Neurosis @ HQ 5-Aug-2014

Post Reply
User avatar
hellboy
Site Admin
Posts: 11514
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:01 pm
Height: 182cm
Contact:

Neurosis @ HQ 5-Aug-2014

Post by hellboy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:59 am

So Liz and I headed to the excellent HQ venue here in Adelaide to see US band Neurosis and locals Space Bong.

I haven't seen Space Bong before (Liz has and wasn't overly impressed) but am a fan of their music, so was keen to see some of their set. Family commitments made it tough though since they were due onstage at 8:30. However they either started later than anticpated, or played longer, as they were still playing when we arrived and we got to see two reasonably lengthy songs (all their songs are somewhat lengthy). Liz commented she didn't even recognise the band. I thought they were quite good, though not amazing either. Either way, I was happy to see them finally, and look forward to seeing a full set of theirs at a later date.

Neurosis came on just after 9:30, and played a long set, almost 2 hours when they walked off stage. I'm not a big enough fan of Neurosis to comment on the setlist choice, but they played most of the tracks that I like the most. As expected, it wasn't a high energy gig, but it was high on atmosphere and intesity. All members of the band seemed really into the show, despite their being what I considered to be a disappointing crowd (the venue was lucky to be a third full I reckon). Personally I think they venue choice wasn't a great one - HQ is a great place to see bands, but far too big for Neurosis. Still, it didn't affect the atmosphere much - those that were there seemed quite into the show.

Sonically, the sound was great (another good point of the chosen venue) though during some of the "soundscapes" it seemed like the volume was cranked to permanent hearing loss levels. My ears are still ringing. If you're planning on going - consider earplugs!

Overall it was an enjoyable gig. I wouldn't say I've been converted to a huge Neurosis fan, but I can now appreciate the power behind their live sets. I thought the ticket prices were a little high ($70 at the door) so not sure it was great value, but fans would get better mileage I expect.

Setlist:
A Sun That Never Sets
Locust Star
At the Well
Distill (Watching the Swarm)
The Tide
Water Is Not Enough
My Heart for Deliverance
Bleeding the Pigs
The Doorway
Stones from the Sky

Shitty phone pic:

Image

User avatar
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Posts: 5784
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:28 pm
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet
Location: Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Neurosis @ HQ 5-Aug-2014

Post by The Boss » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:09 am

hellboy wrote:So Liz and I headed to the excellent HQ venue here in Adelaide to see US band Neurosis and locals Space Bong.

I haven't seen Space Bong before (Liz has and wasn't overly impressed) but am a fan of their music, so was keen to see some of their set. Family commitments made it tough though since they were due onstage at 8:30. However they either started later than anticpated, or played longer, as they were still playing when we arrived and we got to see two reasonably lengthy songs (all their songs are somewhat lengthy). Liz commented she didn't even recognise the band. I thought they were quite good, though not amazing either. Either way, I was happy to see them finally, and look forward to seeing a full set of theirs at a later date.

Neurosis came on just after 9:30, and played a long set, almost 2 hours when they walked off stage. I'm not a big enough fan of Neurosis to comment on the setlist choice, but they played most of the tracks that I like the most. As expected, it wasn't a high energy gig, but it was high on atmosphere and intesity. All members of the band seemed really into the show, despite their being what I considered to be a disappointing crowd (the venue was lucky to be a third full I reckon). Personally I think they venue choice wasn't a great one - HQ is a great place to see bands, but far too big for Neurosis. Still, it didn't affect the atmosphere much - those that were there seemed quite into the show.

Sonically, the sound was great (another good point of the chosen venue) though during some of the "soundscapes" it seemed like the volume was cranked to permanent hearing loss levels. My ears are still ringing. If you're planning on going - consider earplugs!

Overall it was an enjoyable gig. I wouldn't say I've been converted to a huge Neurosis fan, but I can now appreciate the power behind their live sets. I thought the ticket prices were a little high ($70 at the door) so not sure it was great value, but fans would get better mileage I expect.

Shitty phone pic:

Image
That's incredibly sad. I would expect NEUROSIS to at least three-quarter fill any venue in any major city in the world.

I'm really glad someone I know got to see them on this tour. I would absolutely kill to see them.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.

User avatar
hellboy
Site Admin
Posts: 11514
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:01 pm
Height: 182cm
Contact:

Re: Neurosis @ HQ 5-Aug-2014

Post by hellboy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:12 am

The Boss wrote: That's incredibly sad. I would expect NEUROSIS to at least three-quarter fill any venue in any major city in the world.

I'm really glad someone I know got to see them on this tour. I would absolutely kill to see them.
It was a very optomistic venue choice, no doubt. Not entirely sure why they chose it, I can think of at least two other venues that would have been of a suitable size. Blind optimism aside, I think maybe they needed to pick a venue with a larger stage?

User avatar
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Posts: 5784
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:28 pm
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet
Location: Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Neurosis @ HQ 5-Aug-2014

Post by The Boss » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:15 am

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote: That's incredibly sad. I would expect NEUROSIS to at least three-quarter fill any venue in any major city in the world.

I'm really glad someone I know got to see them on this tour. I would absolutely kill to see them.
It was a very optomistic venue choice, no doubt. Not entirely sure why they chose it, I can think of at least two other venues that would have been of a suitable size. Blind optimism aside, I think maybe they needed to pick a venue with a larger stage?
I saw SECRET CHIEFS 3 on a stage almost that exact same size (maybe smaller) at The Cambridge in Newcastle. I was about to make a comment on how a five-piece like NEUROSIS could really use a bigger stage judging from that photo, but now I'm just laughing.

SC3 had three members at any one time sitting down with their legs dangling over the stage. Fucking hilarious.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.

User avatar
liz
Lunchinator
Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:03 am
Location: Radelaide

Re: Neurosis @ HQ 5-Aug-2014

Post by liz » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:32 am

I really enjoyed them, they had some great moments. i loved the gentle melodic passages and then the loud (and it was loud) segue into the heavy and dense. I was impressed with the vocal too, from both guitarists, one in particular who had quite a lovely rich rumble (Hellboy tells me he does some acoustic solo work and I think it would be a good listen).

They were very good but there were also a few patches were my mind started to wander. I'd like to condense quite a few of their songs I think. But hey all in all a class act.

Thanks for the push Hellboy. I was tired but I'm really glad I made the effort.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."

User avatar
Calfium Jay
Duck Sucker
Posts: 2663
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:31 pm
Height: 189cm
Location: Between the buttons!!!

Re: Neurosis @ HQ 5-Aug-2014

Post by Calfium Jay » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:37 am

I'm going tonight. The review pretty much encapsulates what I imagined it would be like. $70 is a bit high but seeing as so few bands that I'm into pass through Melbourne I will definitely make the effort to make the long drive into town.

And it's been AGES since I last listened to any of my Neurosis albums....
People like me just want to watch the world burn.

User avatar
hellboy
Site Admin
Posts: 11514
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:01 pm
Height: 182cm
Contact:

Re: Neurosis @ HQ 5-Aug-2014

Post by hellboy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:10 am

Calfium Jay wrote:I'm going tonight. The review pretty much encapsulates what I imagined it would be like. $70 is a bit high but seeing as so few bands that I'm into pass through Melbourne I will definitely make the effort to make the long drive into town.

And it's been AGES since I last listened to any of my Neurosis albums....
I look forward to your thoughts on the show.

User avatar
Calfium Jay
Duck Sucker
Posts: 2663
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:31 pm
Height: 189cm
Location: Between the buttons!!!

Re: Neurosis @ HQ 5-Aug-2014

Post by Calfium Jay » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:18 am

I will also give a detailed description of the lamb kebab with chili and garlic that I plan on having afterwards.
People like me just want to watch the world burn.

User avatar
hellboy
Site Admin
Posts: 11514
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:01 pm
Height: 182cm
Contact:

Re: Neurosis @ HQ 5-Aug-2014

Post by hellboy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:23 am

Calfium Jay wrote:I will also give a detailed description of the lamb kebab with chili and garlic that I plan on having afterwards.
Please do. I just read that their flight got delayed and they might be on stage later than expected, so you'll have time for two.

User avatar
Calfium Jay
Duck Sucker
Posts: 2663
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:31 pm
Height: 189cm
Location: Between the buttons!!!

Re: Neurosis @ HQ 5-Aug-2014

Post by Calfium Jay » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:39 pm

A somewhat packed Hi Fi Bar greeted me as I made my way into the downstairs cavern. "Dark for dark business" I thought and knew that it was so. A deafening roar signaled that opening act, Whitehorse, were still not yet done bludgeoning the crowd into permissive subservience. Unless the reader knows already their aura of deviancy, Whitehorse are such that they exact a beautiful, malevolent violence that cannot be tempered. A wounded beast that smites its enemies even as it lies bleeding from gaping wounds.

A fell smile etched itself across my features like a creeping shadow. And all was well.

Now fell a victim.

It has been many a year since I last bore witness to this hive of scum and their blood curdling mania and no doubt it will be many a year to come again before it passes once more. So I take it all in, breathing in the foul air, like the stench from a fetid, festering cunt, and rest assuredly in the knowledge that all will be laid bare. This plague shall know no breach or reason. Soon it shall sleep again.

Amen Ra!

As time grew near and the hour of ten soon came to pass, I jostled for position amongst the swelling throngs. Yet still I kept my distance from the stage's creeping embrace. I know my frailties and they are many and so I judge this new adversary to be one of great power. Like a spider creeping, crawling on bearskin rug, it is a thing of beauty and yet a warning will sound out to all. Admire me - but do not touch me for my bite is such. Know this and be humbled.

And so I was. And I sipped my cherry coke and waited.

I did not have long to wait.

Sirens. And as such. Sirens and a darkness crept. Figures, cloaked and brazen appear. A deadly nightshade takes hold and the crowd rear back like a horse spooked by the threat of violence.

Neurosis have come - the trumpets will bray out. Bargaining and yet a mere precedent of what is to come. The Apocalypse arises from its thousand year slumbering dreamspace.

:roll:

Yeah, all in all it was a good night. Neurosis were in good form and played a steady, violently intense two hour show. Like HB I probably couldn't pick out individual song names or which album they came from (it's been ages) but in the e that did not really matter. Thoroughly enjoyed getting pummeled by their gargantuan, fucken "plane taking off inside the goddamn venue" sized riffs. The intensity was tempered time to time by these eerie ambient / industrial noise pieces that would put most experimental noise acts to shame. The three pronged guitar attack served as a welcome assault on the senses and the drumming was second to only.....well, YOU KNOW WHO.

Best night out I'd had in ages. Worth every cent of the $70 entry price.

(9/10)
People like me just want to watch the world burn.

User avatar
Calfium Jay
Duck Sucker
Posts: 2663
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:31 pm
Height: 189cm
Location: Between the buttons!!!

Re: Neurosis @ HQ 5-Aug-2014

Post by Calfium Jay » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:40 pm

hellboy wrote: A Sun That Never Sets
Locust Star
Bleeding the Pigs

These were the only songs all night that I could safely say I could recognise and name.
People like me just want to watch the world burn.

User avatar
liz
Lunchinator
Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:03 am
Location: Radelaide

Re: Neurosis @ HQ 5-Aug-2014

Post by liz » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:44 pm

Yes there was some excellent drumming. A very hard hitter that bloke.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."

Post Reply