Australian politics thread

For discussions that don't fit inside the other forums
Forum rules
Threads should remain on topic. Unnecessary trolling and bickering posts will be deleted. Some light hearted banter will be tolerated. Controversial topics such as racism, paedophilia and such will be deleted. The beatings will continue until moral improves.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Australian politics thread

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote:
hellboy wrote:
Not at all. What's the problem?

Forget it. I'm not spending the next seven or eight pages debating this with you when it's unlikely either of us is going to be swayed on our position regarding this incident.
Fair enough, if you're not able to make your point then it's most likely not worth considering.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Calfium Jay wrote:Agreed that this is all a bit much. Some guy somewhere in Sydney receives an email from some guy somewhere in the Middle East, saying something along the lines of "Hey, you Aussie muslims should like cut off some guy's head or something. That would be radical!!!"

And suddenly there's 800 cops and armored vehicles and swat teams. And it all results in ONE FREAKIN CHARGE - that some Muslim guy may or may not have been THINKING about MAYBE doing something to someone somewhere- although it's unconfirmed at this stage.

Dumb - regardless of who's in power - Dumb.

And as was pointed out on RRR the other day - every week in Australia AT LEAST one woman is murdered by her abusive spouse.

So.....yeah.

:|
Every major news station had someone reporting at the houses raided and a helicopter reporting from the sky.

PM & party gets a bump in the polls.

Some guy gets charge with a thought crime.

We are entering a police state.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

hellboy wrote:
She may have said it in ignorance, but that doesn't make it any less racist.
I disagree entirely. Words by themselves are rarely racist. It is the context and the intent behind their usage that makes them so.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

[youtube][/youtube]
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

And yes Tyson Abbott is coming out with some really concerning stuff. It seems that our law enforcement agencies are constantly asking for greater powers so that they don't have to be held accountable to standards of evidence.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

800 law enforcement officers and only 1 charged. Hmm, just a little bit of an overkill
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Kick a beehive and what usually happens?
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

not tyson wrote:Kick a beehive and what usually happens?

Are you using that as a metaphor or are you genuinely interested in beehives?
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

That's interesting. Actually I would describe the entire Rudd / Gillard term of government as a "work of fiction".

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/25099979/ke ... f-fiction/
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Yeah that NBN being installed in my street is an hallucination.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Yeah....so is the cost
not tyson wrote:Yeah that NBN being installed in my street is an hallucination.

http://www.electionnow.com.au/?cat=6

Yeah....that list is LONG.

REAL long.

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Peter Slipper :lol:

That labor scum bag!

Quit living in the past Cal, that list is biased as fuck.

How about the here and now of all the broken election promises?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Liberals have been flawless with their current government. Not a single promise unkept I imagine!
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

not tyson wrote:
that list is biased as fuck.

Biased maybe.

True? Certainly.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Here's a completely unbiased list of Liberal broken promises. A little over a year in and it's looking impressive: http://www.phonytonyabbott.com/content/broken-promises
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/cons ... 0m8ih.html

Australian spies will soon have the power to monitor the entire Australian internet with just one warrant, and journalists and whistleblowers will face up to 10 years' jail for disclosing classified information.

Get absolutely fucked.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

not tyson wrote: Australian spies will soon have the power to monitor the entire Australian internet with just one warrant, and journalists and whistleblowers will face up to 10 years' jail for disclosing classified information.

Get absolutely fucked.

I'm reporting that.

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

That list you posted yesterday about Labour failures?

Yeah
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I better not get raided by some fucking Australian SWAT team. I will be really fucking pissed.
Don't mow your lawn
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy wrote:The Liberals have been flawless with their current government. Not a single promise unkept I imagine!

A HUGE improvement though on the policy by the way of knee jerk reaction to focus group announcements and the rabbit in the headlights decision making incompetence of the Rudd / Gillard years and the absolute zero accountability they showed.

Abbott & Co. are far from perfect but at least it's reassuring to know we're no longer being governed by the cast of Home & Away.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote:A HUGE improvement though on the policy by the way of knee jerk reaction to focus group announcements and the rabbit in the headlights decision making incompetence
Funny, that's pretty much how Tony & Co are doing things...
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Most of the world went into recession during the GFC, Australia didn't.

Hmmmm, damning.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

not tyson wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/cons ... 0m8ih.html

Australian spies will soon have the power to monitor the entire Australian internet with just one warrant, and journalists and whistleblowers will face up to 10 years' jail for disclosing classified information.

Get absolutely fucked.
Welcome to Australia's entirely unnecessary post 9/11 clusterfuck ... Glad to see George W. Abbott's working out so well.

Got you all nice and scared even if it's the wrong guy on the cover of the newspaper.

'Also, fuck you iiNet, we don't need your stinkin permission, here, have this warrant".

Don't be scared, they're the government and they're here to help, unless, ya know, liberty and such are important to you.

Trust me, I'm American ... Kind of a pro at this sorta thing.

I am honestly embarrassed and afraid of the world my children are inheriting.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

What are you in for Greg?

Fucked a few kids

How about you Dennis?

Murdered me wife, me fucking dinner was cold

What about yourself Craig?

I reported to the media some massive government fraud

Hey Mohammed, you hear that, did you hear what Craig did the fucking freak, what are you for?

Someone sent me a group email about how we should beheaded all Western infidels, it went to my spam folder so I never got to delete it
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

not tyson wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/cons ... 0m8ih.html

Get absolutely fucked.
This is either the beginning of the end, or the final nail in the coffin. It's entirely up to how you perceive the road Australia has been going down as a nation for the past fifteen years.

I've been staying out of political/racial/religious whatever discussions both on and off line because I no longer see any benefit in engaging in them, as a human being trying to lead a good and right life - but I'll make an exception right now.

This bullshit with Cambodia has turned my stomach in new ways. Coupled with draconian laws (and yes, I do understand what that term means) that would make the staunchest conservative American terrified, I can no longer justify even a semblance of support for Australia or what it stands for.

We have had good men and women literally die for our nation, because they believed in prosperity, community love, and the right to a fair life for all, no matter who or what they are. This concept has been eroded to the point of complete annihilation since Paul Keating left government.

Sure, Australia is still a great place to live - for the time being. And if you're a baby boomer. Right-leaning. Cashed-up. White.

I knew voting in the Abbott government was going to be a monumental disaster, and I have been placing the blame firmly on a largely stupid population for it. Now they are starting to reap what they have sown.

And instead of rubbing my hands in glee and laughing, "I told you so", all I feel now is a deep sadness.

All those people dead. Died, defending this.

Disgusting. If you don't feel physically sick at what this country has turned into, you have missed the point.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.