Fear Inoculum

joeypants
Goderator

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by joeypants »

For my money, I love Invincible a lot more than Descending. Invincible sounds like something they've never done before in a lot of ways. Love, LOVE them both though.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

I don't care at all about the first single or second or whatever. I'm too old for this shit.
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

@Ziggy - what an extremely useful fellow you are!

@Mog - Its not the grudge thread dipshit

"Fear Inoculum sounds gigantic". Now that's the sort of descriptor that moistens my appetite!
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

For what it's worth, Guitar World may have only been show 80 minutes of music, likely on a CD-R, so maybe they will pad out two discs with segues and the tracks together. Hopefully we hear officially Friday.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

ziggy23 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:50 pm I don't care at all about the first single or second or whatever. I'm too old for this shit.
I’ll take a single any day of the week. Send it this way. Never too old for anything music related. Except for mosh pits, yeah mosh pits are starting to suck now. But yes, give us the Invincible video!!
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Pretty sure mosh pits have always sucked.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

Descending is also badass. Gives me the goosebumps, and that’s just hearing these shitty bootlegs. Aug 30 can’t come soon enough
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

liz wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:09 pm Pretty sure mosh pits have always sucked.
They were fun in my 20s. Lots of good times
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

liz wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:09 pm Pretty sure mosh pits have always sucked.
BINGO. Why do people pay to go to beat the shit out of one another? Just enjoy the music. Also, keep your hands down.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

You guys are trippin. Had a blast in the pit at Coachella in 06. That was a hell of a show!
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

BlackHole83 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:15 pm You guys are trippin. Had a blast in the pit at Coachella in 06. That was a hell of a show!
See I'm not a guy and I like to keep my eyes front and take in the show without looking around to make sure some meathead doesn't violently invade my personal space.

A fenced area off to the side would work.

It is 20 something blokes that mosh (they are rubber apparently). As a group they are prone to excess alcohol consumption, going shirtless which increases the odour and they lack experience in crowd etiquette. The odd young lady will join them of course and that's just sad and traitorous to her sex.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Anyone notice Adam say in that interview that they are playing Prison Sex in Drop B or whatever. Unless he meant a different song, I can only assume he is talking about performing it live, which hasn't been done in a long time, and had been retired many years ago, right?

Maybe they are going to bring Prison Sex back in the upcoming tour! He probably misspoke though...
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

children wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:34 pm Anyone notice Adam say in that interview that they are playing Prison Sex in Drop B or whatever. Unless he meant a different song, I can only assume he is talking about performing it live, which hasn't been done in a long time, and had been retired many years ago, right?

Maybe they are going to bring Prison Sex back in the upcoming tour! He probably misspoke though...
It was either mispoken or a typo. He's talking about Parabol/a.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

children wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:34 pm Anyone notice Adam say in that interview that they are playing Prison Sex in Drop B or whatever. Unless he meant a different song, I can only assume he is talking about performing it live, which hasn't been done in a long time, and had been retired many years ago, right?

That was my immediate thought after reading the article, he brings a specific guitar on each tour with on the off chance they play Prison Sex and yet they never play it?

If I was at a show and that dropped I'd geek the fuck out almost as much as if they played H.
Canned audience laughter
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

He said he now brings 6 guitars where he used to bring 2 and that they now use Drop B for Prison Sex because its easier for Maynard to cut loose to.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Yeah I got excited for a moment and realised it must be a typo. As Boldazir said, it should say Parabola which is tuned in B
Listen to All Them Witches
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

That comment from Joe Baressi in Guitar World when asked about how they went about getting the effects.
"a lot of the really weird stuff was done in mixing"

Nice. I'm looking forward to hearing the really weird stuff!
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Interesting that Maynard had a lyrical concept for the number 7 already and Alex Grey had his own separate idea for 7 as well. Synchronicity at its finest.
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

It's good to hear their is another guiding concept like there was on Aenima and Lateralus. Even more good news. Maynard's interpretation of the music into his lyrics in really, really good so far. Honestly I think he is what makes Invincible really work. The entire grind to a halt section seems so silly, but throw in the theme of the lyrics and BAM, it is perfect.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/tool-fe ... m-meaning/

Maynard James Keenan admitted that if felt like “a weight lifted off my chest” when Tool announced the title of their fifth album this week. The long-awaited follow-up to 2006’s 10,000 Days is called Fear Inoculum, and it’s set for release on Aug. 30.

Keenan’s lyrics spread far and wide, across songs he writes for Tool, A Perfect Circle and Puscifer; but it’s possible to guess at what “fear inoculum” might mean before the LP arrives.

First, the literal: “inoculum” is the substance placed in a syringe to deliver an inoculation, and so the suggestion is the deliberate injection of fear. Inoculation is the act of introducing a bacteria to a new place in order to allow the place to respond to it; in terms of healthcare the aim is for the human body to identify it as a negative influence and develop antibodies to kill it, so that if it should ever return the body is ready to react and destroy any resulting infection. So in the terms of the Tool album, it could suggest the deliberate injection of fear wth the intention of preparing humans to deal with it.

If that supposition is on the right track, then there are (at least) two possible interpretations: the first is that the album itself is a fear inoculum, which will prepare the listener to fight against being afraid; the second is that the LP explores the structure of the bacteria of fear – and both could have positive or negative outcomes. Certainly no one will deny that there’s a sense of raised tension in the world today, and that perhaps inoculation against fear is a good idea; but then, the result depends on whether the intention is good or bad, and also, of course, whether the inoculum is effective. Who made it and why? Is that the subject under scrutiny?

A recent interview with Keenan may hint at what he was thinking while writing the new Tool lyrics. “All the stuff going on in the world, everybody’s divided and freaking out and going down the dopamine rabbithole of clickbait," he told the Joe Rogan Podcast in a wide-ranging conversation. I feel like the polarization of it, everybody has a position, taken up a stance and this cause. And I get that; to feel connected, to feel that you’re part of a little bit, for injustice or whatever. I get that you need to do that. But I think at some point when you start fighting with your neighbor you start to kinda lose connection.”

Things became even more interesting when he discussed the results of a human experiment provided to him by a friend. “The purpose when oxycodone first came out was that they discovered in that drug something that interrupted and helped fix people who were meth, heroin addicts,” he said – outlining something that could at least vaguely be described as an inoculum. “It was helping them get sober and getting off the heroin because it replaced that feeling that they were getting – the dopamine womb-like feeling, that escapist thing that they were getting from heroin.” However, his friend noticed that subjects quickly became addicted to oxycodone instead. “Unless she cut your hand off you were going to take another one. So you just replaced the heroin with another thing.”

Keenan went on to say that researchers had begun to look at the possibility that always-on social media and its associated devices were being abused the same way: “Now they’re finding that that whole process of likes and validating – or not validating; you’re getting depressed because nobody likes your post [is similar to a trained lab] rat that keeps hitting the cocaine button. It’s the same thing, It affects the same part of your brain … if you can’t go 10 minutes without looking at your phone, you are an addict. You have to understand that the actual chemical reaction in your body to the charge you get on that.”

In the same interview he also discussed an idea he had for a TV show, which in the context of Fear Inoculum could be an examination of how well or badly the imaginary substance works. “The idea is that we find six different people from completely different backgrounds that have a very strong feeling about something … Just something, whatever it is. They state their position, and the idea is they get these people together with each other and not talk about what they don’t agree on – find the things they agree on and build on the things they can agree on.

“Then at the end of it, they go back and… whatever their statement was about who they are, it doesn’t change. They believe what they believe; but in that, without compromising the core of who they are, they end up finding in somebody else an ‘agree to disagree’ position, where they can talk to each other and find out what they do like.” That's not a bad definition of a socially-injected fear inocolum.

Keenan doesn’t like to explain his lyrics in detail, presumably preferring that the ideas he suggests engage with the listener and find new meaning with each individual. However, he still has points to make and ideas to express. 10,000 Days is said to have been a reference to his mother, who spent the last 27 years (10,000) days of her life in a wheelchair as a result of a stroke; but the frontman once said the time period was roughly how long it takes Saturn to orbit the Sun and that the renewal of the orbit was an opportunity to “ let go of old patterns and embrace a new life.”

The name of previous album Lateralus, he once said, was “lateral thinking and how the only way to really evolve as an artist – or as a human, I think – is to start trying to think outside of the lines and push your boundaries.” He added that it also referred to the lateralus leg muscle to a lesser extent. Before that, Aenima was said to encapsulate “anima,” meaning intellect, consciousness, mind; and “enema,” meaning liquid used for anal cleansing. Debut LP Undertow, perhaps carrying the most direct title, deals with the consequences of being trapped in a cycle of abuse.

With the notable exception of their first album, Tool appear to have tried to present two opposing ideas in one phrase – so perhaps the words “fear” and “inoculum” are to be read separately. Here’s another suggestion: that, following on from previous autobiographical lyrics, Keenan is referring to the band dealing with the personal issues, legal action, illness and other struggles behind the 13-year wait for their fifth release; in which case perhaps he means Tool themselves have become, or have received, a fear inoculum. Perhaps that journey is the reason the record contains tracks named “Descending” and “Invincible.”

More will be revealed at the end of August – but probably not all.
Listen to All Them Witches
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

The thing that has my interest the most is the comment about it sounding like one whole song. Wondering how segues will got into this.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

They had called the number seven in Greek ‘heptad’, and thought of it as a religious and perfect number. The Heptad was said to be from the Greek verb ‘sebo’, to venerate (and from the Hebrew Shbo, seven, or satisfied, abundance), being Septos ” Holy”, “divine”, “motherless”, and “a Virgin.” Hipporcrates said the number seven, a sepentary number had occult virtues, which “lends to the accomplishment of all things, and is the dispenser of life and foundation of all its changes.”

lame
Canned audience laughter
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

liz wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:41 pm He said he now brings 6 guitars where he used to bring 2 and that they now use Drop B for Prison Sex because its easier for Maynard to cut loose to.
Prison Sex has always been Drop B. That comment has got me curious, but they definitely didn't play it in Europe when this interview happened.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

rshforgothispw wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:12 pm The thing that has my interest the most is the comment about it sounding like one whole song. Wondering how segues will got into this.
My money is on CCTrip being the Super Segue to end all segues, with no others being on the album.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

limeygringo wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:55 pm
liz wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:41 pm He said he now brings 6 guitars where he used to bring 2 and that they now use Drop B for Prison Sex because its easier for Maynard to cut loose to.
Prison Sex has always been Drop B. That comment has got me curious, but they definitely didn't play it in Europe when this interview happened.
It is quite possible that they rehearse more songs than they play for a tour. Who knows? It's another TooL mystery.