Post by UndKeineZwEier »

It's perfect.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Mike Patton - Tomahawk, Fantomas, FNM, Mr Bungle, etc

Post by hellboy »

Not too bothered by the artwork, but it's missing two wolves and a moon.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

It's missing Liam Neeson with some broken bottles taped to his knuckles.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

You want vinyl, you really want vinyl. So the guys in Fantômas along with Mackie O have created one of the most insane box sets EVER! WUNDERKAMMER is the name of the box set from Fantômas that comes out on US National Record Store day/Black Friday, Nov 28th 2014. This is literally a cabinet stuffed with each of the Fantômas records on vinyl and as a bonus it will include a cassette copy of the original Fantômas demo that Mike Patton created and recorded by himself of the very first Fantômas record. This was the tape he sent to Trevor, Buzz and Dave to get them onboard. This will be a limited box set and it will not be cheap (around $100 USD).
We know that not all of you will be able to make it to a record store on Nov 28th to secure one of these bad boys, so we will be making very few available via mail-order later in the year. Stay tuned for those details. Also look for Fantômas performing THE DIRECTOR'S CUT in Santiago, Chile on Dec 5th & 6th.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Looks like the Melvins, Helmet, Blind Melon and a few others have been added to the Rockout Festival with Fantomas:

Update: And it seems as though Dave Lombardo is back drumming with Fantomas as well. Dale Crover handled drums for that last couple of tours they did from memory.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

New collaboration featuring Mike Patton. Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but there's a sample at the link below:

http://thequietus.com/articles/16569-tetema-tenz
Out on December 8 is Geocidal, the debut record from tētēma. The duo are a collaboration between Australian composer Anthony Pateras and Mike Patton, frontman of the back-in-action Faith No More and co-founder of Ipecac Recordings, who are putting the album out. It's had a long and far-flung origin, dating back to when the pair first met in 2009 and was recorded, with help from Australia Council for the Arts, between a convent in rural France, Paris and a two-day stint in San Francisco, for Patton to lay down his vocals. Says Pateras: "We had the craziest 48 hours together, and somewhere between Patton's appalling Australian accent piss-takes some magic happened [...] The interesting thing about the record is that every element is recorded in a different country, and this gives the sound a displaced, almost vaporous intensity. I moved country twice during its genesis as well... the whole geocidal thing is about coming from no place, re-birthing, watching the place you are from be altered beyond recognition that you have nothing to do with it anymore."

Judging from 'Tenz', which you can stream above, the album promises to be an intriguing affair. It opens with the lumbering rhythmical heft that immediately brings to mind Cut Hands, before Patton's incantatory vocals surface and we skirt through jazzy touches and gentle inflections of contrabass recorder (one of many orchestral instruments that feature on the album) and synth, culminating in a full-on, howled assault.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy wrote:Looks like the Melvins, Helmet, Blind Melon and a few others have been added to the Rockout Festival with Fantomas:

Update: And it seems as though Dave Lombardo is back drumming with Fantomas as well. Dale Crover handled drums for that last couple of tours they did from memory.
wow, now THAT'S a great concert lineup.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

By the end of 2011, Bill Gould was getting tired of playing the same old songs with Faith No More. The hugely influential alt-rock band had reunited in 2009 to play live shows, having broken up a year after the release of their sixth and most recent record, 1997’s ‘Album of the Year.’ So the bassist filled his practice space in Oakland with recording gear and started tinkering with new song ideas. Drummer Mike Bordin and guitarist Jon Hudson joined him, and in early 2012, the trio was demoing new songs. While Faith No More keyboard Roddy Bottum and vocalist Mike Patton reacted favorably to the material, they were initially reluctant to get involved.

“There was a weird caginess they had where they didn’t want to just jump in the ring,” Gould recalls. “I started to think we were just doing this for ourselves. Then little by little, they warmed up to it and decided to contribute more.”

In early 2012, Patton agreed to work with the band on the song “Matador,” which Faith No More performed in concert that summer. However, after tracking “Matador,” Patton froze up for a while and wouldn’t commit to working on anything else.

“He would never let the conversation go there,” reveals Gould. “It was very frustrating. I’d play him a song and say, ‘We’re working on this,’ and he’d say, ‘That sounds fantastic,’ and leave it at that. It was very hard to understand what was going on and if he was going to do it with us.”

Bottum, who lives in New York, was won over by the demos and started sending in keyboard parts via digital files, and Gould integrated them into the songs. Bottum eventually flew to Oakland to track piano. Then last year, Patton gave in. He sat down with the rest of the band, listened to all of the demos, and mapped out what he wanted to do with the vocals. Then he returned to his home studio to record. At present, Faith No More have around 10 songs tracked and another 15 in demo form.

The first official single is “Motherfucker,” an offbeat track driven by marching drums, spare piano, echoey string scrapes, and half-sung vocals layered over a euphoric chorus. The song will be released as a limited-edition 7-inch single for Record Store Day Black Friday on November 28. Another track, “Cone of Shame,” is “blues-based rock and roll,” according to the bassist, with some “influences from Link Wray, Cramps, and a little black metal.” But Gould’s favorite song is still “Matador.”

“Parts of it remind me of the first Siouxsie and the Banshees album,” he says. “We used real pianos and that brings this organic quality to it to the music.”

Like most everything Faith No More have done, the new album–which is due for release in April 2015–will follow the group’s own singular vision, regardless of what fans and critics may want or not want it to be. “It’ll be much different than everything else out there—but that’s sort of the point,” Gould says. “It’s a combination of what we don’t hear in the outside world and what we feel is lacking from other bands. And in the end, it will sound like Faith No More.”
http://www.revolvermag.com/news/intervi ... tudio.html
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

At first glance I thought it said they were influenced by Linkin Park. I'm glad that doesn't seem to be the case.
Don't mow your lawn
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

25 SONGS?!?!?!

:shock:
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Tool probably have less than 9 and they've been writing for like 2 decades.
Don't mow your lawn
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Yeah, but how many FNM post Angel Dust songs could you regard as "throwaway"? A dozen?? Tool have maaaaaybe 3 or 4 post Undertow (imho) - which is impressive.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Calfium Jay wrote:Tool have maaaaaybe 3 or 4 post Undertow (imho)
which ones?
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Calfium Jay wrote:Yeah, but how many FNM post Angel Dust songs could you regard as "throwaway"? A dozen?? Tool have maaaaaybe 3 or 4 post Undertow (imho) - which is impressive.
They had a whole album written for Album of the Year but King Patton scrapped that and wanted it to be more cuhrazy and less poppy.

Great job.
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Mike Patton has a new project called tētēma, a collaboration with Australian composer/pianist Anthony Pateras.
Debut album 'Geocidal' due on December 9th.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

fortysixand2 wrote:Mike Patton has a new project called tētēma, a collaboration with Australian composer/pianist Anthony Pateras.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=70&start=150#p72276
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:Tool probably have less than 9 and they've been writing for like 2 decades.
Tool 9 = regular 12.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

fortysixand2 wrote:Mike Patton has a new project called tētēma, a collaboration with Australian composer/pianist Anthony Pateras.
this looks like the most Mike Patton thing Mike Patton could do at this point.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not a bad track, but not great either. Not sure how I feel about the quality of the recording to be honest. Not sure if it's just Soundcloud or the quality of the mp3, but it sounds a little cheap to me.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I liked it, but it did feel a little thin. I wasn't listening to it on the best speakers though.
Don't mow your lawn
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

I also liked it.
Be good to each other.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

considering I've been onto the new Gloom for the last few days, it left quite a bit to be desired

reserving final judgment for the full release ... admittedly, being a big FNM/Patton fan, it's hard not to have some expectations of this record and this is not very promising if at all representative of the whole package
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Eh. The talk /rap part sounds lazy. And is it just me or does it not even SOUND like Patton until the chorus. At first I thought it was Roddy Bottum. I like it enough though. Nothing groundbreaking but has a nice tone with a slightly darker edge. Hopefully the new album leans in this direction.

N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

this song is high quality on soundcloud, not sure what HB is yammering about. great track. after a 17 year hiatus I pray Tool puts out something half as good for their first leak.

https://soundcloud.com/ipecacrecordings ... er/s-edh09