Big Day Out Jan 31 2013 @ Bonython Park

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Big Day Out Jan 31 2013 @ Bonython Park

Post by hellboy »

After weeks of "I would like to go to this, but really don't want to pay $180" I managed to score a free ticket a couple of days before the show. Good times! Lineup wasn't spectacular, and the timetables were compiled by some kind of idiot, but there were a few acts I was quite keen on seeing.

We arrived at around 2:30 and found some shade in the trees to watch the first act for the day - The Drones. They were pretty good, but to be honest I was more interested in drinking beer and catching up with friends at that point in time. We then wandered over to see The Algorithm do their techno/djent mixup, and they were ok as well, and looked pretty happy to be their despite only about 30 people watching their show. It was pretty cheesy at times, and I'm not sure I'd rush out to see them again, but it was fun.

The first big act for the me was Primus, who followed on after Tame Impala on the main stage. With Tim Alexander back in the band I was keen to see if they'd improved since the last time around. The good news is they definitely had. The sound was a little on the quiet side, and they aren't really a festival act in my book, but it was a good set heavy on older stuff and light on their new album. Les seemed in pretty good spirits as well, last time I saw them at Soundwave he just didn't seem that happy to be their to me. Thankfully, this was to be the only set in full sunlight, as the forecast of 40 was one I wasn't looking forward to. Sadly Primus we scheduled to clash with both Cosmic Psychos and Bo Ningen, which was pretty damn annoying.

Once they were done we headed over to one of the side stages for Mudhoney. The sound mix was pretty average for them, though we were standing to the side a bit to grab some shade, but they put on an otherwise good set. I wouldn't say I was blown away, but 'd be keen to see them in a more intimate setting.

It was pretty slim pickings after Mudhoney, so we wandered over to the main stage to grab some dinner, and see some of Beady Eye. Liam Gallagher was certainly doing his "I am an asshole" schtick and they played an Oasis song, so the crowd seemed happy, at least for a short while. The rest of their work was pretty forgettable.

Vista Chino were set to rock the side stage next, and much like Beady Eye it was obvious most were there for Kyuss tracks. Thankfully the band delivered with only two tracks out of the 10 or so they played being their own work. It was an enjoyable set, and despite not really being Kyuss they do a serviceable job of replicating them.

We caught the last couple of Arcade Fire tracks while waiting for the headline act, and to my surprise they weren't as awful as anticipated. They did a nice Devo cover, and seemed reasonably entertaining.

Pearl Jam were the main reason to me coming along, and as usual the put on a great show featuring all the tracks you'd expect to hear. The singing along was so loud at several points that you could hardly hear the band. Eddie & Co seemed in good form, and as usual we quite chatty with the crowd. They are a quality live act, and while not everyone digs them there is no doubting they are one of the best bands in the world. We stayed for the main set, which was over and hour long, they played for another hour after that, but we decided a toilet break and some Deftones was in order.

The Deftones were headlining the side stage, and had a pretty cool lighting rig to accompany them - a hole bunch of LEDs along the back and side of stages. It was quite nice and much more impressive than the light show I remember from their tour last year. The good thing about Deftones and festival sets is that they stick to their better tracks, and I was happy with the set choice. They even played Passenger with a couple from Naked & Famous filling in for Maynard's parts. It wasn't really the same, but it's a nice track anyway. Overall a good set, and for me better than when I saw them at HQ not long ago.

Overall it was a good day, thankfully the weather wasn't quite as hot as forecast. There seemed to be a decent amount of shade, and there was a breeze as well which took the edge off. Not sure that the day was worth $180 (which I thankfully didn't have to pay) but it was enjoyable none the less. Numbers seemed a little down during the day, but by the time Pearl Jam came on it looked like the crowd was quite decent. It wouldn't surprise me if this were the last Big Day Out, so thanks for the memories!
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Re: Big Day Out Jan 31 2013 @ Bonython Park

Post by markuspoop »

Pearl Jam always puts on excellent live shows. Every time I see them they give of this vibe like it's just a big party in your own actual backyard.

And whomever had PJ and Deftones scheduled to play at the same time is a fucking moron and deserves a swift kick in the balls or lady-balls.
I like to poop naked.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Deftones had to play at night because of the said lightshow.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Deftones, Pearl Jam, Primus and Arcade Fire for $180 sounds like a decent deal to me. good review HB.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Yeah it's not the bands NYHC, it's the brand that's failing.

Basically the BDO was the first big touring festival Australia had for music, encompassing all thing alternative, yet now we have niche festivals for said music, mainly metal/punk and electronic, there is no real need for the BDO anymore, it's a dinosaur on the touring festival circuit.

Hopefully BDO dies and harvest comes back.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:Deftones, Pearl Jam, Primus and Arcade Fire for $180 sounds like a decent deal to me. good review HB.
It depends on your perspective. If you look at is as though you'd pay $180 to see those bands individually anyway, then yes it is good value.

Is a festival where only 4 bands are all that's really worth seeing? No, that's not good value in my book. It seems trivial considering it's only $30, but if it were under $150 I would have been much happier.