Tool - 24 March 2014 - Cedar Park Center - Cedar Park, Tx

Tool will be "touring" (well, playing one show in Mexico at time of writing) North America in March 2014.
Jool
My pain is just an excuse

Re: Tool - 24 March 2014 - Cedar Park Center - Cedar Park, T

Post by Jool »

Wow...

more later
#9[align=center]#9[/align][align=right]#9[/align]
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I'm waiting outside the venue, will post review in a bit. Venue did a shitty job with the parking.

The band, all of them, were on FIRE. No joke.
Hey! Denty!
MAGNUS

Post by MAGNUS »

Ravenpig wrote:The band, all of them, were on FIRE. No joke.
I concur.

Third Eye and Pushit in one show! So awesome I can barely eat my whataburger.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

That's excellent guys. Glad you got a good performance. RP is this your only show?
Ki77aan :twisted:
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

ThirdEye wrote:Austin setlist
Third Eye
Vicarious
Schism
Pushit
Intension
Lateralus
Danny Solo
Jambi
46 & 2
Ænima
Stinkfist
Via @ToolPusciferAPC
This is correct. The crowd got (expectedly) quiet during Intension, but people were having a lot of fun to it. It's hard to explain.
Hey! Denty!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Kittaan wrote:That's excellent guys. Glad you got a good performance. RP is this your only show?
Yea I thought about going tomorrow as well but I couldn't spare the funds.

I'm glad I got tonight cause the set list was killer and the guys kicked ass.

The crowd went absolutely ape shit crazy various times during the night, it was so much fun.
Hey! Denty!
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

A friend at the show sent me this pic. The band had a pic of Oderus Urungus up prior to the show and after the opening song, MJK dedicated the show him.

"Live every day like it's your last. Tonight's set is dedicated to Oderus Urungus aka Davie" - MJK

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Damn that's pretty close to where I was sitting!

And yes it was dedicated to Davie. I was surprised the crowd recognized him when they put his pic up.

Also on a side note, this was by far the most lax security at a Tool show I've been to has been. Didn't see a single person get shit for using their phone or smoking a joint.
Hey! Denty!
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

MAGNUS wrote:Wow - not even inside the venue and I can buy the show's poster? Why bother even going inside.
Merch table was a nut kick again. I thought the 45 min wait at Dallas 2012 for signed was rough.

Signed print didn't show up until 8:30. Doors were at 7:00.

If you collect prints and can't make it to a show, or get in touch with me early enough to secure a print for you, then eBay is pretty much the only way to go.
aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Did Failure open?
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

badkittygothgirl wrote:A friend at the show sent me this pic. The band had a pic of Oderus Urungus up prior to the show and after the opening song, MJK dedicated the show him.

"Live every day like it's your last. Tonight's set is dedicated to Oderus Urungus aka Davie" - MJK
That's Cool of them!
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Lance Armstrong was DC's guest at the show last night. He got some pretty good video of DC's drum solo.

http://www.mobli.com/media/show/id/92446935
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

badkittygothgirl wrote:Lance Armstrong was DC's guest at the show last night. He got some pretty good video of DC's drum solo.

http://www.mobli.com/media/show/id/92446935

More on that in my review which should be up tomorrow. My internet is down so I am reduced to using this tablet and a mifi.
aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

ziggy23 wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

That was fucking insane.......
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

You have no idea. The place went absolutely nuts during that song. So bad ass.
Hey! Denty!
Ascension5

Post by Ascension5 »

Lateralus was fucking incredible. So were Stinkfist and AEnima--there were points during the concert where I couldn't hear Maynard singing over the voice of the crowd.

With that said, what was the sound like further back? We were on the 3rd row on the floor and it seemed like Maynard was quite low in the mix, but from that video it sounds like you could hear him quite distinctly. Certainly didn't detract from the energy of the show, and I still think it's the best one I've been to from them, but that was a bit of a disappointment. I'd gladly have some trouble hearing him, though, if it meant being that close again :shock:

^ Fucking cool. Those figures scared the shit out of me when I was 11, and at 19 I'm standing next to one. I had much more exciting moments, but that one just struck me :)
"Breathe in Union--so, as One, survive." - Jambi, Tool

6. 20. 2010 - Tool
7. 22. 2011 - A Perfect Circle
1. 20. 2012 - Tool
11. 5. 2013 - Nine Inch Nails
3. 24. 2014 - Tool
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I was in section 121, almost straight ahead view. I could hear everyone perfectly. I'll gladly take that section every time.
Hey! Denty!
Ascension5

Post by Ascension5 »

Did anyone who went to this show happen to buy an extra Ced(e)r Park t-shirt in a small? When I got to the merch booth, they had already sold out. I'd be happy to talk about buying one from you if you had an extra. Thanks!
"Breathe in Union--so, as One, survive." - Jambi, Tool

6. 20. 2010 - Tool
7. 22. 2011 - A Perfect Circle
1. 20. 2012 - Tool
11. 5. 2013 - Nine Inch Nails
3. 24. 2014 - Tool
Rothric
Maynard Believer

Post by Rothric »

Ascension5 wrote:With that said, what was the sound like further back? We were on the 3rd row on the floor and it seemed like Maynard was quite low in the mix, but from that video it sounds like you could hear him quite distinctly. Certainly didn't detract from the energy of the show, and I still think it's the best one I've been to from them, but that was a bit of a disappointment. I'd gladly have some trouble hearing him, though, if it meant being that close again :shock:
I did the VIP session too, and just wanted to chime in really quick. I was in the front row, and Maynard was definitely low in the mix. It improved after the intermission, but could have still been better. That really is my only complaint of the whole day.

I wrote a very lengthy review of my entire VIP experience. I'll try and post it here soon.
madson4562
Maynard Believer

Post by madson4562 »

Lance wasn't Danny's only guest for the evening. Right as Tool were going on stage, a big fuckin dude with a platinum mohawk mullet and his friend took a seat directly in front of me (Section 116 first row). During Third Eye, I kept glancing at him, thinking to myself "my god, that looks like Kirk Covington." When he finally turned around and I got to see his face, I had a "holy shit" moment, but decided to leave him alone during the set. At intermission, I tapped him on the back and told him I was a big fan and asked if he'd care if we took a pic. Dude was super cool about it, and we sat there and chatted through almost the whole intermission about Volto! and TT. I didn't realize it, but he's originally from Midland, TX. He said any time Tool's in the area, Danny always hooks him up with good seats. Kirk was really gettin into Danny's playing, even air drumming along and on multiple occasions turned to his friend that was with him and us in the row behind him with a big shit eatin' grin and said stuff like "WOW!" or "Holy shit!" It was cool to see someone that talented even get a little fanboy-ish over Danny's playing. At the end of the show when the guys were showing the crowd some love, Kirk yelled "go get 'em DC!" and Danny turned and looked and started laughing and pointed at him. When the lights went up, he turned and gave me a fist bump, and I asked him if he was meetin up with Danny. He said yeah, and I told him to go have some fun but don't get too crazy. He kinda chuckled and said "no promises." Super laid back and down to earth guy. Really made my night (which was already incredible given how good the show was) just that extra little bit better.

Rothric
Maynard Believer

Post by Rothric »

This is a review I initially wrote for a Bonnaroo message board, but thought I'd go ahead and post it here since I lurked these forums for a bit.

Tool
Cedar Park, TX – 3/24/2014
Wow, it's hard to even know where to start the review for this show. Be prepared for a long winded account of my experience from beginning to end, as it was quite an adventure. For those who don't want to read it, just know, the show was absolutely incredible. This whole day is my favorite musical experience I've had in my life up to now.

I was caught off guard when Tool announced their mini-tour down to Mexico and back, and beyond ecstatic when I saw a date in Cedar Park, a suburb of Austin. I saw on Tool's website that they were offering VIP tickets for all the US dates. I have done VIP for the past two Puscifer tours, and was very pleased with the experience. However, for the Tool VIP, there was also a Q&A and meet and greet with Adam Jones, the guitarist. In addition to the ticket, access to sound check, and some free band merch. Unfortunately, due to Tool's popularity, the VIP tickets were quite a bit more expensive then the VIP Puscifer tickets. Decisions had to be made.

Flash forward a couple days and I'm sitting eagerly in front of my computer waiting to buy two VIP passes to the Cedar Park show. VIP tickets are slowly being added to the site, date by date. Cedar Park tickets were finally available for sale a nerve-wracking 40 minutes after the advertised time. I quickly snatch up my pair and sit in complete silence for a minute, smiling, knowing this was going to be a show of a lifetime.

I had debated trying to buy tickets at the normal on sale time, and then only buying the VIP tickets if I didn't get a good ticket. Thankfully I didn't do that. The show sold out instantly. I got stuck in a waiting room and was unable to get tickets (I was trying just to see what I could get). And by that point, the VIP tickets were sold out too. I would have been at the mercy of scalpers at that point.

Thankfully my girlfriend was able to get the day off work for the show too. She's been a long time fan of Tool (not quite from '92, but close!), but has never had the chance to see Tool or A Perfect Circle. So needless to say, finally seeing Tool was something she's been waiting a long time for. I've had the pleasure of seeing Tool 5 times previously, so I knew she was in for a treat.

Fun fact, Tool is actually the band that got me to Bonnaroo for my first time back in 2007. I had seen them for the first time in 2006 in The Woodlands, TX and San Antonio. When they announced their summer tour in 2007, my brother, our friend, and I decided to get tickets for Corpus Christi and Houston. But when I looked at their full tour, I noticed a stop in Manchester, TN for Bonnaroo. I had heard the name Bonnaroo before, but nothing more then that. A little investigation later, and my ticket to Bonnaroo 2007 was bought, and my love of festivals was born. I guess I was one of “those Tool fans” who ruined Bonnaroo that year ;) Thanks Tool!

Back to the story at hand. After much anticipation, the day of the show was almost upon us. In the days leading up to the show, I had read others accounts of their VIP experience, so I knew what to expect. My excitement was literally bubbling over. There were numerous occasions when I would giggle out loud just thinking about it. As high as my expectations were, they were utterly exceeded.

We have to be at the venue at 1pm to check in. My girlfriend and I leave at 11:15, which would normally be enough time to make it. We unfortunately hit some construction traffic, and were about 15 minutes late to the check in. We were the last people in line to check in, however, this was the best possible thing that could have happened to us. Juan, our “envoy” for the day, had a stack of tickets that he was handing out to people as they checked in.

As I looked down at my tickets, I saw Floor 2, Row A, Seats 1 and 2.

Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit.

In some stroke of luck, the last two tickets handed out were front row, seats 1 and 2. There are literally 10 tickets in the entire venue that are better then ours (seat 12 would be dead center). People with the VIP passes were seated in the first 4 rows, in the center section of the floor. Being late turned out to be the best thing we could have done.

As they herd us inside through security, we have to hand over our cell phones. As a result of the previous taping of the Q&A, no phones allowed anymore! We write our names on a piece of paper, rubberband it our phone, and hand it over. It sucks to have to do it, but if you know Tool, you know they're very strict about photography/recording of their shows. But that's a different debate. You know the rules going in, and if that's what I have to do for this, then fuck it, here's my phone! As a testament to Juan and the rest of the Tool staff, everyone received their phone back without incident. Later as the talk started, Adam apologized for having our phones taken. He said something to the effect of he didn't want it to be recorded because partially it would make him nervous, and it was also supposed to be a personal experience. I could be a little off in that, so someone else in the VIP sessions might be able to confirm. He also said something near to, "Our fans are cool, they wouldn't do that, right?" in response to wondering if someone would try and tape it initially.

There are 100 people here for the VIP experience, and we're all now gathered in a small conference/lounge room in the venue. It's a very odd shaped room, narrow and long. Unfortunately the seats are oriented along the long axis, so there are a lot of short rows. The reason for this, as was later explained, was at a previous stop in a similarly shaped room, they did orient the chairs the other way. However, it sounded terrible.

Both of us get seats near the back, but this turns out to be another blessing in disguise. Adam moved around the room quite a bit during the time, but he spent a large chunk of time talking to us from our row. We were literally 5 feet from him for portions of the talk.

When Adam walks in the room, he just smiles, and says, “Wow, 100 people in this room!”. You can immediately tell that he's a down to earth guy. He explains how it will work, he will talk about a variety of subjects for a bit, and then at the end, open it up to questions from us. He explained that Tool had never done a meet and greet before because they felt it was always very cheesy. If they were going to do it, they wanted it to be different. Adam explained that he wanted to be able to connect with the fans on a real level. He wanted the talk to be like we were hanging out in the kitchen, just a kitchen with his guitar and amps set up!

I can say with 100% certainty, Adam achieved his goal. The personal connection that he made with each one of us was truly amazing. Even though there were 100 of us in the room, I can promise you that everyone walked away feeling it. When you looked Adam in the eyes, you could tell he truly appreciated the fans. He really is an amazingly talented, down to earth person who loves what he does.

His talk covered a wide array of topics from his early love of music, his progression to being in Tool, how the band formed, how they write music as a band, his approach to guitar, lessons on poly-rhythms, pretty much everything. The entire thing with the Q&A was nearly 2 hours long.

A few choice nuggets:
-We have that iconic banjo line in “Deliverance” to thank for Adam picking up the guitar.
-Tool was started as a joke band between Adam and Maynard. However, once Adam really heard Maynard sing, they started to take it more seriously.
-Danny only drummed for them out of pity, he had refused them previously due to his busy schedule in bands and house bands for TV shows. They had scheduled a drummer, but he bailed on them. Once Danny played with them, he quickly turned his focus to it.
-When picking a replacement bassist for Paul, Adam was worried the discussion would come to blows. Adam wanted Justin, but he thought Maynard and Danny wanted a different bassist. Maynard and Danny also wanted Justin, but they thought Adam wanted the other bassist. They quickly realized they all wanted Justin and had a good laugh about it.
-The song title “Jambi” comes from the character Jambi in Pee-Wee's Playhouse. The original riff that Justin brought in reminded them of when Jambi would say “Meka leka hi meka hiney ho”.
-Both Danny and Adam are classically trained musicians. Adam was trained in the Suzuki method of violin.
-Adam, Danny, and Justin write and jam together for a long time before Maynard gets involved. Once the songs have gotten close to their final shape, Maynard will come in and write the vocals.
-Maynard often puts vocals where the other members weren't expecting it when they wrote the music.
-Adam is extremely detail oriented, and will spend hours on something. Maynard is often able to come in and just nail his part in a few takes.
-Adam's stop motion work in Jurassic Park was cut out for “new technology”, ie CGI.
-The money in Tool is split evenly, 4 ways.
-Adam mentioned highly creative people can often have an abrasive personality, or just a strong character flaw of some sort. Whenever they'd meet someone that was an asshole, they had a running joke, “What, your dad take you out to the tool shed and molest you?” Which turned into take you out to the tool shed, to Tool.
-Adam mentioned they gave back a lot of the record label advance in order to keep control of their music.
-On several occasions, Adam has hidden stinky cheese on another band's tour bus. While on tour with Fishbone in Europe, he mentioned doing this. He mentioned doing it to The Flaming Lips as well. As a result, the members of Fishbone ended up in a fist fight over accusations of who was responsible for the smell. Adam never admitted to it, and kept low the rest of the tour! To be fair, this was in response to Adam picking up a cup full of urine in the dressing room and spilling some on himself. Apparently one of the members of Fishbone had a habit of peeing into any available object when he needed to go.
-After spilling said urine on himself, some record executives came to meet him. Without hesitation, he shook their hands with pleasure. He was quite upset with them at the time. Tool's albums weren't in the stores in many of the European cities they were playing, like the label had promised.

As the climax of the talk, he gave a guitar lesson on “Jambi” and then proceeded to play it live for us using a click track with the rest of the band. Seeing him play it in such a small, personal space really was amazing. As I mentioned earlier, he spent a lot of time in front of our row. When he was playing in front of us, he was so close you could hear the unamplified scrape of the strings.

After his talk wrapped up, he opened it up to questions from us. After a few questions had been asked, I mustered the courage to raise my hand. I was beyond nervous, and just praying that I was able to form a coherent sentence. I got a little tongue tied, but managed to get my question out. I asked if Tool had any intentions to put their music on high resolution digital sites like the upcoming Pono Music Store. He said he didn't know what Pono specifically was, but that they do want to put their music out on iTunes and other digital platforms. He said it basically comes down to disagreements with the label. Their label is basically trying to say they own the digital rights to the music, and obviously Tool disagrees. So hopefully they get it resolved by the time the next album comes out. I can't imagine they'd try and promote it without a digital presence.

As the Q&A portion ended, we got ready to take a picture with Adam. As we lined up, we went to a table and picked up our phones. When it was finally my turn to take a picture with him later, he shook my hand and said thank you. All I could stammer out was a “thank you” in response, I was still star struck. He asked if I had a good time, and I just shook my head and said thank you again. Not the best use of my time with him, but I was just trying to concentrate on not looking like a crazy person.

I had brought my poster from my first Tool show, The Woodlands, TX 9/11/2006 by Jermaine Rogers, in the hopes I might get it signed. The information specifically said not to bring personal items for autographs, but it was worth a shot. My plan was to wait at the back of the line for pictures, and ask him to sign the poster instead of taking a picture. However, we were already running nearly 25 minutes late, and the head security guy had reiterated to please not ask for autographs. So I decided against asking. The first VIP show they did, they allowed people to get things signed, and it took nearly 2 hours. They made the change that Adam would presign our VIP posters for us to save time. Would have been nice, but oh well, I get it.

After the picture, we came back into the conference room and picked up our swag bag. It included a special VIP Tool poster signed by Adam, a VIP Tool T-shirt, a beanie, a keychain, a sticker, and a VIP laminate, all in a Tool tote bag.

Before Adam left for the pictures, he left his guitar and said he were welcome to pick it up and hold it. He just stressed to be careful with it, as it is one of his original guitars and he still plays it on stage. The level of trust that must have taken is pretty impressive to me. Unfortunately the guitar got taken away by the guitar tech relatively quickly, they were late and needed it for the sound check. Adam had talked longer then he was supposed to, and because our room was open air to the arena, they couldn't sound check some things while the talk was going on. However, this again turned out to be a blessing.

As we all were gathered in the conference room again, they brought in two video props. The guy from the “Parabola” video, and the guy from the “Schism” video. Really cool to see them up close. Once again the level of trust necessary to have them out was pretty high. Both pieces were art pieces, they were extremely fragile and not made to be sturdy. You could tell too, unfortunately the “Schism” model had some toes broken off, and a finger was cracked. Juan told us it has it's own custom case for travel.

We went out as a group for a smoke break as we waited for sound check to start. I don't smoke cigarettes, but I was ready to use my vape pen. As we were outside, I over hear the guy next to me say, “I left my butane hash oil in the car, don't think I can go get it”. Hearing that, I give him a nod and hand him my vaporizer. His eyes light up and tokes enthusiastically. So once again, a shout out to EJMix and the Liquidizer team for allowing me to enjoy some heady goodness in complete stealth. No more smuggling, I use it in regular e-cig equipment. My high refreshed, it's time for the sound check.

We were told we wouldn't see Maynard at the sound check we had access to. Maynard would come in, do his sound check and leave. We would then be allowed in for the rest of the sound check with the remaining band. However, we were still able to hear Maynard do his portion of the sound check. If you remember, I mentioned our conference room was open air to the arena, so we were able to hear it fairly easily. Got to hear him do Aenima (I think? For some reason I'm fuzzy on this now).

Maynard leaves, and we are allowed into the arena. As you walk in, you're greeted by a floor to ceiling display of LED screens and the sounds of Tool messing with their instruments. They just jam for a bit before busting into “Sober”, followed by “Hooker with a Penis”.

At first I was slightly apprehensive about hearing “Hooker”. I've been watching the setlists Tool had played leading up to Cedar Park. They had a habit of alternating the opening song between “Hooker” and “Third Eye”. The last show they played, they opened with “Third Eye”. That, coupled with hearing “Hooker” at sound check had be worried I'd miss “Third Eye”. “Third Eye” is probably in my top 3 Tool songs I want to hear live, and is probably the best opener in their catalog. It just sets the tone for the rest of the show. So needless to say, I'm holding out hope that maybe we get “Third Eye”.

Sound check is over, and as we are walking out, I hear one of the most beautiful sounds I could hear at that moment. Over the speakers comes Timothy Leary, “Think for yourself, question authority”. My smile spreads from ear to ear, we're getting “Third Eye” for our opener!

Something pretty cool happened to my girlfriend during sound check too. As she was leaving from taking her picture with Adam, he said, “I'll see you in sound check”. As she was walking out during sound check she was looking at Adam. He saw her and gave her a wave and smile. Something little, but pretty cool in my opinion.

After sound check is over, we're free to go back outside if we want. We'd just have to re-enter at doors with the general admission line. That's no big deal though, everything was seated, so no need to wait in line. We head back to the car for a little tailgaiting before the show starts. The venue was cool, and didn't hassle anyone in the parking lot.

My girlfriend and I look at each other, and all we can do is smile. I feel like I've already gotten my money's worth out of the ticket, and am in complete ecstasy...and we haven't even seen the show! Which is kind of a reflection of this writing, I can't believe I've written so much and I haven't even gotten to the show!

It's finally time to head into the venue for the show. As we make our way to our seats, it really hits me how close we were going to be for the show. We are literally in the front row, positioned just right of center perfectly in between Danny and Justin. Failure was the opener. Never listened to them before. They were alright, but to be fair, I could give a fuck who was on the stage at that point.

Finally the time arrives. The lights dim, and a heart beat echos across the arena. Soon you hear the familiar voice of Timothy Leary. Fuck yes, we're getting “Third Eye”. I can barely contain my excitement. I stand by my opinion, “Third Eye” is the ultimate opener for a Tool show. As Maynard stomped the ground while screaming “PRYING OPEN MY THIRD EYE!”, I knew I was exactly where I was supposed to be at that moment in time. No where else could have compared. I have no shame in admitting I had tears down my face at several points during that song. The level of emotion in my body then couldn't be contained, the music was in me, I could feel it. Even as I write this now, thinking back on it, gets me a little misty. I'm sure the security guy in front of me thought I was absolutely crazy.

Tool proceeded to rip through an amazing set:

Third Eye
Vicarious
Schism
Pushit
Intention
Lateralus
---Intermission---
Danny's Drum Solo
Jambi
46 & 2
Aenima
Stinkfist

I think this is my favorite set list of the tour. Couple that with the fact I got to hear an instrumental “Sober” and “Hooker” during sound check and it's a win/win. I wish a few more songs were added to the setlist, but really the only song I'd like to see dropped would be “Intention”. Perhaps “Vicarious” too. But any way you look at it, it's still a great show.

At two points during the set Maynard dedicated the show to Oderus Urungus, of GWAR fame, saying to live every day as if it's your last.

The high points of the show for me were “Third Eye” and “Lateralus”. “Lateralus” is probably my favorite Tool song of all time, and seeing it live is on another level. “Lateralus” should be in every Tool setlist for the existence of the band in my opinion. I really do enjoy the extended portions they add into some of the songs, I think they should expand upon that. Hell, just go full jamband on me, I'd be happy :)

“Lateralus” was also the climax for the show, visually. There were floor to ceiling LED screens projecting the classic Tool/Alex Grey imagery that we all know and love. During “Lateralus”, the lasers were introduced into the show. I'm a self admitted laser-whore. You have lasers in your show? Chances are you just bumped up a step in my book. They had literally a rainbow of lasers, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, white. They also put a large bank of lasers and lights back by the sound board to project from a different angle all across the arena. There was a disco ball hung in the middle of the arena, I forget which songs it was lit up for. It was really cool to look back and see the whole venue lit up in psychedelic jubilation.

The whole crowd was really into it. The guy behind me ingested a bit too much of something though. Any time I looked back, he was sitting down, head in his hands down by his knees. I get it though, I've been there before! My very first Tool show was accompanied by a little fungus. Intense doesn't even begin to describe it. Sometimes all you can do is close your eyes and melt away.

Danny Carey is without a doubt, my favorite drummer. That guy is absolutely astounding. In the talk Adam gave us, he said Danny never stops drumming. He walks in on him practicing anything from basic skills to the most complex rhythms you can imagine. He's just always drumming, improving. Watching him really is a treat. In one previous show I'd seen, I had side stage seats, elevated just enough to get a top down view on Danny. That was a great show to appreciate him (San Antonio, 2006).

I always forget how big on an influence Justin is on their music too. Adam called him a “riff writing machine”. Over the years, I've come realize a lot of the sounds I initially thought were coming from Adam were really Justin on the bass. The guy really gets into it too. During parts, he'd have a very intense look on his face, you'd just see the sweat pour off him as he pummeled us with his bass.

Maynard was good as usual. My only complaint of the show is Maynard's vocals were hard to hear the first half of the set. Perhaps part of the problem was our seat? I've read a few other reviews of the show saying Maynard sounded great. He'd break through at times, but he was buried pretty low most of it. Things definitely improved after the intermission. You could tell he was holding back at times, but he hit Pushit perfectly.

At the culmination of “Stinkfist”, confetti canons went off, as if to herald the end of the show. After the show ended Maynard said thank you and left the stage fairly quickly as usual. The other 3 came out to thank the crowd and soak in the energy. Danny has a handful of drumsticks to throw out. He throws one and it lands just behind my girlfriend. I quickly dive for it, but my hand hit it just after someone else. Not wanting to be a dick, I let him have it. He was a tiny dude, could have easily wrestled it from him. But he had his hand on it first, fair and square. No need to ruin the energy of the night over something as silly as a drumstick.

Just before Danny walks off the stage, he throws another drumstick my direction. It's coming right at me. I go to catch it, but my coordination is off. My hands close a split second too late, the drumstick hits me in the forehead and bounces into the hands of the person behind me. The drumstick literally bounced off my third eye and into another fan's awaiting hands. Two drumsticks in my grasps, both gone. C'est la vie. Would have liked to have a drumstick, but I can't complain. Just thought it was funny one hit me in the forehead. I'm going to blame my missed catch on disorientation from the lights!

As the show ended and the lights came up, all I could do was try and capture that moment in time, that entire day in fact, into my memory. That's partially the function of writing such a lengthy “review” (maybe an essay at this point?). I want to be able to look back years from now and conjure up some of the memories from that day. Wait...does that mean you're reading my diary right now?

As I look back on my experience of that day, all I can do is smile and laugh. It really was a once in a lifetime thing for me, and am glad to have experienced it.

I know probably one person read the entire thing, but hopefully someone out there enjoyed reading it. As I sit here I realize I've spent a few hours writing this. Time to go get something to eat.

tl;dr Tool is fucking awesome. If you're a huge fan, and they do VIP again, do it, you won't regret it. Adam Jones is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.
Gwarden
Maynard Believer

Post by Gwarden »

^Brilliant read, thanks.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

madson4562 wrote: "my god, that looks like Kirk Covington."
Capt. Kirk is a machine on the drums and quite a good keyboardist as well. Very cool.

@ Rothric - Good read.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Suzuki method, eh? So it sounds like a motorcycle?

Did anybody ask if he ever considered playing the violin on a Tool song?
Don't mow your lawn