hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Opeth

Post by hellboy »

iloveposters wrote:
Ettan wrote:
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Fucking boring. Fell asleep. YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
iloveposters - consider this an official warning. The music sub-forum is not the place for trolling, and repeat postings of this nature will result in a ban.

You've expressed your dislike for the band (I don't like them either). Time to move on.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Other than the cheesy ending I liked this second song more than the first. Nothing special but I dug it. Well after one listen anyway.
Hey! Denty!
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

hellboy wrote:
iloveposters wrote:
Ettan wrote:
Fucking boring. Fell asleep. YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
iloveposters - consider this an official warning. The music sub-forum is not the place for trolling, and repeat postings of this nature will result in a ban.

You've expressed your dislike for the band (I don't like them either). Time to move on.
WTF?!? This sounds exactly like Yes, except that they did it better, being the pioneers and all.

Someone should tell the keyboard guy that synths have come a long way since the 70s.
Last edited by doors on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

hellboy wrote:
iloveposters wrote:
Ettan wrote:

I hope you did an ip check to make sure he wasn't Australian.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I liked both tunes so far, the second one is better.

Nothing ground breaking, but it's good music. Most of you are so hung up on what's come before. Relax.
Ki77aan :twisted:
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Mikael Akerfeldt is going to a One Direction concert...

...but only because his daughter wants to go.
He says he hasn't managed to persuade his kids to start following heavier music. And he admits parenthood has taken some of the wind out of his sails when he's on the road.

Akerfeldt tells TeamRock Radio: "Being a dad and being away so much is difficult. It's not as fun to be away when you have kids.

“In the early days touring was partying, rocking out and having a good time. Now I kind of approach touring as work."

He continues: "I'm sure sure it has changed the music. Things around you change when you have kids. I'm taking my daughter to see One Direction. Right now both of them are into Grease, the musical.”

Opeth are gearing up for the release of 11th album Pale Communion – but the mainman says there's no big meaning behind the title.

“It's kind of difficult to come up with album titles," he reports. "I want them to sound cool and look cool and fit in with my lyrics. I was going through my lyrics and it felt like a fitting title for me, but it doesn't really mean anything.”

Earlier today Anathema's Daniel Cavanagh praised Akerfeldt for being there when he needed a friend while the bands toured together in 2012.

Opeth interview
metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/2014-06-13/only-one-direction-for-opeth
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

This explains everything
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Yeah I don't really like em either. Opeth songs lack a substantial hook. They just sort of...float around going nowhere fast. And the death metal / soft singing style really grinds against my pole.

However the Storm Corrosion colab. was half decent.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:This explains everything
That he's a good parent who would do anything for his kids?

Yeah, it really does.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Calfium Jay wrote:songs lack a substantial hook. They just sort of...float around going nowhere fast.
This accurately describes many of the bands you've subjected us to over the past couple of years, Jay.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Kittaan wrote:
Calfium Jay wrote:songs lack a substantial hook. They just sort of...float around going nowhere fast.
This accurately describes many of the bands you've subjected us to over the past couple of years, Jay.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Leaked.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Well this is fucking terrible, why can't they just call it The Mikael Åkerfeldt Project?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

It is by no means "fucking terrible". Listening now and digging it on the first pass. So happy with the absence of the growl, and I know I'm one of the few around here that is.

Goblin is excellent.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Kittaan wrote:It is by no means "opeth".
Agreed
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

You are not alone, Tyson. A buddy of mine (Bobage for those that remember him from TA and FE), long time Opeth fan had this to say:
They are (were) an infinitely special band to me and it's not like I need them to keep rewriting Blackwater Park over and over for me to be happy, but quite simply, the direction they've taken is sterile and lifeless to me. It's so deliberately contrived to sound overtly like 70's prog and it just doesn't work. And yes, as you've touched upon, when you have a demonic voice that sounds like it was conjured from the very bowels of purgatory, you should wield that fucking thing like a weapon. I love Damnation which is all clean vocals but the vocal direction he has taken on Heritage and the new album is super Velveeta for me. In a nutshell, Opeth's exploratory composition and amazing transitions from crushing riffs/death metal growls into astounding melodic passages/gorgeous clean vocals, is what made them so unique and special. Ackerfeldt has completely abandoned that formula in favor of these lame ass new tunes and I just cannot get onboard with it. I will still see them live when they come around but even in the live setting, the Heritage tunes I have seen them do are boooooring!
I completely understand and I'm bummed for those of you that can't get into it. As I told Bobage:

I’m only on a couple of passes so far, but like Heritage, I am mostly digging it.

Again, just like last time, I am not necessarily comparing it to their previous work and it stands alone pretty well. Lots of good riffs and for me, no growl is a plus.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:Well this is fucking terrible, why can't they just call it The Mikael Åkerfeldt Project?
Oh God, man, really.

Should I even bother finding it?

OK, I just slapped myself for saying that. I'll do it once the brown one is done Skyping.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Kittaan wrote:You are not alone, Tyson. A buddy of mine (Bobage for those that remember him from TA and FE), long time Opeth fan had this to say:
They are (were) an infinitely special band to me and it's not like I need them to keep rewriting Blackwater Park over and over for me to be happy, but quite simply, the direction they've taken is sterile and lifeless to me. It's so deliberately contrived to sound overtly like 70's prog and it just doesn't work. And yes, as you've touched upon, when you have a demonic voice that sounds like it was conjured from the very bowels of purgatory, you should wield that fucking thing like a weapon. I love Damnation which is all clean vocals but the vocal direction he has taken on Heritage and the new album is super Velveeta for me. In a nutshell, Opeth's exploratory composition and amazing transitions from crushing riffs/death metal growls into astounding melodic passages/gorgeous clean vocals, is what made them so unique and special. Ackerfeldt has completely abandoned that formula in favor of these lame ass new tunes and I just cannot get onboard with it. I will still see them live when they come around but even in the live setting, the Heritage tunes I have seen them do are boooooring!
I completely understand and I'm bummed for those of you that can't get into it. As I told Bobage:

I’m only on a couple of passes so far, but like Heritage, I am mostly digging it.

Again, just like last time, I am not necessarily comparing it to their previous work and it stands alone pretty well. Lots of good riffs and for me, no growl is a plus.
What the screaming fuck is wrong with pumping out re-writes of "BLACKWATER PARK"?

Call me old-fashioned, but this is a genre that thrives on predictability. Cases in point: "STILL LIFE" and "MY ARMS, YOUR HEARSE".
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I hear you, and maybe Tyson is right when he suggested that Mikael just flat out give this project a different name. I'm sure he doesn't see it that way, and it's not in his best interest from a monetary point of view due to the built in Opeth audience. But if the general consensus of their die-hard fans is that Opeth is in a decline... it may have served him better in the long run, similar to Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson. It's pretty clear that it's more the Mikael show (in terms of writing, vocal choices and direction of the band) than it used to be.

Still..... I repeat...
The more I listen to it,
the more I like it.
I do think it's good.
The fact is..
no matter how closely I study it,
no matter how I take it apart,
no matter how I break it down,
It remains consistant.
I wish you were here to see it.

I like it.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Eh, hitting "Moonlight Vertigo" right now, and then TOWNES VAN ZANDT, because I'm seriously fucking bummed about that aeroplane getting obliterated.

Strangely, OPETH is too positive right now.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Fuck it. This new Mikael Åkerfeldt Project album is really excellent. I've hit it up about 4-5 times now and I'm loving it. Great riffs and melodies, excellent drumming and rhythm section throughout and the vocals seriously call to mind a much more talented Ian Anderson.

I hope they tour here soon, but it's likely not until next year as they are touring everywhere but the States through November.

http://www.opeth.com/home/tour-dates

EDIT: If you're writing this off because of bias in comparison to their earlier albums, you are being foolish. This is quite rich.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Nah not writing it off due to comparisons with the past, just not my cup of tea. Well actually I kinda am, if I want to listen to 70's prog I'll listen to 70's prog, not some rehash bs.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:Nah not writing it off due to comparisons with the past, just not my cup of tea. Well actually I kinda am, if I want to listen to 70's prog I'll listen to 70's prog, not some rehash bs.
And yet it appears at the moment that you don't like 70s KING CRIMSON.

You are one complex cookie.

I promise I'll hear this album once I get over my morbid attraction to BBCs thing with MA. Which, it kind of has, but now I've hit /pol/.

I never stood a chance. :(
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Apologies.
Last edited by doors on Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Fine by me. Go listen to Yes, it's also good.

In the mean time, I'm enjoying this. Have a great, positive day.