Melvins + Helmet 17th Dec 2013 @ The Gov

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Melvins + Helmet 17th Dec 2013 @ The Gov

Post by hellboy »

The last time the Melvins did a headline show in Adelaide was sometime in the 90s, so this is a show that I'd been looking forward to for some time. Having a modern version of Helmet onboard as well was a nice bonus. Even better - The Gov has Coopers Dark Ale on tap! Makes the $8 per beer much less painful!

After quick beer in the front bar with Liz & Dave, we headed into the main venue with Helmet due to start at around 8:30. Almost bang on the time they appeared, and played a pretty decent set. They (deliberately or otherwise) omitted the usual range of hits (Unsung, Wilma's Rainbow, In The Meantime) and played a set which had a range of songs from all of their records. The first few songs (mainly newer tracks) were a little dull, but as the set moved on they pulled out a range of tracks from Strap It On, Betty and Aftertaste, with only two selections from Meantime (which funnily enough, were the only two tracks that King Buzzo watched of theirs). Midway through the set they played a cover I didn't recognise. The onstage banter suggested it was either a Halo of Flies or Husker Du cover, but I'm not sure either way. It was a good track though - quite punky and upbeat. In the end Helmet played for just under an hour, which was about enough for me. They were better than when I saw them a few years ago, but still not an amazing band in their current form. I kinda wish that Page would embrace the fact that they are largely a nostalgia act these days and ditch the new songs. That said, he was obviously more into the newer material, so whatever keeps him happy I guess.

The Melvin's were pretty prompt as well, coming on just after their scheduled time of 10:00. Hag Me is always a great way to start the set, and the band continued on from their with a range of songs spanning their career. Dale even got the brushes out for a track off Freak Puke. The Melvins are a world class live band, and last night was no exception. There's some untangible quality to their live show that other bands struggle to match. Helmet are a great band (perhaps not so great in their current form) but they were blown away and made to look like a local support act in comparison. Each song that the Melvins played was fantastic, and while there are a bunch of songs I'd rather they'd played, I don't really have much in the way of complaints. If there was one, it'd be that the cover Youth Of America was a little bland. And the sound could have been better as well for that matter. I was loud (not obnoxiously so) and on the muddy side, but that could have been as much to do with where I stood (in from of Jared) as anything else. As the set wound down, Buzz walked off stage and the remaining three continued with a drum solo/noise piece which involved Jared chanting and Dale & Coady beating the shit out of the drums. It left most wondering what the fuck was going on.

Overall a great night, and a long time coming for Adelaide Melvins fans. A great way to cap off a year of excellent shows!

Here's a couple of shitty photos:

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Re: Melvins + Helmet 17th Dec 2013 @ The Gov

Post by Ravenpig »

I'm not a Melvins fan (blasphemy around these here parts, I know) but I am happy you had fun and appreciate your review. Good shit buddy
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Yes, that is blasphemy and thou should get the fuck out
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Here is the door.

Be sure not to let it hit you in the ass on your way out.
Don't mow your lawn
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

quite muddy in Melbs last night, too, especially so anytime there were vocals. There were chunks where the vox were generally indecipherable apart from the fact that I know the songs which made me wonder what the fuck the sound guys were listening to in the booth just behind me ... definitely loud as fuck, too... It wasn't fantastic, at least not as far as what I've come to expect from the Melvins, and was likely the worst of their shows I've been in attendance for (which is still as good as most bands do on a great night). Although, my current reaction is probably a bit skewed since the last time I saw them, they made Primus look fairly pedestrian. Same deal for the encore/jam also.

I'd give the show a 7/10 if I had to grade it.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Clear as a bell at the HiFi, just way too loud.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Yeah, sound was almost perfect for both bands in both Newcastle and Sydney.

Good review, Hellboi.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Helmet: Melbourne, 19 Dec. Update

Sound was much better than the night previous for the Melvins, and not as loud, but still pretty fucking loud. Pretty Meantime heavy set (4-5 tracks), with Give It, Meantime and ... wait for it ... wait for it ... Just Another Victim for an Encore ... Page and friends = still worthwhile.

Also, confirmed it to be a Husker Du cover, as tied into a joke about the guitar player's "love child" genetic make up.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
rimb
My pain is just an excuse

Post by rimb »

Yeah, was a good fun show. Shame there were no Strap It On tracks, but the Meantime and Betty stuff was great.