Culling Voices

ms2r
Shankdagger

Re: Culling Voices

Post by ms2r » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:09 pm

Yeah, I agree.

Culling voices is the song that brings the feeling of the once invincible warrior, who took the test against fear and found his pneuma, takes the descending path in the abyss. Thus in deepest dungeon it are the Culling Voices that try to stop him. And in 7empest the final battle against the deceiver takes place.

Thus, yes, Culling Voices has the perfect tone and placement on the album.

children
Metalologist

Post by children » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:30 pm

Is this where the nano guitar was used possibly? If that wasn't something made up by Blair that is..
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson

_peterpwn02
Maynard Believer

Post by _peterpwn02 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:08 pm

ms2r wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:09 pm
Culling voices is the song that brings the feeling of the once invincible warrior, who took the test against fear and found his pneuma, takes the descending path in the abyss. Thus in deepest dungeon it are the Culling Voices that try to stop him. And in 7empest the final battle against the deceiver takes place.
i think you're on to something here, Maynard told in an interview like a year or two ago about his book, that he was reading again Joseph Campbell's Hero with a thousand faces and that it had a great impact on him...
i really like your ideas here, and after reading it, Culling Voices had a different, cinematic climax with the descendant hero founding his strenght and vision and break through forces of culling voices, yeah, i dig it, also Descending for me was society or the world descending but i was too literally following the lyrics, never thought of it as a part of the hero's journey and descending to the underworld again, tired warrior with old tricks (as maynard and the band generally) but because of its just the fate of the warrior he has to connect/remember/recognise/re-call pneuma and after the tempest bring back the fear inoculum (as the holy grail or whatever) as a hero brings back something for us to remember and rejuvenate life
i really start to look at this album in a different light, cheers mate

(also i'm into the reverse order and alternative tracklist kind of stuff now, and i like to see this album as rubic cube segments of a hero journey that you can play with)

this fucking band....i really think they made their Wall (with potential for a movie)

Shed523
Phony

Post by Shed523 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:41 am

This dude nails all three guitars!
All well Whatever, Nevermind

ToolFanFromWayBack
Has been
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:08 pm

Culling Voices is the most APC song I have heard out of Tool. Also, for about a week I thought CV was one of the "experimental" tracks and was skipping it.

Busty McCracken
Barnacle Bill

Post by Busty McCracken » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:25 pm

Have ya tried editing it?
Listen to Cog

Boldizar
Green Herbsman

Post by Boldizar » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:12 am

Busty McCracken wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:25 pm
Have ya tried editing it?
I've doubled and tripled the length, but nothing seems to work.
Dan Brown's Fear Inoculum: Best novel ever written, inspiring, worth the wait, not enough yelling, every page reads like the DaVinci Code... 3/10