Movie/TV News

Movies, TV and other video based media
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Tyson said
All this talk about Thor and not one, not even one slight mention of these?

You're all a bunch of fucking faggots

or her....

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Kittaan said 
How do you land on the Marvel vs DC thing, solely in terms of recent movie offerings?  There have been some hits and misses on both sides.  I'm typically in the Marvel camp, but I'm keeping an open mind.

I wouldn't say I'm in either camp really - they're all just comics to me.  Though I guess if it weren't for Nolan saving Batman, I'd say most of the DC movies have been pretty underwhelming.  Marvel has had it's fair share of misses as well though.  Captain American was shitful.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy1975 said

Kittaan said 
How do you land on the Marvel vs DC thing, solely in terms of recent movie offerings?  There have been some hits and misses on both sides.  I'm typically in the Marvel camp, but I'm keeping an open mind.

I wouldn't say I'm in either camp really - they're all just comics to me.  Though I guess if it weren't for Nolan saving Batman, I'd say most of the DC movies have been pretty underwhelming.  Marvel has had it's fair share of misses as well though.  Captain American was shitful.

Beyond the jingoism, which was fully intentional, I didn't think Cap was all that bad.  Definitely not great.  The one thing I would like to see is some tie-ins on the DC side.  As it is, with the reboots of Batman and Superman, I just don't see that happening.  No spoilers for anyone that hasn't yet seen Man of Steel, but yeah, that's gonna be tough.

A quick Google search comes up with a whole lot of speculation.  I'd like to see it happen.

http://screenrant.com/justice-league-mo ... d-s-goyer/
Ki77aan :twisted:
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Kittaan said
*Ahem*

Cloud Atlas, bitches?  Any thoughts.

Just re-watched some of Thor with my kid over the weekend.  He loved it.  I thought it was pretty good, and definitely agree with some of NYHCs points.  

I really liked it, but it did ask a little too much of me.

I watched "MR. NOBODY" last night, which was fucking amazing. It's a cross between "CLOUD ATLAS" and "THE FOUNTAIN". It's hard to describe, but it's great and really well done.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Crow - Tried to put that in my Netflix queue, but it's not available.  2009 film, weird.  I'll look for it elsewhere, thanks for the rec.

By the way, as a Jeff Buckley fan, I'm assuming you'll be as horrified about this as I am... still going to have to watch it, but not really looking forward to it.

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

my friends went to see the midnight showing of "World War Z", I got a thumbs up all around. should be a lot of fun.

doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

All this talk about Thor and not one, not even one slight mention of these?

You're all a bunch of fucking faggots

Ewww..I see moles everywhere and looks like a cheap tart.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not familiar with cheap tarts, are you?

THEY'RE THE BEST.
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

NYHCster said
my friends went to see the midnight showing of "World War Z", I got a thumbs up all around. should be a lot of fun.

sweet, seeing an early afternoon screening tomorrow. Not doing the 3D thing this time round though, bit over that at the moment. Caught the new star trek at the IMAX and felt like I was going to vom near the end. Good movie, fucking amazing effects that worked well in 3D, brain just didn't seem to agree after 2 hours. 
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

"WORLD WAR Z" was terrific. Just loads of fun. I loved it.
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

^agreed, was a fun movie! Could have done with an 18 rating though just to give it a bit more shock factor, but overall solid 7/10
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

"The Purge" was okay, silly movie but there were a couple of "what the fuck!!" parts. all in all not too bad but not too great.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Saw "Silver Linings Playbook."  Thought it was okay.  Good but not super-duper-great or anything.  Parts of it seems really predictable.
I like to poop naked.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

markuspoop said
Saw "Silver Linings Playbook."  Thought it was okay.  Good but not super-duper-great or anything.  Parts of it seems really predictable.

I was about to order that movie with my sister in law but then I saw he played for the Eagles or something to that effect? can't do that with a clean conscience. go G-men.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

SLP is kind of a chick flick.  It was OK, I agree with Poop.  Not something to go out of your way to see.  Jennifer Lawrence is pretty hot.

Just got The Tree of Life in the mail.  I'll watch it this week.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Kittaan said
SLP is kind of a chick flick.  It was OK, I agree with Poop.  Not something to go out of your way to see.  Jennifer Lawrence is pretty hot.

Just got The Tree of Life in the mail.  I'll watch it this week.

the entire scene where the Earth comes to be is pretty over the top and grandiose but it's kinda beautiful.

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Why does everyone always mention that scene?

I wish it wasn't there sometimes, I've asked 3 different people about their opinions on the wonder of that film and all they can muster is muh dinosaaurs or even worse they dislike it simply because of theological reasons, as if they can't remove their own atheist beliefs to watch a thing of beauty and wonder

Such is the life of a patrician
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Tyson said
Why does everyone always mention that scene?

I wish it wasn't there sometimes, I've asked 3 different people about their opinions on the wonder of that film and all they can muster is muh dinosaaurs or even worse they dislike it simply because of theological reasons, as if they can't remove their own atheist beliefs to watch a thing of beauty and wonder

Such is the life of a patrician

I just watched it.  It was slow going in parts, but I realize that was by design - the director wasn't trying to tell a typical, linear story.  The cinematography and visual aspects of the film were quite good, as was the acting for the most part.  The kids were pretty remarkable.

I thought it suffered from being disjointed and extremely open to interpretation.  For example, you mention the theological implications, which may be what you got, but not what I got from it.  The main themes to me were the juxtaposition of mundane family life - one particular family's experience of the sweet and sour of life - and the big questions about life, the universe and everything; the human experience and life being what we make it.  And the inevitability of death.  

It asked many more questions than provided answers.  Just like life.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Sean Penn said he was in the movie and even he had no idea what it was about
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I wasn't saying that I interpreted it though the guise of theological reasoning, I was just saying that's what I have found people criticising it for.

As you said it can be interpreted in many different ways, like any great piece of art, the main theme I found running through the film was nature vs. nurture, the father representing nature and the mother nurture.

Where were you when I laid the earth's foundations . . . while the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Job 38: 4, 7
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Star Wars star Mark Hamill searches through a public ashtray for used cigarette butts... which he smokes in his luxury BMW

N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

book by Cormac McCarthy ("The Road" & "No Country For Old Men")

directed by Ridley Scott ("Alien", "Gladiator" & "American Gangster")

heavy hitters: Javier Barden, Michael Fassbender & Brad Pitt.

supporting cast: Bruno Ganz (played Hitler in "Downfall"), John Leguizamo & Penelope Cruz

shot, designed and edited by the gentlemen who created "Dark City", "JFK" and "Se7en"