks Busty.  Sleep well!
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
GaryS
Maynard Believer

Post by GaryS »

Niiiice. Like the bite in his voice around the nine minute mark.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

That version of Third Eye is rough as hell, but I'm pretty excited you guys got to see it (and also jealous - definitely would have swapped Opiate for it!)
Wheezy
Maynard Believer

Post by Wheezy »

Sydney Friday 3rd May Poster

Sydney Saturday 4th May Poster

They had both nights so I picked up both, it saves me having to worry about getting one tonight.

For those asking about merch I got a good look at what they had.
-Unsigned posters for $40
-Signed for $140 (The merch lady told me to wait until intermission for these as they didn't have them before the show.)
-Danny Drum heads signed for $400 (there were 3 of these)
-Adam Fish Doodle posters from Florida and Adelaide for $250 (it looked like they had a few of these as well.)
-Shirts were similar in design to the 2011 tour with the 10k tool logo, there were also a few Opiate reissue logo ones and the preist hands and they were $50
-Hoodie with a pretty nice spiral logo for $90.
And then an assortment of misc items, Bandanna, Priest hands keychain, I think I saw shot glasses and a stubbie holder. They were around $20 each.

I had a really fun night, nothing really surprising about the setlist, 3rd eye was a nice touch. I ended up 4 people from the rail just in front of Justin. He threw his pick at me and it hit me in the head, I went looking for it but I couldn't find it. I told the girl next to me to have a look and she scored it. He is using Playboy stamped picks, I had a little giggle at that. Beards get the ladies.

Now getting excited for tonight.
Brendan
Bronco's Fan

Post by Brendan »

doors said
Fuck you Sydney!

+1

Toolboy
Maynard Believer

Post by Toolboy »

Anyone pick up an extra poster from the show they would like to sell?
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

The "Think for yourself" vid comes on and those of us who knew what was coming got very excited. Got a copy of the setlist afterwards which said the setlist was supposed to be HOOKER*, VICARIOUS, SOBER*, (intro) SCHISM*, PUSHIT* (drum solo), INTERNSION, LATERALUS* (middle), |intermission|, dan solo, JAMBI, 46+2, AENEMA, STINKFIST*, (OPIATE ?)

Someone posted this on tdn, interesting that they chose to play Third Eye out of nowhere, I wonder what the reasoning was behind it, and if it was just a one-off for the tour? Wonder if they'll pull out any other surprises?
Sprout
Bronco's Fan

Post by Sprout »

I hope we (Brisbane) get HWAP, seen 3rd Eye live a few times already.

Although it's very hard to be disappointed with 3rd Eye.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Gwarden said 
Someone posted this on tdn, interesting that they chose to play Third Eye out of nowhere, I wonder what the reasoning was behind it, and if it was just a one-off for the tour? Wonder if they'll pull out any other surprises?

My guess at a reason is that Sydney got no non-festival show last tour.
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

I'm gonna go ahead and take that as a good sign for Auckland
Monolith NZ
Bronco's Fan

Post by Monolith NZ »

Hey Wheezy, May I ask how you looked after the posters during the show? Are you able to pick them up after the concert?
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

Maybe they're getting to the point where they can play any song at will without planning for it way ahead of time?  Like Maynard just decides he wants to do a song and they add it.
Wheezy
Maynard Believer

Post by Wheezy »

Monolith NZ said
Hey Wheezy, May I ask how you looked after the posters during the show? Are you able to pick them up after the concert?

Allphones Arena were kind enough to have free cloak room for GA ticket holders. So I just picked these up in the intermission and put them in the cloak room with my jumper.
A few people grabbed posters after the show, there were plenty left. So what ever takes your fancy. Also with NZ having two nights, I noticed that last nights (3rd may) signed posters had gone down to $100, but tonight's posters were still $140. So it might be an idea to wait if you are going to both nights and grab both on the second night rather than pay $140 for each of them. I would ask the merch people how many they have etc. and judge it from there.

UsefulIdiot8665
Maynard Believer

Post by UsefulIdiot8665 »

I dont know what it was, but it was perfect.

Easily the single greatest experience of my life, maybe it was just because it was so good in comparison to the first Melbourne show. But Third Eye blew me away, as did the rest of the set. Mayjay was perfect (didnt sing the end of Vicarious, but eh), and the band were tighter than the Mother Teresa.

10/10 would bang. 
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

Gwarden said

The "Think for yourself" vid comes on and those of us who knew what was coming got very excited. Got a copy of the setlist afterwards which said the setlist was supposed to be HOOKER*, VICARIOUS, SOBER*, (intro) SCHISM*, PUSHIT* (drum solo), INTERNSION, LATERALUS* (middle), |intermission|, dan solo, JAMBI, 46+2, AENEMA, STINKFIST*, (OPIATE ?)

Junior responded to this setlist on tdn:

FYI, that was not the distributed Sydney setlist. That was a working copy from rehearsals in Melbourne. It must have still been in someone's pile of paper from rehearsals.
The show that was played on night 1 in Sydney was typed up as it was eventually played, and that's the only setlist that was printed there.

azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

Never got a response, but did they extend 3rd eye? watched a clip someone posted excellent! but it stops before the ending, where they would do the extended part. (actually think its part of a new song they were trying out when they did it in the mini tour in the U.S. imo)  can't wait for them to tour the U.S. again and glad every one across the world from me are having a blast!

Also with the wine tasting can't remember what Hellboy posted as far as tastings but I think it was only stronghold? and merkin? wines they were sampling? that's awesome but also surprised if Maynard didn't bring his Caduceus label to showcase. Dos Lodrones (chardonnay blend which won a gold in san fran.) and his Nagual de la NAGA ( Cabernet Sauvignon blend ) are some excellent wines that are definitely worth a try. 

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

azbay said 

Also with the wine tasting can't remember what Hellboy posted as far as tastings but I think it was only stronghold? and merkin? wines they were sampling? that's awesome but also surprised if Maynard didn't bring his Caduceus label to showcase. Dos Lodrones (chardonnay blend which won a gold in san fran.) and his Nagual de la NAGA ( Cabernet Sauvignon blend ) are some excellent wines that are definitely worth a try. 

Both Stronghold and Merkin at the tasting.  They are hoping to bring Caduceus out here but there are far smaller quantities of that wine compared to the others, which makes it difficult to source, and will also make them quite expensive.