Movies, TV and other video based media
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Calfium Jay »

And everybody on this forum MUST go and see Prisoners:

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

Yes it has Hugh Jackman in it. And how, may you ask, can any film starring The Knobstick From Down Under possibly be a good film???

Well, I'm as astounded as you are. But trust me it was fucking UNBELIEVABLE!!
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Calfium Jay wrote:And everybody on this forum MUST go and see Prisoners:

Yes it has Hugh Jackman in it. And how, may you ask, can any film starring The Knobstick From Down Under possibly be a good film???

90% of the movie was excellent but I don't know about that ending man...
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Calfium Jay wrote:And everybody on this forum MUST go and see Prisoners:

:evil: :evil: :evil:
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

^I didn't care for that garbage myself...
yes, i have both an asshole and an opinion.
:)
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

ghostbusters
go taff!
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch is fucking trash

IT, on the other hand, fucking rocks and will always rock.
I like to poop naked.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

markuspoop wrote:Halloween 3: Season of the Witch is fucking trash

IT, on the other hand, fucking rocks and will always rock.
my best friend was wasted one night and went on a 15 minute rant about how bad Halloween 3 was, I wish we had phones that took video back then. it was epic how angry he was haha to this day that was the only one I've never watched.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

N.Y.H.C. wrote: my best friend was wasted one night and went on a 15 minute rant about how bad Halloween 3 was..... it was epic how angry he was haha ......
I felt that way about Insidious.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

Calfium Jay wrote:
N.Y.H.C. wrote: my best friend was wasted one night and went on a 15 minute rant about how bad Halloween 3 was..... it was epic how angry he was haha ......
I felt that way about Insidious.
Insidious was great. One of the best comedies I've ever seen.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

"The Last Days On Mars"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1709143/

so I gave this movie a whirl yesterday morning. Indie flick from Ireland (or Scotland?). it had Liev Schreiber and Elias Koteas in it, plus it took place on Mars so I figured "hey I love those guys, why not". this did NOT have to be made. it wasn't horrible by any stretch of the imagination, the acting was actually good. but having come out so soon after the "Europa Report" which was very well done it seems redundant and silly. more like Apollo 18 but less creepy.

definitely skip this.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Trailer for Lars Von Trier's Nymphomaniac:

(warning VERY NSFW)

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/11/o ... riers.html

All I can do is say....OMFG YES!!!!!!!

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

I've always found Von Triers too accessible in his symbolism.

Then I remember people thought Inception was deep or even worse didn't get it.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Don't mow your lawn
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

maybe
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

The Hobbit - The Desolation Of Smaug

Very enjoyable. Smaug was mind blowing and was worth the price of the ticket alone. However it still feels way too Hollywood if you know what I mean - but I suppose Jackson has to dumb it down to a point.
The parts that have been written specifically for the film are a bit touch and go. Some of it works, some of it doesn't. Could have done without some of the sub plots (ie the Laketown Master's grudge against Bard The Bowman or the equally puzzling Tauriel / Kili bits).

All in all it comes highly recommended. If you like that sort of thing. Much better pacing than the first one. Can't wait til next Xmas for the final instalment.

8/10

N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Calfium Jay wrote:The Hobbit - The Desolation Of Smaug

Very enjoyable. Smaug was mind blowing and was worth the price of the ticket alone. However it still feels way too Hollywood if you know what I mean - but I suppose Jackson has to dumb it down to a point.
The parts that have been written specifically for the film are a bit touch and go. Some of it works, some of it doesn't. Could have done without some of the sub plots (ie the Laketown Master's grudge against Bard The Bowman or the equally puzzling Tauriel / Kili bits).

All in all it comes highly recommended. If you like that sort of thing. Much better pacing than the first one. Can't wait til next Xmas for the final instalment.

8/10
excellent review. how creepy was the spider scene in Merkwood? or fuckin Gandolf throwing down with Sauron!!! what the hell!!! third installment is going to be nuts. especially when Beorn shows up and starts bitch smacking orc's like a pimp.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Prometheus (aka Stupid People Doing Stupid Things That Defy Logic And Reason In Space)

Yeah, it's safe to say this film has flaws up the kazoo....

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Big deal. It's hardly a revelation that a movie, sci-fi or not is full of flaws and poor decision making by the characters. What did you think of the movie?
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

Calfium Jay wrote:Prometheus (aka Stupid People Doing Stupid Things That Defy Logic And Reason In Space)

Yeah, it's safe to say this film has flaws up the kazoo....
That shit was fucking retarded. Its like they purposely set out to make a shit film. And those goofy bubble helmets, what the fuck?!?
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:
Calfium Jay wrote:The Hobbit - The Desolation Of Smaug

8/10
excellent review. how creepy was the spider scene in Merkwood? or fuckin Gandolf throwing down with Sauron!!! what the hell!!! third installment is going to be nuts. especially when Beorn shows up and starts bitch smacking orc's like a pimp.
I really enjoyed it too and I don't see Jackson as dumbing it down so much as being true to the feel of the book, that was essentially written for children.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy wrote:Big deal. It's hardly a revelation that a movie, sci-fi or not is full of flaws and poor decision making by the characters. What did you think of the movie?

I've seen it a few times now - both at the cinema and on dvd.

I....want to like it. And a lot of it is generally impressive. Aesthetically it works like a charm. But then at random intervals they go and FUCK IT UP for no apparent reason, with stupid plot decisions and inane dialogue.

And the whole "father" revelation is absolutely pointless as is the fact that Weyland stowed away on the ship. Big deal. They do absolutely NOTHING with either plot point as no one seems to care and it has ZERO effect on the outcome.

"Oh....all the time he was stowed away on board AND it turns out he was Vickers' father".

Big deal. Why should we care. He gives us NO reason to care. Charlize Theron was sorely wasted on this film. Her character had no real purpose.

Overall it was decent, but it should have been a bug hunt film. I wanted freaky aliens tearing shit up and was left sorely wanting by the end.

I also don't understand why the lead character's boyfriend (the one who gets burnt alive) was so depressed when it turned out that the aliens had left the planet.

Hey buddy....you've just discovered ALIEN LIFE!!!!!!!

I give it a low 6.

Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is actually really good also - as a stand alone action movie.

Even if you generally don't do the Marvel thing - which I don't really - it's still worth the price of admission as a roller coaster ride of gunfights, gadgets, car chases and blowing shit the fuck up.

Highly recommended.

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote:
I give it a low 6.
Thanks for that - it largely mirrors my thoughts on the movie, though I was a little more generous in giving it a 7, largely due to the visuals. The story was so forgettable that I really don't remember much of it at all, but I did enjoy the vision it presented.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

you Prometheus haters get the bubble mask gas face. did you see it in theaters? in 3D the way it was supposed to be seen? if you didn't you can stop right there because the visuals were a 10. I keep hearing the story was weak and had plot holes but I've yet to hear anyone successfully argue that in detail. I challenge you to. please, be my guest. the acting was far superior to any sci-fi movie I've seen in decades. "Sunshine" came close but Noomi and Fassbender put this over the top.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:you Prometheus haters get the bubble mask gas face. did you see it in theaters? in 3D the way it was supposed to be seen? if you didn't you can stop right there because the visuals were a 10. I keep hearing the story was weak and had plot holes but I've yet to hear anyone successfully argue that in detail. I challenge you to. please, be my guest. the acting was far superior to any sci-fi movie I've seen in decades. "Sunshine" came close but Noomi and Fassbender put this over the top.
I thought it was a good spectacle and there are never enough sci-fi movies. However. There were huge plot holes and the deference to christian belief systems spoiled any hint of cleverness.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."