Mike Patton - Tomahawk, Fantomas, FNM, Mr Bungle, etc

Music in all its forms and styles
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Re: Mike Patton - Tomahawk, Fantomas, FNM, Mr Bungle, etc

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

my seats leave much to be desired but there really are no bad seats at MSG. so fucking pumped for this!!! I've been listening to a lot of FNM lately. had no idea they'd do it THIS big!! :o
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

badkittygothgirl wrote:Got our tickets for Atlanta!! Finally get to cross FNM off my concert bucket list.
MY BAND BUCKET LIST TOO!!!!!!!!!!! SO FUCKING HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:had no idea they'd do it THIS big!!
They care. A lot.
Ki77aan :twisted:
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Naattik wrote:
N.Y.H.C. wrote:had no idea they'd do it THIS big!!
They care. A lot.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Try the veal.
Ki77aan :twisted:
lo7us

Post by lo7us »

Remember to tip your waiters and waitresses on the way out.
From bearded clam cums bearded jam
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Adding to the already excellent spread of support acts:

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

A shitty quality leak (128kbps) is out there. Listening now.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Well, the quality of the leak is as shitty as promised. The album has it's moments, and there are a few tracks that I'm not sure what to make of yet. Keyboards other than piano don't seem to feature very highly in many of the tracks (though there is plenty of piano, so it's not really like KFAD). It's quite Tomahawk'y in parts, but also pretty straight up rock in others. It's definitely more of a "rock" album than a "metal" one. It's certainly no Angel Dust and doesn't push boundaries like that album did. After one listen I'd put it somewhere between The Real Thing & KFAD as far as it feel goes.

First listen highlights include Seperation Anxiety, Cone of Shame and Matador (which comes across better on the album than it does on Youtube clips).

As far as a rating goes, again after one listen I'd give it about a 7/10, and say it's possible the least interesting of all the Patton era FNM albums. The album certainly needs further listens, with better quality audio before I render final judgement though, however I'd be surprised if it crept up past an 8/10 for me.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

There's a much better quality rip of it on what.cd now, for those into such things.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Ok just decided I'd finally see what this thread is. I skipped ahead, tldr. Who is FNM
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

xZ1mM3r wrote:Ok just decided I'd finally see what this thread is. I skipped ahead, tldr. Who is FNM
Faith No More
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:Ok just decided I'd finally see what this thread is. I skipped ahead, tldr. Who is FNM
Faith No More
take some time and type it out, they're worth it. enough with the new-speak already. smh.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy wrote:It's definitely more of a "rock" album than a "metal" one. It's certainly no Angel Dust and doesn't push boundaries like that album did. After one listen I'd put it somewhere between The Real Thing & KFAD as far as it feel goes.

First listen highlights include Seperation Anxiety, Cone of Shame and Matador (which comes across better on the album than it does on Youtube clips).

As far as a rating goes, again after one listen I'd give it about a 7/10, and say it's possible the least interesting of all the Patton era FNM albums. The album certainly needs further listens, with better quality audio before I render final judgement though, however I'd be surprised if it crept up past an 8/10 for me.

Please tell me Superhero ISN'T a highlight. Played that song on my midnight show last Tuesday.....and boy does it sound clumsy up loud on headphones. Amazed at how lyrically weak the whole thing was. Some of the crappiest FNM lyrics since "Got That Feeling".

Aaah well. Friend of mine who d'loaded it a few hours ago said that (along with From The Dead) those three tracks you mentioned were "highlights". He also described the album as "a bit Tomahawk-y in parts and fairly pedestrian musically. It's very rock with a slight goth vibe happening."

What's the title track like btw???
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote:Please tell me Superhero ISN'T a highlight. Played that song on my midnight show last Tuesday.....and boy does it sound clumsy up loud on headphones. Amazed at how lyrically weak the whole thing was. Some of the crappiest FNM lyrics since "Got That Feeling".

Aaah well. Friend of mine who d'loaded it a few hours ago said that (along with From The Dead) those three tracks you mentioned were "highlights". He also described the album as "a bit Tomahawk-y in parts and fairly pedestrian musically. It's very rock with a slight goth vibe happening."

What's the title track like btw???
The title track is ok, slow moody piece. Superhero is probably somewhere in the middle as far as track quality goes. Going in expecting this to be anything but a rock album is most likely going to end in disappointment - this isn't Fantomas.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

What's the worst track IYHO??
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote:What's the worst track IYHO??
Rise of the Fall has some quite cringeworthy parts, so I'll go with that.

Sunny Side Up rubbed me the wrong way on first listen (it's the piano heavy "ballad" of the album), but after a few listens I find myself humming the chorus a bit. It's probably one of the poppier songs FNM has done.

From the Dead has a funny western/mariachi type vibe to it, it's an interesting track, but may bring back memories of Take This Bottle for you.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

This ended up being WAY better than expected. Biggest gripe though is that the album is 10 - 12 minutes too short. It really could have used some more material. Also worry is the almost absolute lack of guitar riffs and hooks - which were such a big part of Angel Dust and The Real Thing (hell....even KFAD had some pretty decent hooks.)

Sol Invictus almost sounds like a Patton side project - with a slight Morricone / Gothic Americana feel to it. Very, very "different" sounding FNM album. Not sure how it would rank in the back catalogue but.....waay better than Album Of The Year.

Fave tracks

Sol Invictus - this sounds for all the world like a possible intro to the True Detective series. I loved this track. Loved it.

Sunny Side Up - reminds me of Bungle's California album. Just the feel/atmosphere it creates. Very upbea. Almost "carnival-esque".

Black Friday - nice. real nice. acoustic guitar sounded great.

Rise Of The Fall - the "wackiest" track on the album. Very Bungle at times.

Least fave

Cone Of Shame - thought the spoken voice over was tacky and the song goes.....nowhere fast.

Matador - the jury is still out on this one.

Agree with HB - album is a solid 7.

Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Nice review Jay and Hellboy. Looking forward to listening once a better quality version makes it out. Or is there already a good quality version? By the way, how does the mix sound?
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Bill Hilly wrote:Nice review Jay and Hellboy. Looking forward to listening once a better quality version makes it out. Or is there already a good quality version? By the way, how does the mix sound?
The mix is ok, it's not a amazing sounding album, but it's not bad either. It has a quite cohesive sound actually, it lacks the variety in sound that most FNM albums do, mostly due to that lack of keyboards other than piano.

There is a decent rip out there. PM me and I'll give you a link if you fancy. It's not FLAC quality by any means, but it's listenable.

A couple of days into listening to it, I think it's grown on me more than I expected. It's getting closer to an 8/10, so probably on par with Album of the Year. I am a biased FNM fanboi though, so it's probably a 7/10 or less for anyone else. It has a couple of dull tracks, that's for sure, but for the most part it's quite good.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Cool. I will probably take a listen on 420. I just ruined my 666 post count. I was going to remain silent with a 666 post count until the new Tool album drops, but that is hard to do when FNM has a new album!
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Love this album now. Second only to Angel Dust.

Busty McCracken Jr

Post by Busty McCracken Jr »

Dig the album as a very good sounding Tomahawk style album. Lacks the complexity of FNM's earlier sounds.. Could have used a couple more ballads ala Stripsearch - RV - Just A Man etc for mine..

By no means disappointed as I had low expectations so enjoyed it, just wished it had a few more songs on it with a bit more dimension & it would have rated much higher for me.