Alice In Chains

Music in all its forms and styles
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

http://vevo.ly/XWk6YG

Layne's chilling live performance with Mikey and the rest of Mad Season. eerie shit.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
aktoolhead
Maynard Believer

Post by aktoolhead »

just read the new Revolver issue with AIC and I didn't even recognize Jerry Cantrell. He cut his hair! Time for Metallica to give him shit now,LOL
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Could 'The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here' Be the Last Alice in Chains Record?

Alice in Chains mainman Jerry Cantrell has recently stated that he would have no problem with the forthcoming release"The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here" being the group's final record. In an exclusive chat with Jack Osbourne on Fuse TV, guitar mastermind discussed the new album alongside drummer Sean Kinney, saying that "it's amazing they are making music" considering all the things the group has gone through.
"We've obviously come through a lot since we started playing again. We've come a long way. We're just trying to feel out where we are and do what feels right. I look at every record like it's your last. We know pretty well how final things can be. It's amazing we're making music after all the things we've been through. I can rest happily with this being the last record, if that's what it was."
The rest of the interview also shows the duo discussing the current state of music industry, with the drummer saying that he's been waiting for a music revolution that never came.

"I've been waiting for that new revolution where a whole generation would come together round some type of music. It doesn't seem to have happened."

"The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here," is ready to hit the stores on May on May 28 via Virgin/EMI Records. As the group's fifth release, it's the second one to feature vocalist William DuVall .

- You like noisy music?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I am digging what I've heard so far.  I know some can't get past William vs Layne, but I have no problem with it.  As I've said before, he's not trying to be Layne (which I wouldn't dig at all) and he has a great voice.  There is clearly good chemistry there, especially between Jerry and William, and the vocal harmonies, while definitely different, still kick ass.  Great live show every time I've seen them, and will hit every show I can.

I understand what they're saying about what they've been through, it is amazing they pursued this.  I'd be bummed if this was the last record, but I'm really glad there is at least one more after BGWTB, and really looking forward to hearing the whole thing soon.  
Ki77aan :twisted:
bag-a-bones
My pain is just an excuse

Post by bag-a-bones »

Totally agree.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

Why hasn't this fucker leaked yet?!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Bogart said

Apparently you can preview it on iTunes.  I'm not installing that piece of shit to listen to it though, but I expect a rip will be online shortly.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

hellboy1975 said

Bogart said

Apparently you can preview it on iTunes.  I'm not installing that piece of shit to listen to it though, but I expect a rip will be online shortly.

I heard this as well. Nowadays, I find it very surprising when bands can keep their albums under wraps with less than a week before a release date.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Bogart said

I was wondering this exact same thing the other day.

Don't mow your lawn
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

UndKeineEier said

Bogart said

I was wondering this exact same thing the other day.

they should get an award for keeping it from leaking. still waiting on this and the new "Scale The Summit" LP.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Yeah, very surprising it's not out there somewhere with less than a week to release.  I can't remember another instance in the recent past.

I have listened to the iTunes previews a few times and am digging it so far.  Preordered the physical CD quite a while ago and looking forward to getting it on Tuesday.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

Actually, if I remember right, Kanye's and Jay Z's Cruel Summer album didn't leak until a few hours before its release
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

It leaked!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

7 tracks in and pretty disappointed so far.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

hellboy1975 said
7 tracks in and pretty disappointed so far.

Agreed- Ive never been much of an AIC fan; i've never really got all of the praise they have received. Granted, they have several songs I like, but overall I don't really listen to them that much. I'm about 6 or 7 songs in and have found it pretty boring. Although, I think "Stone" is a pretty killer song and has really stood out over the other songs I've heard.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

it sounds like that Jerry Cantrell bomb a ways back. I love the three songs they put out before the album, "Voices" is okay. the rest sounds forced and generic. I can't believe I'm typing this right now actually. very disappointed. fuck.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

I've been listening to some stuff I've really been digging as of late...new Queens, a few Uncle Acid and the Deatbeats albums and Ghost's new release and I hear this new Alice and yea, it sounded generic...
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

NYHCster said
it sounds like that Jerry Cantrell bomb a ways back. I love the three songs they put out before the album, "Voices" is okay. the rest sounds forced and generic. I can't believe I'm typing this right now actually. very disappointed. fuck.

Both of Jerry's solo albums are better than this imo.  Definitely disappointing.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

A mediocre band released a mediocre album?

Stop the presses!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Mediocre post
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Pains me to admit it, but I also have to agree that TDPDH is disappointing.  I would not call AIC a mediocre band (and consider the source ^ after all) but this is a mediocre album.

The only tracks that hold my interest after the first pass:

Hollow, Stone, Phantom Limb and a few sections of several others.  But the writing overall is quite generic and uninspired.  

Immediately after listening to this new one, I went back and sampled through Facelift, Dirt and AIC.  Dirt is an undisputed classic front to back and so many quality tunes on the others...  BGWTB was even a much better album than this, despite some flaws IMO.  I had really high hopes for this, but I think it's clear they are done writing really good music.

I am still looking forward to seeing them live again, because they really are excellent live.