Radiohead / Atoms For Peace / Thom Yorke

Music in all its forms and styles
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Re: Radiohead / Atoms For Peace / Thom Yorke

Post by nxrm »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:Yeah, that would have been nice.
What are your thoughts on the album at this point?
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Ah...found a link for the BBC's Listening Party. Checking it out right now. :)
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

Listened to the new album with the noise cancelling headphones last night. Wow, the layers and depth of this album is beautiful. Nothing really upbeat on this album but I really enjoy the first full listen. Like all Radiohead albums (somebody said earlier) with more listens it will grow on me. Very excited for August 8 to see them live but hope they play more older tracks because this is my first live Radiohead experience. Stoked that they just surprised drop the album. Hope Tool can do that in the future.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

the chill wrote:Wow, the layers and depth of this album is beautiful. Nothing really upbeat on this album but I really enjoy the first full listen. Like all Radiohead albums (somebody said earlier) with more listens it will grow on me.
After my full first listen, it's definitely a lot more of a subdued experience than I was expecting. Based on the rave reviews I've read online I was prepared for something a bit more grand. It's a very laid backed album. I guess that's my way of saying it felt like lounge music.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

It's mostly forgettable and barely worth more than a few cursory listens in the background by accident or if I really can't get to sleep at some point. It's got some good sounds but nothing I can't hear in a movie score somewhere if I was so inclined. And they ruined one of my favorite radiohead songs (true love waits) on top of it. Not sure how this band released two duds in a row but after In Rainbows, my personal expectations were much higher ... 5/10 if I'm feeling generous.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

My dislike for Radiohead is well known. While I like what they've done sonically on the album, as a whole the songwriting is so forgettable, I can't see why I'd listen to it a second time. 4/10
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

A few listens in, I think the new album is really fucking great and a huge improvement over King of Limbs, which felt like a straight up B-sides album to me. More of a B-sides album that the actual In Rainbows B-Sides.

And a few of these songs will positively destroy live, which is something I was so taken aback by the first time I saw Radiohead: how INTENSE some of the things can be that come off "soft" on the recordings. Decks Dark, Ful Stop and Identikit in particular.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Holy shit, 5 days later my fever finally broke. I had a couple very unpleasant out of body experiences during this virus bout. It was great to wake up this morning and feel my life force coming back. I listened to A Moon Shaped Pool for the first time with good headphones and I was finally able to give it my undivided attention. This album is outstanding. Colin Greenwood is my favorite bassist. The dude just knows how to write the grooviest fucking lines. The whole band shines on this album. There's so much space and texture in these songs that each instrument breaths nicely! The sequencing of the songs doesn't look like it would make sense on paper, but it absolutely does. This is Radiohead's best sequencing since Kid A.
Burn the Witch is a great opener. I like how RH tends to open with a track that doesn't necessarily fit with the flow of the rest of an album but somehow still makes sense to be on the album. Daydreaming and Glass Eyes are beautiful and ethereal. Decks Dark and Ful Stop are both absolute bangers. Decks Dark is definitely my favorite track on the album. Ful Stop reminds me of Portishead. The Numbers is another favorite of mine. Beautiful orchestration throughout the album. I'm just very impressed with every song and how much work they put into this. I give it a solid 9.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

I have listened to it 4 or 5 times now and it is really starting to take root. My first listen seemed to be finished before I realised and really heard anything, but each subsequent listen has opened it it up more and more. I love Radiohead and I love how this album means more to me as I learn to understand it. The final song 'True love waits' is so good... and as Bill said above Colin Greenwood's work on this album is amazing....
Be good to each other.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Radiohead appreciation is really interesting to me. Many people who I would think would be huge fans just yawn and don't get it at all. Others who I share almost no other musical alignment just love everything they do. I can't think of many other bands I can describe in that way.

I liked some of the songs from AMSP on first listen, others just didn't hit me much at all. After half a dozen passes, some listening intently with headphones, I think it's another excellent RH offering from start to finish. I liked and agree with Bill's comment on sequencing. It's pretty subtle, but the composition, musicianship and production are all excellent. I have not yet payed proper attention to all the lyrics, but the obvious themes are really interesting and clever. Always been a fan of Thom's voice and phrasing. It's a great album to take on a hike!
Ki77aan :twisted:
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Very well said! What does everyone think of the title without the hyphen? Is "Shaped" a verb in this case, and the "Pool" is the ocean?
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Bill Hilly wrote:What does everyone think of the title without the hyphen? Is "Shaped" a verb in this case, and the "Pool" is the ocean?
Hey, I just noticed your comment on this, and that's what I assumed they were implying too. Makes even more sense after spending some time with the lyrics.

This is still in constant rotation for me. It's one of their best albums.

It's been bugging me why every time I see the cover it makes me think of Relayer. Seeing them next to each other, it's not a close match by any means, but there are elements.

nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Kittaan wrote:This is still in constant rotation for me. It's one of their best albums.
I still haven't had a proper listen yet. The CD is scheduled for release next Friday though, and I'm looking forward to spending some time with it.

Despite my earlier criticism and dismissal, based on a few listens of the the BBC Live Stream, I'm a Radiohead fan through and through.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Kittaan wrote:
This is still in constant rotation for me. It's one of their best albums.
Yep. I was impressed on Day 1, but it's only grown on me since.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I am supremely bummed they'll only play SF as part of Outside Lands. This will be an amazing live show, but I'm not willing to brave a festival again. The last fest I attended was the very first Outside Lands (2008), where Radiohead headlined. It was an excellent show, but I'm done with festivals.

Here's the audio for the 2008 show, I wanted to hear it again:

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

LIVE FROM A MOON SHAPED POOL.
XL RECORDINGS AND RADIOHEAD INVITE INDEPENDENT STORES ACROSS THE WORLD TO HELP CELEBRATE THE PHYSICAL RELEASE OF A MOON SHAPED POOL THIS FRIDAY 17TH JUNE.

WE HAVE PUT TOGETHER MUSIC FOR AN AUDIO STREAM INTO STORES THROUGHOUT RELEASE DAY. JONNY HAS SELECTED 2 HOURS OF LIVE TRACKS TAKEN FROM LAST MONTH’S ROUNDHOUSE SHOWS IN LONDON; THERE ARE PLAYLIST FAVOURITES FROM COLIN & ED, AND THOM HAS CREATED A LONG PLAYLIST BASED ON HIS 'OFFICE CHARTS'. STANLEY DONWOOD HAS CREATED AN 'INCONSEQUENTIAL PAMPHLET' (HIS WORDS) BASED ON HIS EXPERIENCES CREATING THE ALBUM COVER.

FIGURES FROM CHRIS HOPEWELL'S BURN THE WITCH ANIMATION, STANLEY DONWOOD SCREEN PRINTS, AND A 35MM CELLULOID PRINT OF PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON'S DAYDREAMING VIDEO CAN BE WON.

THE PARTICIPATING STORES CAN BE FOUND ON THE MAP BELOW:

http://www.amoonshapedpool.com/livefrom/
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Radiohead has and will be releasing a ton of killer archives.

This is just about to drop, in about an hour or so. Enjoy:

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Sounds killer:

https://radiohead.bandcamp.com/album/ki ... =fanpub_fb

KID A MNESIA collects Radiohead’s fourth and fifth albums, Kid A and Amnesiac (celebrating their 21st anniversaries), alongside the debut of a newly compiled third disc titled Kid Amnesiae. Kid Amnesiae is comprised of unearthed material culled from the Kid A / Amnesiac sessions along with alternate versions and elements of Kid A and Amnesiac album tracks and B-Sides. Features the never-before-heard ‘If You Say the Word’ and a previously unreleased studio recording of ‘Follow Me Around’.

releases November 5, 2021