Zorn@60 Adelaide Festival Centre 14-Mar-2014

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Zorn@60 Adelaide Festival Centre 14-Mar-2014

Post by hellboy »

I'd been anticipating this gig for some time now, and with row D tickets in hand the night finally came. 4 and 1/2 hours later and this is one of the easiest 10/10s I've been able to give. The show was to feature seven different sets focusing on a different aspect of John's work.

First up was the Song Project, probably the most contemporary piece of the night. It featured a trio of singers including Mike Patton (clearly a drawcard for many in attendence, myself included), Jesse Harris and Sofia Rei. The band, which also featured Trevor Dunn, Mark Ribot and Joey Baron played about an hours worth of light rock and contemporary music, many with a latin feel to them. As was to be displayed right through the night, the musicianship on display was breathtaking, each member of the six piece band as well as the singers bringing their A game.

After a short intermission (there were three throughout the night) the next act up was Illuminations. It was a 20 minute experimental jazz type piece with a piano, drums and Dunn on bass once more (Dunn took part in almost all of the pieces, moreso than any other on the night). The piano playing was breathtaking and the jazz drumming was sublime.

Next up were a all girl vocal quintet called The Holy Visions. They performed a 20 minute set full of harmony, chanting and also some quite unusual soundscapes created only with their voices. Certainly one of the most unusual experiences of the night.

Last act in the second set was The Alchemist, described in the program as "a true and faithful chronicling of the esoteric spiritual conferences and concomitant hermetic actions conducted by Her Majesty's Alchemist Dr John Dee and one Edward Kelley invoking the Nine Hierarchies of Angelic Orders to visible appearance, circa 1587". Sadly no angels were visible, but this string quartet delivered a piece of work that was seeming quite complex and unlike much I've heard before (though I am no expert on classical music by any means). It sounded quite interesting on paper, but was probably the least interesting act of the night.

Following the second intermission the were the act I was most interested in seeing this night - Moonchild - Templars: In Sacred Blood. A four piece act featuring Mike Patton, John Medeski on Organ, Joey Baron and Trevor Dunn working their way though the album released a couple of years ago (some of you may recall it made my top 10 list in 2012 I think). The performance was energetic and flawless, with Patton getting right into it and showing off the full range of his vocals. They held court for about 40 minutes, and there was not a dull moment with most of the crowd getting into what was the most high energy set of the night.

Following the final intermission the full band were out again for The Dreamers, which was a couple of short avant-garde instrumental pieces with a jazz and surf type vibe to them. The set was short and enjoyable.

Most of the band remained on stage for Electric Masada, the finale to the event. John Zorn finally took the spotlight with some stellar saxophone playing, and the set was largely a rock and jazz fusion which was very organic in nature. Zorn would frequently point at two or three artists on stage and ask them to collaborate in some way. Once again the level of skill these guys display, both collectively and individually is mind blowing and I doubt there were many left in the room who weren't amazed by the 4 long pieces the band played.

Overall, it was an amazing night, well and truly worth the asking price for what is most likely a once in a lifetime show for Australia. If this show ever makes it out to your neck of the woods, don't hesitate - you won't find many better ways to spend your entertainment dollar.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Re: Zorn@60 Adelaide Festival Centre 14-Mar-2014

Post by petemasterpete »

*jealous* but not really cuz I was actually at a gig and not just being old and sitting home whilst you were in attendance

great review
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

I'm so jealous especially your mention of great piano, but the QOTSA/NIN experience, and my playing up afterwards, took it out of me I was going nowhere. Excellent review!
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

@hellboy

You need to listen to this:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

:)
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Thanks for the tips - there's so much Zorn out there I haven't even heard the majority of it. Will add this album to my list...