Random Music News

Music in all its forms and styles
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Re: Random Music News

Post by The Boss »

I think "THE SEER" is their most critically acclaimed, isn't it?

I have no problem someone not liking SWANS. I think bands like, oh, WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM, BLUT AUS NORD, or even SUNNO))) are more accessible than SWANS.

You can't deny Gira is talented as fuck, though.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

The Boss wrote:I think "THE SEER" is their most critically acclaimed, isn't it?

I have no problem someone not liking SWANS. I think bands like, oh, WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM, BLUT AUS NORD, or even SUNNO))) are more accessible than SWANS.

The Seer is fucking fantastic. Prior to that album The Swans never did much for me. The Seer is a masterpiece though. Talking about saving the best for last. Something a certain band we all know about seems incapable of doing.
The most intelligent person on this forum
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

M0G wrote:
The Boss wrote:I think "THE SEER" is their most critically acclaimed, isn't it?

The Seer is fucking fantastic. Prior to that album The Swans never did much for me. The Seer is a masterpiece though. Talking about saving the best for last. Something a certain band we all know about seems incapable of doing.
Literal LOL, and a hearty one at that.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

I don't want to pit the two against each other as they are two very different entities.

However, it's no secret that Swans run rings around Tool - in more ways than one.

And I'm not saying that to be obnoxious.

For all their grandstanding and pseudo philosophical mumbo jumbo - Tool are a fairly sedate and predictable beast.

No wonder then that the average Tool fan would find Swans such a difficult meal to swallow - as they are used to bands who stick within fairly comfortable genres.

And, for the record, The Seer is hardly Swans' magnum opus.

Not even top 5.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Calfium Jay wrote:I don't want to pit the two against each other as they are two very different entities.

However, it's no secret that Swans run rings around Tool - in more ways than one.

And I'm not saying that to be obnoxious.

For all their grandstanding and pseudo philosophical mumbo jumbo - Tool are a fairly sedate and predictable beast.

No wonder then that the average Tool fan would find Swans such a difficult meal to swallow - as they are used to bands who stick within fairly comfortable genres.

And, for the record, The Seer is hardly Swans' magnum opus.

Not even top 5.
Edify me.

I'm not a MASSIVE fan, but I'd still like to say I know my SWANS better than most people.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

You CANNOT go pass the Cop/Young God/Greed /Holy Money compilation reissued a few years back.

But fuck me if it isn't one of THE most exhaustive listens EVER. I once played it to a group of friends many years back (alternative music fans all - so they should have been used to that sort of thing) and one of the girls in the room actually got up and with tears in her eyes, let it be known that she thought I was a "sadistic fuck" and that my "abusive music phase" had gone way too far. Another guy left the room to comfort her, shooting me a maniacal glare as he did so. Don't believe I ever spoke to them again.

Good thing I didn't play Cruise by Whitehouse. She'd have had me arrested.

I'm not saying Swans are BETTER than Tool. That's a ridiculous statement. They will however take you out of your comfort zone and to places you'd wish you knew never existed - much moreso than Tool.

Tool tread a similar path - albeit a much more digestable and "classic rock" oriented one.

Also check check out Children Of God / World Of Skin comp. It's a bit more palatable and "goth" but still worthy of yr troubles.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Yeah "COP" and "YOUNG GOD" are fucking great.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

I played some Cop tracks on my radio show last year and the listener response was insane. Most ever listener inquiries I have ever had.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Due to its uniqueness and abrasiveness?

Feel free to play COIL as much as you want, then. ;)
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Somebody else pointed this out, but it's worth pointing out again because it seemed to sail over your head Cal.

Just because somebody doesn't dig something you do does NOT equate to it being "difficult" for them to digest... it may just mean that they just don't dig it.

You are exceedingly condescending in discussing your musical taste. It's takes one to know one. The difference between you and I, however, is that my musical taste is impeccable.

EDIT:
Ravenpig wrote:Difficult isn't the right word, I just didn't like it.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Kittaan wrote:
Just because somebody doesn't dig something you do does NOT equate to it being "difficult" for them to digest... it may just mean that they just don't dig it.

I never said it did - however if you had heard early Swans, you would concede - as most would - that's it's "difficult" music.

This is not being condescending in the least.

First time I heard them I didn't like it at all.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I get the feeling that you look at music like some people look at hot sauce. You don't have time for it unless it will eat through the the lining of your belly (hot sauce) or brain (brutal music).
Ki77aan :twisted:
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Swans Finish Two-Hour Epic, 'To Be Kind,' With St. Vincent

Long-running avant-rock bludgeoneers Swans have completed their 13th studio album, To Be Kind, which will appear on May 13th in a variety of formats — triple LP, double CD, a deluxe CD with a live DVD and a USB stick with "ultimate, high quality" versions of the songs.

http://m.rollingstone.com/music/news/sw ... t-20140214
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

ziggy23 wrote:Swans Finish Two-Hour Epic, 'To Be Kind,' With St. Vincent

Long-running avant-rock bludgeoneers Swans have completed their 13th studio album, To Be Kind, which will appear on May 13th in a variety of formats — triple LP, double CD, a deluxe CD with a live DVD and a USB stick with "ultimate, high quality" versions of the songs.

http://m.rollingstone.com/music/news/sw ... t-20140214
There is semen everywhere.

Thank you, awesome TOLL-lovin' brother.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Better get your flights booked Crow!

Clear your calendars and book your flights: Billy Corgan has planned a nine hour gig featuring zero™ hits.

The Smashing Pumpkins frontman has done some pretty out-there things over the years – from starting a wrestling company to writing 72 songs about Chicago – but his upcoming show at his own Madame ZuZu’s Teahouse in Chicago’s Highland Park takes the cake. Posting on his personal Facebook page, Corgan said he was planning a marathon gig based on Hermann Hesse’s 1922 novel Siddhartha. The February 28 show, unsurprisingly, is free of charge.

“[The] performance,” wrote Corgan, “will be centred around an ambient/musical interpretation of Hermann Hesse’s Siddhartha; built by modular synthesis, on the fly. Readings of the text to go hand in hand with whatever is created; + the first @Hexistential poster, and event t-shirts too. Hope to see you there.”
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Not Tyson wrote: “[The] performance,” wrote Corgan, “will be centred around an ambient/musical interpretation of Hermann Hesse’s Siddhartha; built by modular synthesis, on the fly. Readings of the text to go hand in hand with whatever is created; + the first @Hexistential poster, and event t-shirts too. Hope to see you there.”
Oh Billy!

I liked it back when you guys duped the public into thinking you were an "alternative" band.

Those were the days.

You were like what The Cure would sound like if they had an ABBA fixation and then got confused and thought they were The Bay City Rollers.

Also, heroin is bad.

basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Professor of Lesbian Science
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

ziggy23 wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
even though some elements are missing? he's means the same 2 or 3 knuckleheads that are still waiting for checks from 1998. they need to push this forward before something else catastrophic happens to this group.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

New Panda Bear album later this year - for all two of you here who may be interested:

http://pitchfork.com/news/54078-panda-b ... new-album/

Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

New Mayhem track, Psywar, from forthcoming untitled new album (which has no release date as of yet):

http://www.metalinjection.net/av/mayhem ... r-the-band

It's ok I suppose.

The last time Mayhem released an album was back in 2007. So they are almost as lazy as you know who.

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Dr Dre?
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Yes.

N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

4 tracks in total and they're all excellent. ALC is currently pound for pound the best hip hop producer in the game.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

The Electric Hellfire Club Announces New Album "Tech Noir"

After announcing the band was working on a new album last year, The Electric Hellfire Club has now nailed down a record deal for the release.

Frozen North Records (via Arctic Music) is extremely honored to announce the signing of The Electric Hellfire Club for the iconic band's first new album release in over a decade.

This new studio album will be titled "Tech Noir" and will be a conceptual, double-album release, which is currently in pre-production. Says EHC frontman/vocalist/ringleader Reverend Thomas Thorn:

"Tech Noir is the album every EHC fan has imagined might someday come to be: a dark journey heralding a return to the electro roots and musical diversity the band was originally known for. This is our Magnum Opus - a high voltage symphony that will leave no doubt the Black Flame still burns. While forces conspired to tear us apart and I once bitterly declared that Ravensbrück and I would re-unite to write new chapters in the EHC saga only 'when Hell freezes over,' that denunciation has become prophecy. That time is now. The spiritual current of arcane energy we call Electric Hellfire is flowing again. Hell has frozen over."
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?