Tool Oz + NZ Feb 2020 Tour discussion

"Follow the evidence" to dates in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Auckland in February 2020
junior
Green Herbsman

Re: Tool Oz + NZ Feb 2020 Tour discussion

Post by junior »

Merkaba wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:18 pm
I spotted a large-ish video camera setup in the lighting section of the sound desk area, I’m assuming it’s for Junior’s crew to watch back and make changes to the show, if required?
Man, I’d love to get a copy of that recording. I also noticed a few speakers at the front of the stage that looked mic’d up too, I wonder if it was recorded?
The camera serves a few purposes. It's on one wide locked shot of the stage.
Breck (our video director) uses a full stage shot for a few "video feedback" effects. Most noticeably during the first "Tears in my eyes.." section of "Invincible", and during the talk box solo of "Jambi". Sort of a fuzzy infinity mirror effect.
The show gets saved onto a memory card or hard drive. What the band does with them is anyone's guess. Filed away, most likely.
Occasionally when working on a new song for the show (such as "Tempest") Breck will save off a copy of what we did that night so we can look at it later, critique it, and maybe make some changes.

The microphones at the front of the stage are for the monitor engineer to feed ambiance into the in-ear monitors. That way the band don't only hear what they are playing, but a little of the room as well.
In-ears block out a lot of what's going on around you, so it's their only way of hearing the crowd.
I don't know if they are all using in-ears as of yet, but I think they've all tried them in the past year, at least.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Interesting info Junior. Hope this downtime is treating you well, and that the band is taking care of you and the rest of the crew. Stay healthy and we’ll see you on the road sometime in the future.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Merkaba
Fanboi

Post by Merkaba »

Thanks for the detailed feedback Junior, I didn’t half expect you to see my review, or read it for that matter.

Thanks for clearing up some of those points, really sheds light on exactly how much your team is doing back there.

Awesome stuff, take care during these strange times.