Fear Inoculum

brewdog123
RIP

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by brewdog123 »

Danny wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:25 am It has the Puscifer/EtE harmony because it’s the same singer 🤯

All bands have this same issue, when you hear a new piece of music from a band it will remind you of older songs of said band, but in the end after dozens of listens you will discover new stuff and start appreciating the music.
100%
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

I'm starting to think this is limited like the Lateralus vinyl, or like Salival was for the first couple of years.

I'm gonna hop down to my local shop and preorder there in a couple hours.

New track is ETE? More like the new track is TITs!
Last edited by limeygringo on Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

It's ok to dislike Maynard's current style. It is what it is though - it's impossible for the old Maynard to come back, his voice has irrevocably changed.

FWIW, I think the vocals are just fine.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Boldizar wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:09 am
brianlikesmovies wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:01 am
rinkwhopper wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:57 am 7:30 cringe inducing Puscifer melodies
This is the only part of the song I don't like, but its not deal breaking for me. The rest of it is incredible.
Why does every instance of signing have his Puscifer/ETE harmony on it?
Cause thats the way his voice is? Im confused as to why you are surprised... you do know Maynard is the singer of Puscfier and APC right? Its not weird that they sound the same...
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

I think they lived up to the hype, i’ve listened to Descending and Invincible only once so i can’t give you my opinion on those but Fear Inoculum is 🔥
I forgot my pen
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:39 am
Cause thats the way his voice is? Im confused as to why you are surprised... you do know Maynard is the singer of Puscfier and APC right? Its not weird that they sound the same...
This line of argument is nonsensical. He doesn't have to sing the same ways or use the exact same recording techniques just because he is the same person. We all know he can sing without this forced, high end nasally timbre, or that he's capable or singing melodic lines that are direct.

I like the Peter Gabriel talking bit he does.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Boldizar wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:47 am
xZ1mM3r wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:39 am
This line of argument is nonsensical. He doesn't have to sing the same ways or use the exact same recording techniques just because he is the same person. We all know he can sing without this forced, high end nasally timbre.

I like the Peter Gabriel talking bit he does.
Eh to say its nonsensical is a stretch. I only know what Maynard can do lately based on what he has released. Younger Maynard did other vocal inflections.... but he hasnt done that for a decade? I have never talked to him, i have never recorded with him, i have never discussed his vocal range with him. Its not a stretch to think the "high end nasally timbre" is what works for him at this point.... i have no reason to think otherwise.

I like the track. Its growing on me already.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

ahahahahahahah, 115 euro on bol.com (largest Dutch online store).

And Maynard changed his technique in the last years. I can only guess for the good of keeping his voice alive. Expecting Maynard growls like on the Opiate EP is noodles, expecting Maynard to go the Grudge style as well, Tick and Leeches was off limits from day one he recorded it. And with the 10,000 Days - Puscifer - A Perfect Circle line I still think he surprised me with Fear Inoculum.

The exhale bit gives good chills.
Boldizar wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:09 am Why can't he freaking sing TO the song? The chorus ("Exhale, Expel") is as antithetical to the music as possible,
I friggin just really like what he does there.
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

hellboy wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:30 am It's ok to dislike Maynard's current style. It is what it is though - it's impossible for the old Maynard to come back, his voice has irrevocably changed.

FWIW, I think the vocals are just fine.
This^^
He's fine
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

The art on the single stream reminds me of the great red dragon horns from overhead. And it looks like some kind of demon skull in the middle. There’s a lot more to this “album cover” reveal.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

holy shit the drums w headphones

that one fill rolls from right to left
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

I wonder what the sales numbers of the CD bundle will reflect once they ship!
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

I'm kind of with Boldizar on the vocals topic. My favorite Maynard vocals are raw, direct and without any obvious "production techniques" like harmonic layering, reverb effects, etc. He could do that nowadays just as well, no matter his age or range.
These production choices to me are just that - artistic choices, not necessities for external reasons. He has been using some versions of these effects since Mer De Noms and then Lateralus.

As far as the rest of the song, I was instantly turned off by the somewhat processed and generic sounding production and also some songwriting elements that by now almost seem like Tool trope checkboxes to me (the tabla bit, the percussive ending, etc).
That said, I have a history of disliking new music of my favorite bands and then having it grow on me, as it's already happening. There is a lot that I like. The album context will change my first opinion a lot more probably.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Newsletter up

Unboxing video to come??

https://toolband.com/news/2019/tool-fea ... m-arrives/
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

Good morning everyone, did I miss anything? :lol:

How many days until August 30th now? 23? Ugh.

So tempted...but...no point in caving now. :D
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
alteridiom
Bronco's Fan

Post by alteridiom »

They can do better, and surely will, but this is exactly what I needed. 12 listens in. I’m rock hard.
gnomenthusiast
Maynard Believer

Post by gnomenthusiast »

What gives?

Album is more than double ($93 vs $44) in the UK than in the US.

Liking the 3 tracks I've heard so far. Fear is growing on me.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

holy shit! that was exactly the song I didn't know I hoped for. closed my eyes during the first listen and it felt like I was drifting away there, love the vibe
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

THANK YOU!!

man, a lot of people complaining and I’m already on like the 50th listen. I can’t even pick out a favorite part yet cuz each listen brings something new. That galloping bass line...

I need studio descending
PulsedHalo
Has been

Post by PulsedHalo »

Yeah i got a headache from all the whining. Tuned it out a bit. Love the song. Trying not to overplay it but that's hard. lol
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

No one’s complaining, only critiquing based on lofty standards theband has earned. This is deep shit and deserves analysis not just a throwaway pop tune to enjoy blindly. Analyzing their catalogue is a fulfilling endeavor for a lot of fans, the good and seemingly bad.
PulsedHalo
Has been

Post by PulsedHalo »

Sorry but I don't agree. A lot of the things I'm reading aren't critiques. It's hating a song on 1 listen and bitching about vocals. What I've been reading I'd hardly call analyzing. It's just negativity.
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

Last edited by earthrocker on Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Deftones!
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Takeo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:58 am No one’s complaining, only critiquing based on lofty standards theband has earned. This is deep shit and deserves analysis not just a throwaway pop tune to enjoy blindly. Analyzing their catalogue is a fulfilling endeavor for a lot of fans, the good and seemingly bad.
God Damn you Takeo! CONFIRM MY BIAS!!

For those who are Eurocentric: https://www.backstagerockshop.com/produ ... noculum-cd

Judging from the prices I have seen floating around here, it looks like this physical release is a North American release that is merely going to be "imported" to other regions. Children of Bodom's special pack for Hexed was similar. I can't see any reason why it would cost so much more.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

PulsedHalo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:01 am Sorry but I don't agree. A lot of the things I'm reading aren't critiques. It's hating a song on 1 listen and bitching about vocals. What I've been reading I'd hardly call analyzing. It's just negativity.
Got it. I guess I haven't delved into much of that, but did notice mostly gushing comments on YT.

It's a solid song. Intriguing as an opener. It's Tool. I agree with some that it's uneven, but this track paired with Invincible and Descending is painting an enticing conceptual work overall.