Enabler/Lifepilot/Urns 13-Jul-13 @ Enigma Bar, Adelaide

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Didn't really feel like going out initially, but it had been a long day and I felt like a beer.  Plus the entry cost was $15 which to see an band from the US is a pretty good price.  Enabler's last record were pretty good as well, so that was enough to convince me to go.

After an entertaining walk down Hindley Street, I made my way to the bar, and as I entered Funeral Moon were playing the last 30 seconds of their last song.  I've seen them before a couple of times, so wasn't too bothered that I missed them, though they can be quite an entertaining act.  Some other local band called Impasse had played before them as well.

After grabbing a bottle of Coopers finest Dark Ale, I settled in to watch the first band - Urns from Melbourne.  They are a hardcore band I'd never really heard before and they put on a pretty good set.  A couple of drunk/high groupies seemed to be right into them which was amusing.  Was very tempted to buy their 7 inch, but never got around to it in the end.  At this stage, I was quite impressed, for whatever reason I didn't have high expectations of the support acts but was quite happy with how these guys went about it.

Next up were Lifepilot, who's claim to fame (for me at least anyway) are that the drummer is the fill in drummer for The Mark of Cain when John Stanier isn't around.  I knew they were another hardcore metal type band, but that was about it.  As expected the drumming was quite good (as was the rest of the musicianship), and the band were pretty high energy.  The music itself was the typical dumbass metal-breakdown flail your arms around and dance like a fucktard style which I know will put many of you off (thankfully there was only one person in the crowd actually doing that), but I quite enjoyed the set.  Wouldn't rush out to see them again, but would happily watch them playing again.

Enabler came on at around 11:30, and played for just under an hour.   The play a version of hardcore thrash that I quite enjoy, though sadly there were plenty of sound issues at the beginning of the set.  Which was a shame as the support acts all had pretty good sound.  After a few songs that got sorted though and they were great.  I enjoyed the set, however the gap between them and the support acts was not huge - I enjoyed all three sets pretty much equally.

For $15, it was a good night out - nothing mind blowing, but 3 pretty solid metal/hardcore acts.  Crowd was pretty small (which didn't surprise me) probably only about 50 people there, and most of them were friends of the various bands I suspect.

Here's some links in case you feel like listening to their fine work:

http://inashesinurns.bandcamp.com/

http://www.reverbnation.com/lifepilot

http://enablermke.bandcamp.com/album/all-hail-the-void
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

That Enabler bandcamp page is weird. You can only play 3 songs and there's no download options or anything.
Don't mow your lawn
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

'Lifepilot' sounds like a name for a Christian band.

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

ilikecheese said
'Lifepilot' sounds like a name for a Christian band.

I could see Urns being the name of a Christian metal band.

Don't mow your lawn