August 2014 Musical Review

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

August 2014 Musical Review

Post by hellboy »

Back again for August (and partially July). I have no July play list, mostly because I didn't have a PC for most of it. Here goes:

Aphrodite's Child - 666 70s(?) Prog rock album I got on a What.cd freeleech. Not bad. 7/10

Dog Fashion Disco - Sweet Nothings Apparently this is a reunion album that was kickstarted or some shit. Probably about as good as any of their other albums ie. good but not amazing. 6/10

Goat - Commune I have no recollection of ever listening or downloading this. Will add to my September playlist.

Graves At Sea/Sourvein Split Sludge/Stoner metal/rock bands both of em. Was ok, needs further listening. 6/10

Midnight - No Mercy For Mayhem Modern thrash type stuff.Not sure of the history of this band but I suspect they might be old. 5/10

Monarch - Sabbracadaver Doomy droney stuff. I didn't find it especially interesting but you may if you have an interest in the genre. 4/10

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - 13 Above The Night Another freeleech pickup. I'm aware of this band but never listened to an album of theirs before (I think they may have been on The Crow soundtrack or something?). Maybe this isn't their best, but I see no need to investigate further. 4/10

Origin - Omnipresent Tech Death masters with one of the best drummers going around. Sadly that doesn't translate to anything amazing, but this album was better than their last one. 6/10

Judas Priest - Redeemer of Souls I expected the worst, and for the first half I got it. The second half wasn't too shabby though. 6/10

Secret Band - Secret Band Post-punk mathcore-y type stuff. Well done and quite listenable, but doesn't really bring anything to the genre. 7/10

Sleaford Mods - Divide and Exit Not sure what to make of this band (they're a British punk type band with some dude rambling lyrics over the top). I dug parts of it, and musically it's good but other parts left me scratching my head. Vocals get a bit tiresome at times, an acquired taste I expect. 7/10

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead Decided grabbing this would be a better idea than downloading the new Morrissey album. It wasn't bad, but not as interesting as I was expecting. 6/10

United Nations - The Next Four Years More post-punk mathcore-y stuff, though this one leans more towards power violence. Enjoyed it, but not really crusty enough for my liking. 6/10

'Weird Al' Yankovic - Mandatory Fun I think you guys all know what Wierd Al is about. I found tracks on this album pretty catchy for the most part, which should be no surprise considering the source material I guess. 7/10

Wolvhammer - Clawing Into Black Sun Shitty black metal. 3/10

Demdike Stare - Testpressing#006 Experimental electronic outfit that keep on delivering. Only two tracks but both are great. 8/10

Various Artists - Dallas Buyers Club (Music From And Inspired By The Motion Picture) I remember the music in the movie being better than this. 4/10

Coffin Birth - Necrotic Liquefaction Brisbane(?) grind outfit. As good as any grind album I've heard this year, which is surprisingly few sadly. 8/10

Nachtmystium - The World We Left Behind More black metal, not quite a shitty this time. Not great either. 5/10

Red Kunz - Teeth, Hair & Skin EP I think this is somde Red Fang side-project with some other dudes I've never heard of. Fuzzy stoner rock (as to be expected) but with a bit more of a psych and math-rock slant. Deserves a few more listens. 7/10

Shihad - FVEY I imagine Califum hates this band, but I thought the General Electric was a decent album. This one doesn't really touch it though. 6/10

Columns - Please Explode Deathgrind from North Carolina. Pretty good actually. Need to listen to this more. 8/10

Yob - Clearing The Path To Ascend Already reviewed this elsewhere. 8/10

Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden Only listened to this once, so consider this a very premature review and the score could go either way. Musically sounds good, vocalist rubs me the wrong way. 7/10

'68 - In Humour And Sadness Pete loves this band, but I don't hear anything special about them, aside from a 90s recording aesthetic. 6/10

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power & Far Beyond Driven I've never been a Pantera fan as many of you know, and haven't listened to these in some time. There's nothing here to really convert me, but both have some solid moments. 6/10

Blood God - Blood Is My Trademark Sounds like a 80s thrash throwback band, but with an AC/DC guitar sound. Bizzarely comes with a second set of all tracks with alternate, and slightly more death metal sounding vocals. Not sure what's up with that, but it doesn't save the album. 4/10

Ty Segall - Manipulator This guy isn't bad, though his songs get a bit samey. I like his voice and the way he goes about it though. Fuzzy indie rock, but not as fuzzy as his Fuzz side project. 7/10

Opeth - Pale Communion As pointed out in the Opeth thread, I have expectations of this being another shitty Opeth album. Instead it sounds more like 70s prog, which surprisingly works for me. 8/10

Code Orange - I Am King I think these guys used to be called Code Orange Kids. They're no longer kids any more, and sound like the kind of punk you expect from Converge and such. I like Converge so I like this album. 8/10

Sadly most albums this month haven't had the time devoted to them they should, so the ratings are all subject to change, etc. I've got a number I have in the list but have no memory of, so will try and review them a little better next month. They include DJ Shadow's EP, Trans Am, This Will Destroy You, Karma to Burn, Interpol, Earth, The War On Drugs, Belphegor, He Is Legend and Eyvind Kang Book of Angels vol. 21
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Re: August 2014 Musical Review

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I'm really digging Foundations of Burden. I get the complaint about the vocals, but I think they're used really well. If they were more prominent I'd probably find them really annoying, but as they are I find it pretty easy to overlook them. I do like the texture they add to the music though.

I'd have to listen to it a few more times before giving it a set score, but I'd say it's around 8/10.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Pale Communion would get a 6/10.

Clearing the Path to Ascend needs some more listens before I can even think of giving it a score.
Don't mow your lawn
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

United Nations is decent for what it is, but nothing truly memorable ... one I liked on first listen and less and less so upon repeated listens. (7/10)

'68 is my baby this year ... it's the album that just feels most honest in delivery so far as production/presentation/emotion this year. Considering it's two people (barring some obvious electro-tweeks on record), the amount of noise they make is commendable ... all reports are that the live shows aren't too shabby either. (9/10)

Yob is fucking God-tier music ... that is all (9/10)

Sampled Interpol, as I always do for some reason cuz I have an old mate who'se flogged them since day one, hoping they'll do something groundbreaking and I'll see the light ... nope, same-y same from them, catchy and uncompelling ... 5/10

Opeth: meh, seems like I've heard it before, a bunch of times ... don't much care for anything they've done and this doesn't change a thing. Musically, they've got chops and it's mostly well done so on that merit alone I'll give it props. (7/10)

Code Orange: Haven't listened as yet ... mate that digs all this shit is on their nuts, but calls tool same-y, hates Nirvana, and told me recently that both Yob and Meshuggah are boring, so I'm hesitant to even bother ... TBD

admittedly, haven't listened to much new shit apart from Yob since I got it, so there's a bunch there I'll likely never even get to. TWDY andEarth are definitely on the list though.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy wrote:
My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - 13 Above The Night Another freeleech pickup. I'm aware of this band but never listened to an album of theirs before (I think they may have been on The Crow soundtrack or something?). Maybe this isn't their best, but I see no need to investigate further. 4/10

Yeah...they're god awful.

Demdike Stare - Testpressing#006 Experimental electronic outfit that keep on delivering. Only two tracks but both are great. 8/10

Yeah.....need to listen to them more.

Shihad - FVEY I imagine Califum hates this band

Yeah. Just yeah.

:|
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

So I'd say Pallbearer sits firmly at an 8. It's good but lacks that extra something that would make it great.

Yob is probably a 9.
Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:So I'd say Pallbearer sits firmly at an 8. It's good but lacks that extra something that would make it great.

Yob is probably a 9.
Good boy.

I'm starting to worry, though, that everyone is kind of just jumping on the bandwagon with YOB, as they've been hyped for quite a while now. I'm not just talking about this forum, mind you.

In all honesty, I'd say their latest is a tad below "ATMA" and "THE GREAT CESSATION" for me. Still 9/10, but man do those other two hit the spot for me.

Regardless, I get the sense that they're FINALLY getting the recognition they deserve.

Now if we can only get the same reaction for UFOMAMMUT (no, I didn't just sneeze and chunder at the same time whilst typing that name).
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

The Boss wrote:
UndKeineZwEier wrote:So I'd say Pallbearer sits firmly at an 8. It's good but lacks that extra something that would make it great.

Yob is probably a 9.
Good boy.

I'm starting to worry, though, that everyone is kind of just jumping on the bandwagon with YOB, as they've been hyped for quite a while now. I'm not just talking about this forum, mind you.
I find it enjoyable, while I find the new YOB album boring I still feel the new Karnivool album amazing, plebs gunna pleb I guess.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy wrote:vocalist rubs me the wrong way.
too much loose, left-handed grip and refuses to cup your balls?
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

The Boss wrote:I'm starting to worry, though, that everyone is kind of just jumping on the bandwagon with YOB
get over it, pumpkin ... I in no way dislike the other albums from them you mention, they just didn't/still don't resonate with me the way this one seems to ... right time and place for this record, mostly, as is the case with most records I adore ... plus the vocal performance buries their past offerings in quality and transparent emotional value.

You should be happy they're finally getting their due, as you stated ... and later on, you can go ultra-hipster and remind everyone that you found them first
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

petemasterpete wrote:
The Boss wrote:I'm starting to worry, though, that everyone is kind of just jumping on the bandwagon with YOB
get over it, pumpkin ... I in no way dislike the other albums from them you mention, they just didn't/still don't resonate with me the way this one seems to ... right time and place for this record, mostly, as is the case with most records I adore ... plus the vocal performance buries their past offerings in quality and transparent emotional value.

You should be happy they're finally getting their due, as you stated ... and later on, you can go ultra-hipster and remind everyone that you found them first
Ha ha, it's not like that at all - I'm just a bit concerned that they've been hyped for quite a while, and only now are people starting to get it.

No big deal - better late than never. I'm so late getting a clue with some bands that it's fucking embarrassing.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

The Boss wrote:I'm so late getting a clue with some bands that it's fucking embarrassing.
*ahem* Failure, for instance

anyway, listened through Code Orange ... second time through now and it's decent enough ... it's not groundbreaking or anything, but they do a good job mixing genres along the way. They'd be really good with an actual vocalist, I think. The clean parts sung by the chick are pretty well done ... not a huge fan of where the vox sit in the mix all the time either. I'll certainly listen to it some more, but can't see it cracking regular rotation on a long-term basis. Time will tell ... initial assessment, 7/10
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Listened to Tricky ... nothing to write home about and nothing compelling me to listen again ... average record, maybe 5 or 6/10
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

petemasterpete wrote:Listened to Tricky ... nothing to write home about and nothing compelling me to listen again ... average record, maybe 5 or 6/10
Same
Professor of Lesbian Science
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Taste and opinion in action.

I hope you beautiful bros find something you like to listen to immediately to make up for the disappointment.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

The Boss wrote:Taste and opinion in action.

I hope you beautiful bros find something you like to listen to immediately to make up for the disappointment.
it took me a whole 4 minutes to brush my self off and forge ahead

*refer to next post in bandcamp thread*
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Demdike Stare ... listened over the weekend, both 005 and 006

time I'll never get back ... won't listen again ... wanted to shut it off a minute or so into each track, but wanted to give it a fair shot ... it goes nowhere

not even scoring this
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

petemasterpete wrote:Demdike Stare ... listened over the weekend, both 005 and 006

time I'll never get back ... won't listen again ... wanted to shut it off a minute or so into each track, but wanted to give it a fair shot ... it goes nowhere

not even scoring this
Fair enough. I don't agree though. To be fair to Demdike Stare, they are an audio visual act for the most part, I have no doubt if you saw them live you'd change your view. Still, I think their music stands up on it's own quite well.