Tool 2016 VIP Reviews & Discussion

Tool travel across the US for a short tour playing dates in mostly the sourthern half of the country.
trampis
My pain is just an excuse

Re: Tool 2016 VIP Reviews & Discussion

Post by trampis »

Maybe during the Q&A someone can ask if they will ever do a fan ticket presale similar to what NIN does.

Two ticket limit, picked up at will call with ID and card used for purchase.

Or has this already been answered?
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

Was an autographed Tool poster included in the swag you get?
ncast2523

Post by ncast2523 »

Bogart wrote:Was an autographed Tool poster included in the swag you get?
VIP poster signed by Adam, different from the tour poster.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

ncast2523 wrote:
VIP poster signed by Adam, different from the tour poster.
Did they provide a tube to put it in? Also, did the VIP people have first dibs on the band signed posters?
tantobourne
Bronco's Fan

Post by tantobourne »

Bogart wrote: Did they provide a tube to put it in? Also, did the VIP people have first dibs on the band signed posters?
part of VIP allows the peeps to hit the merch booth before doors open for GA. no tubes provided last time i went. signed poster is pretty much recycled from what i saw in 2014 w/the exception that it's updated for whatever relevant event location info (hand with eye in palm).
ncast2523

Post by ncast2523 »

tantobourne wrote:
Bogart wrote: Did they provide a tube to put it in? Also, did the VIP people have first dibs on the band signed posters?
part of VIP allows the peeps to hit the merch booth before doors open for GA. no tubes provided last time i went. signed poster is pretty much recycled from what i saw in 2014 w/the exception that it's updated for whatever relevant event location info (hand with eye in palm).
No tubes are provided.

Yes march stand had the band signed posters.

VIP poster is very similar to the 2014 vip only with blue instead of red accents. Quite a cool metallic reflective blue might I add. However it does not have the tour cities or dates or anything printed on it.
tantobourne
Bronco's Fan

Post by tantobourne »

ncast2523 wrote:No tubes are provided.
nice. Glad they stepped up from from rubber bands.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

tantobourne wrote:
ncast2523 wrote:No tubes are provided.
nice. Glad they stepped up from from rubber bands.
I don't think they did step up from rubber bands. He was agreeing with you that no tubes were provided. Same as the last VIP run in 2014. No tubes provided.
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

According to t Reddit at the KC soundcheck:
Everyone was running late due to traveling in the storm the night before, so instead of sound check, Adam showed the group his dressing room, then let us on his tour bus in groups of 6, and then let us on stage before taking the group photo.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

This is correct. A friend texted me as soon as he for his phone back. He was happy.
tantobourne
Bronco's Fan

Post by tantobourne »

Kittaan wrote: I don't think they did step up from rubber bands. He was agreeing with you that no tubes were provided. Same as the last VIP run in 2014. No tubes provided.
ah, I misread that. comma, no comma. makes a world of a diff.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

No tubes is bush league in my opinion. So i'm supposed to stand on the floor shoulder to shoulder with people hoping my poster(s) don't get damaged??
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

Dressing room, bus, and stage is all cool and different. I havnt heard many good questions come out of these VIP things lately. I thought I might give a few to those going. Also, I believe you could get him to talk about the new album if you asked a decent question, not just a time line.

How did the extended Opiate track come about? Who's idea? And how long did it take to write?
What has been the most difficult song on the new album to write, and why, so far?
How has becoming a father influenced your writing on the new album?
If the album was 100% your decisions, what direction would it take? And what about the other band members, if it was their sole creative control?
Is there any music that has specifically influenced the new record?
If you could describe a typical days work at The Loft, how would it go?
Do you think I could borrow your key to The Loft?
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

So has anyone got confirmation on the VIP details for the North Carolina show yet? The concert is next Tuesday and I haven't received anything. How far in advance did other people get the details for earlier concerts?
ezeric82
Maynard Believer

Post by ezeric82 »

Bogart wrote:So has anyone got confirmation on the VIP details for the North Carolina show yet? The concert is next Tuesday and I haven't received anything. How far in advance did other people get the details for earlier concerts?
I got my email for VIP in Duluth today, so maybe tomorrow?
ncast2523

Post by ncast2523 »

Capt. Shipwreck wrote:Dressing room, bus, and stage is all cool and different. I havnt heard many good questions come out of these VIP things lately. I thought I might give a few to those going. Also, I believe you could get him to talk about the new album if you asked a decent question, not just a time line.

How did the extended Opiate track come about? Who's idea? And how long did it take to write?
What has been the most difficult song on the new album to write, and why, so far?
How has becoming a father influenced your writing on the new album?
If the album was 100% your decisions, what direction would it take? And what about the other band members, if it was their sole creative control?
Is there any music that has specifically influenced the new record?
If you could describe a typical days work at The Loft, how would it go?
Do you think I could borrow your key to The Loft?
These are some good question and some of them have either been asked or come up in the discussion. I keep randomly remembering little nuggets of information that was spoken about and didn't remember at the time.
ncast2523

Post by ncast2523 »

Bump... no one else did vip?
trampis

Post by trampis »

Whatever happened to that recording of the Adam Jones Q&A someone uploaded from the 2014 tour?
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

trampis wrote:Whatever happened to that recording of the Adam Jones Q&A someone uploaded from the 2014 tour?
It made it's way onto Youtube:

Bones
of Arimathea

Post by Bones »

I went, had a great experience, would recommend to anyone who can come off the cash.........but as far as any new revelation or specifics, there just weren't any.
tantobourne
Bronco's Fan

Post by tantobourne »

Only question I tossed out was about ticketing and it wasn't a question that Adam was thrilled to answer. He seemed a bit defensive and pretty much just said that it was the state of ticket sales today, yes it sucks, and they do what they can which isn't much. I didn't press the matter by asking why TA member pre-sales no longer exists.
ezeric82
Maynard Believer

Post by ezeric82 »

Me and my wife did VIP for the Atlanta/Duluth show. So here's my review and all the details I can remember...
We got to the venue a little before 10 and was first in line. More people started to arrive around 10:45 and the line grew steadily until they let us in at 12:15. Around 12:00 Justin Roberts came out and introduced himself to the crowd. They gave us wristbands to use for entering/exiting the venue. The guy in line behind us had done VIP at previous shows and knew the order of the tickets to be handed out. He asked if they needed to let people in front of them so they wouldn't be sitting at the far end of the stage. My wife quickly added that we would do the same if needed. He said he couldn't do anything about ticket order and that it was random. We were let in by security after they checked our names off the list. Justin returned with a massive stack of tickets in hand and asked me,my wife and the two guys in line behind us not to say anything. We quietly said okay,took our tickets and our merch bags and went inside. We then looked at our tickets in disbelief, they were section 2 row A seats 1&2! Center stage!! Still in shock we were led upstairs to an area of the corridor they had curtained off. Once everyone was there we met Adam's personal security guard Jason. After he went over the rule's he left and Justin talked to the crowd asking where everyone was from etc. There was a lady sitting with her 11 year old daughter,he asked her who her favorite guitarist was, to which she quickly replied Adam Jones! Enthusiastically. He asked what she would do if her favorite guitarist in the world was standing rite behind her? Her eyes got huge as she turned to see Adam standing behind her smiling! The crowd began to clap as she stood and hugged him. He walked to the front of the space where his guitar was resting against a small amplifier. He started off by saying that he was kind of nervous about speaking to a crowd, and that he was usually kind of quiet and shy. He said he wanted to do a VIP experience that lived up to his expectations, in an intimate setting and that's why no phones were allowed. That way,there are no destractions. He said he done a "VIP" experience once and it was very inpersonal and they rushed thru it and "kind of acted like dicks"! He didnt ellaborate on who it was. But said that he didnt want this experience to be like that. He said he wanted it to be like what he had imagined it would be like for him. IMO he definately accomplished that!! He said they were all just normal people and they were in fact not wizards! He talked about how they come up with riffs and how the riffs evolve. He said while they were working on the Ænima album,he had this riff he was really excited about sharing with Danny and Justin,it was soft and beautiful and he really thought they would like it. He said the first time he played that riff (that would eventually become 46&2 I believe)that Danny leaned back on his stool with his arms crossed frowning and said "that's fucking gay.. We're not playing that!!" He laughed and said that when they were done with it Danny said it was his favorite song to play that they had wrote at the time. He said Ænima was wrote around a rythem that Danny Carey's teacher taught him that goes "pass the goddamn butter". He played part of the song to explain. He was asked what happened in Tempe during the solo of Jambi. He told us his new guitar tech had used electrical tape to secure the tube to the mic stand and microphone and it melted. When he went to use it,the tube was coated with the melted adhesive from the tape. It stuck to his lips and tongue,that's why he knocked it out of the way. Then he explained how it works and how he was able to just play it without the talk box. Which he then proceeded to play. Not many people asked questions which was nice as it allowed him to talk about whatever he wanted. Way more than i can remember! One person asked what was the weirdest thing that has happened to him while touring? He laughed and paused,then said that when they were touring with Faith No More many years ago that Mike Patton got so drunk he came out on stage while Tool were performing and pissed on his (Adam's) leg!! Another person asked what he liked to do for fun? He said he liked going to the beach and doing a little surfing,just to feel the power of the ocean beat and pummel him, the normal stuff,like watching TV with his wife. Watching his son experience things for the first time. He said he loved being a dad. My wife asked if she could have his pick he'd been playing with? He smiled and said yes you can,and gave it to her! He thanked everyone for coming and told us that he loved us all. Next we were taken back downstairs to the merch booth. As everyone finished buying their merch,we could hear MJK soundchecking his mics he sang part of Vicarious and part of Opiate. Once he was finished,we were taken into the arena where they had "welcome Atlanta VIPs" spelled out on the lighting rigs. Adam,Danny and Justin were on stage getting ready. They played Parabola,The Grudge and Descending,when they were finished they all came off stage and into the crowd for the group photo. They thanked everyone for coming again and told us they hoped we had enjoyed it! We were then taken back out into the concourse of the arena where Justin said we were running late and that the doors were going to be opening soon. He thanked everyone again and said he really enjoyed his time with us. He told us where to go to retrieve our phones and how to get out and back in the arena. We had completely lost track of time and was amazed it was 6:15! We were even more amazed that we had just spent the last 6 hours give or take with Adam Jones and Tool!! Our minds are still blown! If I ever have the chance to do it again,I definitely will! It was totally worth it IMO! It has taken me over a week to collect my thoughts and write this,I'm sorry if its hard to follow or if I skipped around a lot! If you have any questions please ask,I will do my best to answer them.
tiresias
Has been

Post by tiresias »

ezeric82 wrote:Me and my wife did VIP for the Atlanta/Duluth show. So here's my review and all the details I can remember...
Many thanks. Sounds like an awesome time.
“Casual Fan”
bonebroke
Geacon

Post by bonebroke »

tantobourne wrote:Only question I tossed out was about ticketing and it wasn't a question that Adam was thrilled to answer. He seemed a bit defensive and pretty much just said that it was the state of ticket sales today, yes it sucks, and they do what they can which isn't much. I didn't press the matter by asking why TA member pre-sales no longer exists.
I appreciate you asking.
Thank you.

Oakland Puscifer show included tube with the poster.
tantobourne
Bronco's Fan

Post by tantobourne »

bonebroke wrote:I appreciate you asking. Thank you.
a bit more to recall was him saying that, 'back in the day we had to walk down to the box office and stand in line...' which to be fair, i hear that doing that can net you seats easier than trying the online route. i was unsure if he was alluding to this as 'we actually had to exert effort to get tickets' or the latter.