ALBUM OF THE WEEK - GRAVITY X - TRUCKFIGHTERS

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Synchtube session underway.  Not listening to Truckfighters yet, will wait until a few people are online.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Well, that listening session failed miserably.  Maybe some other time...
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I ended up not being home, my apologies
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Just taking a listen now, and I'm going to post my thoughts track by track.  I rate my songs in my music player out of 5, so I shall do the same here.  Enjoy:

Desert Cruiser: A lot of fuzz on this track.  Too much actually.  It almost sounds like the drums are fuzzy as well.  Not an amazing track, has a pretty forgettable chorus and the riffs are nothing to write home about.  Keeps dragging on and on. 3/5
Gargarismo: A little poppy in parts, a more melodic track than the first.  Starts to get interesting in the middle, but then heads off and an uninteresting tangent.  The first two tracks on this album are pretty underwhelming. 3/5
Momentum: Starts off light and melodic again.  Almost sounds like radio rock with John Garcia on vocals.  Bored so far.  Decent riff on the chorus.  Mini drum solo in the latter half of the album.  Works it's way into a solid, if somewhat repetitive groove for the last third of the track, not really unusual for stoner rock, but not grabbing me either. 3/5
Freewheelin': Finally, the album starts to rock in a good way.  A bit more complexity in the riffs are a good thing as well.  More repetitive riffing, but actually feels good on this track.  Like the little change at the 3:00 mark.  Dirty Harry playing at the end - the sign that the album is going to pick up... 4/5
Deal: Starts with a pretty average guitar solo, but sounds like Red Fang so all is good so far.  Riff is catchy. 4/5
Superfunk: Who came up with these terrible song names?  Not very funky at all.  More uninspiring riffs and vocals.  Can't really say this album is bad so far, but certainly has a feeling of "been here before".  Ends on a decent note. 3/5
Subfloor: Trumpets and boring rock.  Next! 3/5
Gweedo-Reedo: Drumbeat stolen directly from a Kyuss song!  Eventully moves into cool riff with an interesting rhythm.  Decent chorus as well. 4/5

I'll listen to the rest of the album and post a summary this evening.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Part 2:

Manhattan Project: Had this playing, and totally forgot to write anything about it.  Really not much to say about this song except foregettable. 3/5
In Search Of (The): Nice rollicking riff.  Reminds me of Kyuss once more (moreso that other tracks on the album).  I think I prefer their heavier stuff.  4/5
Intermission: Funny to have an intermission near the end of the album, but anyway.  Nice musical interlude, but I'll probably skip it on most listens.  3/5
A. Zapruder: Another heavy song, cool riff and nice use of the flanger.  Nice beat and rhythm as well.  Best track of the album so far. 4.5/5
Altered State: Seems instrumental so far.  Given the title I expect I'll need drugs to enjoyed.  Alas the only thing I have is a glass of wine and some panadol, and that's not doing the job.  3/5

Well, all up, it's not a terrible album, though looking at my track ratings, I find it hard to say it's a great one at all.  Certainly has it's moments and there's a few tracks I will regularly listen to, but largely I found the album a little generic and repetitive.

It should be noted I do prefer their later work.

Looking forward to the next album of the week!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy1975 said
Part 2:

Manhattan Project: Had this playing, and totally forgot to write anything about it.  Really not much to say about this song except foregettable. 3/5
In Search Of (The): Nice rollicking riff.  Reminds me of Kyuss once more (moreso that other tracks on the album).  I think I prefer their heavier stuff.  4/5
Intermission: Funny to have an intermission near the end of the album, but anyway.  Nice musical interlude, but I'll probably skip it on most listens.  3/5
A. Zapruder: Another heavy song, cool riff and nice use of the flanger.  Nice beat and rhythm as well.  Best track of the album so far. 4.5/5
Altered State: Seems instrumental so far.  Given the title I expect I'll need drugs to enjoyed.  Alas the only thing I have is a glass of wine and some panadol, and that's not doing the job.  3/5

Well, all up, it's not a terrible album, though looking at my track ratings, I find it hard to say it's a great one at all.  Certainly has it's moments and there's a few tracks I will regularly listen to, but largely I found the album a little generic and repetitive.

It should be noted I do prefer their later work.

Looking forward to the next album of the week!

It's yours isn't it?
Don't mow your lawn
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Hellboy - nice detailed run through the tracks, and while I didn't take notes, I am definitely in agreement on most of your thoughts.

@ Petey (and future participants) It might be nice for you to add YOUR track by track notes so we get a feel for why this made the cut for you. But maybe closer to the end of the week, so it doesn't influence anyone?  Or maybe those notes would enhance the experience?  Not sure... anybody else?
Ki77aan :twisted:
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Even though I was ignored and passed over to join this group, I will still put in my comments and crash this party!

Week 1 - Like it (+)

Professor of Lesbian Science
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

basejumper said
Even though I was ignored and passed over to join this group, I will still put in my comments and crash this party!

You just don't give up do you.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

gamebounty said

basejumper said

You just don't give up do you.

Persistence sometimes pays off.... you noticed my comment so not all is lost!

Professor of Lesbian Science
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Finally got around to listening to this.  Wasn't bad but also didn't completely knock my socks off on 1st listen.  Like others have pointed out, some parts made me think of Kyuss, some parts didn't do much for me, while other parts were pretty good.  Will give this another listen at some point and will check out some of their other stuff.  Overall though, it'll get a thumbs up from me.

Oh, and as a former trumpet player, enjoyed that part most assuredly.
I like to poop naked.
void
Fanboi

Post by void »

I have listened to one of this band's other albums and they're a good band who write some groovy songs. Problem is, they take no risks and just kind of do the same thing over and over a lot. It doesn't really move me on any emotional level but it's good tunes.

Not that it was asked for, but those interested in other "stoner" or recent heavy rock bands/albums in a similar style, that I think do a little more, I'd personally recommend the following...

(Artist name first, album name is quotations) First three came out in 2012.

-Pallbearer "Sorrow and Extinction" (traditional doom metal with great vocal melodies - no screaming, down-tuned, very heavy)

-Samothrace "Reverence to Stone" (Heavy post-rock with beautiful guitar passages mixed with screaming vocals, super long songs)

-Witchcraft "Legend" (straight ahead 70's style energetic rock)

-Unida "Coping With The Urban Coyote" (John Garcia - singer of Kyuss fronted. Older, but classic. They just reformed.)
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Upon listen #2 I really dug this.  Not too bad at all.  Thanks for posting it petey.
I like to poop naked.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

markuspoop said
Upon listen #2 I really dug this.  Not too bad at all.  Thanks for posting it petey.

no probs... definitely check out their more recent stuff too... Mania and Phi are probably better overall than the one I posted
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining