Fear Inoculum

User avatar
Shed523
Geacon
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by Shed523 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:22 am

1. Fear Inoculum
2. Pneuma
3. Invincible
4. Descending
5. Culling Voices
6. Chocolate Chip Trip
7. 7empest
or
1) Fear Inoculum
2) Pneuma
3) Litanie contre la Peur
4) Invincible
5) Legion Inoculant
6) Descending
7) Culling Voices
8) Chocolate Chip Trip
9) 7empest
10) Mockingbeat

I wonder how these segues will play into and out of the songs and if one version will sound more cohesive?
All well Whatever, Nevermind

Sprout
My pain is just an excuse
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by Sprout » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:29 am

That Kerrang interview is actually worth reading.

User avatar
hellboy
Site Admin
Posts: 11549
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:01 pm
Height: 182cm
Contact:

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by hellboy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:45 am

Sprout wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:29 am
That Kerrang interview is actually worth reading.
Agreed, my favorite so far.

mattw
Phony
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 12:25 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by mattw » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:59 am

I am so fucking keen to hear Pneuma and 7empest now... and of course Culling Voices.

Very curious as to how they can do a heavy song for 18 minutes or 20 minutes or whatever 7empest is to finish out the album :)

I know Third Eye is like 14 minutes live but I am very excited!

User avatar
Boldizar
Optomist
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:15 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by Boldizar » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:16 am

Chocolate Chip Trip and Mockingbeat struck me as fusiony track titles. Having Danny confirm this (RE:CC Trip) is cool. It doesn't sound silly at all, but if you aren't familiar with that sort of thing it might.
Dan Brown's Fear Inoculum: Best novel ever written, inspiring, worth the wait, not enough yelling, every page reads like the DaVinci Code... 3/10

User avatar
Shed523
Geacon
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by Shed523 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:07 am

I'm now wondering if CCtrip is like Triad as far as being a lead into 7empest or as an end to Culling Voices? I never considered Triad a segue and the use of "instrumental" and the band saying they don't consider CCtrip a segue leads me down this path.
All well Whatever, Nevermind

earthrocker
Green Herbsman
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 9:59 am
Height: Short
Location: Always Changing

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by earthrocker » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:11 am

Adam take your shoes off that sofa!
Don't listen to Cog

cahernandez
Bronco's Fan
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:03 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by cahernandez » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:37 am

From the Metal Injection Review, about interlude 'Legion Inoculant':

"Tool's manager, who was present for the listening sessions, noted that all the ambient synths were created by Danny Carey live only once and then he never saved those audio files, so if they play these songs live, he would recreate it in a different way each night."

I definitely smiled when I read this, God bless the man DC! Also, re: 'Chocolate Chip Trip' These guys are funny! I gotta say that's one of the best Tool song titles.

User avatar
hellboy
Site Admin
Posts: 11549
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:01 pm
Height: 182cm
Contact:

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by hellboy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:38 am

Another one on Metal Sucks. Interesting to read one from a perspective that isn't just full of superlatives: https://www.metalsucks.net/2019/08/14/w ... unds-like/

St. Troy
My pain is just an excuse
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:09 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by St. Troy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:43 am

xZ1mM3r wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:33 pm
It should be noted that the interludes on track 3, 5 and 10 will not be on the physical CD and will only be listenable on the digital version of the album.
I haven't concerned myself with the download card until now because I didn't/couldn't take seriously the notion that the band would release a CD containing only part of the album, but since it now appears that they have taken this moronic and indefensible step, I have some questions:

Does the "digital download card" have files on it, or does it grant access to something online from which you download the files?

Amazon describes it as an "MP3 download card," whereas the toolband.com August newsletter describes it as a "digital download card" - do we know if these files will be MP3, or something else?

Will the sound quality differ between those two sources (CD and the download files)? It sure as hell will reek if 3 tracks are noticeably weaker in quality (I worry that MP3 files - if that's what they are - can't be as high quality as the CD tracks, although I have very little experience with MP3 files), and if they differ, no way in hell would I just listen to the whole thing on MP3 for the sake of uniformity.

When I ask if the sound quality will differ, I should point out that I don't have audiophile speakers or headphones; mine is not a situation where I can say (as some have) things like "when I tried it out on my Klipsch system, the individual toms occupied different points in space, and I can hear Danny's stool creak when he leans in." I don't have the ability to find or hear sonic fingerprints, but if it's a meaningful difference, I will hear it, and I will be pissed.

Further background of my music process - what I do and why:

I only listen to music through my iPhone (home and vehicle are out of the question for various reasons), which means everything first gets loaded into iTunes on my laptop, and from there copied to my iPhone. When I receive my physical copy of FI, I will first copy the CD tracks to iTunes/laptop, and then the download files for the 3 tracks left off the CD. I will combine the two sources so that it all appears as one continuous album in iTunes (with proper running order etc.), and from there put it on my iPhone. If there were an option to download some kind of "super HD tracks" that aren't compatible with iTunes, they would be of no use to me.

bob
Feral
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by bob » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:52 am

hellboy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:38 am
Another one on Metal Sucks. Interesting to read one from a perspective that isn't just full of superlatives: https://www.metalsucks.net/2019/08/14/w ... unds-like/
and you thought people were weird to relate Vicarous to Schism..this guy thinks everything sounds like schism so far! haha :lol:

User avatar
Boldizar
Optomist
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:15 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by Boldizar » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 am

A repeated chant of “All Hail” eventually gives way to a section...
Wat... Descending?
Dan Brown's Fear Inoculum: Best novel ever written, inspiring, worth the wait, not enough yelling, every page reads like the DaVinci Code... 3/10

User avatar
Boldizar
Optomist
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:15 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by Boldizar » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:00 am

hellboy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:38 am
Another one on Metal Sucks. Interesting to read one from a perspective that isn't just full of superlatives: https://www.metalsucks.net/2019/08/14/w ... unds-like/
Honestly, I think this is the best review so far. It doesn't give to much away and even though the author isn't that descriptive, he is obviously being completely honest with himself and the audience, rather than simply talking about how infallible Tool is and that this album is an instant masterpiece. This is what he felt and some things he heard. This is good criticism and why criticism is better than mindless adulation.

I am not sure how he gets Schism from Fear Inoculation. I do agree that the track lacks a certain punch in comparison to other album openers.
Dan Brown's Fear Inoculum: Best novel ever written, inspiring, worth the wait, not enough yelling, every page reads like the DaVinci Code... 3/10

rshforgothispw
Fornicraster
Posts: 575
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:54 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by rshforgothispw » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:41 am

OCEAN NOISES

WTF

earthrocker
Green Herbsman
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 9:59 am
Height: Short
Location: Always Changing

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by earthrocker » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:44 am

FWIW. Metal hammer, unsurprisingly, have a Tool issue coming soon too folks
Don't listen to Cog

User avatar
brewdog123
RIP
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:01 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by brewdog123 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:51 am

St. Troy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:43 am
xZ1mM3r wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:33 pm
It should be noted that the interludes on track 3, 5 and 10 will not be on the physical CD and will only be listenable on the digital version of the album.
I haven't concerned myself with the download card until now because I didn't/couldn't take seriously the notion that the band would release a CD containing only part of the album, but since it now appears that they have taken this moronic and indefensible step, I have some questions:

Does the "digital download card" have files on it, or does it grant access to something online from which you download the files?

Amazon describes it as an "MP3 download card," whereas the toolband.com August newsletter describes it as a "digital download card" - do we know if these files will be MP3, or something else?

Will the sound quality differ between those two sources (CD and the download files)? It sure as hell will reek if 3 tracks are noticeably weaker in quality (I worry that MP3 files - if that's what they are - can't be as high quality as the CD tracks, although I have very little experience with MP3 files), and if they differ, no way in hell would I just listen to the whole thing on MP3 for the sake of uniformity.

When I ask if the sound quality will differ, I should point out that I don't have audiophile speakers or headphones; mine is not a situation where I can say (as some have) things like "when I tried it out on my Klipsch system, the individual toms occupied different points in space, and I can hear Danny's stool creak when he leans in." I don't have the ability to find or hear sonic fingerprints, but if it's a meaningful difference, I will hear it, and I will be pissed.

Further background of my music process - what I do and why:

I only listen to music through my iPhone (home and vehicle are out of the question for various reasons), which means everything first gets loaded into iTunes on my laptop, and from there copied to my iPhone. When I receive my physical copy of FI, I will first copy the CD tracks to iTunes/laptop, and then the download files for the 3 tracks left off the CD. I will combine the two sources so that it all appears as one continuous album in iTunes (with proper running order etc.), and from there put it on my iPhone. If there were an option to download some kind of "super HD tracks" that aren't compatible with iTunes, they would be of no use to me.
excellent points. i found it very strange the whole album is not on one disc or split on 2 discs. i cant think of a rationale to release it in the way they are

User avatar
Boldizar
Optomist
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:15 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by Boldizar » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:08 am

The Wall is 2CDs and only 81:08.
Dan Brown's Fear Inoculum: Best novel ever written, inspiring, worth the wait, not enough yelling, every page reads like the DaVinci Code... 3/10

rshforgothispw
Fornicraster
Posts: 575
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:54 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by rshforgothispw » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:12 am

The kerrang interview is what got my full attention the most. Maybe because it was an interview rather than an album review. Justin and Danny’s banter was great to read. I have mostly been underwhelmed by the other articles, but hearing Justin be excited for the packaging perked me right up. It’s so strange to look back at tool and my life that grew listening to them change so much - but not really. This is it guys. What we have endlessly been waiting for. It’s here.

Danny
Has been
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by Danny » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:14 am

hellboy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:45 am
Sprout wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:29 am
That Kerrang interview is actually worth reading.
Agreed, my favorite so far.
Yep, i didn’t get to read it earlier but i just got home from work and got into it, I love Justin’s humor.

I took a detour on my way home and got some Mdma, tomorrow is a holiday here( the assumption of Mary) so i’m gonna listen to FI and some other Tool and Floyd, i’m gonna trip my chocolate chips off.
I forgot my pen

St. Troy
My pain is just an excuse
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:09 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by St. Troy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:16 am

Danny wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:14 am
I took a detour on my way home and got some Mdma, tomorrow is a holiday here( the assumption of Mary) so i’m gonna listen to FI and some other Tool and Floyd, i’m gonna trip my chocolate chips off.
The authorities have been notified. :geek:

User avatar
the chill
Duck Hater
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:40 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by the chill » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:20 am

St. Troy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:43 am

I only listen to music through my iPhone (home and vehicle are out of the question for various reasons), which means everything first gets loaded into iTunes on my laptop, and from there copied to my iPhone. When I receive my physical copy of FI, I will first copy the CD tracks to iTunes/laptop, and then the download files for the 3 tracks left off the CD. I will combine the two sources so that it all appears as one continuous album in iTunes (with proper running order etc.), and from there put it on my iPhone. If there were an option to download some kind of "super HD tracks" that aren't compatible with iTunes, they would be of no use to me.
I am going to guess that the digital download will be all of the tracks in FI in great digital quality and you will be able to easily download them to your computer and throw them on iTunes. You won’t have to worry about ripping the CD on iTunes. I obliviously don’t know, but think it will be like a digital download that a lot of new vinyls include, so you can have the whole album digitally.

St. Troy
My pain is just an excuse
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:09 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by St. Troy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:29 am

the chill wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:20 am
I am going to guess that the digital download will be all of the tracks in FI in great digital quality and you will be able to easily download them to your computer and throw them on iTunes. You won’t have to worry about ripping the CD on iTunes. I obliviously don’t know, but think it will be like a digital download that a lot of new vinyls include, so you can have the whole album digitally.
Thanks.

User avatar
Shed523
Geacon
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by Shed523 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:39 am

So Litanie contre la Peur translates to "Litany against Fear" but also seams to directly relate to "Dune" which appears to be a French novel or series of novels Written by Frank Herbert. I remember seeing in one of the snapshots from the recently released mags a mention of "Dune" being some sort of influence.
All well Whatever, Nevermind

St. Troy
My pain is just an excuse
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:09 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by St. Troy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:48 am

Ah, Dune - the greatest book I ever hated reading.

User avatar
ms2r
Pencildick
Posts: 863
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:05 am

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by ms2r » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:20 am

Shed523 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:39 am
So Litanie contre la Peur translates to "Litany against Fear" but also seams to directly relate to "Dune" which appears to be a French novel or series of novels Written by Frank Herbert. I remember seeing in one of the snapshots from the recently released mags a mention of "Dune" being some sort of influence.
There is nothing french about the Dune novels. Cool books! The books from Brian Herbert in the serie are a lot weaker.
Dennis Villeneuve is directing a new adaption of the first book. Release 2020 with a pretty good cast.

Post Reply