Star Wars Hype Train (SPOILERS - Beware!!!)

Movies, TV and other video based media
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Re: Star Wars Hype Train (SPOILERS - Beware!!!)

Post by limeygringo »

hellboy wrote:
limeygringo wrote:It's kind of funny seeing a lot of the people who were excited about George becoming disassociated from the franchise now wishing it was back in his hands
I'm not sure I've seen anyone say this. For all it's flaws, TLJ is still better than the prequels.
I'm talking about the general consensus more than any group of people. There's a lot of overlap, but it's there if you view enough social media/forums/etc
Ahhh, Infotainment!
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy wrote: For all it's flaws, TLJ is still better than the prequels.

Only......just.

:|
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

The Audience Strikes Back: 'Last Jedi's 77% Fri.-To-Fri. Plunge Is Worst Ever For A Star Wars.

Box Office: 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Plunges 77%

Down 77 percent from its opening day last Friday, the picture continues to distinguish itself as the worst holding film in the Star Wars franchise's entire nine-film history.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/20 ... -wars-pic/
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Worst ever maybe, still a massive financial success.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

Finally went to see the film (as I have mentioned previously I don't do crowds)

I generally enjoyed it as I was sitting there, the effects and soundtrack were good. I thought the over use of humour was pretty crappy and the plot and sub-plot pretty thin...

On reflection when I got home and had a few beers I genuinely think Disney have fucked it. I thought they made a poor choice in how they portrayed Luke, did not do anywhere near enough explaining of Snoke (even if he miraculously re-appears in the next) otherwise they made him look like an idiot. Rey is too powerful without any real explanation (other than Kathleen Kennedy and girl power) especially given that from the beginning of TFA to TLJ is a very short period of time. Leia's space flying etc was shit. Rose and Finn's side plot was a waste of time and actually ended up getting more of the resistance killed, but at least they saved a few animals.

It really annoys me that they have gone in this direction. A good example is in A New Hope Grand Moff Tarkin was NOT constantly telling jokes and made to look like a fool, he was a bad-ass character and it served to give the character and film depth. Compare this with General Hux, he is constantly made to look like a fuckwit, but we are supposed to believe that he is charge of this massive army and is a serious bad guy, it just doesn't work... The humour in TLJ was fucking terrible, it needs to be used sparingly and at the right moments and from the right people to have any impact.

I am not very hopeful of Disney doing Star Wars well, while Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson are in charge....
Be good to each other.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

► Show Spoiler
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

"Rich people are, like, ROOOOOLLY BAAAAAD!!!"

:lol:
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

You took Star Wars politics seriously?

:lol:
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

The fact that they have to sneak in cheap, left wing political point scoring into the Star Wars universe is the real joke here.

The Last Jedi has been turned into a SJW hug fest by idiot Disney execs.

[youtube][/youtube]

Yep. Pretty much.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Are you acting like this is a new thing? All SW movies are pretty left leaning imo.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

In what way?

The original trilogy was rooted in mythology (Shakespearean, Greek, Oriental) and had so much more for audiences to grasp on to than petty, puerile identity and race politics like these new ones. They've kicked the old Star Wars aside for something more "up to date" with the prevailing social norms heaped upon the general public by leftist media outlets - just so as to be seen to be "doing the right thing by society".

And it pretty much stinks.

If the people behind (the new) Star Wars just concentrated on what made Star Wars so great in the first place (epic concepts of heroism, love and romance, the concepts of good vs evil, a belief in something greater than yourself etc) rather than ticking boxes to suit a pre conceived social agenda - we might have ended up with a film that was at least somewhat entertaining on SOME level and not a dull, preachy and one dimensional snooze fest.

For example - who is Rey? Who is she really? Beats me. She has almost no character arc, she just came from literally NOWHERE and then excels at everything she touches because - hey, feminism and all that. After almost no time at all she's kickin' ass and wielding the force like a new found gadget. You go girl! There's no emotional weight, no journey to follow her on, nothing to reveal about her. And all the while all the men around her bumble and stumble and whine and moan and generally cock things up.

But y'know, she's what the modern day keyboard warriors want, right?

And she's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what's wrong with this new fangled shit.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I don't disagree there are many problems with the new movies. I think your political problems with it are really clutching at straws, and just looking for ways to get offended.

Enjoy Star Wars from the dumb action movie it is, and stop over thinking it.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

If it was just a dumb action movie in the first place - do you really think it EVER would have had the cultural impact that it did.

You're asking folks not to question things and just ride the roller coaster ride. Perhaps that's the problem.

No denying this new trilogy has been hijacked by political correctness in favor of a good story.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote:If it was just a dumb action movie in the first place - do you really think it EVER would have had the cultural impact that it did.
Yeah, sure

I think people should be questioning what's wrong with Star Wars, not making it out to be a metaphor for everything else they perceive as wrong in the world.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

I am definitely with Cal on this one, Star Wars is much more than a dumb action movie to me.
Calfium Jay wrote:what made Star Wars so great in the first place (epic concepts of heroism, love and romance, the concepts of good vs evil, a belief in something greater than yourself etc)
Kathleen Kennedy is a hard out feminist (which she is entitled to be), but that she feels the need to corrupt Star Wars to push her agenda is what annoys me. Whether you choose to be PC or not that disgraceful mess of a movie was pushing SJW themes left, right and center at the expense of the movie.

The effects etc in this film were great and while I was watching it I enjoyed it, if it were a stand alone film I would have enjoyed it. However, the manner in which this film has bastardised the greater Star Wars Universe, and fucked characters like Luke is shit. This film leaves us with no real hooks for the next movie, just nothing. As Cal pointed out Rey is overly powerful (Mary Sue) without a decent explanation (again this is important to people who are into the greater Star Wars Universe). All of the male characters are made to constantly look like chumps, especially Hux, how do you build tension when the antagonists are inept fuckwits and the protagonist is a super powerful Jedi warrior with zero training. The first trilogy was awesome because the main antagonist(s) were genuinely powerful bad guys and the heroes had to overcome a lot to get to the point where they could defeat them. Rey defeated Kylo in TFA (despite the disparity in experience) and then a couple days later she is able to best Luke Skywalker. It is shitty, lazy, SJW centric writing and it cheapens all of Star Wars....

https://www.dangerous.com/39863/meet-wo ... star-wars/
Be good to each other.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

PimPle wrote: Kathleen Kennedy is a hard out feminist (which she is entitled to be)

Nothing wrong with a little cryptic social commentary - but no need to make it so FREAKIN' obvious and in yr face that the audience feels like they're being backed up against the wall with a clenched fist in their collective faces.

This film leaves us with no real hooks for the next movie, just nothing. As Cal pointed out Rey is overly powerful (Mary Sue) without a decent explanation

Yep. No transition period at all - she just seems to "get" it all of a sudden and within the space of a few screen minutes she's more or less running the show, while the male characters stand around either scratching their heads or looking all emo and angsty.

All of the male characters are made to constantly look like chumps, especially Hux, how do you build tension when the antagonists are inept fuckwits and the protagonist is a super powerful Jedi warrior with zero training.
I'm glad somebody else had an issue with the way Hux was portrayed as it stuck in my throat from the get go. How are we supposed to take this threat seriously if every time the guy who's in charge of the New Order is relegated to mere slapstick? It just doesn't work and messes with the tone of the film - which is, incidentally, all over the damn place. Serious moments suddenly undercut by pathetic stabs at humor and cute one liners? Please.

Also we found out absolutely NOTHING about either Snoke or Phasma. Both are just treated like inconvenient plot points. Yet they were initially big selling points when the new trilogy kicked off.

And whoever wrote the dialogue for this whole schmozzle should be kicked in the nuts - if indeed they have nuts to kick.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I agree with all of those criticisms. I just don't feel the need to tie them to some kind of social commentry, just lazy storywriting.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Looks like someone made a version just for you guys:

https://www.pedestrian.tv/entertainment ... dit-women/
If you’re wondering what sort of stuff was cut, here are some examples:

“Cut out most shots showing female fighters/pilots and female officers commanding people around/having ideas.“
“NO HALDO (sic)! She simply doesn’t exist. Her whole subplot doesn’t exist. The Kamikaze is carried out by Poe. ( = Poe dies.)“
“Leia never scolds, questions nor demotes Poe. He is a respected and very skilled high-ranking member of the resistance.“
“When there’s a scene where a woman is cut in making some important statement that can be substituted by another statement by a guy, then she gets cut out. Works pretty well actually.“
“Wookie eats the Porg, or at least isn’t interrupted in trying to do so.“
“No green milk.” (What the fuck)
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT9DPJVjl ... /giphy.gif
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Now where's that Han Solo trailer?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

All signs point to Han Solo being a bit of a train wreck, so I think they might want to let the controversy about the Last Jedi die down a bit before pushing this to the fan base.

Which is a bit strange, since I think the release date is still May, so I'd have expected more promo by now. I suspect that it's a long way from being good enough, and that it'll be delayed.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

hellboy wrote:All signs point to Han Solo being a bit of a train wreck, so I think they might want to let the controversy about the Last Jedi die down a bit before pushing this to the fan base.

Which is a bit strange, since I think the release date is still May, so I'd have expected more promo by now. I suspect that it's a long way from being good enough, and that it'll be delayed.
A delay at this point would be a bad sign indeed. Here's hoping they can put something fun together.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Sounds like the Solo trailer is coming tomorrow
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

That actually looks a lot more interesting than any of my initial expectations had for it. Fingers crossed.
Listen to All Them Witches
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.