AOTW - H2H Week 3 - Christbait - Dirtypunkmutha

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

AOTW - H2H Week 3 - Christbait - Dirtypunkmutha

Post by hellboy »

For my selection for the Album of the Week, I'm going to forgo grindcore (though I was tempted) and instead introduce you to one of the pioneers of Sludge Metal all the way from sunny Melbourne. Christbait formed many years ago, and around '96 they released this slab of sludgy, stoney and occasionally jazz influenced metal. In my opinion one of the best sludge metal, and certainly best Aussie albums every released.

Educate yourselves at the link below:

BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Re: AOTW 3: Christbait - Dirtypunkmutha

Post by BlackHole83 »

Hell yeah man, my first "mate" i made when I first came ashore in oz let me borrow their yeast album. I dug the shit out of it but I didn't have a CPU at the time to rip the cd. I've listened to more of their stuff on YouTube but I'd like to own all albums. I had never heard of them when I was in the states but I wish I had. Very sludgy, makes me want to smoke a doob. Good pick
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Re: AOTW - H2H Week 3 - Christbait - Dirtypunkmutha

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy wrote:...sunny Melbourne..

You bastard, you take that back right now!!!!
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Good and bad with this album as well... did not care for the singer but thought the music was ok for the most part. Album was average, middle of the road.
Professor of Lesbian Science
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

basejumper wrote:Good and bad with this album as well... did not care for the singer but thought the music was ok for the most part. Album was average, middle of the road.
Did you listen to the whole thing? The stats on Soundcloud show no one actually has except for the first 2 tracks.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Yes I listened to the whole thing.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

I just looked and there are multiple tracks that have been listened to 3 times and one 6 times. Only 1 person(me) has gone through the last few tracks.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

That's interesting, because it showed one after I listened to the whole thing last night. I guess the stats are wrong...

On that note, I would suggest people should persist - the second half of the album is better than the first in my opinion.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

The vocals are pretty annoying at times. He's not singing he's screaming. The music gets a tad repetitive at times.

However, when it isn't it is generally pretty good stuff. More than a couple of songs made me think "this is pretty cool". Some of the music made me completely forget the vocalist was there. Not too shabby. This is a tough one for me to grade because I hate the "singer" but he's easily lost in the mostly good music.

The title track, God, and Tractor Pull stand out.
6.5/10

(In my scale 6 is "good" and 7 is "very good", so that seems like a fair score)
Hey! Denty!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Still trying to get through it. Not a good sign. I'll keep going when I get a chance. Can't listen to this kind of shit with the fam around.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Took me a long time to get back to this, but I'm glad I did. Listened through twice now because it didn't get my full attention the first time.

There are a lot of things about this album I like musically ("God" is a great track for example). The writing is fairly dynamic with interesting arrangements and decent musicianship. My major complaint about other sludge is how boring it gets. After a couple of songs, it's like being hit over the head with a distorted sledge hammer. This broke that mold for me.

Some of the vocals were integrated well, and some not (at least they were amusing themselves), but overall I dug it.

Much better than I initially thought it was going to be. My favorite of the two between Hellboy and RP.

But it looks like this H2H version of AOTW has died as well, huh? Oh well...
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Kittaan wrote:
But it looks like this H2H version of AOTW has died as well, huh? Oh well...
Yeah, don't bother me to be honest. I don't mind the H2H version, but I'm happy with people just posting decent albums every week or so when they feel they're due for a turn...