3) Litanie contre la Peur
4) Invincible
5) Legion Inoculant
6) Descending
7) Culling Voices
8) Chocolate Chip Trip
9) 7empest
10) Mockingbeat

I wonder how these segues will play into and out of the songs and if one version will sound more cohesive?
All well Whatever, Nevermind
Sprout
Fanboi

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by Sprout »

That Kerrang interview is actually worth reading.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Sprout wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:29 am That Kerrang interview is actually worth reading.
Agreed, my favorite so far.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

I am so fucking keen to hear Pneuma and 7empest now... and of course Culling Voices.

Very curious as to how they can do a heavy song for 18 minutes or 20 minutes or whatever 7empest is to finish out the album :)

I know Third Eye is like 14 minutes live but I am very excited!
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Chocolate Chip Trip and Mockingbeat struck me as fusiony track titles. Having Danny confirm this (RE:CC Trip) is cool. It doesn't sound silly at all, but if you aren't familiar with that sort of thing it might.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

I'm now wondering if CCtrip is like Triad as far as being a lead into 7empest or as an end to Culling Voices? I never considered Triad a segue and the use of "instrumental" and the band saying they don't consider CCtrip a segue leads me down this path.
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

Adam take your shoes off that sofa!
Deftones!
cahernandez
My pain is just an excuse

Post by cahernandez »

From the Metal Injection Review, about interlude 'Legion Inoculant':

"Tool's manager, who was present for the listening sessions, noted that all the ambient synths were created by Danny Carey live only once and then he never saved those audio files, so if they play these songs live, he would recreate it in a different way each night."

I definitely smiled when I read this, God bless the man DC! Also, re: 'Chocolate Chip Trip' These guys are funny! I gotta say that's one of the best Tool song titles.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Another one on Metal Sucks. Interesting to read one from a perspective that isn't just full of superlatives: https://www.metalsucks.net/2019/08/14/w ... unds-like/
St. Troy

Post by St. Troy »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:33 pmIt should be noted that the interludes on track 3, 5 and 10 will not be on the physical CD and will only be listenable on the digital version of the album.
I haven't concerned myself with the download card until now because I didn't/couldn't take seriously the notion that the band would release a CD containing only part of the album, but since it now appears that they have taken this moronic and indefensible step, I have some questions:

Does the "digital download card" have files on it, or does it grant access to something online from which you download the files?

Amazon describes it as an "MP3 download card," whereas the toolband.com August newsletter describes it as a "digital download card" - do we know if these files will be MP3, or something else?

Will the sound quality differ between those two sources (CD and the download files)? It sure as hell will reek if 3 tracks are noticeably weaker in quality (I worry that MP3 files - if that's what they are - can't be as high quality as the CD tracks, although I have very little experience with MP3 files), and if they differ, no way in hell would I just listen to the whole thing on MP3 for the sake of uniformity.

When I ask if the sound quality will differ, I should point out that I don't have audiophile speakers or headphones; mine is not a situation where I can say (as some have) things like "when I tried it out on my Klipsch system, the individual toms occupied different points in space, and I can hear Danny's stool creak when he leans in." I don't have the ability to find or hear sonic fingerprints, but if it's a meaningful difference, I will hear it, and I will be pissed.

Further background of my music process - what I do and why:

I only listen to music through my iPhone (home and vehicle are out of the question for various reasons), which means everything first gets loaded into iTunes on my laptop, and from there copied to my iPhone. When I receive my physical copy of FI, I will first copy the CD tracks to iTunes/laptop, and then the download files for the 3 tracks left off the CD. I will combine the two sources so that it all appears as one continuous album in iTunes (with proper running order etc.), and from there put it on my iPhone. If there were an option to download some kind of "super HD tracks" that aren't compatible with iTunes, they would be of no use to me.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

hellboy wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:38 am Another one on Metal Sucks. Interesting to read one from a perspective that isn't just full of superlatives: https://www.metalsucks.net/2019/08/14/w ... unds-like/
and you thought people were weird to relate Vicarous to Schism..this guy thinks everything sounds like schism so far! haha :lol:
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

A repeated chant of “All Hail” eventually gives way to a section...
Wat... Descending?
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

hellboy wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:38 am Another one on Metal Sucks. Interesting to read one from a perspective that isn't just full of superlatives: https://www.metalsucks.net/2019/08/14/w ... unds-like/
Honestly, I think this is the best review so far. It doesn't give to much away and even though the author isn't that descriptive, he is obviously being completely honest with himself and the audience, rather than simply talking about how infallible Tool is and that this album is an instant masterpiece. This is what he felt and some things he heard. This is good criticism and why criticism is better than mindless adulation.

I am not sure how he gets Schism from Fear Inoculation. I do agree that the track lacks a certain punch in comparison to other album openers.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

OCEAN NOISES

WTF
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

FWIW. Metal hammer, unsurprisingly, have a Tool issue coming soon too folks
Deftones!
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

St. Troy wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:43 am
xZ1mM3r wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:33 pmIt should be noted that the interludes on track 3, 5 and 10 will not be on the physical CD and will only be listenable on the digital version of the album.
I haven't concerned myself with the download card until now because I didn't/couldn't take seriously the notion that the band would release a CD containing only part of the album, but since it now appears that they have taken this moronic and indefensible step, I have some questions:

Does the "digital download card" have files on it, or does it grant access to something online from which you download the files?

Amazon describes it as an "MP3 download card," whereas the toolband.com August newsletter describes it as a "digital download card" - do we know if these files will be MP3, or something else?

Will the sound quality differ between those two sources (CD and the download files)? It sure as hell will reek if 3 tracks are noticeably weaker in quality (I worry that MP3 files - if that's what they are - can't be as high quality as the CD tracks, although I have very little experience with MP3 files), and if they differ, no way in hell would I just listen to the whole thing on MP3 for the sake of uniformity.

When I ask if the sound quality will differ, I should point out that I don't have audiophile speakers or headphones; mine is not a situation where I can say (as some have) things like "when I tried it out on my Klipsch system, the individual toms occupied different points in space, and I can hear Danny's stool creak when he leans in." I don't have the ability to find or hear sonic fingerprints, but if it's a meaningful difference, I will hear it, and I will be pissed.

Further background of my music process - what I do and why:

I only listen to music through my iPhone (home and vehicle are out of the question for various reasons), which means everything first gets loaded into iTunes on my laptop, and from there copied to my iPhone. When I receive my physical copy of FI, I will first copy the CD tracks to iTunes/laptop, and then the download files for the 3 tracks left off the CD. I will combine the two sources so that it all appears as one continuous album in iTunes (with proper running order etc.), and from there put it on my iPhone. If there were an option to download some kind of "super HD tracks" that aren't compatible with iTunes, they would be of no use to me.
excellent points. i found it very strange the whole album is not on one disc or split on 2 discs. i cant think of a rationale to release it in the way they are
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

The Wall is 2CDs and only 81:08.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

The kerrang interview is what got my full attention the most. Maybe because it was an interview rather than an album review. Justin and Danny’s banter was great to read. I have mostly been underwhelmed by the other articles, but hearing Justin be excited for the packaging perked me right up. It’s so strange to look back at tool and my life that grew listening to them change so much - but not really. This is it guys. What we have endlessly been waiting for. It’s here.
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

hellboy wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:45 am
Sprout wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:29 am That Kerrang interview is actually worth reading.
Agreed, my favorite so far.
Yep, i didn’t get to read it earlier but i just got home from work and got into it, I love Justin’s humor.

I took a detour on my way home and got some Mdma, tomorrow is a holiday here( the assumption of Mary) so i’m gonna listen to FI and some other Tool and Floyd, i’m gonna trip my chocolate chips off.
I forgot my pen
St. Troy

Post by St. Troy »

Danny wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:14 amI took a detour on my way home and got some Mdma, tomorrow is a holiday here( the assumption of Mary) so i’m gonna listen to FI and some other Tool and Floyd, i’m gonna trip my chocolate chips off.
The authorities have been notified. :geek:
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

St. Troy wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:43 am
I am going to guess that the digital download will be all of the tracks in FI in great digital quality and you will be able to easily download them to your computer and throw them on iTunes. You won’t have to worry about ripping the CD on iTunes. I obliviously don’t know, but think it will be like a digital download that a lot of new vinyls include, so you can have the whole album digitally.
St. Troy

Post by St. Troy »

the chill wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:20 amI am going to guess that the digital download will be all of the tracks in FI in great digital quality and you will be able to easily download them to your computer and throw them on iTunes. You won’t have to worry about ripping the CD on iTunes. I obliviously don’t know, but think it will be like a digital download that a lot of new vinyls include, so you can have the whole album digitally.
Thanks.
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

So Litanie contre la Peur translates to "Litany against Fear" but also seams to directly relate to "Dune" which appears to be a French novel or series of novels Written by Frank Herbert. I remember seeing in one of the snapshots from the recently released mags a mention of "Dune" being some sort of influence.
St. Troy

Post by St. Troy »

Ah, Dune - the greatest book I ever hated reading.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Shed523 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:39 am So Litanie contre la Peur translates to "Litany against Fear" but also seams to directly relate to "Dune" which appears to be a French novel or series of novels Written by Frank Herbert. I remember seeing in one of the snapshots from the recently released mags a mention of "Dune" being some sort of influence.
There is nothing french about the Dune novels. Cool books! The books from Brian Herbert in the serie are a lot weaker.
Dennis Villeneuve is directing a new adaption of the first book. Release 2020 with a pretty good cast.