Album of the Week - LARD: Pure Chewing Satisfaction

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

This week's winner is LARD - Pure Chewing Satisfaction.  For your convenience I have created a Youtube playlist containing all 8 tracks from the album.

For those that don't know, LARD are essentially Ministry + Jello Biafra, and sounds pretty much how you'd expect this combination to.  

Listen and enjoy, and I look forward to your comments and thoughts on this album.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Will do mate. In case it hasn't been delightfully obvious, I'm kind of a ghost here now that my degree has started - but I'll be throwing this on while I nail away at what looks to be one of the most frustrating essays I've ever done. Ever. Hopefully this stuff will give me some inspiration.

Thanks for going something that I doubt many of us have heard, too. It's made me think pretty hard about my selection - but by fuck, I have seven weeks to keep thinking.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

i still have this cd somewhere at my home...

good album, anyway
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Nothing bad to say about this.  The style, which is basically punk/thrash-lite has never worked for me.  That being said, the production and quality is obvious.  Nice pick HB.
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

It's a great album. Good choice.

I bought it when it first hit the stores back in '97 (when so many of you here were so young).

Got a free poster with it too. Yay!

Gave the poster away. Boo!

Probably the best Lard album.
AtTheBottom
Maynard Believer

Post by AtTheBottom »

Very cool band, never listened to this album, I was into the earlier stuff. These guys were part of the ministry/revco/low pop suicide era. Cool stuff at the time indeed! I do still enjoy these guys and this album is pretty consistent with their earlier work. Jello Biafra is a completely interesting choice  for the vocals. it was truly a shame when we lost Jeff Ward... carry on, we'll done, and great choice...brings me back.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Lard: I heard a few songs from them back in the day. Didn't get too much into them though. They had a song on the Natural Born Killers soundtrack... Forkboy.

They are not bad. 6.4

Professor of Lesbian Science
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Took a couple listens to appreciate. Good stuff.
SteveBobSteve
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

is that jello singing?

go taff!
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Upon first listen it didn't really do much for me and the vocals reminded me of Tripping Daisy for some reason.  Will give it another go later and see if anything changes.
I like to poop naked.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

um, well, it's Ministry and Jello and I don't really have anything bad to say about it... grew up with this shit so it really just makes me feel old, if anything
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Good stuff.  I enjoy Jello's vocals and the songs take me back to my industrial days.  A good listen on a Saturday morning as we sip our coffee and peruse the interwebs.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

LARD I find slightly aromatic though I didn't expect much to start.  LARD is ample to the ear but not overly full.  I found LARD to be a tad under-fleshy for my taste but will do in a pinch.  LARD, while tasty, is not too balanced, either, which is a good thing because LARD does get a bit nutty at times.  

Decent swill for the middle-class working man or woman.

6.1/10
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
budsyralli
Fornicraster

Post by budsyralli »

i liked it
go taff!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Finally got to hear this today, it definitely sounds exactly like who is in it.  Unfortunately, for me, it only brought out what I dislike most about both artists:  Ministry's tendency to be very samey sounding on every track and Jello's vocals are just not my thing/borderline annoying to me.

Having said that I don't necessarily think it sucks, but if I had heard it at a party or something like that I'd probably have forgotten about it pretty quickly afterwards.

"Generation Execute" and "Mangoat" were the two exceptions for me.  I really liked both those songs.

I'll give it a 5/10

I'm really liking this album of the week thing so far, I heard two albums that I probably never even would've known existed otherwise.

Hey! Denty!
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

I finally had a chance to listen last night.  Not bad.  Guy's voice reminded me of David Koechner.  I would have liked some better drumming but that probably would have detracted from the raw sound.  All in all it was good enough to listen to again.  I'd say 7 out of 10 stars.
budsyralli
Fornicraster

Post by budsyralli »

7/10 for sure

go taff!
bill462
Bronco's Fan

Post by bill462 »

So somebody played Holiday in Cambodia on the jukebox at happy hour today.  Long time no hear.  Like 5 years probably.  I had bought the Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death cassette back in 1988 and I still have it of course(hoarder).  I was no expert on them though.  Then I happen to pop in to this thread today and I'm like, this dude sounds familiar.  People change but their voice doesn't.  Good shit, I like it.   
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Re: Album of the Week - LARD: Pure Chewing Satisfaction

Post by Kittaan »

Placeholder - I missed reviewing this one, although I remember listening to it.

Edit: Went back and listened again. Definitely remember this, and I'd heard at least a few tracks from Lard previously. Jello's voice is hit or miss with me, I just have to be in the mood I guess.

The second half of the album is much better IMO. Starting with Faith Hope and Treachery.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Re: Album of the Week - LARD: Pure Chewing Satisfaction

Post by Calfium Jay »

One of my favourite Ministry side projects (certainly trumps the highly over-rated, disco metal Revolting Cocks) and probably my favourite release in Lard's short but impressive career resume. It's been years and years since I last listened to this so I had to do so again to "remember" so to speak, and once I did I wasn't disappointed in the least.

Highlights are the opening track, War Pimp Renaissance, with it's speed metal delivery and chanted chorus, the neo-psychedelic spiralling guitar workouts of Moth, the lyrical insanity and absurdity of Generation Execute and Mangoat and closing track, Sidewinder with its Morricone trappings and campfire sing-a-long feel.

The booklet the cd comes with is also a hoot.

My only complaint is that at only eight tracks long, it's over before it really begins so to speak. But seeing as this is Lard's "leanest" recording with much of the fat that weighed down The Last Temptation Of Reid now trimmed off (HA!!! Geddit?! Lard. Fat. Trimmed??.......oh don't be such a stick in the mud) perhaps that's something of a good thing.

Al Jourgenson - remember when you were "good"?!? Hmmmm.

7.8 / 10
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris