Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by hellboy »

tys0n wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:05 pm Was Undertow really that heavy compared to their other albums?

I've never thought so.
I don't think anyone does really. I remember 10,000 Days being compared to Undertow be early listeners as well, and it didn't really turn out that way.

Also, I still think Undertow is a great sounding album, in many ways better than their later records, but not categorically better. Undertow has a great sense of space on the recording, which their later albums don't have - they're a bit more wall of soundish. For me it's hard to say one style id preferred over the other, though I think Aenima, Lateralus & 10k Days are all better albums overall.
purplepanther777
Bronco's Fan

Post by purplepanther777 »

" I remember 10,000 Days being compared to Undertow be early listeners as well, and it didn't really turn out that way."

lol that's what I thought as soon as he said it. I thought hmmm I've heard that before haha
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Wasn't 10,000 days recorded in the same studio?

I remember making the same criticism years ago on tool navy and someone said 'similar in theme'

pfffft blow it our your ass
Canned audience laughter
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:52 pm There are so many amazing musicians out there who play in all kinds of crazy time signatures but lack any kind of hook. I know your not a Karnivool fan but they're a good example. Their first 2 albums has some cracking tunes on it but their last one lacked any substance. Musically it was off its head but lacked any groove.

Tools music has always been musically brilliant but still had that ability to draw you in. Was just saying I hope they havent fallen into that trap to show their ability more than write a killer groove coz that's what's always set them apart for me. I'm sure they'll nail it though.. they fuckin better anyway
Busty buddy!

100% agree with Karnivool, although I love the third album but where is the melody?

Also the drumming is atrocious.

I think they were trying their hardest not to be Birds of Tokyo.
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Aysmettery was as disappointing to me as I must be to any woman who I've ever slept with. All this build up for nothing.. technically brilliant but no hook, no hook melody.. just mehhh .

Hope they return to form on this 4th album they've been promising for a while now
Listen to All Them Witches
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The went too far down the post-rock path on Asymmetry. I actually don't mind the album though, and I think I prefer it over their older stuff. That said, I still don't really rate the band, and the vocals are tedious at best.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I think the shift from Undertow to Aenima is the last time Tool will sound that radically different between albums. And even then... still sounded very much like the same band. They kind of have their niche (christ, just learn some of the songs on the guitar to truly see the tiny, tiny little sandbox they stick to while also finding new things to do with it), but it's a great one. And they aren't ever deviating wildly from it.
insertcrypticnameher
Bronco's Fan

Post by insertcrypticnameher »

One area I could see them shifting to is building out the synth/electronic peripherals they’ve been geeking out about into an actual component of their music. Seems like they’ve been putting a lot of energy into an area that has never been anything more than window dressing.
Sprout
Fanboi

Post by Sprout »

tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Wish I never saw that, basically spoiled the new album
Canned audience laughter
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

joeypants wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:39 pm I think the shift from Undertow to Aenima is the last time Tool will sound that radically different between albums. And even then... still sounded very much like the same band. They kind of have their niche (christ, just learn some of the songs on the guitar to truly see the tiny, tiny little sandbox they stick to while also finding new things to do with it), but it's a great one. And they aren't ever deviating wildly from it.
Some of the change in sound after Undertow is also attributable to Justin joining. Going all the way back to Peach he just has such a distinct sound.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Absolutely.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Sprout wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:58 pm Aus tour confirmed.
https://www.toolband.com/news/458771/tool-newsletter
Come the fuck again?!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

You're a horrible human for getting my Hope's up like that
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Actually, I'm hearing rumours of later in July for Tool on Oz, so might be a thing. Some mention of Splendour in the Grass, but not convinced of that one personally.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Also:

tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

hellboy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:56 pm Some mention of Splendour in the Grass
God please no, fucking zoomers everywhere
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

tys0n wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:21 pm
hellboy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:56 pm Some mention of Splendour in the Grass
God please no, fucking zoomers everywhere
I don't there's much to worry about, i don't think it's the right demographic.
And besides, I'm sure they'd play other dates.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

hellboy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:56 pm Actually, I'm hearing rumours of later in July for Tool on Oz, so might be a thing. Some mention of Splendour in the Grass, but not convinced of that one personally.
Reeeeeaaaaaaally.... hmmm fingers crossed just in time for ma birthday
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Danny looks like Luther from Umbrella Academy. I expect him to have a massive, hairy, gorilla chest underneath his shirt.
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Do you think about Danny topless often?
Canned audience laughter
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:52 pm There are so many amazing musicians out there who play in all kinds of crazy time signatures but lack any kind of hook. I know your not a Karnivool fan but they're a good example. Their first 2 albums has some cracking tunes on it but their last one lacked any substance. Musically it was off its head but lacked any groove.

Tools music has always been musically brilliant but still had that ability to draw you in. Was just saying I hope they havent fallen into that trap to show their ability more than write a killer groove coz that's what's always set them apart for me. I'm sure they'll nail it though.. they fuckin better anyway
Asymmetry has plenty of groove and the hooks are there, they just don't jump out at you immediately like the first two albums did. The title Asymmetry is very fitting for that album because of how the grooves sound asymmetrical themselves in a way. The songs are like these misshapen organic constructs with jagged edges that feel off at first but have a lot of depth. I didn't even like 'We Are' at first but now I can't understand why I didn't like it. Some of their best work is on that album, but it took me a lot longer to grasp than Sound Awake and Themata, which were easy listening in comparison. Can't wait for album number 4. New Karnivool and Tool this year would be great!
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

tys0n wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:26 pm Do you think about Danny topless often?
Well I actually don't even like his drumming or Tool for that matter. When I listen to Tool I just imagine Danny topless while he plays. I thought that was the whole point of their music. Is that just me?
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Yeah weirdo, for me it's Adam sans pants with his guitar barely covering his perishables.
Canned audience laughter
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

:lol: