Where are you going/Where have you been? Travel advice, info, questions, etc.

For discussions that don't fit inside the other forums
Forum rules
Threads should remain on topic. Unnecessary trolling and bickering posts will be deleted. Some light hearted banter will be tolerated. Controversial topics such as racism, paedophilia and such will be deleted. The beatings will continue until moral improves.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Re: Where are you going/Where have you been? Travel advice,

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote:I was going to do it when I went to Nepal, but absolutely did not have time. I reckon a proper four week trek in the Annapurnas would be more rewarding.
You're probably right. I'm still not sold on Basecamp, but it seems to be the basis of discussions with friends (a bunch of us turn 40 that year).

Other options are China, which I hear is pretty cheap at the moment, and I've been inspired by these photos:

http://www.redbull.com/en/adventure/sto ... -explorers
I think you'd be doing yourself a great disservice if you were to go to the Asian region and didn't focus on Nepal/Annapurnas. It's not called the backbone of the world for nothing.

The people are also the nicest you'll find, too.

Though, after having a look at that link, and knowing that you're a caver, I might be way off.

Speaking of, do you ever watch "THE DESCENT" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/) and just, like, totally fucking freak out? I do, and the last time I went into a cave was to punch cones when I was a kid. As in, I have no experience with caving at all.

That movie must fucking end you, right?
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Kittaan wrote: Have you guys ever heard of Tepuis? This is something that has been on my radar for nearly 20 years, but I've never been able to make it work. Now I'm not sure I can handle it, but it's on my bucket list. I've been among them, at the base, but never ascended. Truly awe inspiring to see them in person.

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2013/05/ta ... is-of.html

I have been to Venezuela and hiked past many and stood on top of one tepui(Angel Falls). Absolutely amazing! A couple of friends got stranded on top for an evening with zero supplies. One almost died when he slipped down into a crevasse at night while hiking to a covered spot to sleep away from the rain and barely caught himself with his elbows. At the time he said he couldn't feel the bottom with his feet, when they returned in the morning they were horrified to see that it was a 3000ft drop. :o
hellboy wrote:Here's somewhere I'd like to go:

http://www.redbull.com/en/adventure/sto ... -explorers

Yes! That would be incredible! China has some of the most intense geography and awesome places. Can't wait to get there.
Mount Huashan
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Professor of Lesbian Science
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

basejumper wrote:I have been to Venezuela and hiked past many and stood on top of one tepui(Angel Falls). Absolutely amazing! A couple of friends got stranded on top for an evening with zero supplies. One almost died when he slipped down into a crevasse at night while hiking to a covered spot to sleep away from the rain and barely caught himself with his elbows. At the time he said he couldn't feel the bottom with his feet, when they returned in the morning they were horrified to see that it was a 3000ft drop.
Intense experience for your friend. I've also been to Angel Falls (tallest waterfall in the world, I believe) but only to the base (no pun intended). Went there on our honeymoon, and it was an amazing trip. We planned to hike to the top, but the group we were with bailed out on it, so we were screwed. Also dying to hit the Amazon and head into Brazil from La Gran Sabana. I've done a ton of travelling in Ven. Seriously beautiful and diverse country. Very sketchy politically there right now though.
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:I think you'd be doing yourself a great disservice if you were to go to the Asian region and didn't focus on Nepal/Annapurnas. It's not called the backbone of the world for nothing.

The people are also the nicest you'll find, too.

Though, after having a look at that link, and knowing that you're a caver, I might be way off.

Speaking of, do you ever watch "THE DESCENT" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/) and just, like, totally fucking freak out? I do, and the last time I went into a cave was to punch cones when I was a kid. As in, I have no experience with caving at all.

That movie must fucking end you, right?
I hear what you're saying - Nepal is very high up on my wishlist, and is a far more likely scenario, since there are many more obstacles that need to be traversed before caving in China is realistic.

Not sure if I've seen it. From memory there were two cave horror movies released at the same time, and I've seen one of them (it wasn't that scary).
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy wrote:Not sure if I've seen it. From memory there were two cave horror movies released at the same time, and I've seen one of them (it wasn't that scary).
There was The Cave, that I don't think was very good (I never saw it), and The Descent which was good.
Don't mow your lawn
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Kittaan wrote:
Busty McCracken wrote:The rainforest is so dense up here, it's generally easy enough to make out the remnants of where the track is headed, so a GPS isn't really high on list of things I should have. Might have to invest in some bandages if anything at the very least on account of snake bites or sprained ankles etc. Other than that, I will be taking a poncho & tying it over my backpack next overnight hike I do after copping some torrential rain, which not only saturated my gear but added unwanted extra weight to our packs. Going to be doing that Mt Bartle Frere again in 4 weeks time. Will be the 2nd attempt, hopefully get better weather this time around.

And like CHeese said, Water for the win!
Seems to me like you're missing an opportunity Busty! Add a rain trap to the top of your pack to supply you fresh water while you hike!

But seriously, sounds like you had a blast, I remember you mentioning that trip years ago. Hope it goes even better mate.

I try to get out and walk (4-10 miles) at least once a week. It seems to be the only exercise I can commit to on a regular basis that doesn't tweak my aging body. Still have to watch prolonged downhill runs due to my fucked up knees. I think a long trek in Thailand about 20+ years ago did them in. Never been the same since. I was with my girlfriend at the time, and I was either pushing or pulling her for much of it. Not wise in retrospect, but she was having a hard time.

Have you guys ever heard of Tepuis? This is something that has been on my radar for nearly 20 years, but I've never been able to make it work. Now I'm not sure I can handle it, but it's on my bucket list. I've been among them, at the base, but never ascended. Truly awe inspiring to see them in person.

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2013/05/ta ... is-of.html

Hahahaha, I like where ya heads at mate.. :lol: Shame to hear about ya knees ya old bugger.. At least ya still getting out there though man & god damn that place looks absolutely fucking amazing bro! Have to go check that out before I die.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

I feel like such a lazy cunt reading this thread, then I realise I am a fucking lazy cunt with an alcohol problem. Then I realise even sober I'm a home body.
Busty McCracken

Don't feel bad, I too am a raging alcoholic, who just so happens to counter that problem with the odd hike.. Saying that, get off ya arse every once in a while ya lazy cunt!
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Yeah I think I'm going to drive to seven mile beach this weekend and traverse it back to front in amends, it's only a 20 minute drive
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

It's a weird feeling not drinking on a Friday night in order to do a day-hike the next day.

I tend to use hiking as a way to both counteract the urge to booze up, and get the fuck away from people and my own head.

If I had hiking boots and gear now, I'd be going every weekend. Nothing better than sitting on top of a mountain by yourself for a few hours after hiking up it for half a day.
Busty McCracken

The Boss wrote:It's a weird feeling not drinking on a Friday night in order to do a day-hike the next day.

I tend to use hiking as a way to both counteract the urge to booze up, and get the fuck away from people and my own head.

If I had hiking boots and gear now, I'd be going every weekend. Nothing better than sitting on top of a mountain by yourself for a few hours after hiking up it for half a day.
Not wrong man, love that feeling when ya summit that motherfucker!!

And Tyson, just stash a beer at every mile interval to give ya that extra motivation. Job done.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

A good pair of boots is a must before I take the next step, npi.
There's a couple easy hikes I can take in my work shoes but anything
after that, boots, I say, boots!
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Kittaan wrote: Intense experience for your friend. I've also been to Angel Falls (tallest waterfall in the world, I believe) but only to the base (no pun intended). Went there on our honeymoon, and it was an amazing trip. We planned to hike to the top, but the group we were with bailed out on it, so we were screwed. Also dying to hit the Amazon and head into Brazil from La Gran Sabana. I've done a ton of travelling in Ven. Seriously beautiful and diverse country. Very sketchy politically there right now though.
Cool that you have been to the Falls! Not too many people can say that! How did you get there? We flew into Canaima on a military aircraft then hiked for a while then took dugout canoes up the river for several hours. Getting to the top was the easy part for us as we had a helicopter! That's how the group got stranded on top. They get dropped off on top then weather moved in before they could jump and before the chopper could retrieve them.
Heading into the Amazon from any direction would be awesome but really cool from the 'not-so traveled' area. I have not been into the heart of the Amazon/Brazil, only been to the coast in Brazil for an ayahuasca ceremony and to Sao Paolo for a few days.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Yo, need some advice from my Aussie dudes . . .

I need some hiking boots (not shoes), and some approach/hiking sandals. Both can be purchased here, but travelling back with them will really be a hassle.

At the moment, I'm thinking about getting a pair of these in Sydney just after I land:

http://www.keenfootwear.com.au/Product/ ... k-Gargoyle

Apparently it's not a bad brand, and the sandals themselves are hella versatile.

Now, what about proper boots (again, not shoes - proper boots with ankle support)? Will I have any problems getting a decent pair in Australia? I really would prefer not to pay over about $150, but knowing how fuck-off expensive Australia is, I expect that might be a problem.

Also, where would I get them? Hiking stores aren't exactly everywhere there, and the usual shoe places seem pretty useless (from what I can tell online).

Any help would be great . . .
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote: Now, what about proper boots (again, not shoes - proper boots with ankle support)? Will I have any problems getting a decent pair in Australia? I really would prefer not to pay over about $150, but knowing how fuck-off expensive Australia is, I expect that might be a problem.

Also, where would I get them? Hiking stores aren't exactly everywhere there, and the usual shoe places seem pretty useless (from what I can tell online).
Prices of boots have been coming down I've noticed lately, so you may be able to find a decent pair. $150 won't go far for decent boots in Oz though.

Depending on how much time you have, trying on boots in store to get the right size, then ordering online from a cheap website may be an option.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote: Now, what about proper boots (again, not shoes - proper boots with ankle support)? Will I have any problems getting a decent pair in Australia? I really would prefer not to pay over about $150, but knowing how fuck-off expensive Australia is, I expect that might be a problem.

Prices of boots have been coming down I've noticed lately, so you may be able to find a decent pair. $150 won't go far for decent boots in Oz though.

Depending on how much time you have, trying on boots in store to get the right size, then ordering online from a cheap website may be an option.
Seriously? For fuck sake, Australia, your shit is ridiculously expensive.

If you honestly don't think I'll find a decent pair for around that price, I am definitely going to buy a pair here. I'll get those sandals in Sydney, and buy a pair of boots here - and try to fit them in my luggage. Might have to ditch my work shoes . . .

Thanks for your help, brole model.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote: Seriously? For fuck sake, Australia, your shit is ridiculously expensive.
Not really Australia's fault, just the usual case of the manufacturers adding the "Australia Tax". Take the RRP of most shoes in Oz and it's not hard to find them at half those prices on overseas and importers websites.

Which sucks, because I want to support the local Outdoor industry. I know the Scout Association owns a store here in Adelaide which have a great range of gear, and the profits go to a great cause, but they can't really compete on price. I'd love to support places like this, but when you're talking saving potentially hundreds, well, it's a big ask...
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

The Boss wrote:buy a pair of boots here - and try to fit them in my luggage.
Just where them on the loooong flight home?
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

What about my work shoes?
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

The Boss wrote:
At the moment, I'm thinking about getting a pair of these in Sydney just after I land:

I have a similar pair of sandals and something that you may want to consider is that these are closed toe. While they work great most of the time they have a tendency to accumulate rocks, sand and other debris in the toe. This really becomes apparent if walking in sandy areas. You have to stop and kick out the sand every so often otherwise it builds up and creates issues.
With regards to the boots, I always wear mine when traveling through airports because of the bulk. Stash the work shoes and sandals in a suitcase.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

The Boss wrote:What about my work shoes?
Girlfriends luggage ftw
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

basejumper wrote:How did you get there? We flew into Canaima on a military aircraft then hiked for a while then took dugout canoes up the river for several hours. Getting to the top was the easy part for us as we had a helicopter!
It was a combination of plane, bus and private car. Long haul from Caracas. Ah, helicopter, that explains it. We did a bunch of excursions for the 5-6 days we were there, a bunch of them began in the dugouts. All amazing. Would love to go back. Been anywhere else in Ven? There are so many amazing and diverse eco-tourism opportunities there. If it weren't for the politics and poverty, I'm sure it would be a much more popular destination for US tourists. As it is, we have encountered a ton of European and Brazilian tourists on our various trips, but very few Gringos.
ilikecheese wrote:Girlfriends luggage ftw
Lolz. Good plan.
Ki77aan :twisted:
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Do what the drug smugglers do. Swallow them.

Or get an empty shoebox, check it on the flight, then when you get to Oz claim the shoes were stolen, sue the airport, and then just buy the shoes in Australia. Simple.
Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

basejumper wrote:
The Boss wrote:

I have a similar pair of sandals and something that you may want to consider is that these are closed toe. While they work great most of the time they have a tendency to accumulate rocks, sand and other debris in the toe. This really becomes apparent if walking in sandy areas. You have to stop and kick out the sand every so often otherwise it builds up and creates issues.
With regards to the boots, I always wear mine when traveling through airports because of the bulk. Stash the work shoes and sandals in a suitcase.
Yeah yeah yeah, I know - I just don't have that much room. I didn't put in shoes in my suitcase coming IN, so it stands to reason that they won't fit coming OUT.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

ilikecheese wrote:
Girlfriends luggage ftw
LOL x 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Never travelled with a woman before, have you.