Fear Inoculum

tys0n
Streeper

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by tys0n »

If anyone wants flac I posted the legal means but if you want to cheat your favourite band use soulseek
Canned audience laughter
cahernandez
My pain is just an excuse

Post by cahernandez »

Sprout wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:43 pm
hellboy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:12 pm
Calfium Jay wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:57 pm

Just seemed unnecessary....
I mean, they didn't really need to release another album either. No way they're topping Aenima or Lateralus
For many years I went back and forth between Lateralus or Aenima as number 1 album, usually whichever one I was listening to at the time came out on top. In the last couple of years I've settled on Lateralus as 1. Purely due to start-finish cohesiveness. I have a feeling Fear Inoculum will bump Aenima to 3 and I can't be any happier to feel that way.
I feel the same way! After Aug 30th I feel like my ranking will be 1. Lateralus 2. Fear Inoculum 3. Aenima
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

For me it'll be a toss up between 10,000 Days & Fear Inoculum for first place. It all depends on the remaining songs.
Matthewc25

Post by Matthewc25 »

So over at Reddit someone got a little extra info on the packaging. So the 79 minute CD might not include the 2 segues. I find that interesting. If it’s true, why wouldn’t they just split the CD into two disks?
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Matthewc25 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:29 am So over at Reddit someone got a little extra info on the packaging. So the 79 minute CD might not include the 2 segues. I find that interesting. If it’s true, why wouldn’t they just split the CD into two disks?
Tool's marketing pre and post info dump doesn't know who the hell is driving. This rollout has been pretty bad all around. At this point no one really knows anything. The album is 80 min, 85min, 89min but only 79 on the CD. These are all competing reports.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
Matthewc25

Post by Matthewc25 »

Tool's marketing pre and post info dump doesn't know who the hell is driving. This rollout has been pretty bad all around. At this point no one really knows anything. The album is 80 min, 85min, 89min but only 79 on the CD. These are all competing reports.
[/quote]

Pretty much lol. They had 13 years to plan😂😂 either way, I’m happy I pre ordered it before it went out of stock.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Or, maybe it’s by design? Confusion Reigns.

@Chill - speedy recovery to your GF. That’s a bummer.
Ki77aan :twisted:
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

@ Chill I really enjoyed your review. And totally agree that Danny and Justin steal the show in this track.

Good thoughts for your girl. Sounds painful.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Three weeks to go!!! \m/ :)
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

it’s weird to read that people think Adam just sits back in this track. Maybe I’m biased cuz I play guitar but I feel he starts each transition in the song. After Maynard says “spectacllleeeee” the power cords come in and demand you start swaying.

saying that, my favorite part in the song is Justin’s bouncy boops when Adam is riffing in 7777-777777. When he slides up the board, and then back down with no fucking effort.

I think you are right chill (hope your girl has a speedy recovery) about the drums, they might be quiet intentionally in the beginning because they do come alive in the middle then straight to the end.

It’s grown even more from day one and I loved it straight away. I feel they have something wicked toward the latter part of this release if it does flow Fear Inoculum, Descending, Invincible. There’s a reason everything else is still so under wraps.

My guess is Maynard’s voice gets more aggressive through the album so they part off is even bigger.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

I don’t think 80 minutes is gonna satisfy me. The amount of good music is finna make me want more. Morrrrrrrrrrrre.
SteveBobSteve
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

🐐
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

FIRST NEW TOOL IN 13 YEARS: ‘FEAR INOCULUM’ A FASCINATING DECONSTRUCTION (SONG REVIEW)

8/10

Thirteen years.

In that span we’ve seen bands rise and fall; pop stars come and go; trends shine and fade. Thirteen years, in the lexicon of pop culture, is an eternity. None of which matters to Tool. None of which should matter to Tool. They’ve always done precisely what they intended to do. Even if that means waiting 13 years to release new music.

The Tool drought we’ve been in since 2006’s 10,000 Days officially ended today with the release of the title track of their upcoming album, Fear Inoculum. It is a song that is as familiar as it is new, a sprawling 10-minute progressive epic that is, if nothing else, Tool doing what Tool does.

In a certain sense, “Fear Inoculum” plays out as a kind of Tool best of. The band seems to have unraveled the tapestries of their past and woven pieces of it into something entirely new and different. Long time listeners will notice elements from the band’s history laced throughout the new track, be it a familiar riff or rhythm, a tonal similarity, or even in the musical progression of the track.

Witness the drumbeats near the 5-minute mark, which recall the world expanding rhythms of “Reflection” off Lateralus. Or the noodling around minute 6 which sound more than a little like the rising climax of “Pushit.” And it’s certainly difficult to not notice how the thunderous conclusion bears more than a passing resemblance to the conclusion of “Ænema.”

Rather than being a case of mere self-cannibalization, however, we see a band in the midst of exploring who and what they are. It’s a wondrous deconstruction of the Tool oeuvre that finds guitarist Adam Jones, bassist Justin Chancellor, and drummer Danny Carey seeking a new understanding of themselves and their history and synthesizing it into something else entirely. Each get the opportunity to reexplore and reconfigure their most memorable moments against a layered backdrop of new sonic intensity.

Lead singer Maynard James Keenan, meanwhile, sings and intones in turns, creating a meditation against the “contagion” of fear. It’s tempting to cast this in the light of our current cultural point; it certainly feels fitting today. “The deceiver says, he says, you belong to me, you don’t want to breathe the light of the others,” Keenan chants, in time to Carey and Chancellor’s pulse-pounding rhythms. Given the cultural divisions that have arose in recent years, how could we not conclude this to be some kind of a political statement?

Fear, however, has always been a driving factor for most people. And always will be. Fear has led us to where we are right now. Fear will continue to drive us away from reason and light, regardless of where we are as a culture. In that sense, there’s a timelessness to the lyrics that apply to all of us. “Forfeit all control, you poison, you spectacle,” he sings, reminding us how easy it is to succumb to our worst selves. “Unveil now, lift away, I see you running, deceiver chased away, a long time coming,” he concludes. Poignant as it is now, in this moment, to know we can control our fear and chase it away, the message is larger and deeper than the present.

While difficult to fully judge outside of the context of the full album, “Fear Inoculum” is a delicious appetizer as we head into the final weeks of waiting. It’s Tool doing what Tool does best, and the perfect reminder for both us and the band of what it was we’ve been missing these past 13 years. Full of complexity and hidden delights, we’ve been given quite a bit to chew on between now and August 30, when Fear Inoculum is finally released in full.

https://glidemagazine.com/229981/tool-f ... ng-review/
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

I'm with rsh, loved the song immediately but even grows better with more listens.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

@Ziggy, I thought you wrote that until I could see the link halfway through. I kept wondering why you were padding out your thoughts with empty descriptors and comparisons.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Boldizar wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:44 am @Ziggy, I thought you wrote that until I could see the link halfway through. I kept wondering why you were padding out your thoughts with empty descriptors and comparisons.
Me too! haha I was like man 13 years huh, ziggy coming with the deep thoughts.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

It's funny that people think articles need to be written like that. Who is that kind of writing for? What does it add?
jackob2545

Post by jackob2545 »

tys0n wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:09 am I found my Astell & Kern player and coupled with my ath-m50x and FLAC file it's fucking AMAZING

Although I think I'm now partially deaf.
What model A&K are you running? I have the m50’s as well and just dove into some entry vintage HiFi home gear and have the itch! I have the Tidal free trial after using Spotify for a long time and the difference is tremendous. I have a large FLAC library and would like to go all HiFi for both portable and at home listening and the A&K seems to be a great piece to bridge the Vintage home stereo system with HiFi digital media.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

ziggy23 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:58 am FIRST NEW TOOL IN 13 YEARS: ‘FEAR INOCULUM’ A FASCINATING DECONSTRUCTION (SONG REVIEW)

8/10

Thirteen years.

In that span we’ve seen bands rise and fall; pop stars come and go; trends shine and fade. Thirteen years, in the lexicon of pop culture, is an eternity. None of which matters to Tool. None of which should matter to Tool. They’ve always done precisely what they intended to do. Even if that means waiting 13 years to release new music.

The Tool drought we’ve been in since 2006’s 10,000 Days officially ended today with the release of the title track of their upcoming album, Fear Inoculum. It is a song that is as familiar as it is new, a sprawling 10-minute progressive epic that is, if nothing else, Tool doing what Tool does.

In a certain sense, “Fear Inoculum” plays out as a kind of Tool best of. The band seems to have unraveled the tapestries of their past and woven pieces of it into something entirely new and different. Long time listeners will notice elements from the band’s history laced throughout the new track, be it a familiar riff or rhythm, a tonal similarity, or even in the musical progression of the track.

Witness the drumbeats near the 5-minute mark, which recall the world expanding rhythms of “Reflection” off Lateralus. Or the noodling around minute 6 which sound more than a little like the rising climax of “Pushit.” And it’s certainly difficult to not notice how the thunderous conclusion bears more than a passing resemblance to the conclusion of “Ænema.”

Rather than being a case of mere self-cannibalization, however, we see a band in the midst of exploring who and what they are. It’s a wondrous deconstruction of the Tool oeuvre that finds guitarist Adam Jones, bassist Justin Chancellor, and drummer Danny Carey seeking a new understanding of themselves and their history and synthesizing it into something else entirely. Each get the opportunity to reexplore and reconfigure their most memorable moments against a layered backdrop of new sonic intensity.

Lead singer Maynard James Keenan, meanwhile, sings and intones in turns, creating a meditation against the “contagion” of fear. It’s tempting to cast this in the light of our current cultural point; it certainly feels fitting today. “The deceiver says, he says, you belong to me, you don’t want to breathe the light of the others,” Keenan chants, in time to Carey and Chancellor’s pulse-pounding rhythms. Given the cultural divisions that have arose in recent years, how could we not conclude this to be some kind of a political statement?

Fear, however, has always been a driving factor for most people. And always will be. Fear has led us to where we are right now. Fear will continue to drive us away from reason and light, regardless of where we are as a culture. In that sense, there’s a timelessness to the lyrics that apply to all of us. “Forfeit all control, you poison, you spectacle,” he sings, reminding us how easy it is to succumb to our worst selves. “Unveil now, lift away, I see you running, deceiver chased away, a long time coming,” he concludes. Poignant as it is now, in this moment, to know we can control our fear and chase it away, the message is larger and deeper than the present.

While difficult to fully judge outside of the context of the full album, “Fear Inoculum” is a delicious appetizer as we head into the final weeks of waiting. It’s Tool doing what Tool does best, and the perfect reminder for both us and the band of what it was we’ve been missing these past 13 years. Full of complexity and hidden delights, we’ve been given quite a bit to chew on between now and August 30, when Fear Inoculum is finally released in full.

https://glidemagazine.com/229981/tool-f ... ng-review/
Cheers, that was bang on the money.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

The name of the song and album is so fitting when you finally get to hear it because you can tell right from the get go that they don't give a shit and aren't holding back one bit.
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

the chill wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:41 am
TLDR: please send good vibes to my gf with 3 broke ribs and a lung puncture, FI is such an fantastic first studio single, and bring on the full album. My earholes are ready.

PS: where is the track listing and length times. Silly band, why haven’t released any Info. Stoked to see those if anybody has an idea. Yay new Tool
Couldn't have said it better! This track just glows. As for your gf, hope she can get thru this easily. Broken anything is tough!
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

Oh my, you can tell I got tired, lazy, and drunk at the end of my long post on the PS part. Hahaha. Thank you all for the well wishes to my gf. They took out the tube last night to see how her lung would do, but it collapsed again, so another day or two in the hospital.

Thanks for responses of my review. Love that this site is booming and most everybody enjoys the new track. These 3 new tracks are so much different feeling and sounding than 10,000 Days. I love that album now, but it did need to grow on me because it was the first new release I had experienced being a new tool fan in 2002. Funny how trolls and people like to clown on Tool for sounding the same every song, but I don’t agree and feel every album has made a huge leap and change, even though it has classic Tool elements.
rshforgothispw wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:26 am it’s weird to read that people think Adam just sits back in this track. Maybe I’m biased cuz I play guitar but I feel he starts each transition in the song. After Maynard says “spectacllleeeee” the power cords come in and demand you start swaying.
I see your point totally and going to hear that now in the song. I have no real musical background(just 7 miserable years of piano in my youth) so I take what you musicians say and listen for now in these new songs.
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

This tune is Groooovy man! Justin has me dancing like no one is watching! That man can Slapada Bassssssss! Still kind of seams surreal seeing TOOL adds on my local news site and Alexa saying “Just tell me to play the new TOOL song” 2019 great year for metal
All well Whatever, Nevermind
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Calfium Jay wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:01 am
Fuck him and fuck this review it is a cop out to compliment the composition and quality and then bitch because it sounds too much like a "TOOL" song or doesn't sound different enough from other Tool songs.

He is being a fucking hypocrite. When Sleep's The Sciences came out he raved about it. And rightly so because it is a great album. That said there was absolutely nothing fundamentally different about it. It was very much a SLEEP album. Did he bitch about Sleep not completely changing gears or sounding too much like they did on Dopesmoker? Nope.

Anybody that listens to Fear Inoculum and bitches that it sounds too much like a traditional song is missing the mark entirely.

You want a good reaction video, here is someone who actually knows what the hell they are talking about. He actually listens to the entire song and then gives an actual proper breakdown of what is happening in the track and what is different and what works.

Also taking a moment to speak to something Tyson mentioned I also agree that reaction videos are mostly useless. Most of us who listen to music do not need anyone else to explain what is going on or what they think is going on. Also most reaction videos do very little actual analysis and function more to generate likes and clicks. That said there are some genuinely interesting people who do analyze songs and others that I find to be very entertaining. I can also understand the appeal for the more casual listener who may not really understand what is happening in some of these compositions musically. Ultimately though most reaction videos are either individuals looking to capitalize on the success and talent of a band/musician or they function as a glorified popularity contest. People often watch these sort of things because they need to validate their own feelings about a song or a band by what others have to say about it.

In summary, in most cases a waste of time. On occasion, interesting and/or entertaining.
The most intelligent person on this forum
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Boom.
SteveBobSteve