Tool - 13 January 2016 - San Antonio, TX

Tool travel across the US for a short tour playing dates in mostly the sourthern half of the country.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Re: Tool - 13 January 2016 - San Antonio, TX

Post by Ettan »

Noticed this new cool effect Junior seems to be using, it's like the screens duplicates real time events. You can see the lights on the big screen and the star in the middle
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

joeypants wrote:I'm sure that was a joke. Do you not throw lots of "fuck yous" around with your buddies?
That makes more sense to me. I'm sure a recording will show up to check it out.
Ki77aan :twisted:
frikinelmo
My pain is just an excuse

Post by frikinelmo »

It seems pretty jovial to me. It's at the 8:10 mark on the Opiate video Ettan posted a few responses back.
tooligan5
Maynard Believer

Post by tooligan5 »

Ettan wrote:Second video is actually Stinkfist, but Maynard made another weird comment. "Maybe we'll play a different song than Stinkfist." Danny doesn't stop with his effects, "Or not."

It sounds like the lead in was something like "pretend like you don't know what's happening right now" and then he says "maybe we will play a different song...". To me, that was definitely a light hearted joke about the ions esque intro (which is not ions as junior has attempted to dispel over and over) is commonly known to precede stink fist. So he was making light of that.
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

uh I love the, "maybe we will play another song than stinkfist" comment. Are they listening? Shitty closer. Change it up.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Kittaan wrote:
joeypants wrote:I'm sure that was a joke. Do you not throw lots of "fuck yous" around with your buddies?
It's not what he said, it's how he said it. Sounded angry.

"I'll start when I want to. Fuck you."

Anyone else go? Am I wrong? Did I misunderstand!
Hey! Denty!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Watching the video, he does actually sound a little perturbed haha.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

YouTube?

Like I said and to be fair, he did seem to get over it as he was back to being chatty and happy in no time.
Hey! Denty!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Ravenpig wrote:YouTube?

Like I said and to be fair, he did seem to get over it as he was back to being chatty and happy in no time.
I still think it's nothing more than typical band/buddy ribbing. Check the Opiate video on the previous page, around 8 min in.
blacksabbath
Duck Hater

Post by blacksabbath »

They will never stop playing stinkfist, 46/2, or aenema. Have they ever not played these songs at a show since they were released?
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

blacksabbath wrote:They will never stop playing stinkfist, 46/2, or aenema. Have they ever not played these songs at a show since they were released?
There have been large stretches/legs where they weren't playing 46/2 or Aenema. Not so much with Stinkfist.
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

I thought the same with Lateralus. Which is the one I think they should keep. The visuals for that one are great. However I did feel like Maynard tired of it. No song should be irreplaceable in my mind.
nousername
of Arimathea

Post by nousername »

blacksabbath wrote:They will never stop playing stinkfist, 46/2, or aenema. Have they ever not played these songs at a show since they were released?
The first time I saw Tool (Oakland Arena in 2002) they did not play 46&2, and the three times I saw them in 2007 (Reno in April, Portland and San Francisco in December) they did not play Ænema. I have seem them 13 times thus far, 2 songs have been played at every one of those shows: Stinkfist and Schism.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

^Yeah totally agree with the above: I've seen TOOL play both Stinkfist and Schism at all 16 shows I have seen since 2002. I'm pretty sure Aenema has been played at all 16 of those shows as well. If there was one show where they didn't, I cannot recall it right now.

My very first show did not include 46 & 2 but they did play H. that night (it's epic when MJK nails the "I don't mind" part). Just about every other show has featured 46 & 2 and, like my comment above re Aenema, if there's another show in there where they didn't play it, perhaps it was because they included something else e.g. Brisbane 2011 had Third Eye, You Lied, Intension and Right In Two so 46 & 2 was left out http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/2011 ... 2d7c9.html

But overall, Schism, Stinkfist and Aenema seem like staples to me. I just think they are always very proud of those pieces of work and will always endeavour to play them. I have a similar feeling about Jambi now too. I think it is the one song from 10,000 Days the band will always play live, possibly becuase of Adam's unique contribution with the talkbox etc. Plus, it's always sounded good live to me.
ncast2523

Post by ncast2523 »

Ravenpig wrote:
Kittaan wrote:
It's not what he said, it's how he said it. Sounded angry.

"I'll start when I want to. Fuck you."

Anyone else go? Am I wrong? Did I misunderstand!
He also said "Lets see how long you guys can keep this shit up" regarding that repeated riff/bass/drum part they were playing.
parabol37
Maynard Believer

Post by parabol37 »

I was at the show. My 5th Tool show since 10,000 days came out and definitely some cool additions to the setlist. Maynard's vocals were very loud which was great to hear. I do think Stinkfist is a bad closer, but all the songs sounded really great at this show.

Maynard seemed to be having lots of fun. And he was quite talkative. Probably more talkative than I've seen him since an APC show on the 13th Step tour. He made several jokes throughout. The Opiate comment was VERY obviously a joke. He was joking around all night. Also the comment before Stinkfist was a joke. They started playing the -Ions sample or whatever and Maynard said something like, "Don't pretend you know what's happening. We might not play Stinkfist right now...Or not." And then they launched into Stinkfist. Before Aenema he said, "Are we waiting on me? I was gonna tell a joke first. Can I?...Please say no because I forgot the joke."

He spoke probably 5 or so times throughout the night. Seemed in a very good mood.
ncast2523

Post by ncast2523 »

I was discussing this with a friend and I kind of feel that maybe they keep one song in the rotation to highlight each member of the band.

For example Schism is really a Justin led track. Before they go into it this night Justin stopped and put his arms up waiting for a larger reaction from the crowd before he went into the main riff...

46&2 with the drum solo is Danny's piece.

Jambi is Adam's for the talk box solo and the killer guitar intro...

Food for thought anyway.

Personally I do not like Lateralus not being played. As stated before the visuals to go with this song are amazing. The message the song conveys is just great and seeing this live is an experience. I would not get upset seeing this at every Tool show I go to.
ncast2523

Post by ncast2523 »

Parabol totally blew me away. I was really excited to be able to see Parabol/a live for the first time and I do love the song, but I didn't expect Parabol to hit me as hard as it did. All the hairs on my body stood on end and it almost moved me to tears. Something about the combination of the purity of the vocals without the barrage of the rest of the bands for a couple glorious minutes. Maybe it was also the fact that this is the first point in the show that you heard Maynard without the megaphone. Truly a beautiful moment. I kind of feel bad for the people getting Parabola without Parabol at the other shows.