Movies, TV and other video based media
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Re: Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)

Post by Calfium Jay »

Game Of Thrones?

*snickers*
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I'm more of a Mars bar kinda guy
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

You're more obviously a Game Of Thrones kind of guy.

Color me surprised.

Is it better than Narnia?

:|
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I've never watched or read Narnia. Rather then being a dick, why don't you suggest what we should watch instead?
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Cal I have read and watched The Chronicles of Narnia and Game of Thrones is superior. I suggest you back out while you can save face. Obscure drone/experimental music might be your wheelhouse but Literature, in particular Speculative Fiction, is mine, and I will chew you up and spit you out in any debate. Stop being a dick and contribute. If you don't like Game of Thrones give your reasoning.

As for GoT it is by no means at or even near the top of the list when it comes to Epic Fantasy but it is very good and the tv adaptation up until this last episode has been largely excellent. As for the Long Knight episode, they did get a number of things right and while there were some significant plot related missteps I can't say it was terrible by any means. I also have to cut the writers a little slack. It takes a huge amount of money to make GoT and they are only doing 6 episodes to wrap up the entire series and that means a number of things are going to get cut and plot lines left open. I get why they went with the Arya angle but it could have been done in a much smarter way.

That said we do have three episodes left and it is certainly possible some of what happened might be explained further as we get thru these final episodes. Regardless the HBO adaption has been fantastic and while the payoff in the Long Knight may not have been exactly what many of us hoped for, that doesn't diminish what HBO has accomplished with the series.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

You know nothing Mog Snow.
Ki77aan :twisted:
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Kittaan wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:53 pm You know nothing Mog Snow.
You want a piece of this Craster?
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

I mostly watch crime documentaries. Serial killer/rape/murder stuff. Jon Benet etc. I can't think of any on-going soapie styled stuff that interests me.

I read mostly scientific research (multiverse theory etc) and fringe culture books.

My favorite authors are Nabakov and Gunter Grass. My favorite novel is The Master And Margarita by Bulgakov.

I read The Lord Of the Rings when I was 13.

GOT is essentially a Lord Of the Rings / Excalibur soapie with tits and blood and people having affairs. And some dragons.

Blow it out yr asses.

gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

Yo Mog you and I should shoot the shit about speculative fiction some time. That's my shit too.

GoT is great and all, but if it ends on a sour note I'm gonna be depressed. Endings are always my favorite part of any story. Like, people usually get sad when they finish their favorite series, but I'm always racing to the end. Hopefully D&B can pull off some spectacular shit. They did it before with the Battle of Hardhome, which is my favorite episode of the show and it wasn't even taken from the books.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

gamebounty wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:09 pm Yo Mog you and I should shoot the shit about speculative fiction some time. That's my shit too.
Right on man anytime I’m down
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

So last night's episode....Not really happy with the way they are painting Danny as the bad guy. She would make a better ruler than Jon. No chance of reconciliation now between the two of them. Sansa couldn't keep her fucking mouth shut. Jon should have went with option A...kept his mouth shut swore Bran and Sam to silence and go back to banging. He never wanted to be king anyway.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Yeah, but it wouldn't create as much drama is the status quo was maintained.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Bran wins it all anyway zzzzzzzz
Canned audience laughter
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:40 pm Yeah, but it wouldn't create as much drama is the status quo was maintained.
Of course it was never going to be happily ever after. Was glad to see Sam and Gilly made it thru always had a soft spot for Sam. He was Jon’s Frodo at times.

A bit disappointed with how they closed out the dire wolf arc as well. Another thing you gotta think Martin is going to expand on or at least I hope he does.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Is the dire wolf arc closed though?
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:01 am Is the dire wolf arc closed though?
Yeah I think so Jon had Tormund take Ghost up North when he left with the Wildlings. Although it would be hella cool if somewhere towards the end Jon is in trouble and Ghost came out of nowhere and fucked shit up. Doubt it will happen but it is the ending the Direwolf arc really deserves.
snazzl3frass
Has been
Height: Tall as fuck

Post by snazzl3frass »

Nymeria is still around somewhere. But yeah I was pissed Jon didn't at least give Ghost a better "goodbye" than just looking at him all sad n shit.
Sansa may be a bitch and all, but damn I'd smell the seat she sits in.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

They said the couldn’t do a proper goodbye because of CGI cost which is horseshit. They could have cut 10 mins of unnecessary filler from the Long Knight Episode to pay for it. Also someone put up a revised version of The Long Knight episode that was brighter and had a better ending. The brightness didn’t bother me but they made one small change that would have made a huge difference in the actual episode.

Rather than John just getting up and screaming at the dragon, the overdubbed him yelling GO GO GO to Arya and then she jumps in and kills the Knight King. Something so small literally would have made that episode significantly better. It would have made the Jon/Ice Dragon scene relevant and gave some kind of explanation as to how Arya got to the Knightking.

It still needed at least one more proper distraction...if Brann had Warged into the Knight King’s mind or summoned a bunch of Ravens. These are small details but they would have made a HUGE difference.

As I said earlier HBO has fucked up this season. It doesn’t take away how fantastic the show has been and I am still looking forward to the final two episodes but it is such a shame. The smallest additions could have made The Long Knight episode work so much better. I never had any issue at all with Arya killing the Knight King. My issue was how poorly executed it was in terms of set up.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

That they seem to be skipped over what Brann did while warged seems a little odd to me
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

Some of the theories from fans are intense and make more sense. I think there's something up with Bran, there has to be a story behind where/when he went during the long night. Maybe he'll be the new night king? It's kinda sad that fans are better writers than Dave and Dan. I think once they passed the books there was a gradual decline. Last episode was lame, hopefully tonight's is better otherwise we're in for a disappointing end to a great show. Also BS for blaming budget on not having the wolves. They're making huge profits off this show, they can't afford a couple million to make some great wolf CGI and do Ghost some damn justice? Fuck that
Nice couch. Fuck your couch.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Calfium Jay wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:50 pm I mostly watch crime documentaries. Serial killer/rape/murder stuff. Jon Benet etc. I can't think of any on-going soapie styled stuff that interests me.

I read mostly scientific research (multiverse theory etc) and fringe culture books.

My favorite authors are Nabakov and Gunter Grass. My favorite novel is The Master And Margarita by Bulgakov.

I read The Lord Of the Rings when I was 13.

GOT is essentially a Lord Of the Rings / Excalibur soapie with tits and blood and people having affairs. And some dragons.

Blow it out yr asses.
I'm not sure a Jon Benet doco doesn't qualify as a soapy. Gratuitous. populist and voyeuristic crime shows are more drama than doco in my opinion however I confess to a certain fondness to wasting time watching them.

GOT may not be reaching the heights in the screen writing that it did in earlier seasons but it well deserves to be the most watched tv show in the world. I'm not unhappy to be back to the political machinations of the competing families, supernatural plot lines bring great buildup and the possibility of unexpected developments but in the end it is a GOT in the land of men (I'm betting on a woman to finally rule though).

I loved lord of the rings and read it as a teenager as well. I'm unconvinced that the books share much more than a common genre.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

I'm really hoping for a twist with the Lord of Light. Dude must be evil. He spawned a demonic baby out of Melisandre. His resurrection of Jon Snow always felt ominous to me, and some scenes seem to foreshadow something bad happening to Jon. I'm thinking that once Jon becomes King of the Seven Kingdoms, the Lord of Light will make his move.

Also, sup liz! Long time no see
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Hi gamebouty, you might have something there. Just like in "American Gods" the power of the old gods is fading in the GOT world however Jon Snow represents their influence still and his fate seems likely to ultimately rest with their plans.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

Welp. That was unfortunate.
Nice couch. Fuck your couch.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Hey Liz welcome back

Sooooo about that episode yeah the butchering of character arcs and plot lines continues. Now from a purely cinematic standpoint it was incredible. Sound and camera work all sublime. Gleganebowl did not disappoint. Leaks were spot on.

Poor Dany my god bells ring and she burns the city wow have they destroyed her character in the blink of an eye. I am fine with her losing it but for fucks sake you need to build up to that. Episode one she is in love with Jon ready to fight to save the world. Episode three she is fighting the Night King again trying to save the world. Two episodes later she nukes Kings Landing. And then Jon, again, just sort of staring doing a lot of nothing. How could they fuck this up so badly? How could Martin think this would be a compelling ending? I mean they are working off his general outline. Yes there have been changes but some of this shit is on Martin.

The leaks again as I said were spot on so I am fairly confident in what is going to go down next week and I am fairly confident that it will likely be done in a piss poor manner.

I really feel bad for the actors and actresses who have all been outstanding and have spent 10 years of their lives on this only to see it all go up in smoke. To be clear the acting in Season 8 has been excellent it is the writing that is the issue.

I never expected anything close to any sort of happy ending this series was never about that. But I expect proper plot development and character arcs that make sense. I have no clue what has happened this season. I don’t understand how it went so far off the rails. As I have said multiple times this season’s failings do not diminish the overall quality of the show. It has been one hell of a ride. Sadly the ending has left much to be desired.