Top 13 albums of 2013

A collection of "Best Album" threads
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Re: Top 13 albums of 2013

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy wrote:
petemasterpete wrote: Agrimonia: I like the layered guitars, but it's really too bad the drumming is so damned pedestrian in comparison (not dissimilar to how Hammett outclasses Lars) ... bonus: chick death metal singer that didn't entirely annoy me all of the time (even had to google them to confirm it was a gal, indeed, screaming at me)
Really? I presumed it was a dude. Didn't find the drumming that much of a detraction personally. He's no Danny Carey but seems quite capable.
yep ... saw a band pic noting vox/keys: Christina
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Yeah, now that I listen more closely I can pick it.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

MK ... My list is as follows:

One of Us is the Killer - DEP (the most complete record of the year ... a little bit of everything and done well)
Abandon All Life - Nails (no surprise, I been flogging this record all year)
Vexavoid - Portal (the one record I discovered directly due to fourtheye this year ... that makes this site entirely worth while)
The Raven Refused to Sing - Steven Wilson (the live show really brought this record to life for me)
Self-Titled - Bosnian Rainbows (cannot believe Omar finally released something I like, and it's this)
Habitual Levitations - Intronaut (seem to be setting a solid standard for the rest of their peers in this genre)
Sky Burial - Inter Arma (I think the psychedelic aspect sets it apart from other stoner/post rock shit from this year)
Memorial - Russian Circles (a bit short for them, but a solid listen)
Self-Titled - Palms (yes, Chino, blah fucking blah ... FUCK YOU! Room for improvement with these guys, but I think it's a solid effort for a "super group")
Sunbather - Deafheaven (not as groundbreaking as the interweb would have you think, but a solid fucking record ... great tones and the drumming is tits)
Sole Creation - Kongh (just fell in love with this over the weekend ... great all around and the 'clean vox' are nothing short of brilliant in mine ear balls)
Book of Souls - Secret Chiefs (fucking Halloween Theme Song!)
Clean - Whores (holy shit ... fuck it, I've listened to this EP 5 times in the last 12 hours)

Honourable Mentions and other notes on records from bands I generally hold in high regard:

*Gov't Plates - Death Grips (first five or so tracks are great. it tails off a bit, but those first couple songs save it, and are heavier than most of the shit you listen to) - weakest record on my 13, replaced by Kongh (Sole Creation)
Volto!: yes, I'm a fanboy and find several parts of this record I enjoy thoroughly
Bowie: The Next Day - cuz he's Bowie and the record isn't overly memorable, but it's not bad for an old man
Nick Cave: Push the Sky Away - cuz he's him and although not always my favourite thing to listen to, it's also a quality record
Mark Lanegan & Duke Garwood: Black Pudding - Duke's a great instrumentalist and composer ... most people can do neither and he put Lanegan over the top of it.
Clutch: Earth Rocker - good record, but not quite the staying power with me as some of their past offerings
Melvins: Tres Cabrones - getting back to form, fun listen, this record
Queens of the Stone Age: ... Like Clockwork - it's not a horrible album by any means, but it's not 6 years wait great either ... not enough ass-shaking rock n' roll
Boards of Canada: Tomorrow's Harvest - Solid offering, but it's been a long wait between records and this one hasn't stuck with me like past offerings.
Red Fang: Whales and Leeches - Solid offering, stretched their style a bit more.
Deltron: Event II - missed the mark ... I think I like it less with every listen, but BIG shoes to fill following 3030.
Tomahawk: Oddfellows - I don't hate it, I just know they could put out a much better record

and the most underwhelming/disappointing record of the year goes to ...

Nine Inch Nails, for Hesitation Marks. Sorry Trent, but this record blows ... not a moment of enjoyment in it for me. I'm still paying to see you this year, cuz your shows are rad and I know you'll bring some of these tunes to life in the live setting and at the very least I'll enjoy some absolute classic tunes. But holy shit ... did I mention this record blows?

will edit accordingly if something springs to mind

1,000th post ... w00t!
Last edited by petemasterpete on Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I think on the list I submitted for the poll, I put the Doomstar Requiem at number 10, but I've since changed my mind.

1. Sunbather - Deafheaven
2. Revocation - Revocation
3. Trouble Will Find Us - The National
4. …Like Clockwork - Queens Of The Stone Age
5. Ultraviolet - Kylesa
6. One Of Us Is The Killer - The Dillinger Escape Plan
7. Kveikur - Sigur Ros
8. Memorial - Russian Circles
9. Tres Cabrones - Melvins
10. Infestissumam - Ghost
11. The Doomstar Requiem - A Klok Opera - Metalocalypse
12.Whales and Leeches - Red Fang
13. Earth Rocker - Clutch
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

petemasterpete wrote:MK ... My list is as follows:
It's a good list from my perspective, and really highlights what has been a common thread for me - disappointing albums. NIN, Clutch, TOmahawk, Nick Cave and to a lesser extent Deltron and Red Fang all released records that I expected more of.

I can't remember a year when so many bands I respect released albums I consider sub par. There will be more new to me bands in my top albums list then ever this year.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy wrote:
It's a good list from my perspective, and really highlights what has been a common thread for me - disappointing albums. NIN, Clutch, TOmahawk, Nick Cave and to a lesser extent Deltron and Red Fang all released records that I expected more of.

I can't remember a year when so many bands I respect released albums I consider sub par. There will be more new to me bands in my top albums list then ever this year.
yeah, that's exactly how the year was ... a large collection of records from quality bands I've followed for years that just weren't that good. It's not to say they were all bad records, but there was a chance for an historical type year of releases and I admittedly did probably over anticipate more than usual knowing that going into the year. But far from being a disappointing year for music, as The Boss stated somewhere, there was a huge contingent of relevant, quality music to discover ... seemed a bit of a changing of the guard, perhaps, in relation to the sinkers, the floaters and the swimmers.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

petemasterpete wrote:
hellboy wrote:

yeah, that's exactly how the year was ... a large collection of records from quality bands I've followed for years that just weren't that good. It's not to say they were all bad records, but there was a chance for an historical type year of releases and I admittedly did probably over anticipate more than usual knowing that going into the year. But far from being a disappointing year for music, as The Boss stated somewhere, there was a huge contingent of relevant, quality music to discover ... seemed a bit of a changing of the guard, perhaps, in relation to the sinkers, the floaters and the swimmers.
I was going to post basically the same thing. well said.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:11. The Doomstar Requiem - A Klok Opera - Metalocalypse
I wasn't a big fan of the mini movie (though I must admit that it has grown on me) but I thought it worked very well as an album.

The Abigail's Lullaby/Some Time Ago..../The Duel trio might just be my favorite thing musically that Dethklok/Metalocalypse/Brendon Small has ever done. Which is saying a lot because I freaking love the first two albums.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I hope he ends up putting a tour together. I'd love to see it live.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Also while the album is great, it doesn't have this:

Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ravenpig wrote:The Abigail's Lullaby/Some Time Ago..../The Duel trio might just be my favorite thing musically that Dethklok/Metalocalypse/Brendon Small has ever done.
Better than this:

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Don't mow your lawn
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

#1 The Knife - Shaking the Habitual

In no particular order

Haim - Days are gone
Kanye West - Yeezus
Karnivool - Asymmetry
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
Palms - Palms
Whores - Clean
Danny Brown - Old
QOTSA - Like Clockwork
Deafheaven - Sunbather
Dead Letter Circus - The Catalyst Fire
Fuck Buttons - Slow Focus
Major Lazer - Free the Universe
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Here's one that might have made my top list had I heard it before today. Anyone else listened to these guys before?

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Professor of Lesbian Science
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I'll wait till I get some shrooms so I can give an honest opinion.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

You're thinking of budsy, not basejumper.

I know, I get those two confused all the fucking time.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Still, I need some fucking shrooms
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

So I promised UND I'd do my best to fill one of these out myself, so here it is. I will use the disclaimer, however, that I did NOT vote for half of these in the "Top 10" voting that ended a few weeks ago (I think my list was only 7 albums). Without further ado:

AOTY:

Intronaut- Habitual Levitations (Instilling Words with Tones) I like it more now than the first few times I heard it, which is the exact opposite effect that I'm unfortunately getting with Valley of Smoke. Prehistoricisms, however, RULES. (A song about australopithecus!)

The "names" section None is great but I gotta fill this list up somehow.

Queens of the Stone Age- .....Like Clockwork
NIN- Hesitation Marks
Metalocalypse: The Doomstar Requiem (probably the best of this little bunch)
VOLTO!- Incitaire (They're a "name" here)

The "unexpecteds" section

Ormen Lange- Ormen Lange
Skeletonwitch- Serpents Unleashed
Euporie Tide- Causa Sui
Red Fang- Whales and Leeches

The "only because I promised to get to 13" section

The Screaming Matches- Grownass Man
How to Destroy Angels- Welcome Oblivion
Clutch- Earth Rocker (liked it but I'm reallllllyyyy reaching here)
Black Sabbath- 13 (Ha ha ha get it? Get it? I'm hilarious)

That was pretty tough to fill out. I'm sure there are some albums I totally forgot about, as you might be able to tell from the last section.
Hey! Denty!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

^ugh
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Yep, it's a pretty crappy list, which is why I didn't do one to begin with. As I said, only did it cause Und asked me to.
Hey! Denty!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

all good ... that's, like, your opinion, man
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Any list with Sabbath in it screams "I only listened to 13 albums this year".
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy wrote:Any list with Sabbath in it screams "I only listened to 13 albums this year".
that was going to be my exact response, but I was trying to be nice for a change
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

It was a joke, thought I made that clear enough. I struggled to come up with this list, did no one see that part?

The whole last section was me really reaching for something.

As I said, I'm sure there are albums that I legit liked that I missed.
Hey! Denty!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Ravenpig wrote:It was a joke, thought I made that clear enough. I struggled to come up with this list, did no one see that part?

The whole last section was me really reaching for something.

As I said, I'm sure there are albums that I legit liked that I missed.
but none of them were on the other shitty lists that didn't include sabbath, right?
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Not really sure what you're asking there.

I didn't originally make a list because I either didn't listen to enough albums released in 2013 or the ones I liked more than average were by bands whose names were new to me and now I can't remember them. I struggled to even come up with the 7 albums I voted for in the year end voting.

I wasn't even all that happy with that list either, to be honest.
Hey! Denty!