Under The Dome Thread

Movies, TV and other video based media
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Under The Dome (2013 - ....)

TV Series / Horror / Sci-Fi / Mystery / Drama

Under the Dome  is an upcoming American science-fiction drama television series developed by Brian K. Vaughan based upon the novel of the same name by Stephen King. Both Vaughan and King will serve as executive producers along with Neal Baer, Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank and Stacey Snider. Baer will serve as day-to-day showrunner. Danishdirector Niels Arden Oplev will direct the pilot.

The premiere of Under the Dome is scheduled for Monday, June 24, 2013 at 10PM on CBS.

An invisible force field descends upon a small town in the northeastern part of the United States

Set in the not too distant future, Under the Dome tells the story of the residents of the small town of Chester's Mill, Maine who suddenly find themselves cut off from the rest of the world by a mysterious, impenetrable barrier that surrounds the town. As the town begins to tear itself apart through panic, a small group of people attempt to maintain peace and order while also trying to uncover the truth behind the barrier and how to escape from it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1553656/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Dome_(TV_series)

http://www.underthedome.com

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

I fucking hate Stephen King.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
SHbassGTR
Maynard Believer

Post by SHbassGTR »

I've read a lot of Stephen King and I'm not a huge fan but this book was really bad ass! All accept for the last 20 pages or so, then it just got stupid. I'm excited to see the TV adaptation though.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Haven't read this book, but sounds like the kind of thing I'd enjoy.  I'm presuming it's not a horror story as such, and works fine for me as I prefer King's non-horror work.

Not sure whether the read the book first or not though...
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

I like to poop naked.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

As always, the Simpsons were there first.
Ki77aan :twisted:
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

crow011 said
I fucking hate Stephen King.

we are not friends anymore.

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Kittaan said

Nah, I think King beat 'em to the punch here by like 2 decades.  And I'm sure there are other sci-fi stories that have the same basic premise.

I like to poop naked.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

SHbassGTR said
I've read a lot of Stephen King and I'm not a huge fan but this book was really bad ass! All accept for the last 20 pages or so, then it just got stupid. I'm excited to see the TV adaptation though.

You just described everything he's ever done.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

markuspoop said

Kittaan said

Nah, I think King beat 'em to the punch here by like 2 decades.  And I'm sure there are other sci-fi stories that have the same basic premise.

Why ruin this with facts and reality?

PS - where is that sarcasm font when you need it?  Don't look now, but nearly EVERYTHING on the Simpson's is a reference to something else that has come before... 
Ki77aan :twisted:
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

but nearly EVERYTHING on the Simpson's is a reference to something else that has come before…
hey, guys, have you ever seen the movie BioDome (1996) with Kylie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115683/

it's also about the fuckin dome, good comedy anyway

btw,

WonderCon: UNDER THE DOME Panel Recap Featuring Star Rachelle Lefevre and Creator Brian K. Vaughan

The cast and crew of Under the Dome, the latest in the seemingly endless slew of Stephen King adaptations, was on hand today to give fans a sneak peak at what the new CBS show has to offer. The story kicks off after the town of Chester’s Mill is inexplicably encased in an invisible and impenetrable dome. As an avid reader of King’s novels I have to admit that Under the Dome is not my favorite of his works, but the premise has great potential for episodic adaptation, particularly with “Y: The Last Man” and Lost scribe Brian K. Vaughan at the helm.

Under the Dome, which premieres June 24th on CBS, stars Rachelle Lefevre, Dean Norris, Mike Vogel, R. Keith Harris, and Britt Robertson. Hit the jump for highlights from the panel.

The panel kicked off with a brief preview of the show’s first episodes. While there wasn’t too much to see in the small amount of footage, it was clear that the show has a distinct visual style and a serious approach to the subject matter. We did see brief glimpses of a plane cut in half and the severed leg of a man, both bisected when the dome fell. 

Check out highlights from the rest of the presentation below:

- After the trailer, actors Lefevre, Norris, and Vaughan were joined by producers Neal Baer and Jack Bender to answer questions from both moderator and fans.
- Vaughan says that King has been very creatively generous, encouraging the writers to use the book as a jumping off point, taking the characters and plot in a new direction. He says that they took the best parts of the book and will take it unexpected places for fans of the book.
- The series is being produced by Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television and marks the first King/Spielberg collaboration.
- Bender says that they consider the show a character piece with science fiction elements rather than the other way around.
- Vaughan and Baer were drawn to the idea of commenting on real life issues like dealing with limited resources and the nature of democracy in the context of science fiction, which allowed them to broach heavy socioeconomic issues without being preachy or heavy handed.
- Norris began shooting Under the Dome almost immediately after wrapping on Breaking Bad and was attracted to the role because his character Big Jim, the main antagonist of the show, is so different from his character on Breaking Bad.
- Bender considers the season to be broken up into thirds, which he calls the “Three Fs”: faith to fear to fascism.
- The panel was emphatic that the show is not a mini-series and that they have plans for it to continue long term. Since it takes about 36 hours for civilization to fall apart in the novel they will be diverging significantly from the source material.
- Vaughan says they have taken a very scientific approach to the concept of the dome with the help of Scott Gold, but when he presented their research to King he said, “You know you just make shit up, too?” They are now trying to balance science and making shit up.
- King sat in on the writer’s room for a session and has been super hands on.
- In a very meta moment, Vaughan, who is mentioned in the novel is now producing and writing for the series.
- Norris says Big Jim enjoys being trapped in the dome because it allows him to do things he could never get away with before and find his power.
- Neither Lefevre nor Norris has read the book as their characters in the novel are not the same as they are on the show. King said that it wasn’t necessary for them to read it.
- Vaughan thinks that deep down most people want the apocalypse in a primal way so that we don’t have to deal with things like emails and taxes.
- The show will finish shooting in July; it will be thirteen episodes that air all in a row.
- Vaughan says you can count on references and Easter eggs to other Stephen King novels. Lefevre begged him that it not be Pennywise.
- They have a roadmap of how they want the series to end, but they also want to have enough flexibility to allow for multiple seasons. The ending will be different from the book.

- You like noisy music?
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

who the fuck is Britt Robertson? damn she's cute
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Set in the not too distant future

Is this like GTA 2 where it's set two weeks in the future.
Don't mow your lawn
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Debuts tonight. Initial reviews have been pretty positive. Anyone checking it out?
Don't mow your lawn
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

This looks fucking horrible and clashes with Good Game.

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Tyson said
This looks fucking horrible and clashes with Good Game.

People actually still watch TV live?  Aside from sport I can't remember the last time I watched a show that wasn't recorded or streamed.

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

And I even buy dvd's
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

The special preview of Pacific Rim they showed in the commercials was actually fairly interesting.
Don't mow your lawn
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

oh no

those poor people

gee won't someone help them

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Eh, I'm not big on Network T.V. and this didn't really do much to convince me otherwise.

I'll probably give it another shot on demand, since I only really watched half of the episode, but I don't really see myself any further.
Don't mow your lawn
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Re: Under The Dome Thread

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

this show has me by the balls. took about 7 episodes but I'm all in.