Culling Voices

User avatar
Shed523
Has been
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Culling Voices

Post by Shed523 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:57 am

hellboy wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:17 am


I don't think that final riff is even half as good as the one in Right In Two tbh
While I also think the Right In Two riff and the Triad riff are better it just kind of reminded me of the build and release in those tunes. Honestly I think if this thing had winded down like Intension people would be bashing it.
All well Whatever, Nevermind

User avatar
tys0n
Queric
Posts: 2726
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: Culling Voices

Post by tys0n » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:07 am

lol no

There was no tension to be released in this song, it wasn't building to anything.
Canned audience laughter

tompie
Bronco's Fan
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:30 pm

Re: Culling Voices

Post by tompie » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:50 am

hellboy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:09 pm
I love the first 2/3rds of this song. The melodic ballad stuff is great and mostly unique for Tool. I still find the ending pretty bland though. I think if they'd just made it a ballad, or perhaps a more Intension style ending it would have turned out as a better song
this here is the correct take

User avatar
Kittaan
Creeper
Posts: 4717
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:56 am
Location: , Location, Location!

Re: Culling Voices

Post by Kittaan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:38 am

May I suggest an edit?

I am still digging the ending, but you cunts make a good point. Further listening is required. I’ll be back.
Ki77aan :twisted:

User avatar
ms2r
Shankdagger
Posts: 714
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:05 am

Re: Culling Voices

Post by ms2r » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:54 am

Don't listen, don't edit. Culling Voices is hypnotizing enough.

User avatar
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Posts: 705
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:58 pm
Height: 7.5inches
Contact:

Re: Culling Voices

Post by snazzlefrass » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:12 pm

I edited it down to 3 minutes. Seems to help with my ADHD. Plus the album flows sooooo much better.
I like legos!!

User avatar
fractal-machine
Has been
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:13 am
Location: Behind you

Re: Culling Voices

Post by fractal-machine » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:45 pm

ms2r wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:54 am
Don't listen, don't edit. Culling Voices is hypnotizing enough.
Haunting
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.

User avatar
PimPle
RIP
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:16 am

Re: Culling Voices

Post by PimPle » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:50 pm

Listening to the album on the way in to work this morning, I was thinking how much I like this song. It continues to grow on me with every listen.
Be good to each other.

7oolband
My pain is just an excuse
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:25 pm

Re: Culling Voices

Post by 7oolband » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Culling Voices is a great song. I think Tool made the choice to keep every song with a heavy finish because of the small amount of songs on the album. there is a spot in the middle of the song for an edit if you guys choose to roll that way. i used to skip to Lateralus at 5:54 of Ticks. Do what you need to do to make the art meaningful to you. i might just skip forward between the 5:20~5:30 mark. MJK vox get trippy and seems like a good place to keep it trippy and chill at. if you feel like letting Tool kick ass for another 4 minutes you can do that too. it's like two songs in one. wow now i love it even more. it is whatever you want or need!
:?: i was right, this changes everything|devil&his had me down|this tedious path i've chosen here|what's coming through is alive|slipping back into the gap again|rRrreal fuckin high on drugs|spark becomes a flame|mention anything to me :!:

User avatar
Kittaan
Creeper
Posts: 4717
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:56 am
Location: , Location, Location!

Re: Culling Voices

Post by Kittaan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:55 pm

Nah, the edit comment was a callback.... no editing necessary for me.
Ki77aan :twisted:

7oolband
My pain is just an excuse
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:25 pm

Re: Culling Voices

Post by 7oolband » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:51 am

Me neither, but it is there as a tool if u want to use the song as an intension/disposition style chill song.

Listening all the way to the end is very satisfying contrast to the rest of the jam songs. This song is very straight forward and kicks your ass in an up close and personal way.
:?: i was right, this changes everything|devil&his had me down|this tedious path i've chosen here|what's coming through is alive|slipping back into the gap again|rRrreal fuckin high on drugs|spark becomes a flame|mention anything to me :!:

User avatar
hellboy
Site Admin
Posts: 11200
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:01 pm
Height: 182cm
Contact:

Re: Culling Voices

Post by hellboy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:11 am

Just can't really get into this song. I think it'd be in the bottom 10 non-segue Tool songs for me, despite how much I enjoy the intro.

User avatar
ziggy23
Lost Cosmonaut
Posts: 3190
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:10 am
Location: TURN ON, TUNE IN, DROP OUT

Re: Culling Voices

Post by ziggy23 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:38 am

hellboy wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:11 am
Just can't really get into this song. I think it'd be in the bottom 10 non-segue Tool songs for me, despite how much I enjoy the intro.
Same here. The least listened song on the album for me at the current moment.
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.

User avatar
hellboy
Site Admin
Posts: 11200
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:01 pm
Height: 182cm
Contact:

Re: Culling Voices

Post by hellboy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:52 am

ziggy23 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:38 am
hellboy wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:11 am
Just can't really get into this song. I think it'd be in the bottom 10 non-segue Tool songs for me, despite how much I enjoy the intro.
Same here. The least listened song on the album for me at the current moment.
I'd have to go all the way back to Undertow to find a track I like less than this one. It's not a bad track per se, I just find it quite by the numbers and mundane for Tool.

User avatar
Boldizar
Green Herbsman
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:15 am

Re: Culling Voices

Post by Boldizar » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:07 am

hellboy wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:52 am
ziggy23 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:38 am
hellboy wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:11 am
Just can't really get into this song. I think it'd be in the bottom 10 non-segue Tool songs for me, despite how much I enjoy the intro.
Same here. The least listened song on the album for me at the current moment.
I'd have to go all the way back to Undertow to find a track I like less than this one. It's not a bad track per se, I just find it quite by the numbers and mundane for Tool.
By the numbers? This is one of the most format divergent songs they've ever done. Half of it is a freaking ballad.
Dan Brown's Fear Inoculum: Best novel ever written, inspiring, worth the wait, not enough yelling, every page reads like the DaVinci Code... 3/10

tompie
Bronco's Fan
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:30 pm

Re: Culling Voices

Post by tompie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:31 am

I'm of two minds on this track. With respect to my actual sensibilities it ranks pretty low for me. Similarly to Hellboy, not only is it one of my least favourite tracks on the record but I also can't say I like it more than a vast majority of the catalogue. That being said, I think Boldizar hits the nail on the head. Compared to other Tool tracks, this one is REALLY REALLY different. Three guitar tracks? Ballad-esque intro? Simple ending riff repeated twice? It's an anomaly. For that reason I actually find it kinda compelling and never skip it. I imagine this one was written very differently and I think Justin even alluded to that in one of his recent interviews (was it the German Visions?)

User avatar
Raffa D
My pain is just an excuse
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 4:11 am

Re: Culling Voices

Post by Raffa D » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:58 am

It's beautifully written and sung. I don't want to compare it with other songs. It's an emotional beauty on his own.
It doesn't need complexity. The suspense and emotional lyrical release is doing it for me.

User avatar
Busty McCracken
Barnacle Bill
Posts: 2300
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: Culling Voices

Post by Busty McCracken » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:37 pm

I've said before I can see why some are having a hard time getting into it and feel the heavier ending is a bit of a by the numbers effort.

I was thinking about the criticisms yesterday when i was listening to it and as I've also said before, THAT bass lick when it kicks in is a thing of god damn beauty. Especially with the bass tone he's got going. It sounds to me and could be totally wrong on this but maybe it was a bit of a GNR moment with paradise city in that they had the first half of the song and had no idea where to take it and Justin's bass line inspired the heavier bit? I honestly can't see how they could have kept the song mellow ala Intension after that bass line and I'm sure glad they kept it in so I for one love it!
Listen to Cog

User avatar
ziggy23
Lost Cosmonaut
Posts: 3190
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:10 am
Location: TURN ON, TUNE IN, DROP OUT

Re: Culling Voices

Post by ziggy23 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:39 pm

I guess I'll come back to this song later, not now.
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.

User avatar
hellboy
Site Admin
Posts: 11200
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:01 pm
Height: 182cm
Contact:

Re: Culling Voices

Post by hellboy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Boldizar wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:07 am
\


By the numbers? This is one of the most format divergent songs they've ever done. Half of it is a freaking ballad.
I'm referring mostly to the second half. The ballad art, as I've said numerous times is excellent.

User avatar
Boldizar
Green Herbsman
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:15 am

Re: Culling Voices

Post by Boldizar » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:23 pm

Busty McCracken wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:37 pm
I've said before I can see why some are having a hard time getting into it and feel the heavier ending is a bit of a by the numbers effort.

I was thinking about the criticisms yesterday when i was listening to it and as I've also said before, THAT bass lick when it kicks in is a thing of god damn beauty. Especially with the bass tone he's got going. It sounds to me and could be totally wrong on this but maybe it was a bit of a GNR moment with paradise city in that they had the first half of the song and had no idea where to take it and Justin's bass line inspired the heavier bit? I honestly can't see how they could have kept the song mellow ala Intension after that bass line and I'm sure glad they kept it in so I for one love it!
Busty that line is awesome.
Dan Brown's Fear Inoculum: Best novel ever written, inspiring, worth the wait, not enough yelling, every page reads like the DaVinci Code... 3/10

User avatar
Shed523
Has been
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Culling Voices

Post by Shed523 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:14 pm

There is a great Bass cover on YouTube that really highlights the bass line. Justin during the heavy part is a fucking boss just gets lost a little in the mix but after watching that video you can really get it.
All well Whatever, Nevermind

User avatar
Busty McCracken
Barnacle Bill
Posts: 2300
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: Culling Voices

Post by Busty McCracken » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:44 pm

Shed523 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:14 pm
There is a great Bass cover on YouTube that really highlights the bass line. Justin during the heavy part is a fucking boss just gets lost a little in the mix but after watching that video you can really get it.
Just checked it out. Cheers for the tip!
Listen to Cog

User avatar
Shed523
Has been
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Culling Voices

Post by Shed523 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:22 pm

Busty McCracken wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:44 pm
Shed523 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:14 pm
There is a great Bass cover on YouTube that really highlights the bass line. Justin during the heavy part is a fucking boss just gets lost a little in the mix but after watching that video you can really get it.
Just checked it out. Cheers for the tip!
Cheers! Fucking Love this song!
All well Whatever, Nevermind

7oolband
My pain is just an excuse
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:25 pm

Re: Culling Voices

Post by 7oolband » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:07 pm

hellboy wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:52 am
ziggy23 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:38 am
hellboy wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:11 am
Just can't really get into this song. I think it'd be in the bottom 10 non-segue Tool songs for me, despite how much I enjoy the intro.
Same here. The least listened song on the album for me at the current moment.
I'd have to go all the way back to Undertow to find a track I like less than this one. It's not a bad track per se, I just find it quite by the numbers and mundane for Tool.
In the context of the album it is a masterpiece of a work. To have the eerie cold intro after Descending...it is literally the calm before the storm. About it being by the numbers and mundane well i would say that is true and in a sense nothing special but the timing of this kind of song is what grips me. The nuance and lack of screaming by MJK, the heavy finish and united sound by the boys...who knows how many more of these tunes we will be hearing. This song is special for many other reasons, but the tone and the timing of it is just masterfully executed.
:?: i was right, this changes everything|devil&his had me down|this tedious path i've chosen here|what's coming through is alive|slipping back into the gap again|rRrreal fuckin high on drugs|spark becomes a flame|mention anything to me :!:

Post Reply