The Mark of Cain, 15 March 2013 at Hi-Fi Bar, Melbourne

petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Being a more recent fan considering the length of their existence and not being entirely familiar with their whole catalog of work, I was excited to see them, but not entirely sure what to expect.  It wasn't mind-blowing by any means, but it was a quality gig, nonetheless and for the $40 tickets, was an absolute must see.  It was easily the best gig I've seen performed by an Aussie band in my brief 5 years here.

So I started out the evening up at the rail with my better half. The set started out with 'The First Time', and never really let up from there.  We hung up front for about 6 tunes, then needed refills.  Following our trip to the bar, we went and stood about midway back, in the centre of the venue.  The sound was a definitely a bit bass heavy all around, not horribly bad, but enough to drown out a fair portion of the quieter vocal parts.  That said the bass player is just a monster in style and presence.  He just looks mean and ready to beat your ass if need be.  And the fill-in drummer (name and band escapes me) was fucking awesome.  Considering he's filling in for Stanier, who I'd just recently seen, he was spot-on.  Didn't miss a beat and was working his ass off.  Well done!

Being that I'm not really to clued in on all the track names, I can't provide a setlist until I find one to steal.  I can tell you that they played Retailiate (see Vid) which is my personal fave from them.  And the highlight of the night was easily the track 'Interloper'.  It just had a crushing and in your face delivery.

The only lowlight for me was probably 'Contender'.  I just don't like that song, at all, and watching the entirety of the crowd go nuts like Metallica was there playing 'Enter Sandman' was just not doing it for me.  I realise it is probably their biggest hit, but every other track I've heard from them, including those I was not familiar with on the night, is far superior.  Leave it to an American to find something to bitch about, right? But remove that song from the setlist, and I've no gripes.  All in all, great show.  I'd definitely see them again given the opportunity and I'd recommend them to anyone who gets a chance to.

well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Retaliate ain't half the song Contender is!  Glad to hear it was an excellent show, there's no Aussie band that comes close to being as good as them live in my experience.