QOTSA & NIN @ Rod Laver Arena-14 Mar-2014

petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

QOTSA & NIN @ Rod Laver Arena-14 Mar-2014

Post by petemasterpete »

Not spoiler tagging anything, cuz it's pretty obvious ... so here goes:

The night started by receiving our pre-sale bands and lining up for about a half hour before they shuffled us through the underbelly of the Arena direct to the floor where we made our way to the barricade just off stage left where the bass players were eventually to be lined up for each band. We sat and had a few drinks and made small talk for an hour or so before Brody Dalle came on.

Brody dabbles pretty much straight forward post-grungy power chords with a raspy female voice. I'm mostly only familiar with her from a bit of a 2001 Lolla Distillers set I'd caught. She was apparently told not to sing as she has a chest infection, but being in her hometown was having none of it and performed well none-the-less. There were a few highlights including a cover of a cover in Brian Eno's Needle in a Camel's Eye, performed in a heavier rendition to the QOTSA cover version. Also, her last number, 'Underworld', was quite enjoyable wit ha really funky bass intro and some great lead guitar tones.

After about 20 minutes, Quees came out and started the show as most recent shows have begun; with 'Millionaire'. I never have a problem with this song being played anywhere, anytime s I've a bit of an affinity for it. It's the song my brother played for me on my way to my wedding and I'll always love it for that, among other reasons. They started out with a good selection of fan faves for the first 4 or 5 tracks and it went over really well with me, personally, but it was obvious the crowd was into it as well. Then they went in to Smooth Sailing, which is one of the few standout tracks for me on the new record and I felt it translated really well in the live setting, as did most of the new tracks on the nite, granted I used '... Like Clockwork' as a pee/more beer break. Other highlights for me were 'Misfit Love' from Era Vulgaris as I'd not seen that one live before and the obvious closer Song for the Dead ... it's just a great track all around. But I'd have to say that the best part of their set was the Rated R track, 'Better Living Through Chemistry'. Not only had I never seen it live, unlike most of their set choices, I was completely surprised by it to. It was performed perfectly. Josh sounded great all night and Jon T. was a beast as usual. Haven't seen/heard the drums played on the 'Songs for the Deaf' tracks that well since the actual recording was released.

Overall, I'd have to agree with HB on his 8/10 assessment. Not because there were any major flaws on the night, performance and the sound was mostly spot on, but I always feel like they ignore the deeper, better cuts from the Lullibies record and there are some gems there I still haven't heard and even live, I'm still not totally sold on the new record.

[youtube][/youtube]

After another 20 minute break, the lights went back down and NIN came on to the growing sounds of Pinion. They kicked off immediately with 'Copy of A', which is one of the better tracks on the new record and the staggered entrance of performers into the track did turn out to be a great way to start the gig. The track has obvious electronic elements and I was anticipating a more electronic set, as has been mentioned, but that turned out not to be. It was the opening beats of Survivalism, next up, that really got myself and the rest of the crowd going. They directly followed that up with fan faves, Terrible Lie, March of the Pigs (officially my favorite live song to see, ever), and piggy. Next was the Frail/The Wretched, which is always welcome by me and always brilliantly done by Trent and crew. Those four tracks, performed in succession are just a beautiful live experience for me and always have been. I just never really get bored of that section of a NIN show. After that was another highlight moment as they kicked into 'The Warning' from Year Zero, which on it's own isn't a favorite of mine, but I like that album and have only heard a hand full of those tracks performed live. 'Came Back Haunted' came on immediately following and I despise it, so I took the opportunity to go get more drinks here. The next track, was also a new one, and he started to lose me a bit ubtil the end where they did a little quiet teaser of a portion of 'Closer'. In itself, Closer would have been an obvious setlist addition, but hearing just a snippet performed in a new way was quite refreshing as a longtime NIN fan. He immediately got me back into it with Big Come Down and Gave Up (likely my longest running favorite NIN tune). From there, the show continued to be great in performance, but lacked in substance, with the exception of 'Wish', from my personal perspective. He did two HDTA covers with his wife on stage, which weren't horrible, but 'I didn't pay to go see NIN and get HDTA' is all I could thing the whole time. However, the lighting during the first of the two was the best of the entire night from either band. As predictable as Tool has seem to become with their setlists, so is the case with a NIN show for quite some time. 'Head Like a Hole' into 'Hurt', have closed every single show of theirs I've been to since 1994 ... that's 20 years no ... anyway, we headed out after the first verse of 'Hurt', to beat the crowd and have a piss before exiting.

Another 8/10 here. The sound and performance were spot on, but the inclusion of what are essentially Trent cover songs and the same old closing numbers spoilt an otherwise great performance from my perspective. I was quite thankful that it was mostly devoid of the newer electronic direction Trent's taken.

[youtube][/youtube]

Given the arena atmosphere and the variations of tones and textures these acts utilize, it's also worth noting that the sound was quite pleasant where we were all night. Surprisingly, all of the shows I've been to at Rod Laver (Radiohead, Tool and this one) have not suffered in this area, which is generally not my experience in these sports complex type venues.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Re: QOTSA & NIN @ Rod Laver Arena-14 Mar-2014

Post by Ravenpig »

"In this Twilight" was actually the show closer the last few years before NIN took a sabbatical.
Hey! Denty!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

that may be a possibility on the lights and farewell tours, both of which I didn't attend since I was living in Oz, but I just did a quick check of random dates back to 2009 Soundwave ( the last gig I was in attendance for), including some Euro festivals, Bonnaroo and other US dates and all but one ended with Hurt ... the exceptions being a gig that ended with Hurt and the Encore was Hand That Feeds and then, guess what, Head Like a Hole and another that ended with Head Like a Hole and the Encore ended with Hurt ... I'm entirely sure that every show I've been to, that's 14-15 shows, ended with those two songs. This is exemplified by both DVD releases:

AATCHB: "Hurt"

BYIT: "Hurt"

Anywho, my gripe about the HDTA tracks came to fruition today as I review last night's Melbourne gig. That show saw tracks like Reptile and The Great Destroyer instead. Of which Reptile is the track I specifically mentioned to my wife at the gig could have been being played instead at the time. No biggy really, as I'm fully content with the show I attended and I've seen them before, it just highlights my thoughts of wasted NIN time.

Beyond all that, the tickets and the shows were great value for money with Radiohead and Tool costing the same price individually at 130 and 140 respectively.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Great review Pete, very comprehensive. Better Living Through Chemistry is one of their best tracks I wish we'd had it, in fact just something from Rated R would have been nice. A couple of days have now passed and the gig is still making me smile. That's the litmus test I reckon. it was certainly great value for money I walked out of there and felt as drained as I have been after a good day at a festival.

As for Hurt, as a novice to NIN live I loved it, but I had to giggle reading one Aussie reviewer describe it as the song Cash immortalised.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Went to last night's show.

Arrived at around 7:30, only to find that NIN had already taken the stage 10 minutes ago and were now onto their third song! Fuck!! And I missed the opener which I later found out was March Of The Pigs!! Double Fuck!!!!

Oh well. Not much I can do about it but enjoy the rest of the show.

And NIN were great. Pretty much everything the OP posted, so no need to go over the same old ground. But the band really nailed it (HA!!). Flawless performance by Trenty Wenty and co. I was definitely impressed.

Would have liked more off The Fragile and The Downward Spiral (only Reptile and Hurt of TDS and nothing that I could remember off TF) but what they did play was exceptional, especially the two tracks they played from Broken (Wish and Gave Up). The lighting was great and the sound was technically some of the cleanest and purest I have ever heard at a concert. And they played Copy Of A which left me salivating for more...

I must say I enjoyed this performance maybe more than the recent Tool gig.

Maybe.

8.8/10

I went into the gig not giving a shit about QOTSA and they didn''t disappoint me there - as I left the gig STILL not giving a shit about them.

Technically they were very good - the songs were pumping, the crowd was jumping and the visuals were great. But I more or less sat in my seat calmly and politely watched, not really "taking part" in all the excitement around me as I couldn't really connect with the band's schtick.

Not really my kind of thing - QOTSA seem for all the world to be a "good time" band. Having a bbq, a few beers, a salad, some groovy friends and QOTSA pumping away in the background.

Yeah. Pfffft. Give me a dark room and some Burzum any day....

3/10
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

I bet you're great at parties
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

thanx liz ... I know what you're talking about with the litmus test ... that deftones show from last year around this time still feels like it was last weekend. Pretty sure this one won't stick like that one, or others from these bands but it was a quality show.

@Cal, according to the setlist, you missed your fragile track (Somewhat Damaged) and Pigs, but you did get Reptile, which is just such a standout ... also, you did kind of nail down QOTSA. Whenever someone asks me to describe them, I generally refer to them as Old time, shake your ass kinda of Rock 'n' Roll for modern times.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Calfium Jay wrote:Went to last night's show.

Arrived at around 7:30, only to find that NIN had already taken the stage 10 minutes ago and were now onto their third song! Fuck!! And I missed the opener which I later found out was March Of The Pigs!! Double Fuck!!!!

Oh well. Not much I can do about it but enjoy the rest of the show.

And NIN were great. Pretty much everything the OP posted, so no need to go over the same old ground. But the band really nailed it (HA!!). Flawless performance by Trenty Wenty and co. I was definitely impressed.

Would have liked more off The Fragile and The Downward Spiral (only Reptile and Hurt of TDS and nothing that I could remember off TF) but what they did play was exceptional, especially the two tracks they played from Broken (Wish and Gave Up). The lighting was great and the sound was technically some of the cleanest and purest I have ever heard at a concert. And they played Copy Of A which left me salivating for more...

I must say I enjoyed this performance maybe more than the recent Tool gig.

Maybe.

8.8/10

I went into the gig not giving a shit about QOTSA and they didn''t disappoint me there - as I left the gig STILL not giving a shit about them.

Technically they were very good - the songs were pumping, the crowd was jumping and the visuals were great. But I more or less sat in my seat calmly and politely watched, not really "taking part" in all the excitement around me as I couldn't really connect with the band's schtick.

Not really my kind of thing - QOTSA seem for all the world to be a "good time" band. Having a bbq, a few beers, a salad, some groovy friends and QOTSA pumping away in the background.

Yeah. Pfffft. Give me a dark room and some Burzum any day....

3/10
Anyone else think that this explains a helluvalot?
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

well it explains why you two need to get a fucking room one of these days ... maybe do some downers and get to cutting
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

petemasterpete wrote:well it explains why you two need to get a fucking room one of these days ... maybe do some downers and get to cutting
That's not a bad idea.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

petemasterpete wrote: @Cal, according to the setlist, you missed your fragile track (Somewhat Damaged) and Pigs....
OH NO!!! My two favourite NIN tracks.

Stupid fucking Grand Prix traffic!!!!

:cry:

Yeah. I don't really care much for Shake Yr Booty / Pumping Rock'n'Roll shit. QOTSA pretty much fill that niche to a tee.

Nup, really have little time for them. Oh and I found out I indeed DID know one of their songs: that sucky assed "Nicotine Valium Marajuana" mantra that I used to turn off whenever I heard it on the radio. Yikes!! Is that them?? Fuck off.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

@pete

I went to about 3 NIN shows where "In This Twilight" was the closer, but they indeed were during the "Lights" and "Farewell" tours.
Hey! Denty!
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

Not much to add to the 2nd show in Melbourne...but have to say I haven't had time to really digest the night. Probably only differing opinion was that QOTSA stole the show, and after stating I would rather see them open, I was stoked to see them take us home. Not to take too much away from NIN, as they showed amazing energy on stage, but they couldn't quite get the crowd on the same level they were. It’s a shame Melbourne crowds are so fucking weak when it comes to appreciating what is happening in front of them. At one point an Irish girl turns to me and asks sarcastically; NIN are on stage right? I was like, yeah why? She said, OK right...so what the fuck is wrong with all of these people?! I turned and looked at the yawns and gormless faces, and thought, she's got a point.

We got a mixed up set from NIN compared to Friday by the looks. Queens also played a healthy encore which didn't happen on Friday, but I would have been happy with either set list from both bands.

Fun night, and probably on par from what we got from tool last year at this venue (which is all I really have to compare it to) 7.5/10.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

264zn wrote:It’s a shame Melbourne crowds are so fucking weak when it comes to appreciating what is happening in front of them. At one point an Irish girl turns to me and asks sarcastically; NIN are on stage right? I was like, yeah why? She said, OK right...so what the fuck is wrong with all of these people?! I turned and looked at the yawns and gormless faces, and thought, she's got a point.
This.

Was absolutely gobsmacked by the reaction of the Melbourne crowd when NIN hit the stage. It's as if they were watching an infomercial about sanitary pads instead of one of the, if not the most, famous industrial rock band of all time.

Then QOTSA come onstage like some glorified rockabilly shitkicker wedding act and the crowd predictably go wild.....

:|

petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

264zn wrote:It’s a shame Melbourne crowds are so fucking weak
this is essentially why the Mrs. and I refuse to go to this venue and not be on the floor, up front for shows like some ageless wonder kids periodically thrashing about or dancing as the right times approach to do so ... from that vantage point, I can't be disgusted wit hthe indifference of a crowd that just sold out an arena in 2 minutes for apparently no reason other than to say they were there on a facebook status.

It's pretty well known around these parts that I loathe the Melbourne concert going crowd in general, but particularly the Arena going crowd. What a bunch of fucking wankers ... please, I implore you, stay home and watch Friends or whatever shithouse program reruns you fancy on your couch so "one of the, if not the most, famous industrial rock band of all time" can visit town and play to a proper crowd of actual fans in a proper venue made for rock shows ... Wankers, the lot of ya for the most part. Ummm, yeah, I bought a ticket, now I'm gonna sit here and golf clap periodically if I can be bothered looking away from my fucking iphone for more than 30 seconds.

I'd wager that I've seen as many people sitting on their hands at the melbourne tool/nin shows alone, as I have at everyone of their concerts I've been to historically, combined.

*Rant over ... We truly enjoyed our evening out!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

@Cal - did mention how much I hate QOTSA? NIN destroy QOTSA on every conceivable level.

@pete - tell me how you really feel

You know what really irritates me? When I spend good money on a good SEAT and motherfuckers won't sit down. You wanna stand get GA. You wanna dance and sing get GA. Some of us want to actually watch and listen.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

It wasn't just that, it was the fact that most people around me looked as if they had stumbled into the concert by accident. I put it down to the fact that QOTSA draws a more "mainstream" crowd than NIN. Most had a "what the hell" type expression on their faces. Also, they just didn't.....look like a NIN audience and were dressed as if they were attending a theatre viewing instead.

Sounds snobby, but I was looking around thinking: "You're not here for NIN are you? Either are you? You're definitely not. You look like you'd be more at home at a Shakira gig....etc etc"

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I doubt most people who grew up listening to NIN still dress 'gothy' today.

It's called becoming an adult, you'll get there one day champ.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

I didn't dress "gothy". Nor have I ever. It wasn't so much the dress, it was more the look/feel of "what is this? this is making me uncomfortable?" that most of the concert goers were exuding.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:I doubt most people who grew up listening to NIN still dress 'gothy' today.

Band t shirt and jeans is the default.

Kind of always was for me, regardless of age.
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

The Boss wrote:
Not Tyson wrote:I doubt most people who grew up listening to NIN still dress 'gothy' today.

Band t shirt and jeans is the default.

Kind of always was for me, regardless of age.
Agreed^

Glad I'm not the only one who felt the crowd was fucking average (on both nights). It's weird when you see old guys on stage rocking out 10x harder than the faithful and generally youthful crowd looking back at them.

Next time I'm flying home! Actually could probably still make the Wellington gig...hmmm
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Calfium Jay wrote:I didn't dress "gothy". Nor have I ever. It wasn't so much the dress, it was more the look/feel of "what is this? this is making me uncomfortable?" that most of the concert goers were exuding.
Instead of paying so much attention to those around you maybe you should have, I don't know, been watching the band?

shrugs
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

It always seems strange to me the amount of time some people take observing the crowd around them. Usually the only thing that bothers me during a show is if some 6"6' giant is standing in front of me.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I look for the hot chicks, that's it.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

And the bar.

Toilets, sometimes.