The Movie Thread

Movies, TV and other video based media
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

The Movie Thread

Post by BlackHole83 »

^ fair enough. It was just fine for what it was. It's hard for me to be over critical on a movie based on a comic book. I'll definitely buy it once it comes out on Blu Ray. It was a fun movie
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by The Boss »

BlackHole83 wrote:^ fair enough. It was just fine for what it was. It's hard for me to be over critical on a movie based on a comic book. I'll definitely buy it once it comes out on Blu Ray. It was a fun movie
I can accept that, too.

I could write a fucking essay on comic book movies, but I'll say this much: When they're good, they transcend the tropes and become equal to (and often more) than the source material. "THE CROW" springs to mind, as does "THE WALKING DEAD" TV series. (And if you haven't heard me say it before, I'll say it again: The TV series is so much more amazing than the books, it's a little worrying.)

"WATCHMEN" tried really hard, and I've made my peace with the film since I saw the director's cut. It's almost a different movie, with far more attention given to the source. I've heard plebs claim that the hype around the book is undeserved; but the fact that the movie tried so hard and still fell a little flat shows just how difficult it is to do a comic book movie right.

Then you have comic book movies that are based loosely on an agreed-upon canon or universe - your recent "BATMAN"s, for example. I found the trilogy to be a complete success and a monument to the power of comic book movies to convey a real, weighty story. I think we need to focus more on "THE DARK KNIGHT" kind of films, rather than origin stories. There's only so many times you can tell the same origin story before people get the shits.

In general, I find Marvel to be complete shit. They've always had extremely light, disposable books, and the movies reflect it. The fact that they had to get the righteous dude who did "FIREFLY" to make a passable Marvel movie should indicate how terrible their characters and stories are.

Vertigo is the money-shot. "CONSTANTINE" was excellent, if you weren't expecting "HELLBLAZER"; and yet it still stuck really well with an early story arc and the characters. The day we get a decent "LUCIFER" or "SANDMAN" movie/TV series is the day you'll see me weep with joy. Vertigo books are heavy as fuck, and I guess that's why so few movies have been made of them. That, and there's no real audience.

AND CAN WE PLEASE GET ANOTHER FUCKING "HELLBOY" MOVIE?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? FOR FUCK SAKE.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

The Boss wrote:The more I think about that movie, the less I think I liked it.

The humour was extremely forced, and the whole plot was pretty fucking stupid, even for a comic book movie.

I enjoyed it at the time, but I doubt I'd watch it again. I feel that way about pretty much all Marvel movies.

DC for life, bitches.

Yes. All of that.

Except for that last sentence.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Calfium Jay wrote:
The Boss wrote:The more I think about that movie, the less I think I liked it.

The humour was extremely forced, and the whole plot was pretty fucking stupid, even for a comic book movie.

I enjoyed it at the time, but I doubt I'd watch it again. I feel that way about pretty much all Marvel movies.

DC for life, bitches.

Yes. All of that.

Except for that last sentence.
Fair enough. There's yet to be a truly mind-blowing DC franchise, outside of "BATMAN".

Which saddens me as a comic book fan, as there's so much good shit to turn into visual spectaculars.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

I'm loving what Marvel are doing.

As to debating this, yeah nah. (People doing mental gymnastic to hate something they enjoyed because it's hugely successful :lol: :roll:)

Stop my invincible son
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:I'm loving what Marvel are doing.

As to debating this, yeah nah. (People doing mental gymnastic to hate something they enjoyed because it's hugely successful :lol: :roll:)

Stop my invincible son
Huh? I don't hate Marvel movies because they're successful. Why would anyone use that as a reference point for arguing?

I simply don't think there's much to them, much like their source material. It's a taste thing.

I won't criticise someone for like "THOR" or "THE HULK". I just think there's better that can be done.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I said I'm not debating this.

[youtube][/youtube]

>implying this isn't one of the most unintentionally hilarious scenes ever made

>I'm CIA
>Massketta Man
>You don't get to bring friends
>A lotta loyalty for a hired gun
>You're a big guy
>FOR YOU

Oh man, just the whole fucking thing :lol:
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Not Tyson wrote:I said I'm not debating this.

[youtube][/youtube]

>implying this isn't one of the most unintentionally hilarious scenes ever made

>I'm CIA
>Massketta Man
>You don't get to bring friends
>A lotta loyalty for a hired gun
>You're a big guy
>FOR YOU

Oh man, just the whole fucking thing :lol:
when they played the 15 minute opening scene as an IMAX trailer to some other movie I forget, 80% of the jam packed NYC theater stood up and applauded. even the young couple next to me from the Netherlands, that did not speak much English. the wife kept crossing and uncrossing her bare pale beautiful legs dotted with beauty marks during it as well. she was very excited to be there... as we sat back down, she then turned to me with her piercing eyes, that shined in the darkened theater and gently whispered with her coffee breath: "Batman, yes?" I said, "oh yeah, Batman, yes". to each his own!
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

It was a fine movie, but the weakest of the trilogy.

Not even sure how this is up for debate.

Compared to almost any Marvel film, it was solid gold.

But again, it comes down to what you want from a comic book movie. To each his own, but I certainly wouldn't dismiss anyone for loving anything from either side.

Again, I just find Marvel movies to be good for only popcorn enjoyment. There's really not much more to them.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Just as an aside, I'm talking about Marvel studios here.

Captain America 2 was fucking amazing.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:Just as an aside, I'm talking about Marvel studios here.

I haven't seen either of them. They're that good, huh?

I'll give them a go, no worries there, if you think they're worth it.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Not Tyson wrote:Just as an aside, I'm talking about Marvel studios here.

surprised the fuck out of you, right? me too. the scene on the overpass was insane. complete with mini-guns and MMA type hand to hand combat. awesome flick dude.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

People hate on the first one, I loved it.

The second was a legit government conspiracy just me against the world massive action movie.

Watching the first will give you an insight into Captain Mmmerica's character.

Not necessary but still.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

the Winter Soldier character was bass ass too. I like the little screeching sound effect when he shows up.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

All three Nolan Batman movies are better than any of the Marvel movies, though for me Iron Man 1, Thor 1 and the Edward Norton Hulk movie are not far off.

Captain America 1 was all kinds of shitty. I still haven't seen 2 yet, but it's on my list for sure, as despite the shittiness of the original, I thought he was one of the better characters in The Avengers.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

I came across this trailer for Seventh Son and in it they mention the Seventh Son of the Seventh Son and it brought me back to Iron Maiden and I thought that they for sure would be using it in the soundtrack but alas, no such luck. I did however go to reminisce and listen to that great concept* Maiden album. When I pulled it up on youtube a commercial came up first.... one for the movie Seventh Son!

*almost

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Professor of Lesbian Science
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Seventh Son never really did it for me. I've always thought Somewhere In Time is the better synth Maiden album.
Don't mow your lawn
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

The Boss wrote:There's yet to be a truly mind-blowing DC franchise, outside of "BATMAN".

If I still had my legs ...
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy wrote:All three Nolan Batman movies are better than any of the Marvel movies, though for me Iron Man 1, Thor 1 and the Edward Norton Hulk movie are not far off.

Captain America 1 was all kinds of shitty. I still haven't seen 2 yet, but it's on my list for sure, as despite the shittiness of the original, I thought he was one of the better characters in The Avengers.
Thor 2 was insane. you'd like it.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:
hellboy wrote:All three Nolan Batman movies are better than any of the Marvel movies, though for me Iron Man 1, Thor 1 and the Edward Norton Hulk movie are not far off.

Thor 2 was about as terrible as Captain America 1 was. I'm still looking forward to checking out Capt. America 2 at some point.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy wrote:
N.Y.H.C. wrote:

Thor 2 was about as terrible as Captain America 1 was. I'm still looking forward to checking out Capt. America 2 at some point.
I haven't seen Capt. America, but Thor 2 was pretty bad just in comparison to it's own predecessor. Wolverine was alright for a comic movie, but definitely a bit drawn out for what it was ... not enough Wolverine kicking shit considering the length of the film. I like the first Thor to some extent and the first Iron Man even more so. It's been too long for me to truly recall either Hulk movie enough to rate them. Avengers was alright, I guess, but as I type, I can't necessarily pick parts out of it with relation to separating it from the individual character efforts, so it couldn't have been that great.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

American's need to be coddled for a simple art house film

ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

omfg... that's daft.

LIked that movie. Good camera work.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Did you know?

The movie Species was originally intended as a spin-off of the Predator franchise and began production under the working title Sexual Predator. The role of Sil the alien was originally intended to be played by Gary Busey to further tie the two franchises together. Gary Busey was later replaced by Natasha Henstridge and the title was changed to Species after a falling out with 20th Century Fox.
Don't mow your lawn
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Did I want to know?
Ki77aan :twisted: