Where are you going/Where have you been? Travel advice, info, questions, etc.

For discussions that don't fit inside the other forums
Forum rules
Threads should remain on topic. Unnecessary trolling and bickering posts will be deleted. Some light hearted banter will be tolerated. Controversial topics such as racism, paedophilia and such will be deleted. The beatings will continue until moral improves.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Re: Where are you going/Where have you been? Travel advice,

Post by The Boss »

Are they leather boots? I'm not sure I could ever use leather boots for hiking.

Also, do you think I should get some multi-purpose travel shoes here, or in Oz? I don't really remember there being many places to buy such a thing, but it's been a while . . .
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy wrote:
UndKeineZwEier wrote:
So that means it'll probably be like 20 - 30 years before you actually get around to it, right?
He'll be dead by then
Hopefully not the 20, but likely not far off on the 30.

I will try to make it happen before I die. Chances are I will get more out of it alive.
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:Are they leather boots? I'm not sure I could ever use leather boots for hiking.

Also, do you think I should get some multi-purpose travel shoes here, or in Oz? I don't really remember there being many places to buy such a thing, but it's been a while . . .
The ones I have currently are North Face Havocs - hybrid leather & goretex. For most of Australia Goretex boots are just fine.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote:Are they leather boots? I'm not sure I could ever use leather boots for hiking.

The ones I have currently are North Face Havocs - hybrid leather & goretex. For most of Australia Goretex boots are just fine.
That's an amazing price. I think I'll wait 'til I get back to buy some new shoes.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote: That's an amazing price. I think I'll wait 'til I get back to buy some new shoes.
I believe that's a model which is no longer in production, hence the price drop (I got them for about $10 more 3 months ago). Having taken them on 3 walks so far, I can say these are the best hiking shoes I've worn.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

I had a pair of FILA (believe it or not) hiking boots which were the best things I've ever worn. Took them to Nepal, and never had any problems.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:I had a pair of FILA (believe it or not) hiking boots which were the best things I've ever worn. Took them to Nepal, and never had any problems.
I believe it - I also had Fila boots back when I was younger, and they did just fine.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

What a pair of fancy poofta's, nothin wrong with a pair of thongs and some ruggers
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

True - I saw people trekkin' with sandals in the Annapurnas.

I wasn't willing to take that risk.
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

I finally started wearing boots on my walks after being a bees dick away from getting tagged by a red belly black 2 years ago. Scared the fuck out of me & made me realise a set of boots is kinda important. (mind you this was just day treks I was barefooting on.) Have always chucked a set of sneakers on for my overnight treks.

This would be one of my favourite hikes I've done. Up top of Mt Bartle Frere. Is the highest peak in Qld but from all reports I've read, is the steepest & hardest climb compared to each states highest peak. We got thoroughly spanked by the mountain on account of a massive electrical storm which was one of the most awesome sights I've ever seen & nearly got eaten alive by leeches but fuck me it was a great experience.. Charcater building at it's best.. haha

ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

How tall is Mt Bartle Frere?
(googles)
5,322' (1,622 m)
Mount Bartle Frere, Elevation
Coolio mate.

That's about the same as Yellow Mountain here.
I used to hike frequently before my health took a shit.
Getting back to healthy life though finally and was just remarking last night
to E we should at least take a local small hike every night after work to get the legs back.
She'd dig the shit out of it too.

Good job Busty!
\m/ on...
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Busty McCracken

Health taking a shit doesn't sound to good at all mate. Hope it's nothing too long term & ya back doing cartwheels in no time. :D Yeah at 1,622 metres, it's nothing life changing but for a bunch of quasi fit borderline raging alcoholics & considering the extreme weather conditions we faced, was a pretty solid effort. Is also considered to be THE wettest place in the world (true story), so the lushness up of the rainforest at the peak was fucking amazing to see & watching the sunrise over the barrier reef from such elevation was something I won't forget for a while. Looking at going again soon before the wet kicks in. (this shot was 2 years ago). Starting out with small hikes after work is the best way to get back on the horse I reckon, so grab some E & get amongst it bro!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'll be attempting to climb Mt Agung while I'm in Bali later this year. Should be fun:

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Busty McCracken wrote:I finally started wearing boots on my walks after being a bees dick away from getting tagged by a red belly black 2 years ago. Scared the fuck out of me & made me realise a set of boots is kinda important. (mind you this was just day treks I was barefooting on.) Have always chucked a set of sneakers on for my overnight treks.

This would be one of my favourite hikes I've done. Up top of Mt Bartle Frere. Is the highest peak in Qld but from all reports I've read, is the steepest & hardest climb compared to each states highest peak. We got thoroughly spanked by the mountain on account of a massive electrical storm which was one of the most awesome sights I've ever seen & nearly got eaten alive by leeches but fuck me it was a great experience.. Charcater building at it's best.. haha

Fuck, I completely forgot that shit can attack you in Australia. I've always worn proper boots just for the ankle support and comfort.

The mrs has been tossin' up whether or not to by some boots when we land in Oz. Looks like this just sealed the deal.

Completely slipped my mind. Thanks for reminding me . . .
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:I'll be attempting to climb Mt Agung while I'm in Bali later this year. Should be fun:

3,000m. Fuck, nothing to sneeze at.

I'd like to do Mount Kosciuszko midsummer this year/next year, but I'll be focusing on Ulurua and the Blue Mountains. Thought that would be a good way to show a Kiwi a bit of Oz.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:
hellboy wrote:I'll be attempting to climb Mt Agung while I'm in Bali later this year. Should be fun:

I'd like to do Mount Kosciuszko midsummer this year/next year, but I'll be focusing on Ulurua and the Blue Mountains. Thought that would be a good way to show a Kiwi a bit of Oz.
Kosciuszko is nice, but not much of a challenge. Beautiful part of Australia. Blue Mountains are fantastic as well. I'll be there in January for a week of Canyoning.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote:

Kosciuszko is nice, but not much of a challenge. Beautiful part of Australia. Blue Mountains are fantastic as well. I'll be there in January for a week of Canyoning.
I'm intrigued . . .
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Busty McCracken

Man canyoning the blue mountains is so fucking high on my list of things to do. Have heard nothing but amazing things about it! One of my favourite things to do up here is find a creek & follow it up. This one was by far my favourite, finding natural springs along the way & all kinds of crazy shit. Rain hit heavy & turned into a river which made it a dodgy trip home, but all part of the experience I guess..

That climb in Bali looks pretty epic too, might have to check it out if I ever get over there. And no worries for the reminder T Danza.. No shortage of biteys back home to keep ya on ya toes. ;)
Elondriel
Maynard Believer

Post by Elondriel »

Just curious, what is the interest in hiking? I'm impressed with some of the mountains you have climbed.
I actually live in the Blue Mountains, perhaps I need to go on more walks. I guess you don't really appreciate the place you live in. Canyoning is definitely out though.
Busty McCracken

^ Different strokes for different folks I guess.. If your curious to try, i guess just go for a small hike by yourself or with a mate & if it doesn't work for ya, then it just doesn't appeal to ya. For me, it's obviously a way of keeping fit & a far more enjoyable experience than doing so in a gym, but mainly hiking in the bush just completely clears my mind & makes me feel rejuvenated afterward. Plus I love a challenge, so there's that too.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I love hiking. It's a sport that requires no coordination (which is good as I have little of that). It doesn't even require large amounts of physical strength, at least not at the entry level.

It lets me commune with nature, and enjoy some of the beautiful scenery that various locations offer. I'm not a big city person, and need the time away from the concrete and asphalt of suburbia.

It gives met plenty of time to myself, quite useful to self reflection amongst other things.

Conversely to that, it can also be a great social activity - you learn a shitload about your friends when you're "forced" to spend several days in the middle of nowhere with them. In days where social contact is being marginalised into Facebook status updates and tweets, this is important (to me).

Also, it's pretty damn cheap
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Plus it's usually much harder to stumble upon a black bear and her cubs (or any other awesome wildlife) if you're just hanging out in your neighborhood.
I like to poop naked.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Elondriel wrote:Just curious, what is the interest in hiking? I'm impressed with some of the mountains you have climbed.
I actually live in the Blue Mountains, perhaps I need to go on more walks. I guess you don't really appreciate the place you live in. Canyoning is definitely out though.
For me part of it is the exploration aspect of it. Seeing things I wouldn't normally get to see, getting out into nature, spending time alone or with friends and also accomplishing a goal that I may set for myself (ie-getting to the top or end).
Professor of Lesbian Science
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »