Animals as Leaders

Music in all its forms and styles
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Thought we already had an AAL thread, but I can't find it.  All things AAL.

AAL at the Fillmore Silver Spring, MD 2013 - Tosin is the greatest guitar player I have ever seen.  Unbelievable what this guy can do on an 8 string.

snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Reminds me of Planet of the Apes.

"You bastards!"

You know Mog, people give you shit for "being a dick", but at least you have some good tastes in music.  Not giddy about the growl shit that goes on in the ol' synctube once in a while, but hey the instrumentals are awesome.

SteveBobSteve
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

snazzlefrass said

"You bastards!"

You know Mog, people give you shit for "being a dick", but at least you have some good tastes in music.  Not giddy about the growl shit that goes on in the ol' synctube once in a while, but hey the instrumentals are awesome.

Thanks snagglerock.  Hope the weekend is treating you well.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

mogeffingmog said

snazzlefrass said

"You bastards!"

Thanks snagglerock.  Hope the weekend is treating you well.

Little hungover, but rocking it out. Bitches be cray.

SteveBobSteve
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

My bros, right here.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

@Crow - Word

@Snaz - Same here.  I got re-hydrated and had a bit of a light run.  Got rid of some those nasty toxins.  Gonna play a little Borderlands 2 I think and relax today.

One more Tosin vid.  About his new guitar and picksups.  Good shit.

wisevitamin
Bronco's Fan

Post by wisevitamin »

This new drummer has got some talent man.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

^ No doubt.  Matt is just as good as Navene.  Absolutely no drop off whatsoever.

And man Tosin is not from this planet.  I knew he was a freakin genius, but you really don't get just how good he is until you see him live.
wisevitamin
Bronco's Fan

Re: Animals as Leaders

Post by wisevitamin »

New album comes out 03.25.14

New AAL single from new Album
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

another new track

[youtube][/youtube]
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Nice. I will finally get to see them live at the end of March in SF. Looking forward to it.
Ki77aan :twisted:
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Second track Petey just posted was much better. Wasn't sure how I felt about Misha from Periphery helping to produce the new album. As many know he was involved in the writing on the first AAL album. I know Tosin wanted to re-capture more of the vibe from that first album but I fucking hate Periphery and I was concerned about Misha having too much influence. While I appreciate the catchiness of some of the songs off the first album (Cafo) obviously being one, I thought Weightless was a better album. Bringing Misha back in feels like a regression of sorts. Matt sounds great on the drums so that is a positive. Won't know for sure until the end of March.
The most intelligent person on this forum
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Kittaan wrote:Nice. I will finally get to see them live at the end of March in SF. Looking forward to it.
I'd of seen them twice already in a perfect world, but the first time they played on the eve before my mom left Oz and this time they played with fucking periphery ... ain't nobody got time (or money) for that ... I'm past the days where I have disposable income to drop full price and only see an opening act
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

^ Fuck no, ANGTFT. I am fairly sure AAL are headlining this as it's their album release tour.

Never heard of the supporting acts, and not expecting much:

After The Burial, Navenek and Chon. I'll eventually search out samples... unless somebody can provide some opinionated opinions?
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Kittaan wrote: After The Burial, Navenek and Chon. I'll eventually search out samples... unless somebody can provide some opinionated opinions?
If they're djent they're likely to be shit.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy wrote:
Kittaan wrote: After The Burial, Navenek and Chon. I'll eventually search out samples... unless somebody can provide some opinionated opinions?
Thanks for stating the obvious. You are a Djentleman and you have Cholera.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote:
^ Yup. I hate agreeing with Number One over there but Djent can suck my balls. AAL is NOT Djent. Playing 8 strings does not automatically equate to Djent.

@ Pete - Check out the new song Tooth and Claw on a good set of headphones. Production is solid. Very dynamic song. Matt really is killing it behind the kit. Good song that will translate well live.

Also, great interview I found with Tosin and Javier about the new album. They didn't just work with Misha as producer. They worked with a number of different producers.

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I'm sure they're nice dudes and I totally respect their artistry... but this band just bores me to tears. I saw them at a headlining show here recently, which was my second time seeing them live. I left after 3 songs. That's all I can do, gets so boring.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

M0G wrote: ^ Yup. I hate agreeing with Number One over there but Djent can suck my balls. AAL is NOT Djent. Playing 8 strings does not automatically equate to Djent.
Nah, AAL are djent, there's no denying it. Sorry. Doesn't mean they're shit though.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote:
M0G wrote: ^ Yup. I hate agreeing with Number One over there but Djent can suck my balls. AAL is NOT Djent. Playing 8 strings does not automatically equate to Djent.
Nah, AAL are djent, there's no denying it. Sorry. Doesn't mean they're shit though.
Fuck off. Nothing Djent about AAL. Tosin is like fucking Mozart. Javier is a master player and Matt is one of the best drummers around. Djent is primarily in 4/4, with some polymeters but the basic track structure sticks in 4. Tosin writes and plays in many different time signatures. They play 8 string guitars so there will be some tonal similarities but nobody in metal is doing what Tosin and Javier are doing on those 8 strings. Christ Tosin has a better fundamental understanding of Jazz phrasing than anyone in Metal. He can play the 8 string like a bass and finger pick like a classical guitar. AAL is not a Djent band. Fuck the fucking fuck off.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

You keep telling yourself that. Even Wikipedia refer to AAL as pioneering djent band. You shouldn't get so hung up on labels and such, and should just enjoy music for what it is - quality djent. You're starting to sound like the kind of raving idiot you vent against in the Grudge thread to be honest.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

hellboy wrote:You keep telling yourself that. Even Wikipedia refer to AAL as pioneering djent band
Link?
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote:You keep telling yourself that. Even Wikipedia refer to AAL as pioneering djent band. You shouldn't get so hung up on labels and such, and should just enjoy music for what it is - quality djent. You're starting to sound like the kind of raving idiot you vent against in the Grudge thread to be honest.
Wiki fucking pedia? Really? You went to wikipedia? Ughhhhhh

I am hung up on labels. Understand your fucking genres. Djent is a shit sub-genre created by kids who learned to play an 8 string and wanted to copy Meshuggah. Tosin can play circles around anyone, in any genre, on this planet. Nothing about what AAL does is Djent. You want Djent, go listen to Tesseract or some other shit Meshuggah wannabee rip off. AAL, at no point, sound anything like Meshuggah.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote:
hellboy wrote:You keep telling yourself that. Even Wikipedia refer to AAL as pioneering djent band
Link?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djent
The Swedish band Meshuggah and the British bands Sikth and Fellsilent are credited as the inspirations for the djent technique.[4] The movement itself emerged from the solo recordings of Misha Mansoor of Periphery, with Periphery subsequently bringing djent "from the virtual world into the real one."[4] Other pioneering bands are Animals as Leaders,[3] TesseracT,[5][6][7] and Textures.[8] The scene has grown rapidly and has become a trend,[9] as numerous bands emerged out of the scene in 2009 and 2010.[4] Other bands that are labeled under the term include Sirens, After the Burial, A Life Once Lost,[10] Veil of Maya, Glass Cloud, [11] Vildhjarta,[12] and Xerath.[13] The group Born of Osiris have also been described as being inspired by the movement.[9][14]