Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by basejumper »

Professor of Lesbian Science
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

^^ why??
Professor of Lesbian Science
St. Troy
My pain is just an excuse

Post by St. Troy »

M0G wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:35 pm Just a quick reminder, this album is a 10 out of 10.
...and the CD contains 7 out of 10...
I ain't no pervert; I was just born curious.

I'm your friendly neighborhood peeping Tom.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

ziggy23 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:04 pm Image
:D
All well Whatever, Nevermind
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

ziggy23 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:40 pm
Don't really care much about charts, so I don't know why this is so satisfying... :|
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

Don’t care much about charts either.

It’s satisfying because it’s Tool. Tool vs Taylor Swift.
I forgot my pen
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

basejumper wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:34 am^^ why??
because
- You like noisy music?
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

fractal-machine wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:34 pm
Don't really care much about charts, so I don't know why this is so satisfying... :|
I didn't say it was satisfying. I don't care about the charts either, I just was curious about the deluxe CD sales numbers.
- You like noisy music?
rinkwhopper
Has been

Post by rinkwhopper »

In case anyone else is unsure, I got curious as to what TEA and SEA meant, so looked it up and they mean track equivalent albums and streaming equivalent albums.
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

ziggy23 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:10 am
fractal-machine wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:34 pm
I didn't say it was satisfying. I don't care about the charts either, I just was curious about the deluxe CD sales numbers.
Lol, I meant I don't now why it's so satisfying to me! :lol:
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

fractal-machine wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:14 pm Lol, I meant I don't now why it's so satisfying to me! :lol:
I was blind, but now I see :mrgreen:
sorry)
- You like noisy music?
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Tool's 'Fear Inoculum' Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200 Chart With Biggest Week For a Rock Album in Over 1 Year

https://www.billboard.com/articles/busi ... rock-album
- You like noisy music?
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

And now for my review that no one really gives a flying fuck about, but am gonna post it anyways:

1: Fear Inoculum: I was telling myself I'd avoid this if possible seeing as I'd already listened to Invincible & Descending boots way too many times. That sabbatical lasted all of 2 seconds, as soon as I saw the link come up, I chucked on some headphones and away I went. I was pretty damn taken aback when the opening string sounding intro kicked in. Maynards vocal style caught me a little by surprise too. Not that I didn't like it, just caught me off a little as sounded a bit different to the live bootlegs I'd heard to date. By the end of the song, I actually felt pretty damn overwhelmed. Just the fact that I was hearing a studio recording of a new Tool song along with the fact that the song was just pretty fucking mind blowing. First impression was that I knew I loved it but wasn't what I was expecting from the debut song. On first listen the chorus section seemed to stick out the most as something that was not something I loved, but figured would grow on me once I got my head around the song better. BY 3rd listen the chorus made sense and I absolutely loved the song, hoping it would be the debut song on the album so they would open the tour with it. I see this making an absolute ball tearer of a live opener! the production stood out the most as being absolutely lush.

2: Pneuma: The intro kicked in and here we go, this is when it really set in that I was actually listening to the new album after all these god damn years. The bass, the drums, the vocals, the guitar. Everything about this song stood out on first listen and I absolutely fucking loved it. The chorus reminded of me The Patient & the mid bass section reminded my of H. , but not in a bad way. I took that as a positive that it was giving me Aenima / Lateralus vibes.

3: Invincible. This song stood out the most out of the bootlegs so was very keen to hear the studio. It didn't disappoint. The bass line in this song is absolute tits and I fell in love with this song on first listen of the bootleg and nothing has changed. I loved the honesty in Maynards lyrics in this song. And that drop when the song breaks.. Man.. Killer!

4: Descending: Was really looking forward to hearing the studio of this, as I never felt the bootlegs caught just how good this song was. Holds a special place as the first new song I listened too when the bootleg came out and I actually teared up during the instrumental section towards the back end. This time around, I got The Grudge vibes and to hear them producing something of this quality made me insanely happy. This song reminds of Lateralus which is one of the biggest compliments I can give a song as it's my favourite song of all time along with Orion by Metallica.

5: Culling Voices: On first listen I found it to be the weakest track. Maynards vocals stood out the most with "don't you point your finger at me". I loved that line and when Justins bass finally kicked in it made me smile. Took a few goes to grasp this song and I get the criticism of it on here, but I personally love it. But I'm a (mediocre) bass player, so Justins bass line makes this a very damn enjoyable song for me.

6: CC Trip. The electro samples sound absolutely killer as they pan left to right on headphones and a Danny fucking Carey solo.. What's not to like. I remember vividly the early rendition of this when I last saw them live in 2013. Was great to hear him get a chance to shine by himself.

7: 7empest. This was too much to take on first listen and was heavily built up. On first listen I instantly heard Opiate / Undertow vibes and loved hearing Maynard rip on the last tune. He didn't need too on the other tracks so wasn't missed at all but this song deserved it and he brought the goods. His line ' acting all surprised when ya caught in a lie, its not unlike you' is vintage Maynard.

The Segues. Legion Inoculant is my favourite of the three and reminds me of their live segues., am hoping and expecting these to be used live and they will sound great.

All in all, as expected they will never top Aenima which for me is followed closely by Lateralus. Those two are untouchable , but despite my very high expectations, they have managed to exceed them. Absolutely amazing album and a very worthy addition to their catalogue. Bring on the tour.

Now off my soapbox. I have to run now so don't have time to proofread. No doubt spelling errors everywhere but you get the gist and beside wh'os actually read this far anyway?
Listen to All Them Witches
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

"besides, who's actually read this far anyway?"

There's the only proofread I noticed! Great review! We had the same experience for the most part, down to seeing the earliest live versions of CCTrip and devouring every crumb of a bootleg as they came and loving every second of it. It's been getting better all the time too!!

Like you said, this album is a worthy addition to their catalogue; I'm looking forward to hearing more lol!
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I got to be honest, I'm not fan of the other segues at all.

I'm going to pretend the CD version is the definitive version.
Canned audience laughter
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Busty McCracken wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:36 pm wh'os actually read this far anyway?
I did.
Thanks for sharing, Busty.
- You like noisy music?
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Yeh I did a quick skim 10 mins after posting when I got a spare moment and quickly did a quick proof read.

Cheers for reading , will be good (if this forum is still kicking along) to be able to come back and read my initial thoughts say 5 years down the track.

I'm hearing plenty that don't love the segues. I can't I've ever really liked alot of the segues. I deleted segues like useful idiot , ions, disgustipated, faiip de oad , viginiti tres many years ago. Legion inoculent and the first one I see myself keeping on this album (at least for now anyway )
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Is it people were expecting eon blue apocalypse type segues ? Coz ya could argue instead of those type of pieces of music are there still but contained within the song. E.g. pneuma. The guitar into could serve as a segue and then the actual song starts when the bass kicks in
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I love useful idiot and (ions)!

It's just that these segues seem lazy as FUCK!
Canned audience laughter
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Nice review Busty! I align with much of what you said, and share the low end love. What a fucking rhythm section, eh?! Cannot wait to hear this material live, and most importantly in person.

Btw, there were a couple of Too vs To errors in there (they’re?), but who gives a fuck mate?

How many full plays you reckon you got under your belt? In the hundreds for me. My fam is fully saturated with Tool now, and I’ve been bullied into headphones only unless I have the run of the house. :lol:
Ki77aan :twisted:
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

ziggy23 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:43 am
Badassery. I knew some brave soul would make that happen. Gonna look great on huge screens....
Ki77aan :twisted: