Tool - 07 March -2014 - Matthew Knight Arena, Eugene, OR

Tool will be "touring" (well, playing one show in Mexico at time of writing) North America in March 2014.
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Re: Tool - 7 March -2014 - Matthew Knight Arena, Eugene, OR

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

Another better video of Opiate, but again it cuts off right when they get into the jam
BellJH
Fanboi

Post by BellJH »

Capt. Shipwreck wrote: Another better video of Opiate, but again it cuts off right when they get into the jam
Annoying how all of the videos up cut out right at the wrong place...

Justin seems really into this. Maybe this is one of the tunes that was a result of his 'prolific' writing for the new record...
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

BellJH wrote:
Capt. Shipwreck wrote: Another better video of Opiate, but again it cuts off right when they get into the jam

Justin seems really into this. Maybe this is one of the tunes that was a result of his 'prolific' writing for the new record...
Yeah super annoying. I like how enthusiastic Justin seems about it. If only I could find the damn thing and listen to it. I just posted a good vid of the schism intro in the Spokane show thread!
Hopefully it pops up, because a 10 min Opiate with extended jam sounds Awesome! Possibly new material too!
BellJH
Fanboi

Post by BellJH »

Capt. Shipwreck wrote:
BellJH wrote:

Yeah super annoying. I like how enthusiastic Justin seems about it. If only I could find the damn thing and listen to it. I just posted a good vid of the schism intro in the Spokane show thread!
Hopefully it pops up, because a 10 min Opiate with extended jam sounds Awesome! Possibly new material too!
The new Schism intro is good. I agree it does sound quite reminiscent of previous work... i get hints of Wings, Pushit and Lateralus. From these few '?new material' clips that I have heard so far, I have to say I do get the feeling that this new album will be the 'follow up' to Lateralus that so many people were hoping for. I'm calling it.
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Eh I don't know about that. Its seems really kind of ambient and melodic. But who knows, these are just clips. I do hope they throw in one ticks and leeches style balls to the wall.
Jotom
Maynard Believer

Post by Jotom »

I'm new to this forum but have followed for a while.

I was at this show last night. Also I was at the VIP event.

Let first say. Yes the VIP is worth it. Get there early. The first in line get the front row.
We talked with Adam for over two hours. He was not in a hurry. Even though he said he was a bit tired due to lack of sleep. Answered a lot of questions. Even the ones you would assume are secret knowledge.

He told an extended version of how songs are written. Talked about his time with Tom Morello Taught the whole audience how do a 3 over 4 poly rhythm "pass the god dammed butter". We all got to hold/strum the almighty Gibson. Played Jambi Nice and loud for us. We all got signed tour posters. A one on one meet and greet. With pictures. He was very sincere the whole time. Not pretending to be sincere but you could just tell. Very cool guy.

They really went above and beyond from anything I've heard about how these things go with other bands.

Here's a little tidbit for you. The revised version of Opiate we have been hearing is something they have written with special intent. They are in talks with the record company about re-recording and re-releasing it. Holy shit right :D
*****THIS DOES NOT GUARANTEE IT WILL HAPPEN*******

He was asked about the "holy gift" track re-ordering for Lateralus. Answered with a blatant NO it's not intended to be reordered. But also added. You guys should be able to explore it your own way and said if you like it that way and it offers something to you in some way. Then of coarse. Do it. That's not an exact quote but very close to what he said.

He was also asked about combining wings for Marie and 10'000 days with Viginte tres and playing them simultaneously. Also had WTH look on his face when he said. "No I haven't heard of that". The guy asking said "wow, That's the only way I listen to it". And offered. "You ought to try it. It has lots of poly harmonies". Adam smiled and said. "I bet it does".
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Jotom - Welcome and thanks for some more details from VIP. Very interesting.

I just got details on the SF VIP "experience" and I'm not thrilled. But looking forward to some of the stuff they have planned, so I'll just go with it. Really glad the second night I don't have those constraints.

If anybody is interested I'll post at least most of what I got from the Tool VIP folks.
Ki77aan :twisted:
BellJH
Fanboi

Post by BellJH »

Jotom wrote:Here's a little tidbit for you. The revised version of Opiate we have been hearing is something they have written with special intent. They are in talks with the record company about re-recording and re-releasing it. Holy shit right :D
*****THIS DOES NOT GUARANTEE IT WILL HAPPEN*******
Seems weird that they would do that after the Opiate 20 year anniversary re-release... who knows.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Maybe the Undertow re-release? They have said that the songs off Undertow were around when they did the EP.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

Has no one thought to use an app like Smart Voice Recorder to record these Q&A's?

Wear a shirt with a front pocket. Put the phone in said front shirt pocket with mic facing out and enjoy (upload audio file later)

That app can pick up on the slightest noise and produces pretty good recordings of spoken word.

I am sure there are probably better apps for spoken word recording, but I am perplexed as to why no one has recorded the whole Q&A and put it up on the YouTubes.
aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Thanks Kanaduh and Jotom!
Professor of Lesbian Science
lipanconjuring
of Arimathea

Post by lipanconjuring »

Jotom wrote:Here's a little tidbit for you. The revised version of Opiate we have been hearing is something they have written with special intent. They are in talks with the record company about re-recording and re-releasing it. Holy shit right :D
Can you share more about this? It sounds cool but I don't know why they didn't do it for the anniversary reprint.
yourself
Maynard Believer

Post by yourself »

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
sublime5446
Fanboi

Post by sublime5446 »

here's the final seven minutes of the opiate jam ( start were the other vids end.)
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Thanks Sublime. Really cool jam. I really don't get this being re-recorded for Opiate. It doesn't blend with the song at all. Completely separate. And why in the fuck would they be reworking a song that's over 20 years old to record in the studio? Unless this is going to be released as a live version similar to Salival's Pushit. Who knows...
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
sublime5446
Fanboi

Post by sublime5446 »

Bill Hilly wrote:Thanks Sublime. Really cool jam. I really don't get this being re-recorded for Opiate. It doesn't blend with the song at all. Completely separate. And why in the fuck would they be reworking a song that's over 20 years old to record in the studio? Unless this is going to be released as a live version similar to Salival's Pushit. Who knows...
I agree, since they did just re-release opiate and all lol.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

That would just be spitting in our faces, instead of working on the new album, they are reworking old songs?

BS
ncast2523
My pain is just an excuse

Post by ncast2523 »

It's interesting to see how animated Justin is before they start playing this.

Adam mentioned this jam in the Spokane VIP stating they worked out a new extension for Opiate and were going to try to release it "somehow." Not sure what that means. He played a bit of the guitar part for us too. But hearing it in its entirety like this I must say its pretty damn cool. And I agree it doesn't sound like a part of Opiate but rather Opiate into Whatever back into Opiate and then a bad ass outro which might be the second part of the whatever portion. ha.
lipanconjuring
of Arimathea

Post by lipanconjuring »

>make your diehard fans pay out the nose and hunt ebay for a 21st anniversary re-release with nothing new on it
>re-re-release it again as the 22nd anniversary edition with new music

lol
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

They may release this new jam as part of a Salival II type package - maybe that's what the "curveball" is?

Funny that no one has so far asked them if Undertow is getting reissued this year. Remember when Adam posted that pic of the figure being created in a 3D printer..?

Also, hopefully someone will AT LEAST ask if the album is far along enough that they will record this year. I think by now we all realise that a 2014 release isn't possible - or is at least highly unlikely.

:|
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

They play a simple riff over and over for 4 minutes and people are having a hard on. If this is what is to come from the new album then I have lost all hope. The synths were cool though..
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Once again, Kanaduh, great fucking review!!! When I get the opportunity to see TooL more than once on a tour, I try to see the shows from different perspectives for that very reason. I've never had as good a seat yours, well done!!
Jotom
Maynard Believer

Post by Jotom »

lipanconjuring wrote:
Can you share more about this? It sounds cool but I don't know why they didn't do it for the anniversary reprint.

Adam seemed quite excited about it. I heard them play this part 6 times total. Each time a bit different. I believe the "how to release this song" is what the record company is working out. [My Opinion] I could see it being part of a live album or just a bonus track. Mainly because The middle is a lot like a Jam. They played it once before we got to watch during the sound check. (We were in the hall and could hear it clearly). Then twice during the VIP sound check (they messed up once). And they played it a couple more times after we went back out of the area. It is a big build up with a lot of improvisation. It all sounded pretty good but one of the times was outstanding, Danny tore it up and built it to an epic peak. And you could tell the other guys felt it and at that moment it made the most sense musically.

During the Q and A. Adam went on for quite awhile about the song writing process and how parts develop. It starts out with one person bringing a riff or idea to the group. They all jam the riff every which way possible and explore it. They record everything and make "mix tapes" for each other of their favorite moments that come out of it. They take these little magic moments and start piecing them together to create the song. It's as if the whole song is built around unconscious/intuitive jam moments. They are literally let 'IT' flow through them and dictate the music.

As an experienced jammer of many years I can attest to the moments that randomly happen/magically come out of the ether. When all the members of the jam are in sync and make a dramatic shift or change to a new key or time signature. It's unspoken,unplanned and seems to come from the subconscious.(It just feels right) When jamming with a crowd these moments are very powerful as it feels like the audience is playing a major role in these random moments. To capture that epic vibe on tape with major crowd influence, would make this part of the song pretty f-ing Radical. My guess is that's what they are trying to do. Capture the magic.

So there's my long ass take on that part of that song.

One thing is for sure. They do want to re-record this track with the new stuff in it. Live or studio is up for debate. I would assume if they get a really good live take. They'll keep it. I mean why not.

So...Go to the show. Participate. You could be on the record.
Last edited by Jotom on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Somnething fishy is going on for sure. Im not sure I buy that's a new part of opiate. Its probably new material! a Salival II would be sick. But there has been no real confirmation or suggestion of this at all, all fan hypothetical crap.

That jam was fucking cool though. I would listen to a 10 min extended Opiate all day long! Well done Tool! Hopefully this tour continues to 'Evolve'!

I wish Maynard would get involved in jams, do some adlib style poetic singing, throw something off the cuff in there once in a while.

Also, I couldn't really see or tell, but, was Maynard playing the keys in that jam? If so, it could really be a tell of how far along it is.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

recording some of their older tunes like Schism, Opiate, Stinkfist, Sober etc with their well known "extended" live versions is an excellent idea. I mean if we're not getting anything BRAND new, this would be mildly satisfying. I mean if you're favorite member is DC, as is mine, his extended drum solos on some of these songs are epic. even an EP of 4 or 5 tunes studio mastered would be a great summertime listen. would probably interest many of my friends who dig Tool but don't jock their nuts on a forum like I do. lol
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.